Moral of the Story: Stop Trying to Trade for Stars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

Yup. Or develop better.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

Yup. Or develop better.

I think it's development. DLO is an all star in the East. Jules showing signs of 20/10 game. When they leave they are suddenly great prospects (and for DLO get better development).
DillonSD
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Up until Chris Paul, it has always been this way for the Lakers.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak, to his credit, rarely made negotiations so public the way Rich Paul, Magic and Pelinka have. No one saw the Gasol trade coming. And that was crucial. What do you think would've happened if our trade package for Gasol was negotiated publicly? Might not have happened.

Paul publicly announcing Davis' desires, followed by leak after leak, have derailed this more than anything, to the Lakers and his client's detriment Feel Paul's been exposed as amateurish. Never let them see you coming.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Pacers were down to trade PG here for BI and our #2 pick. Magic wouldnt budge on including Ingram in the deal because he thought PG was 100% signing with us. That was a big mistake looking back on it.

Quote:
Although George's feelings could change, especially if he is traded to a team he likes, the Lakers aren't willing to part with too much to trade for him. Second-year forward Brandon Ingram, a favorite of the Lakers' coaching staff, has caught Indiana's eye, but is off limits. Without the help of a third team, the Lakers weren't willing to part with the No. 2 overall pick before the draft — the pick they used to take former UCLA star Lonzo Ball.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-free-agency-20170629-story.html

Spurs and NOP were definitely stringing us along though.

But is that reasonable? BI AND #2 pick for a free agent to be?

Yes, because he was only 26 entering his prime & told us he was going to re-sign here. BI was coming off one of the WOAT rookie seasons. PG is a top 3 MVP candidate right now playing w/ Westbrook. I could only imagine how potent we would be with Bron & PG teamed up.

But to give up both is what I'm asking. BI, sure, but it's not crazy to think that PG who was flashing his LA legs would sign.

I mean Dipo/Sabonis were widely seen as salary dumps.

Yes, I would have given up #2 draft pick and BI for PG. It was a fair trade. Magic played his hand too hard and lost. He thought PG was in the bag in free agency so he didn't include both. PG is better than Zo and BI combined
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

botox wrote:
Mitch Kupchak, to his credit, rarely made negotiations so public the way Rich Paul, Magic and Pelinka have. No one saw the Gasol trade coming. And that was crucial. What do you think would've happened if our trade package for Gasol was negotiated publicly? Might not have happened.

Paul publicly announcing Davis' desires, followed by leak after leak, have derailed this more than anything, to the Lakers and his client's detriment Feel Paul's been exposed as amateurish. Never let them see you coming.

Social media wasn't a big thing back then.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Pacers were down to trade PG here for BI and our #2 pick. Magic wouldnt budge on including Ingram in the deal because he thought PG was 100% signing with us. That was a big mistake looking back on it.

Quote:
Although George's feelings could change, especially if he is traded to a team he likes, the Lakers aren't willing to part with too much to trade for him. Second-year forward Brandon Ingram, a favorite of the Lakers' coaching staff, has caught Indiana's eye, but is off limits. Without the help of a third team, the Lakers weren't willing to part with the No. 2 overall pick before the draft — the pick they used to take former UCLA star Lonzo Ball.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-free-agency-20170629-story.html

Yes, because he was only 26 entering his prime & told us he was going to re-sign here. BI was coming off one of the WOAT rookie seasons. PG is a top 3 MVP candidate right now playing w/ Westbrook. I could only imagine how potent we would be with Bron & PG teamed up.

But to give up both is what I'm asking. BI, sure, but it's not crazy to think that PG who was flashing his LA legs would sign.

Yes, I would give up a draft pick and BI for PG. It was a fair trade. Magic played his hand too hard and lost. He thought PG was in the bag in free agency so he didn't include both. PG is better than Zo and BI combined

I was fine with one but not both. That isn't a fair price historically speaking.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
sogood. wrote:
Real moral of the story:

Draft better.

Yup. Or develop better.

I think it's development. DLO is an all star in the East. Jules showing signs of 20/10 game. When they leave they are suddenly great prospects (and for DLO get better development).

Young players that need developing usually start to shine in year four. These players are being developed. Fans are too impatient to see it through.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

It's funny because people blamed it on Mitch and Jim that they couldn't land stars, when it isn't that at all. They didn't go all in for Melo. Melo stay for.the money and look at him now. LMA wanted to go back home, which he stated. When they did go all in, it was for Nash, and we seen the mistake in that, which is what they learned from and they were building within the draft. D Russ, BI, Randle, Zubac... They even came across a jewel in JC, where he flourished, but the main players were the 3 of D Russ, BI, and Randle. I'm pretty sure they were gonna get Zo to because they were filling up positions they needed. There was once upon a Time they thought that JC/Russ would be that really good backcourt tandem, but that it was really Zo and Russ.

Once magic got here, he killed that when he gave away D Russ. Smh I mean at least we got moz contract off the books, but people are to fixated on contracts because y'all just wanted stars. Trade everybody, because y'all just care about names. Laker are too spoiled, desperate, and impatient. Didn't understand what Jim and Mitch were trying to do, when it was apparent. We haven't downward seasons like that boohoohoo. If we really wanna pin point the downward spiral, it was the Nash deal, not the moz and Deng deals. That's when they understood the importance of draft picks and building within the draft.

Once magic got rid of D Russ, the plan was ruined because we drafted kuz. He had a break out season. We happened to sign Lebron, so we felt there was no use for Randle, and we didn't re-sign him and now we are going in another direction. Win now, forget the future, when before we were building for the future.

I'm glad we pulled out.... Like a one night stand with a chick you had no feelings for. Staying in, might not be the right decision, no matter how good it feels in the moment.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Quote:

Yes, I would give up a draft pick and BI for PG. It was a fair trade. Magic played his hand too hard and lost. He thought PG was in the bag in free agency so he didn't include both. PG is better than Zo and BI combined

I was fine with one but not both. That isn't a fair price historically speaking.

It actually is. Look at the Kevin Love trade. BI's rookie season was comparable to Anthony Bennett's rookie year. Wiggins was the #1 pick that year, we had the #2 pick. Also, PG>Love
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It actually is. Look at the Kevin Love trade. BI's rookie season was comparable to Anthony Bennett's rookie year. Wiggins was the #1 pick that year, we had the #2 pick. Also, PG>Love

I think by the time Bennett was included, he wasn't considered a top pick and widely panned as a bust. BI had strong value as the Kings wanted him for Boogie.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
It's funny because people blamed it on Mitch and Jim that they couldn't land stars, when it isn't that at all. They didn't go all in for PG. They didn't go all in for Melo. When they did go all in, it was for Nash, and we seen the mistake in that, which is what they learned from and they were building within the draft. D Russ, BI, Randle, Zubac... They even came across a jewel in JC, where he flourished, but the main players were the 3 of D Russ, BI, and Randle. I'm pretty sure they were gonna get Zo to because they were filling up positions they needed. There was once upon a Time they thought that JC/Russ would be that really good backcourt tandem, but that it was really Zo and Russ.

Once magic got here, he killed that when he gave away D Russ. Smh I mean at least we got moz contract off the books, but people are to fixated on contracts because y'all just wanted stars. Trade everybody, because y'all just care about names. Laker are too spoiled, desperate, and impatient. Didn't understand what Jim and Mitch were trying to do, when it was apparent. We haven't downward seasons like that boohoohoo. If we really wanna pin point the downward spiral, it was the Nash deal, not the moz and Deng deals. That's when they understood the importance of draft picks and building within the draft.

Once magic got rid of D Russ, the plan was ruined because we drafted kuz. He had a break out season. We happened to sign Lebron, so we felt there was no use for Randle, and we didn't re-sign him and now we are going in another direction. Win now, forget the future, when before we were building for the future.

I'm glad we pulled out.... Like a one night stand with a chick you had no feelings for. Staying in, might not be the right decision, no matter how good it feels in the moment.

No matter how much you want to sugar coat it, Moz/Deng is a fireable offense.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
botox wrote:

Social media wasn't a big thing back then.

Not as big, no. But this could've been kept under wraps better. Paul didn't have to announce to the world AD's intentions.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I think by the time Bennett was included, he wasn't considered a top pick and widely panned as a bust. BI had strong value as the Kings wanted him for Boogie.

Eh, it was close. They both had atrocious rookie seasons. Wiggins was the freaking HIGHLY touted #1 pick that was way more hyped than Zo. They would have been very similar trades value wise.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
It's funny because people blamed it on Mitch and Jim that they couldn't land stars, when it isn't that at all. They didn't go all in for PG. They didn't go all in for Melo. When they did go all in, it was for Nash, and we seen the mistake in that, which is what they learned from and they were building within the draft. D Russ, BI, Randle, Zubac... They even came across a jewel in JC, where he flourished, but the main players were the 3 of D Russ, BI, and Randle. I'm pretty sure they were gonna get Zo to because they were filling up positions they needed. There was once upon a Time they thought that JC/Russ would be that really good backcourt tandem, but that it was really Zo and Russ.

No matter how much you want to sugar coat it, Moz/Deng is a fireable offense.

No it isn't, Kobe got the same deal from Jeanie. Unless you wanna be a hypocrite in your stance; and let's not sugar it and use the excuse of what he did for this franchise. That moz and Deng deal didn't cripple the franchise, at all; like y'all tried to make it out to be. Y'all just wanted names.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Eh, it was close. They both had atrocious rookie seasons. Wiggins was the freaking HIGHLY touted #1 pick that was way more hyped than Zo. They would have been very similar trades value wise.

Right but I'm talking about BI + 2nd pick. In no way is Bennett valued (and Boogie set a value for BI) comparably with BI at the time.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Lesson #1: If you engage in tampering -- whether technically illegal or just deep into the gray area -- you are not going to make friends with other teams. As I said about a week ago, it is one thing to unsettle a player through tampering. It is another thing to persuade his team to trade him to you right after you screwed them.

Lesson #2: If we want to trade for a superstar, we must either (1) have a great relationship with the other front office, as Mitch and Dr. Buss did with Memphis, or (2) have an actual star quality player in our package going back, even if he is a lesser star. If any of our kids had emerged to the extent of Russell with the Nets (an all-star, albeit marginal), this would have been a different negotiation.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Moral of the Story: Stop Trying to Trade for Stars

yinoma2001 wrote:
It just won't happen with the Lakers.

First it was PG. I have no doubt the Pacers had no intention of trading him to the Lakers of all teams.

Then KL. Popovich. Need I say more?

Then this debacle with the Pels.

The Lakers are right in one respect, to use free agency to aquire stars. Despite missing 5 straight playoffs, we have teams still bitter about the Pau trade, and I'm sure they're still upset at how Magic and Worthy joined the Lakers too.

We seem to walk into this trap with the other cackling with laughter. As RG73 pointed out, very few will be upset to see a star traded to the Knicks or even Boston, but the Lakers? Nah, regulators, mount up.

I just don't think teams will deal in good faith with the Lakers in a trade for an all star.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong and AD gets traded here.

The Pau trade is kind of recent. Jerry West was with Memphis at the time and the owner thought he was going to the Bulls. They had a young core of Ben Gordon, Kirk Heinrich and Deng who they didn’t want to trade(sounds familiar lakersground).

The magic and worthy deals are like almost 40 years ago and they didn’t trade for the players they acquired picks used to draft them.

How did the Lakers get Magic Johnson? Ever ask yourself that? They had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the best player in the league. He had won 5 MVP's by that point in his career and played 9 more seasons with Magic. Well, they got it through a lopsided trade! This trade was:

August 5, 1976: Traded by the New Orleans Jazz (as a 1979 1st round draft pick) with a 1977 1st round draft pick (Kenny Carr), a 1978 1st round draft pick (Freeman Williams) and a 1980 2nd round draft pick (Sam Worthen) to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 1977 2nd round draft pick (Essie Hollis) and a 1978 1st round draft pick (Jack Givens). This exchange was arranged as compensation for Utah signing veteran free agent Gail Goodrich on 1976-07-19.

See the 1979 first round pick? That was the first in the draft. They chose Magic Johnson. Gail Goodrich, you ask? Well, Gail played 3 pretty forgettable years for the Jazz, the last of course being on a team that finished with a poor enough record to give up the first pick. He retired before Magic even entered the league.

But, wait, there's more! James Worthy was the first pick in the draft, right? Well, how did a Laker team that was winning and competing for championships get another #1 pick in the draft? Well, hold onto your hats Cleveland:

February 15, 1980: Traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers (as a 1982 1st round draft pick) with Butch Lee to the Los Angeles Lakers for Don Ford and a 1980 1st round draft pick (Chad Kinch).
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Right but I'm talking about BI + 2nd pick. In no way is Bennett valued (and Boogie set a value for BI) comparably with BI at the time.

No, you're wrong about the value. Please show me the Kings would do BI for Boogie.

Bennett was a former #1 pick coming off a terrible rookie season. Wiggins was the clear cut current #1 pick who was valued around the league way above Zo and BI were coming out

Ingram was the #2 pick coming off a bad rookie year. Zo was floating around top 4 in the mock drafts. Not nearly at Wiggins level coming out.

Both trades were evenly matched for what they would net: Prime All NBA talent.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lesson #1: If you engage in tampering -- whether technically illegal or just deep into the gray area -- you are not going to make friends with other teams. As I said about a week ago, it is one thing to unsettle a player through tampering. It is another thing to persuade his team to trade him to you right after you screwed them.

Lesson #2: If we want to trade for a superstar, we must either (1) have a great relationship with the other front office, as Mitch and Dr. Buss did with Memphis, or (2) have an actual star quality player in our package going back, even if he is a lesser star. If any of our kids had emerged to the extent of Russell with the Nets (an all-star, albeit marginal), this would have been a different negotiation.

Good and fair points. But I also do think there is resentment against the team that clouds good faith deals.

I'm sure teams that have competed in small markets and methodically built up their teams are not eager to deal with Magic/Rob who are basically NBA front office carpetbaggers who nabbed LBJ.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Moral of the Story: Stop Trying to Trade for Stars

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It just won't happen with the Lakers.

First it was PG. I have no doubt the Pacers had no intention of trading him to the Lakers of all teams.

Then KL. Popovich. Need I say more?

Then this debacle with the Pels.

The Lakers are right in one respect, to use free agency to aquire stars. Despite missing 5 straight playoffs, we have teams still bitter about the Pau trade, and I'm sure they're still upset at how Magic and Worthy joined the Lakers too.

We seem to walk into this trap with the other cackling with laughter. As RG73 pointed out, very few will be upset to see a star traded to the Knicks or even Boston, but the Lakers? Nah, regulators, mount up.

I just don't think teams will deal in good faith with the Lakers in a trade for an all star.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong and AD gets traded here.

The Pau trade is kind of recent. Jerry West was with Memphis at the time and the owner thought he was going to the Bulls. They had a young core of Ben Gordon, Kirk Heinrich and Deng who they didn’t want to trade(sounds familiar lakersground).

The magic and worthy deals are like almost 40 years ago and they didn’t trade for the players they acquired picks used to draft them.

How did the Lakers get Magic Johnson? Ever ask yourself that? They had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the best player in the league. He had won 5 MVP's by that point in his career and played 9 more seasons with Magic. Well, they got it through a lopsided trade! This trade was:

August 5, 1976: Traded by the New Orleans Jazz (as a 1979 1st round draft pick) with a 1977 1st round draft pick (Kenny Carr), a 1978 1st round draft pick (Freeman Williams) and a 1980 2nd round draft pick (Sam Worthen) to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 1977 2nd round draft pick (Essie Hollis) and a 1978 1st round draft pick (Jack Givens). This exchange was arranged as compensation for Utah signing veteran free agent Gail Goodrich on 1976-07-19.

See the 1979 first round pick? That was the first in the draft. They chose Magic Johnson. Gail Goodrich, you ask? Well, Gail played 3 pretty forgettable years for the Jazz, the last of course being on a team that finished with a poor enough record to give up the first pick. He retired before Magic even entered the league.

But, wait, there's more! James Worthy was the first pick in the draft, right? Well, how did a Laker team that was winning and competing for championships get another #1 pick in the draft? Well, hold onto your hats Cleveland:

February 15, 1980: Traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers (as a 1982 1st round draft pick) with Butch Lee to the Los Angeles Lakers for Don Ford and a 1980 1st round draft pick (Chad Kinch).

Building through the draft. What a concept.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
It's funny because people blamed it on Mitch and Jim that they couldn't land stars, when it isn't that at all. They didn't go all in for Melo. Melo stay for.the money and look at him now. LMA wanted to go back home, which he stated. When they did go all in, it was for Nash, and we seen the mistake in that, which is what they learned from and they were building within the draft. D Russ, BI, Randle, Zubac... They even came across a jewel in JC, where he flourished, but the main players were the 3 of D Russ, BI, and Randle. I'm pretty sure they were gonna get Zo to because they were filling up positions they needed. There was once upon a Time they thought that JC/Russ would be that really good backcourt tandem, but that it was really Zo and Russ.

How was the plan ruined when we drafted Kuz and he had a breakout season? I don't think building through the draft by getting Kuz and getting rid of Randle means we threw out the plan of building through the draft?
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

No, you're wrong about the value. Please show me the Kings would do BI for Boogie.

Bennett was a former #1 pick coming off a terrible rookie season. Wiggins was the clear cut current #1 pick who was valued around the league way above Zo and BI were coming out

Ingram was the #2 pick coming off a bad rookie year. Zo was floating around top 4 in the mock drafts. Not nearly at Wiggins level coming out.

Both trades were evenly matched for what they would net: Prime All NBA talent.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-lakers-had-shot-at-demarcus-cousins-but-wouldnt-part-with-brandon-ingram/

Before the mammoth trade that paired Cousins with New Orleans Pelicans All-Star Anthony Davis, Sacramento Kings GM Vlade Divac reached out to Johnson to gauge the team’s interest in acquiring its three-time All-Star.

Johnson, who was only a team consultant at the time, referred Divac to Kupchak, according to Shelburne, since he did not have the authority to discuss trades with opposing executives.

Divac had ownership approval to trade Cousins in a deal that landed Lakers’ rookie Brandon Ingram or New Orleans Pelicans rookie Buddy Hield, per Shelburne. Johnson never heard back from Lakers management regarding a Cousins trade.

Writes Shelburne:

But by the time the Lakers got involved, Divac and Pelicans general manager Dell Demps, both in New Orleans for the All-Star Game, had met four or five times in person to discuss a deal, sources told ESPN's Marc Stein. He was negotiating over the phone with Buss and Kupchak — despite the fact that Magic was in New Orleans that weekend for ESPN.
Los Angeles did, in fact, discuss a trade for Cousins, but would not include the rookie Ingram in their offer, according to The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski. Sacramento then shifted its focus to getting a deal done with New Orleans — they received Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, and a 2017 first- and second-round pick.

Last edited by WindyCityLakerFan on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Why would you deal Ingram for a Cousins who possible would never have returned the same? It's stupid. GSW could afford to take the risk because they have a stable of all stars
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

this isn't NFL and MLB, where any team can make a run when unexpected players emerge as stars from nowhere. NBA is a proven stars' league. unfortunately that's the reality. last title team won without any star was the Piston team of 2004.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: