Magic to have meeting with team about AD saga
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakers win an inspired comeback game against Boston and everyone is happy!

Magic then shows up in Philly to give the team a talk about the trade deadline, Lakers lose by 20.

Magic travels with the team to Atlanta, Lakers lose to one of the bottom-dwelling team in the league.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Magic then shows up in Philly to give the team a talk about the trade deadline, Lakers lose by 20.

Magic travels with the team to Atlanta, Lakers lose to one of the bottom-dwelling team in the league.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

You're telling me no one bought into his (bleep)?
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Magic told them to tank so we can use that pick for AD. Good job, Lakers.
lakerlori
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
It's amazing how all the Lakers fans were calling the Clippers a classless organization for telling Blake Griffin they wanted him to be a Clipper for Life, and selling their belief in him, only to trade him halfway through the season behind his back and laugh at him not wanting a thing to do with a handshake from Ballmer this year.

But Magic gets a pass.

Magic doesn't get a pass from me. He stressed how they were going to let the young team grow together, then looks to unload them, gives away T Bryant, Randle, & Zubac (our best center) for nothing, & wants to get rid of them for AD. Even after there was reason to believe NO was not genuinely interested in making a deal, he over-bid, making a fool of the organization & making the players feel less valued. By leaking his trashing of Luke, he undermined the coach, & caused some players to not invest as much. My current main question is: how much of these are Magic & how much is Pelinka. I am leaning as Magic being more the problem because he's so arrogant & has an inflated sense of self. Pelinka seems more cautious & measured.
lakerlori
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

It was ugly the way the whole AD saga played out through the media, and Magic's mistake was not withdrawing from those negotiations sooner once he recognized the Pels were clearing (bleep) around with him. That being said, the Pels or Klutch did us dirty by releasing specific trade offers (if if it was really one of them, which is most likely the case), and I don't THINK that part can be blamed on Magic. Also, as far as I know, he never promised these kids that they were Lakers for life and the situation is completely different from a Clippers' team that specifically used that line in their pitch to get Blake to re-sign.

I don't know - I'm completely against this FO's approach to team-building and their asset management + ability to keep things close to the vest, but this time it looks like they just got caught in a pissing match between Klutch and the Pels.

One of my issues is: Why would Klutch know what the Lakers offered? Umm, the Lakers should not be discussing that w/ the agent.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

It's like when they brought in The Rock to do a peptalk last season. Didn't do a damn thing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

lakerlori wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

It was ugly the way the whole AD saga played out through the media, and Magic's mistake was not withdrawing from those negotiations sooner once he recognized the Pels were clearing (bleep) around with him. That being said, the Pels or Klutch did us dirty by releasing specific trade offers (if if it was really one of them, which is most likely the case), and I don't THINK that part can be blamed on Magic. Also, as far as I know, he never promised these kids that they were Lakers for life and the situation is completely different from a Clippers' team that specifically used that line in their pitch to get Blake to re-sign.

I don't know - I'm completely against this FO's approach to team-building and their asset management + ability to keep things close to the vest, but this time it looks like they just got caught in a pissing match between Klutch and the Pels.

One of my issues is: Why would Klutch know what the Lakers offered? Umm, the Lakers should not be discussing that w/ the agent.

Who do you think is whispering into Magic’s ears?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

lakerlori wrote:
MJST wrote:
It's amazing how all the Lakers fans were calling the Clippers a classless organization for telling Blake Griffin they wanted him to be a Clipper for Life, and selling their belief in him, only to trade him halfway through the season behind his back and laugh at him not wanting a thing to do with a handshake from Ballmer this year.

But Magic gets a pass.

Magic doesn't get a pass from me. He stressed how they were going to let the young team grow together, then looks to unload them, gives away T Bryant, Randle, & Zubac (our best center) for nothing, & wants to get rid of them for AD. Even after there was reason to believe NO was not genuinely interested in making a deal, he over-bid, making a fool of the organization & making the players feel less valued. By leaking his trashing of Luke, he undermined the coach, & caused some players to not invest as much. My current main question is: how much of these are Magic & how much is Pelinka. I am leaning as Magic being more the problem because he's so arrogant & has an inflated sense of self. Pelinka seems more cautious & measured.

Agreed.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Magic talks a lot of BS. He is in over his head. His only chance to redeem himself is hoping a max FA signs.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
lakerlori wrote:
MJST wrote:

But Magic gets a pass.

Agreed.

I assumed that Rob was the one who traded Svi and Zu (certainly with input from Magic). GMs are usually the ones making those "around the edge" trades. Not the presidents.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

lakerlori wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Brad Turner broke the news, and as he's admitted on Radio and as his intimate knowledge of what the Pelicans coaching staff thought, he was getting info from both camps. The most likely scenario is that the Pelicans leaked what the Lakers offered
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

I get the feeling the young guys don't feel like they have a future here that they are just chips for a trade.It's true they are pros they have to play their best for their own future wherever that may be.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:

I get the feeling the young guys don't feel like they have a future here that they are just chips for a trade.It's true they are pros they have to play their best for their own future wherever that may be.

Explains those odd tweets Kuzma did a few days ago
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

If I’m being honest, Magic seems, to me, to have a bit of Tank commander in him. Too proud to admit he’s messed up so he just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper. It’s a shame really because I think Rob can be a damn good GM, but his fate is probably tied with Magic.

The fact magic thinks he’s the guy who should be calling all the shots instead of giving his GM full anonymity. Couple that with last word that Magic was the one who made the call on Lonzo instead of following the scouting department who wanted Fox (and Robinson over Mo).
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
MJST wrote:
lakerlori wrote:
MJST wrote:

But Magic gets a pass.

Agreed.

I assumed that Rob was the one who traded Svi and Zu (certainly with input from Magic). GMs are usually the ones making those "around the edge" trades. Not the presidents.

I think it's pretty clear by now that Magic makes all basketball decisions on this team and that includes trades, big or small. Rob is there to dot the i's and cross the t's.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

The reactions here are hilarious. I'd bet had we not gone hard after AD once he specifically stated he wanted to be traded to the Lakers, the majority of folks here would be in an uproar over Magic's inability to make a deal. True there were no winners in this debacle, but business is business and even the players still on their rookie contracts need to understand they're very well compensated commodities. A team with LBJ and AD as a core would be a foundation to build several championship contenders around.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
The reactions here are hilarious. I'd bet had we not gone hard after AD once he specifically stated he wanted to be traded to the Lakers, the majority of folks here would be in an uproar over Magic's inability to make a deal. True there were no winners in this debacle, but business is business and even the players still on their rookie contracts need to understand they're very well compensated commodities. A team with LBJ and AD as a core would be a foundation to build several championship contenders around.
Thank you. people act like we havent read their post about PG13 when we didnt trade the farm for him. they went at magic and the FO/ORG. Basically magic can't win until we win it all. So its better for him to stick to his guns and his plan then to worry about what fans think at the moment.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:

Oh, but Pelinka is a snake for trying to trade for AD... just laughable.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

No, he's implying to you a bunch of BS.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

I think some of you are missing the point. We have no problem going hard for Anthony Davis. It’s just the way it was negotiated. Magic made everything public and opened the Lakers to severe scrutiny. When jerry west or Mitch kupchak made deals it usually came to us at surprise. Everything was kept on the DL until the last minute. Magic doesn’t do that and it’s highly annoying. He is like Donald trump running the lakers
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I think some of you are missing the point. We have no problem going hard for Anthony Davis. It’s just the way it was negotiated. Magic made everything public and opened the Lakers to severe scrutiny. When jerry west or Mitch kupchak made deals it usually came to us at surprise. Everything was kept on the DL until the last minute. Magic doesn’t do that and it’s highly annoying. He is like Donald trump running the lakers

Exactly my point. Ones those leaks started coming they should have done something about it.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject:

Bishop* wrote:
999 wrote:

Exactly my point. Ones those leaks started coming they should have done something about it.

The leaks were NOT coming from the Lakers end. The stuff that was being leaked came from Woj (Celtics mouthpiece), Turner (NOLA connects), Amick (Spurs mouthpiece) and others not associated with our FO. How do these other teams know the details? Given all of the reports that Demps was on the phone with other teams' GMs, there is where the leaks come.

NONE of us know what was real or being spun by other teams to make the Lakers look bad. What is known is that we have a huge number on this board who will immediately and automatically assume that the problem is Magic - not Maginka - but Magic himself. The Big, Black Bogeyman.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Should we review all the threads pissing and moaning about all the deals Mitch failed to pull the trigger on? (The ones we never heard about.)

I'm not saying Magic is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. The observation, is no matter who or what the front office does there will be backlash among the rabid fan base.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:

I’m not sure that I agree with being a championship contender but our FO was correct in pursuing a trade for AD. I would have been critical if they hadn’t. I just wish that they could learn to do things like that out of the spotlight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15
Jump to: