Around the country opinions of "Our Young Core"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Around the country opinions of "Our Young Core"

Dr. Laker wrote:

Small sample size, but it probably reflects a larger trend: people think our "young core" just ain't that special.

Unfortunately, I would agree. They are OK, but there are better young cores in the league for sure.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the Celtic young ones aren't considerably better.

Brown is having a down year across the board, his PER is a whooping 13.0. Tatum is playing better, but shooting considerably worse than last season. Rozier has also regressed from last year (his per is at 13.3). Conversely, Lonzo is at 12.0, BI at 12.7 and Kuz at 14.8.
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Yep, they are nothing special. Ingram and Ball are basically the minimum you would expect in a 2nd round pick, that’s good compared to a disappointment like Fultz, but they haven’t broken out like other players in their draft classes have. Kuzma is a surprise but basically raised his value to Ingram/Ball.

None of the young guys are Donovan Mitchell’s or Doncic’s. Ingram’s value is deteriorating also, his value was always based on his “potential”, and that potential is not necessarily becoming a reality. Not a knock on Ingram, I think he can still be a great player, but if his “potential” is what it was his first year than Davis would be a Laker right now easily. Teams are looking at that “potential” as fools gold...
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

The core is OK but far from special.

I came into the season expecting to see a leap from BI in which he would be in consideration for Most Improved Player. That hasn't come close to happening.

I expected a more offensive competent Zo. And he still can't hit a FT or finish around the rim consistently and his 3-ball remains an adventure.

Kuzma's 3-ball has gone into the tank and Josh Hart has seemed to regress on every level.

With that said, there's something about all of them I do like a lot.

But I do understand how someone from another fan base can look and say these guys aren't that good.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

They are good. I don't think any of them will be elite though.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

Do you think Jaylen Brown will be? The point isn't that they'll never become elite, because I think most Laker fans would tend to agree with that. They're good like you said, but most non-Lakers fans and media love to devalue our players to the point where the consensus opinion now is that they're all busts and barely equivalent to a Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier in terms of trade value. But the reality is they're not that far off from a Tatum and all three are better than Brown IMO.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

A lot of posters here seem to share that low opinion of them and yet many went crazy about the reported offer for Davis. I guess some people are just afraid of change.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

It would really help if we could actually make it to the playoffs, and then at least one of them can shine consistently in the playoffs. That's why Jaylen Brown seems to have more perceived value than BI. He's not actually better. And BI (or Lonzo, or Kuz) can move up to Tatum or Mitchell territory with a successful individual playoff performance.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Do you think Jaylen Brown will be? The point isn't that they'll never become elite, because I think most Laker fans would tend to agree with that. They're good like you said, but most non-Lakers fans and media love to devalue our players to the point where the consensus opinion now is that they're all busts and barely equivalent to a Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier in terms of trade value. But the reality is they're not that far off from a Tatum and all three are better than Brown IMO.

I think Tatum will be, and that does make him far off from a player that I don't think has the chance to be. You need to have elite players to win.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It's pretty sad how much non Lakers fans hate the Lakers.

I think it’s more because we are starting to cross into Dallas Cowboy territory

So much hype without the results.

What HYPE??...lol... Only this year and most people didnt expect us to do much this year!
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
where24happens wrote:
They aren't that good. Flashes of stardom intermixed with mostly inconsistent play. We are trying to sell potential with this AD trade, not their historical results.

All the pelicans want is potential... Thats what draft picks are... Potential..

There is a good chance any 3 of our guys will turn out better than anyone in this draft...

But when we make a honest evaluation of their "ceilings" have we seen anything from any of them that screams "star in the making"? I think Zo, BI and Kuz are certainly going to be decent NBA players - but decent NBA players aren't the fuel for a championship run.

I kinda see this the other way... I think our guys have showed star potential... I also think the thing we lack is consistency from them...Consistency is a DECENT NBA players number one thing.... There is some star potential with these guys i just wish they played like PROFESSIONALS more(Free Throws)....if we just hit free throws better... it would DRASTICALLY change this team.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
these last 15 games or so show how bad are young players.

they are simply inconsistent.

Some games they will play well. Others not.

The Celtics players of Rozier and Brown showed what they could do in a playoff situation.

Our players are not mentally tough.

You act like we were only without LeBron. Never mind we didn’t have Kuzma (4 games), Lonzo (6.5 games), Rondo (10 games). What team can win games without 3 of their top 4 players? LeBron, Lonzo and Kuzma are in our top 4. Rondo is in top 6. What team can continue to have a winning record.

Take Curry, Durant and Green of GS and they’d be hard pressed to have a winning record. Hell, they struggled when curry was out. They were 5-6 during those 11 games.

How can you judge the kids over that 15 game stretch?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: