Moral of the Story: Stop Trying to Trade for Stars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

the lakers have actually drafted pretty damn well recently.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
The age of technology has actually hurt the Lakers. So easy to leak, spin and have the entire NBA hearing in, persuade, influence, collude, giving their unsolicited opinions, etc. Now the Davids of the league are afraid to deal with Goliath, unless they get consensus approval. It's like buying product nowadays, most of us can't make a purchase unless Amazon reviews says it's good. LOL!

Or it may simply make Lakers fans feel better to believe that teams won't trade with us on principle rather than think they would trade with us but aren't impressed with the players we have to offer.

Why are these other teams even picking up the phone and taking offers if they don't like any of the players on this team? Why engage?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
The age of technology has actually hurt the Lakers. So easy to leak, spin and have the entire NBA hearing in, persuade, influence, collude, giving their unsolicited opinions, etc. Now the Davids of the league are afraid to deal with Goliath, unless they get consensus approval. It's like buying product nowadays, most of us can't make a purchase unless Amazon reviews says it's good. LOL!

Or it may simply make Lakers fans feel better to believe that teams won't trade with us on principle rather than think they would trade with us but aren't impressed with the players we have to offer.

Why are these other teams even picking up the phone and taking offers if they don't like any of the players on this team? Why engage?

That's like asking, if teams have already decided not to trade with us on principle, why would they ever pick up the phone to listen?

If I were a GM, I'd listen to any offer, even from a team that had players I didn't want. The offers give me information that might be useful. (I'd wonder if I could involve other teams that might want the players I don't). Also, it's to my advantage to create the impression that I can am getting tons of offers, which puts pressure on other teams to up their offer.

That said, who knows what's going on. We don't know which of the rumored trades are correct. And the Pelicans are probably confident that they can still go back and grab any offer at the deadline, so it doesn't hurt them to keep saying no in hopes the offers get better.
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Moral of the Story: Get rid of the young guys
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

Russell is an all-star. Randle is putting up 20/9.

Jury is still out on BI and Ball, but things are looking up.

It's not the Lakers drafting that's the problem. It's playing for a front office that puts a target on your back the moment you don't perform.
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

Russell is an all-star. Randle is putting up 20/9.

Jury is still out on BI and Ball, but things are looking up.

It's not the Lakers drafting that's the problem. It's playing for a front office that puts a target on your back the moment you don't perform.

I agree. They will all do better without a target on their back. Thus they should all be traded. They will all do better on another team.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

The moral of the story isn't at all what the OP contended.

Instead, it's "remember, not every trade possibility should be nor can be completed, so keep trying different things, and hang on tight."

I think it was nuts to risk gutting the roster (offering Kuzma, Ball, Ingram and two first round picks) for AD. Let's remember, AD isn't Shaq, Kareem or Wilt. He's powered his club to negligible successes, maybe producing the club impact level of Pau Gasol at Memphis. Don't overpay. You don't have to make this move.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Yin, we are down by 39 to the Dipo-less Pacers as I speak. My attitude will change later, but as of right now we should trade the whole team and coaching staff.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
The moral of the story isn't at all what the OP contended.

Instead, it's "remember, not every trade possibility should be nor can be completed, so keep trying different things, and hang on tight."

I think it was nuts to risk gutting the roster (offering Kuzma, Ball, Ingram and two first round picks) for AD. Let's remember, AD isn't Shaq, Kareem or Wilt. He's powered his club to negligible successes, maybe producing the club impact level of Pau Gasol at Memphis. Don't overpay. You don't have to make this move.

We have a plan 1A.

It’s going down this warpath with weak trade assets despite teams not trading us a star. Should have stayed the course if it looked like Pels weren’t going to even trade until the Celts made an offer.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Moral of this story: (bleep) this team since 2012
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Disagree.

Trading for a star is still a valid way of getting into championship contention. RE: Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Name the last Lakers championship that didn't have a traded star on it?

But if that doesn't work out, you really do need to develop your draft picks. But the Lakers have sh*t coaching, no cognizant offensive systems, no shooting coaches, no improvement on fundamentals, and a total random playing time/rotations.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Disagree.

Trading for a star is still a valid way of getting into championship contention. RE: Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Name the last Lakers championship that didn't have a traded star on it?

But if that doesn't work out, you really do need to develop your draft picks. But the Lakers have sh*t coaching, no cognizant offensive systems, no shooting coaches, no improvement on fundamentals, and a total random playing time/rotations.

Ok. So no go with PG/KL/likely AD. But we got LBJ via FA.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Moral of the story. Don’t give the keys to the franchise to a guy that thought Brandon Knight was the next Jason Kidd and a former agent who obviously has burned bridges throughout the league 🤷🏼‍♂️
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I miss last years team so much.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Moral of the story:

Fire Luke

Fire Magic/Pelinka

Remove Lebron/Klutch influence

Have Jeanie sell the team
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what the atmosphere of this forum would be if we have kept the young core and see DLO being selected in the all star game and Randle turns into a solid player.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Moral of the story:

Fire Luke

Fire Magic/Pelinka

Sell the team to the Clippers
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Moral of the Story: Trade the young core
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Moral of the story:

Fire Luke

Fire Magic/Pelinka

Sell the team to the Clippers

With Jerry West at the Helm?

You bet
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

We've drafted just fine. It was the new FO that got rid of who we drafted right before they were about to have breakout seasons, or after their breakout seasons. First guy they got rid of is now an all-star. They drafted just fine.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

The real lesson is to be very careful to leak any information. If you start seeing leaks come out from their side, then you must be dubious about their intentions
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
The real lesson is to be very careful to leak any information. If you start seeing leaks come out from their side, then you must be dubious about their intentions

Rich Paul who is supposedly in a tacit alliance with Magic, Pelinka and LeBron appears to be he first leaker rather than somebody from the New Orleans side.

Either things didn't go as they had planned or Rich Paul went rogue and made a decision to start things earlier than planned.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
Moral of the story. Don’t give the keys to the franchise to a guy that thought Brandon Knight was the next Jason Kidd and a former agent who obviously has burned bridges throughout the league 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jimmer Fredette is the real deal
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Moral of the Story: Stop Trying to Trade for Stars

yinoma2001 wrote:
It just won't happen with the Lakers.

First it was PG. I have no doubt the Pacers had no intention of trading him to the Lakers of all teams.

Then KL. Popovich. Need I say more?

Then this debacle with the Pels.

The Lakers are right in one respect, to use free agency to aquire stars. Despite missing 5 straight playoffs, we have teams still bitter about the Pau trade, and I'm sure they're still upset at how Magic and Worthy joined the Lakers too.

We seem to walk into this trap with the other cackling with laughter. As RG73 pointed out, very few will be upset to see a star traded to the Knicks or even Boston, but the Lakers? Nah, regulators, mount up.

I just don't think teams will deal in good faith with the Lakers in a trade for an all star.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong and AD gets traded here.

The Lakers got really good deals

* On the picks that became Magic and Worthy

* On the trade Of Vlade for Kobe (or draft rights to Kobe for the nitpickers)

* On the trade for Pau

Maybe some of the problem is the that the organization and fanbase think that the good deals are supposed to continue happening forever.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Yin, we are down by 39 to the Dipo-less Pacers as I speak. My attitude will change later, but as of right now we should trade the whole team and coaching staff.

If you want to go by just that game Lebron looked AWFUL.. Horrible decisions on defense and offense, taking bad shots and looking about as disinterested as i've ever seen him (i will admit i started fast forwarding towards the end of the second but i highly doubt it got any better).. Don't get me wrong I think Lebron will be just fine obviously but for the leader of the team to play like that it is hard to throw much blame on the rest of the team for that specific game....

I still firmly believe ingram and ball will be elite within the next couple years but the entire energy of this team is just completely destroyed lately and once again the leader in lebron when asked how his teammates are handling it simply just basically says he has no idea since he has not talked to them about it and never had to deal with it but it's probably pretty tough

i agree about the staff 100% but it's not like there are any upgrades out there right now.. it'll just be a ton of more drama for a lateral move at best.

i believe trades will and always should be pondered by the lakers though but not destroying an entire rebuild in one big swoop for a single player. i see people trying to say its like kobe and shaq but in reality its not even kobe and gasol (not to mention the solid core they still had around those two which we would have nothing remotely close).. lebron is not kobe good anymore at either of those stages due mostly to his current age imo and its anybody's guess if he starts falling apart soon or it could be a couple more years.. then davis who is nowhere close to shaq's level, still a great player but also always getting little injuries nearly every single week it seems. i dont see how you can move the entire core plus some to count on two guys that could be dominant but also could be out at any point especially considering they will have to both play 40+ over the next 2-3 seasons at least to have any real chance of doing anything in the playoffs.

sure, the lakers always made those trades but they never depleted an entire roster for one guy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: