Moral of the Story: Stop Trying to Trade for Stars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So going back to my original point, is it really worth it, knowing:

1. low regard for our Lakers young core from other teams;
2. clear resentment from other teams about the Lakers for whatever reason;

To go all in and hope a 3rd time's the charm?

I'm perfectly aware that there is a decent chance the AD trade happens, but it will be at a significant premium rate.

I think a lot of us are actually agreeing about how perilous it is to trade for a star given these factors.

Yep, agreed. Especially when it leaked to the public that AD wanted out and that we were in full pursuit, I'd have shut it down already.

To your (and many others) earlier point as well - I bet Magilinka has heard through back channels already that no one from the 2019 FA class is coming. This all reeks of desperation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Artesties
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

Quite the opposite... quit trying to home grow your talent. You’re not the Suns. You’re the Lakers. Buy your stars.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Moral of the story - stop trying to build teams with young talent then ruining all of that by bringing in a player with a win-now mentality. They will never mix.

See: Bron and LA, Kyrie and Boston, Butler and Minny.

Just doesn't work. Either go all in on the youth movement and bring in only vets who know they are role players, or trade all the youth movement for good pieces to go around the new stars.

Didn't we go all in on a youth movement for 4 years which yielded...not much.

The real problem IMO was not getting a 2nd star with LBJ via FA, and now they're trying to get one via trade (which recent history with PG/KL/AD has shown is going to be met with significant resistance).

Yes - if we had gotten PG as well, we definitely would be a in a better spot, but in that scenario, we would cease "building around" the youth - meaning we likely wouldn't be counting on the young guys as much, they'd likely either be role players whose development as "main pieces" would be stunted or trade bait for better veteran role players. BI wouldn't even have time to try and carry the scoring load if PG were here, he'd have been the first player shipped out.

Also - we did go all in on a youth movement for 4 years, then scrapped all of that when we traded away DLo for cap space (granted the MozDeng deals were probably the start of the death of the youth movement because jeebus wtf were they thinking). Remember, youth movement won't pay off until 4-6 years down the road because it takes that long for them to actually develop. As many have pointed out already, if we had kept DLo and Randle, we'd probably have a pretty exciting and competitive team right now.

They weren't "wrong" IMO to have a 2 max plan (which coincidentally was Mitch/Jim's plan). I think trading for a star is just so difficult b/c of the Lakers baggage with other teams.

I think missing 5 years of playoffs really irked the ownership. It is what it is, but under no circumstances could the team wait another 2-3 years for them to possibly make the playoffs (and then you have to re-sign them to deals too).

Because the ownership believed that good things would continue to happen for the Lakers such as these from the past.

1. Pick that became Magic

2. Pick that became Worthy

3. Signing a top player like Shaq

4. Sneak up on the league and draft another way undervalued prospect (Kobe)

Why the past is not a good predictor of the future:

1. Draft pick compensation such as what happened to get the pick for Magic is no longer part of the NBA system.

2. They didn't take advantage of the Nets when Billy King was loose & sloppy with draft picks.

3. Shaq was in his his mid 20's when he signed with the Lakers and LeBron is in his mid 30's.

4. The rules have changed so that going directly from high school to the NBA takes a very unique set of circumstances. Youtube and social media in general weren't around in the mid 90's, but times have changed and now it is easy to access videos and information about high school players. Sneaking up on the rest of the league like they did with getting Kobe is much much more difficult to do.

The playoffs haven't been happening for a while. Instead of accepting that some of the edges/advantages of the past are no longer available, they still think that good things will happen soon for the Lakers like they did in past decades.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

there are several morals.

1) Draft better. Yes, Kuzma and Hart have been great but we could have drafted Tatum instead of Lonzo. That was a mistake.

2) Try to be a little more discreet on your trade offers. Tobias traded at midnight without any fanfare is impressive. The lakers are looking like a joke.

3) Buy your stars. I agree but we need back up.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm perfectly aware that there is a decent chance the AD trade happens, but it will be at a significant premium rate.

I think a lot of us are actually agreeing about how perilous it is to trade for a star given these factors.

Yep, agreed. Especially when it leaked to the public that AD wanted out and that we were in full pursuit, I'd have shut it down already.

To your (and many others) earlier point as well - I bet Magilinka has heard through back channels already that no one from the 2019 FA class is coming. This all reeks of desperation.

Could have sworn I was constantly being told to stop being critical because the a big part of the hype around the James signing was his being a Pied Piper foundation drawing in the free agents. What happened?

Realization that James and his circus was only appealing when he was in his prime in the Eastern Conference with lots of help in place?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

1) Draft better. Yes, Kuzma and Hart have been great but we could have drafted Tatum instead of Lonzo. That was a mistake.

2) Try to be a little more discreet on your trade offers. Tobias traded at midnight without any fanfare is impressive. The lakers are looking like a joke.

What is funny is if Lonzo was in Boston and Tatum here, I have no doubts Lonzo would be hyped up like no one else as a trade asset while Tatum would be minimized.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Could have sworn I was constantly being told to stop being critical because the a big part of the hype around the James signing was his being a Pied Piper foundation drawing in the free agents. What happened?

Realization that James and his circus was only appealing when he was in his prime in the Eastern Conference with lots of help in place?

I think you were critical of his on court play, and prior to the groin injury, you were incorrect.

We still don't know what's happening, so why not reserve the criticism until the smoke settles?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:

That reminds me - why did our rebuild take so long? Because we couldn't really go all in on the youth movement until Kobe retired. We really did waste the first two years for DLo's and Randle's development because Kobe was still playing like the main guy.

And I'm not saying the 2 max plan is wrong either (and actually, my sense was getting rid of both Jim and Mitch was a mistake.... Magic and Mitch I think would have worked much better but oh well. It is what it is) - I'm just saying that if we did succeed in that 2 max plan, the likelihood at this point of the season would have been our front office trying to trade some of the young guys for veteran talent.

Your post made me think about the video of Kobe getting frustrated at the end of practice and wanting Mitch to get better talent than Lin and I believe Clarkson.

Lost on Kobe was that Lin wasn't brought in to help him, but to get a draft pick for the future which would probably be without Kobe.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think you were critical of his on court play, and prior to the groin injury, you were incorrect.

We still don't know what's happening, so why not reserve the criticism until the smoke settles?

I "know" I was critical of the potential signing from the beginning. Months before he actually signed.

- Timeline was wrong to build around a declining player with his career mpg
- James brings a toxic circus to town at every stop
- Has become selective on defensive effort in recent years
- Concerns of being distracted with business and headlines over winning
- Concerns of gutting team in a panic trade to "get him help" in a quick fix
- I questioned his ability to still be the lynch pin for free agents to flock to him
- knew the preached patience would quickly turn into desperation to make the next move

Those were my biggest concerns that got me chastised for not being optimistic or dismissed as a "Kobe Lover" as if that was a bad thing.

Was I wrong?

I admit seeing him play every game is impressive. Still a tremendous player, but not prime James either. Showing signs of decline at times. IMO only going to get worse over the next three years and needed to play max mins with a top heavy roster and no bench.

James has a short term window. Do you still see a Championship in the next 2-3 years? I never have. Who are they realistically adding for both starters and bench that will develop the team/systems chemistry needed to survive deep playoff runs and win a ring in that time frame?

At the moment my predictions seem to be more in line with reality then all the fantasy rosters and results that have been speculated the past year. Magic has work to do!

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I "know" I was critical of the potential signing from the beginning. Months before he actually signed.

- I questioned his ability to still be the lynch pin for free agents to flock to him
- knew the preached patience would quickly turn into desperation to make the next move

Those were my biggest concerns that got me chastised for not being optimistic or dismissed as a "Kobe Lover" as if that was a bad thing.

Was I wrong?

I admit seeing him play every game is impressive. Still a tremendous player. But showing signs of decline at times. IMO only going to get worse over the next three years and needed to play max mins with a top heavy roster and no bench.

James has a short term window. Do you still see a Championship in the next 2-3 years? I never have. Who are they realistically adding for both starters and bench that will develop the team/systems chemistry needed to survive deep playoff runs and win a ring in that time frame?

At the moment my predictions seem to be more in line with reality then all the fantasy rosters and results that have been speculated the past year. Magic has work to do!

Again, I don't judge cakes that are only half baked in the oven.

Are you in the practice of doing that?

I've said repeatedly that I will wait until this summer to see if the 2 max/trade AD plan was worth it. Anything else is screaming at a cake that is still being baked in the oven.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Was I wrong?

I admit seeing him play every game is impressive. Still a tremendous player. But showing signs of decline at times. IMO only going to get worse over the next three years and needed to play max mins with a top heavy roster and no bench.

Again, I don't judge cakes that are only half baked in the oven.

Are you in the practice of doing that?

I've said repeatedly that I will wait until this summer to see if the 2 max/trade AD plan was worth it. Anything else is screaming at a cake that is still being baked in the oven.

We have gone round and round on this issue. We simply disagree on expectations on past prime James and the desperation it generates.

I hope you are right. I hope that Magic can pull a viable solution out of his ying yang. I get no joy in seeing my team drop a game by 40 with such a selfish, passionless and pathetic performance from the Lakers.

Would you still have so much confidence in your cake if you started with that batter that has been sitting at the back of pantry for a couple years or slightly curdled milk? You hope that cake turns out perfect and wins the baking competition, but is it really going to?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Would you still have so much confidence in your cake if you started with that batter that has been sitting at the back of pantry for a couple years or slightly curdled milk? You hope that cake turns out perfect and wins the baking competition, but is it really going to?

Nah. My cake started with the only guy who has beat the unbeatable Warriors. If we had gotten a 2nd max FA this summer as planned we wouldn't even be debating this. Frankly, I do think our young core is not as amazing as some say it is, and that is also a major factor in why everyone is up at arms.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Well, AD may be the 3rd recent example.

We will probably revisit this summer so maybe the 4th time's the charm!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

We don’t know what was offered to Indy, Ramona said it was nowhere close to what was reported. I don’t know that we made an offer for Leonard, chances are we tried low balling them too. Tough to trade for stars when you offer pennies on the dollar.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

the lakers have actually drafted pretty damn well recently.

Russell is an all-star. Randle is putting up 20/9.

Jury is still out on BI and Ball, but things are looking up.

It's not the Lakers drafting that's the problem. It's playing for a front office that puts a target on your back the moment you don't perform.

Boom.

For all the "Don't home grow talent for POTENTIAL" folks, the two guys they got rid of that were home grown

1 became an all-star
the other is putting up 20/9/3

In the exact year that LeBron would have come here.

That's what you'd have called perfect timing in their development + LeBron's arrival.

It was the FO that got rid of them right before that happened despite the signs. That's on the FO not the draft.

How about "stop putting a target on your drafts backs while they develop, and don't boldface lie to them blowing smoke up their rears about how much you value them and how great they are, when in reality you'll sell them up the river at the first sign."
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We don’t know what was offered to Indy, Ramona said it was nowhere close to what was reported. I don’t know that we made an offer for Leonard, chances are we tried low balling them too. Tough to trade for stars when you offer pennies on the dollar.

We don’t know what the lakers offered we do know what the spurs asked for

However, according to Larry Coon (The CBA FAQ Godfather and about as plugged-in of an individual as there is around the NBA) during an appearance on Spectrum Sportsnet, the Spurs are asking for a lot more than just Kuzma or Ingram:

“From what I hear they’re asking a lot. My sources are saying Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Kyle Kuzma, two firsts and two pick swaps... They’re just saying give us everything.”
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

A moral to a story that you don't know the ending of?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
A moral to a story that you don't know the ending of?

That is true. The trilogy isn’t finished yet!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

What is funny is if Lonzo was in Boston and Tatum here, I have no doubts Lonzo would be hyped up like no one else as a trade asset while Tatum would be minimized.

I disagree with that. Tatum had a great rookie season. In the playoffs, after Irving got injured, he was their leading scorer and took them to within a game of the finals. He's had something of a down year so far in his second season. But he's already shown he can play big in big moments (24 points in game 7 of the eastern finals) while Ball has had trouble even staying on the court.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

The morale is you don’t force yourself to be someone you are not.

The roster was not built to have two max slots in 2018 and 2019. If the price to pay for this target is small, then there’s no harm to try. For example although I liked Nance, I think the trade we made with Cleveland is acceptable. However, if the price is a lottery drafted player then it shouldn’t be sacrificed. Just compare what other teams have done to create cap space. Also, this 2 max plan doesn’t sound like a sure thing anymore.

After we set our path for 2 max slots by letting go our young talent, suddenly we want to change the plan again and want to be a player in trade market. Boston has been collected asset to make a noice in the trade market for years while we were dumping young talent. Would we be in a better position to trade for AD if we have kept DLO, Randle and Clarkson who are all average more than 15 ppg?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

The roster was not built to have two max slots in 2018 and 2019. If the price to pay for this target is small, then there’s no harm to try. For example although I liked Nance, I think the trade we made with Cleveland is acceptable. However, if the price is a lottery drafted player then it shouldn’t be sacrificed. Just compare what other teams have done to create cap space. Also, this 2 max plan doesn’t sound like a sure thing anymore.

After we set our path for 2 max slots by letting go our young talent, suddenly we want to change the plan again and want to be a player in trade market. Boston has been collected asset to make a noice in the trade market for years while we were dumping young talent. Would we be in a better position to trade for AD if we have kept DLO, Randle and Clarkson who are all average more than 15 ppg?

It's good to have a strategy, but you don't want to be so locked into it that you pass by opportunities.

It's all well and good to praise Boston, but they haven't made the finals since they've gone on this crusade to collect assets and they may not.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

It's good to have a strategy, but you don't want to be so locked into it that you pass by opportunities.

It's all well and good to praise Boston, but they haven't made the finals since they've gone on this crusade to collect assets and they may not.

Sure, but is this really a good opportunity? Celtics but low on Irving. Rockets buy low on Harden. That’s a no brainer opportunity. If we trade our players for another star we are only doing a favour for Boston because no team can compete with them.

They might not made the final but they are trending up while we are going into the opposite direction. The sad thing is we are trending down not because our players suck, it is because our front office has demoralised this team.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject:

I think the moral is do things fast and quiet like we did with Gasol in 2008.
I’d argue prime Gasol (led his team to playoffs many times) was nearly as valuable as AD.

So we should look to trade for stars

But IMo we went for the wrong one

Porzingis was the right star to go for

I think Ingram two picks and taking on the Hardaway JR contact would get the deal done

Lakers - KP, LBJ, Kuz, Hardaway Jr, Ball + Zubac + Hart - that’s an amazing 7 man core and we have some money in the summer to add more talent to that group.

We should be looking at bringing in an all star caliber player using one of Ingram/Ball and future picks. It can be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

I disagree with that. Tatum had a great rookie season. In the playoffs, after Irving got injured, he was their leading scorer and took them to within a game of the finals. He's had something of a down year so far in his second season. But he's already shown he can play big in big moments (24 points in game 7 of the eastern finals) while Ball has had trouble even staying on the court.

Replace Tatum with BI.

Maybe he gets to play with a better coach/system too.

There is a talent disparity, though not as vast as the pundits make it out to be. But there is also an unquestionable Lakers tax in any trade for an all star, especially one that is demanding a trade to the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Boston signed 2 max level players in Hayward/Horford. They traded for a max in Kyrie.

They were gifted 4 lottery picks by the Nets.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: