how does this team ever get back to win mode now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
MJST wrote:
drae wrote:
I wonder how Jerry West would have handled this trade season ...

by not saying a darn thing.

One of Magic's biggest problems is he loves to talk.

People used to complain that Mitch didn't talk enough, and when he did, he had very little to say

But now you see the opposite of that.

Magic talks up a storm and then when he does "GM things" that could be perceived as 'well thats messed up." it looks twice as bad because he spent all that time promoting the opposite to the media.

When you scream to the media how someone isn't a leader, and they become an all-star, the eyes look at you.

When you scream a guy is untouchable and put a 20 ppg expectation on them, when you are willing to drop them so quickly, the eyes look at you.

When you proclaim another kid as better than the last kid you had which is now an all-star and promote the kid as the one to destroy your Laker records, and you are willing to dump him at the flip of a coin, the eyes look at you.

And deservedly so. If Magic didn't want this much attention, he shouldn't have brought it on by constantly talking it.

Honestly, I miss Mitch's silence and dry non-answers. When deals like the Ariza and Gasol trades happened, you were blindsided by it because we rarely had front office leaks. The CP3 trade came out of nowhere too. Magic's front office loves the mic and broadcasting our intentions for the world to see.

I think Magic/Rob have a lot of enemies in other front offices right now. This is why I'm not a fan of trading for an all star. I just don't think teams will ever deal with us in good faith to reward Magic/Rob who are uber successful in their own right.

Seems there is some resentment with these two guys not having to grind it out from the bottom of the organization to the top and how they just sauntered in to the top posistions of the storied franchise.
poppajons
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

This will separate the mentally weak from the strong. Ideally, everyone who is still here will want to prove everyone wrong. There is rarely loyalty in the NBA. Harrison Barnes got traded mid-game. Demar Derozan got traded after being told to his face he was safe. Lamar and Pau nearly got traded after being key contributors to 2 rings...etc, etc.

They should move on and be professionals. They’re making millions to play a game they love. Can we quit babying everyone? I feel like we need to bust out the violin soon.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject:

poppajons wrote:
This will separate the mentally weak from the strong. Ideally, everyone who is still here will want to prove everyone wrong. There is rarely loyalty in the NBA. Harrison Barnes got traded mid-game. Demar Derozan got traded after being told to his face he was safe. Lamar and Pau nearly got traded after being key contributors to 2 rings...etc, etc.

They should move on and be professionals. They’re making millions to play a game they love. Can we quit babying everyone? I feel like we need to bust out the violin soon.

It sounds so inhumane but you're absolutely right.

BI showed some steel in the at Pacers game. Loved it. And I hope LBJ will let the guys know that he's put them through hell but he also NEEDS them to get to the playoffs.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

poppajons wrote:

That exactly what they are doing and what Lamar & Pau did. Don't care anymore: move on.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

If you put a gun to Magic and Walton's head and told them you'd pull the trigger if they don't start winning now (basically playoff-mode), the young guys minutes need to be scaled back and they need to be nurtured and taught properly.

Contrary to popular belief, the ONLY way to nurture talent is not just to give them heaps of minutes. Players in the NBA can be brought along slowly. I don't care about their egos either. If scaling back their minutes breaks theit spirits, good. They'd then be primed to be reconstructed -- this time properly.

This isn't all the young guys' faults. There's plenty of blame for everyone, but if you want to win immediately and you suspend the need to maintain arbitrary trade values of these kids for future trades, most of them should be benched and their minutes scaled back somewhat with the ultimate goal of teaching them to play the right way.

I mean, ultimately the Lakers may be "stuck" with these guys, might as well develop, teach, and nurture them properly.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

oh come on stop over dramatizing the trade rumors. Trade rumors are a fact of life so if thats a case ALL players mentioned from other teams would be impacted as well from the Celtcis to 76ers and Raptors. Do we see those players crashing and burning?
Reality is this team has been up and down all year and has been on a massive slide since Lebron's injury and well before the trade rumors started.
And even by some crazy chance a player or two checked out because of trade rumors then I wouldnt want such a weak minded player on this team either way.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

Easy Magic goes to the team youngsters and tells them that he respects appreciates what they do, but his job is to make the team better. And that in the business of basketball every GM will pretty much follow the same path. If they were in his shoes they would do the same when an opportunity presented itself. So don't take it personal it's part of the business of basketball, and you have to always give your maximum effort because it's about pride, and the fact that everyone's eyes are on you all the time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

Those Knicks/Cavs losses happened pre-AD talk. They may haunt us later on.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:

Probably about the same way he handled the Eddie Jones debacle. But I guess some of you didn’t live through that.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
drae wrote:

Probably about the same way he handled the Eddie Jones debacle. But I guess some of you didn’t live through that.
I remember those days...
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Hey they could have all been like Harrison Barnes who was traded while he was playing, talk about a shocking surprise.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

Oh no! Doomsday and Armageddon just had a baby and it … is … ugly!

You wanna go pee-pee in your big-boy slacks, keep it to yourself! It's 'make your mamas proud' time!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Put that coffee down! Coffee is for closers only.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Channel your inner BI and hit 2 freethrows while the crowd chants "Bron's gonna trade you".
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

Where's Byron when you need him?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

Honestly, they should pipe that "LeBron's gonna trade you" chant over the PA during Lakers practices.

They'll start shooting 90-95% from FTs real quick.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

In all honesty, I hope they can shrug this off. Tonight is huge in my eye. They don't need to win I guess? They really need to play well though.

I will not be surprised either way if it goes north or south.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

Zo's the only one I'm worried about. The rest will be out there playing through it tonight. Zo has a month to sit and stew about it.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

THE DRAMA IS OVER

LETS GO TO THE PLAYOFFS
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: how does this team ever get back to win mode now?

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
yah i know they're pro's and they're supposed to just play their best every night but all things considered it's probably gonna take alot more than just professional pride.

what else needs to happen?

Replace Luke Walton

Luke is the number one cause for lack of success. Not just wins, but development. There is no stable basketball system. Leads to bad decisions and turnovers. Too many mistakes by young players and veterans alike.

#2 is injuries.
#3 is roster construction. Not ideal but exacerbated by lack of development and injuries.

Get rid of Walton, get a competent (or even "good") coaching staff and in a year they'll be much further along than with Walton after three.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Those Knicks/Cavs losses happened pre-AD talk. They may haunt us later on.

I agreed.

Those losses are enough to fire him.

Cannot lose to the two worse teams in the East. (especially when the Knicks were trying to lose)

Poor coaching.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
MJST wrote:
drae wrote:

by not saying a darn thing.

One of Magic's biggest problems is he loves to talk.

People used to complain that Mitch didn't talk enough, and when he did, he had very little to say

But now you see the opposite of that.

Magic talks up a storm and then when he does "GM things" that could be perceived as 'well thats messed up." it looks twice as bad because he spent all that time promoting the opposite to the media.

When you scream to the media how someone isn't a leader, and they become an all-star, the eyes look at you.

When you scream a guy is untouchable and put a 20 ppg expectation on them, when you are willing to drop them so quickly, the eyes look at you.

When you proclaim another kid as better than the last kid you had which is now an all-star and promote the kid as the one to destroy your Laker records, and you are willing to dump him at the flip of a coin, the eyes look at you.

And deservedly so. If Magic didn't want this much attention, he shouldn't have brought it on by constantly talking it.

Honestly, I miss Mitch's silence and dry non-answers. When deals like the Ariza and Gasol trades happened, you were blindsided by it because we rarely had front office leaks. The CP3 trade came out of nowhere too. Magic's front office loves the mic and broadcasting our intentions for the world to see.

Yeah magic wants to make sure everyone knows he's willing to do whatever it takes to bring stars here. Mission accomplished, the young players on the team know it too.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

By coming out and beating Boston tonight.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

The season starts tonight.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
THE DRAMA IS OVER

LETS GO TO THE PLAYOFFS

The trade talk kicked the lavar ball hornet nest so the drama is here to stay.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: