Will the Lakers Regret Trading Promising Center Ivica Zubac?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

The upside is Magic getting fired. First Lou, now Zu. Why can't people see that Magic has no idea how to evaluate talent? I mean he's got Lebron for free and still couldn't build a team with a winning record around. His signings have been awful. If you want to see the Lakers continue to be mediocre, then continue supporting him.
Air Kobe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
According to a podcast today, Brad Turner said a small part of the reason for trading Zubac was because McGee was upset with his playing time. Turner starts talking about trading ZU around the 50 minute mark:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-fna-27253319/episode/214-fna-brad-turner-30563518/

So, Turner makes the following points:
1. The Lakers were not able to afford ZU this summer
2. They wanted Beasley gone partly because of the locker room incident (the biggest key to the trade according to Brad)
3. If they wanted salary cap space this summer they would have to let ZU go even though they really like him (basically explaining his first point)
4. McGee felt frustrated because he wasn't playing as much, and about not starting (a small part of the trading of ZU according to Brad)

I can see the logic in points 1, 2, and 3. But if the FO traded ZU based partly on listening to McGee (like he's Bron or something) then that's just nuts.

I don't buy this.

First, I won't even talk about how absurd it'd be to listen to what McGee wants.

Second, if they wanted Beasley gone, all they had to do was cut the guy (which the Clippers did).

Last, if they traded Zubac so McGee can have more playing time, why in the world would they a) bring back another center in Muscala and b) go after Kanter in the buytout market?

It doesn't make any sense, I call it BS by Turner.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

Lakers may regret the trade, but Magic might not..

As I'm fairly sure Zu's NBA career will last longer than Magic's GM career...
HAL 9000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Air Kobe wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
According to a podcast today, Brad Turner said a small part of the reason for trading Zubac was because McGee was upset with his playing time.

So, Turner makes the following points:
4. McGee felt frustrated because he wasn't playing as much, and about not starting (a small part of the trading of ZU according to Brad)

I can see the logic in points 1, 2, and 3. But if the FO traded ZU based partly on listening to McGee (like he's Bron or something) then that's just nuts.

I don't buy this.

First, I won't even talk about how absurd it'd be to listen to what McGee wants.

It doesn't make any sense, I call it BS by Turner.

If McGee has a problem with playing time than ship his ass out and keep Zu. Absolute lunity if this rumor is true which I don't think it is.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

This trade was a head scratcher. In the off season it seemed to come down to Zu & T Bryant. I would have kept Bryant and let Zu go. This seemed to even show when he started playing really good for the Wizards. Then Zu got some real time and suddenly showed his worth. THEN they trade him?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

My only thought is that the Laks have given up on the trade but not on signing Davis as a free agent. Seems like they were criticized for not going all in for George and to a lessor extent, Leonard. With Davis, that can't be said: They went ALL in.

If this is the strategy, then Zubac would be only a back up. Also, since he is a restricted free agent, he might just get an offer between $5 - 10M, which, as a Laker, could be a problem.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Need to trade all of our young core cause apparently we can't pay them.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Zu/T.Bryant
Randle/Nance
JC
DLO

One thing you cant knock about this dysfunctional organization is their drafting ability.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject:

I don’t regret losing Zu but don’t like that we gave the Clippers a missing piece, a rim protector.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

Yes. We were all sold a bill-of-goods that a team we could be built with exciting youngsters (after years of trying to recycle retreads,) and now that promise is being dismantled piece-by-piece. Getting LeBronze, though he is quite a talent, was not a good move. Trading all the youngsters (or not re-signing them) is proving disastrous. The AD trade would have left us with two injury-prone super-stars (one fading,) and little else. The bungling of the trade has left us with a very fractured team........
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

I'm still puzzled by this move. He would have been the perfect low cap hold guy to be a starting center (even if he's not ready to consistently be a top tier starting center) that would fit with our max FA plan (doubt KD is coming and ergo why do we need to squeeze every little bit of cap space out to eek out 38m)?
Clipps
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
I'm wondering who called who first. I'm guessing Magic called first because I don't see how the Clippers would have known they had a shot at Zubac for Muscala.

Magic, "Yo Clips. you guys like Zubac?"

Clips, "Uh yeah, he seems to be up and coming. What will it take?"

Magic, "We need shooters."

Clips, "Just an idea, not saying this is our offer, but Mike Muscala hasn't unpacked his bags yet and he shot 40% from three, but that was last...."

Magic interrupts, "DEAL!"

Clips, "What, seriously?"

Replace Clips with West

West: “I have a 3rd round draft pick to offer you”
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakers should have got Shamet instead of Mus. This would allowed both teams to balance their rosters and the Lakers would a player under a rookie contract for 4 years.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Need to trade all of our young core cause apparently we can't pay them.

That's what you get for saving all your cap for those superstar free agents. Then you're left with handing out vet mins and can't sign anyone decent.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Randle, DLo, Nance, JC, T.Bryant, Svi and now Zubac... the price to get a 2nd max, TBD til this summer
Dont forget NBA all star Lou Williams.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Skip the hand-wringing about Zubac

I feel very little loss. I doubt we will ever regret Zubac's departure. Are there signs he's capable of becoming the daily starter for a decent club ? No, not really. He was third deep here, on a team struggling to make the playoffs.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

Not getting at least a draft pick back for him was bad.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

Terrible trade. Should’ve at least got a draft pick back
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

I don't mind trading him, as mentioned we can't afford him and he is too young to be a starting center on a championship squad. But I felt what we got for him was complete garbage.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

LoL always overvaluing our young guys
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
I don't mind trading him, as mentioned we can't afford him and he is too young to be a starting center on a championship squad. But I felt what we got for him was complete garbage.

Zubac maybe young, but him at center actually gave Warriors and Thunder fits in the paint. And we'll probably be facing them in the playoffs.

As for not being able to keep him, true, but at least for Zubac we have an *option* just in case. We can't afford Muscala either at $9.5 mil cap hold. At least Zubac, whose cap hold is just $1.9 mil, we have more options to do things in the off season.

This trade is really a head scratcher.

West really screwed Magic over imho. Magic could only pry Muscala who is only a 34% long ranger shooter without even securing a draft pick from the Clippers? Should've just kept Brook Lopez in the summer.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

The value in this trade won't be known until we see if Muscala shows out. I'm sure most would agree the Lakers could use some more shooting from deep.

Let's see how it goes.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Lakers may regret the trade, but Magic might not..

As I'm fairly sure Zu's NBA career will last longer than Magic's GM career...

Magic isn't the GM, he's the president of bball op.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

Damn. Pincus doesn’t hang out here anymore, but he drops these controversial threads at the worst times to promote his various media platforms. I’m not hating on him or on his success, but LG has been such a war zone lately. We can’t even enjoy a win over the Rockets without being dragged into a “(bleep) Magic” conversation. Like I said, it’s not Pincus’ fault, because he has a job to do. But LG has been an unbearable battle ground these days. Every chance the “(bleep) Magic” “(bleep) Lebron” crowd has to voice their displeasure, they do it. This thread is just another chance for them To fire away.

But anyways, congratulations on your success Emplay. And on a side note, does John Ireland really have beef with you?!?!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
george w kush wrote:

Zubac maybe young, but him at center actually gave Warriors and Thunder fits in the paint. And we'll probably be facing them in the playoffs.

As for not being able to keep him, true, but at least for Zubac we have an *option* just in case. We can't afford Muscala either at $9.5 mil cap hold. At least Zubac, whose cap hold is just $1.9 mil, we have more options to do things in the off season.

This trade is really a head scratcher.

West really screwed Magic over imho. Magic could only pry Muscala who is only a 34% long ranger shooter without even securing a draft pick from the Clippers? Should've just kept Brook Lopez in the summer.

West isn’t the GM. Just to let you know.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: