Team fans vs player fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
When we traded for Kareem we improved, but nothing really happened until the serendipitous drafting of Magic.

When we signed Shaq we improved, but nothing really happened until Kobe blossomed and Phil became the coach.

When we signed LBJ we improved, but planned to sign our 2nd agent and hope for the evolution of our core. We were well on that path before injuries sidetracked our plan

We are now in the process of destroying the natural space time continuum by trying to force an alternate reality by trading everyone away for AD.

No kismet, or happy accident... but using pure cynical, player management force.

And Kareem and Shaq are way better than AD.

This narrative of you need superstars to win championships never happened the way some of you remember.

We planted two trees... Kareem and Shaq... and nature took care of the rest.

We planted LBJ... but instead of nature... we are using this genetically modified fertilizer called Klutch to speed up the growth of our new tree.
It will kill all our young sprouts... and leave a new frankenstein plant in their place that supposedly will dominate the NBA.

No more natural, organic process like we used the first two times.

Kind of happened the first time with West, Baylor, and Chamberlain too.

Baylor needed to be sacrificed to the anti frankenstein tampering gods before nature would allow our team to start our 33 game winning streak and finally win a title in Los Angeles.

Just kidding... (But there is some truth to what I'm saying...)

Kareem was 32 when we got Magic and Magic was an instant contributor. If we waited 3-4 years for him to blossom, we wouldn't have won 1980 and 1982 for sure.

Shaq was 24 when he signed with us and we got Kobe, so there was time to wait.

LeBron is 34, so the situation is more similar to Kareem. Guys can have a good future ahead of them, I don't argue that. But the fact is the Lakers just can't wait for that right now.

I'm not saying I think this is right or wrong, it's just the reality of facts when you sign a 34 year old LeBron.

If you show a little patience and add an all star caliber player in 2019 then the Lakers will be title contenders during LeBrons years and beyond. If Durant goes to New York and we get Klay we will be among the favorites to win it all and still will have the kids to carry the torch.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

If we trade our young guys to the pelicans, I'd watch them play. It would be like having two teams, still a Lakers fan first.

The only player I would of followed more than the Lakers was KoBe, he was basketball 2000-2012
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Team fans vs player fans

scooterp10 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
I never understood why anybody would be a fan of a player vs being a fan of a team until now because I have let myself get emotionally invested in our young guys. I’ve been a Lakers fan since I was a kid, and I enjoyed the process of watching the kids grow and develop. It is going to be strange for me to watch for a squad of hired mercenaries on one year contracts. I have a feeling I’ll see just as many Suns and Pelicans games in the near future.

I can understand how someone would be a Kobe fan more than a Laker fan, or a Lebron fan more than a Cavs fan, or a Jordan fan more than a Bulls fan. The players are the ones playing the game; not the team jerseys.

That said, it would be hard for me to get overly invested in a bunch of young guys who really haven't done much. If Lonzo, Ingram, etc. are traded they will just be other players in the league who I won't give a second thought to.

I followed Lonzo in high school and college before he became a Laker so it has been a build up of more then just his season and a half in P&G. From the beginning I thoroughly enjoyed the way he plays the game on both ends and I have no doubt that he’ll be given the reigns run the team in Phoenix and take that team to another level. I imagine they will be on TV a lot too.

Whatever works for you. Some people only follow the players who are on their fantasy team that year and the next year they don't care at all about them. It's all good. The NBA is just entertainment so however you use it entertaining yourself to school with me
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OCWA wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
I have been a Lakers since birth, and we always go after superstars. We are the originators of the super team concept.

Wilt, Kareem and Shaq all made it to the finals with their previous teams before signing with the Lakers. AD has been the leader of mediocre teams his entire career. He's an all-star but not a superstar. Also, many of the players on our super teams were drafted/homegrown players. West, Baylor, Magic, Worthy, Cooper, Nixon, Goodrich.

What we are about to do isn't analogous to are previous super teams. We will be building a team the LeBron way, not the Lakers way.

Jinx!

Do I get points for being more concise?

Yep, but I'm just hoping one day it will sink in for some of them.

Malone/Payton superteam = fail

Dwight/Nash superteam = fail

Natural evolution through draft... West, Baylor, Goodrich, Jim McMillian all our draft picks.

Magic, Worthy, Cooper... our picks

Kobe and Fisher... our picks

Kobe and Bynum... our picks

Every time we won a championship, we had key players who were homegrown.

If we execute this trade the way some want... we may have a team with no important players that were Laker picks.

if report is true we keep Ingram, Hart, Svi, Wagner

but Lose Zo and Kuz
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

You can cheer for the team and follow certain players. There are no laws against that. I don’t have one favorite player because I’m no longer a kid, but if Lonzo is OP’s favorite then more power to him/her. As for me, I’m a Lakers fan, win or lose. Zo’s an exciting player with the abilities to be top 10 in the league. I wish him the best. AD is already top 5. It’s a no brainer on the Lakers part.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
OCWA wrote:
€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
I have been a Lakers since birth, and we always go after superstars. We are the originators of the super team concept.

Wilt, Kareem and Shaq all made it to the finals with their previous teams before signing with the Lakers. AD has been the leader of mediocre teams his entire career. He's an all-star but not a superstar. Also, many of the players on our super teams were drafted/homegrown players. West, Baylor, Magic, Worthy, Cooper, Nixon, Goodrich.

What we are about to do isn't analogous to are previous super teams. We will be building a team the LeBron way, not the Lakers way.

Jinx!

Do I get points for being more concise?

Yep, but I'm just hoping one day it will sink in for some of them.

Malone/Payton superteam = fail

Dwight/Nash superteam = fail

Natural evolution through draft... West, Baylor, Goodrich, Jim McMillian all our draft picks.

Magic, Worthy, Cooper... our picks

Kobe and Fisher... our picks

Kobe and Bynum... our picks

Every time we won a championship, we had key players who were homegrown.

If we execute this trade the way some want... we may have a team with no important players that were Laker picks.

if report is true we keep Ingram, Hart, Svi, Wagner

but Lose Zo and Kuz

If we keep those four, I will feel satisfied.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
We'll miss you scooter

Who dat in the background, id dat Scooter?!...
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Basketball is a team game. I never understand those fans following certain players. Either you have a team to root for or you’re just a casual basketball ball fan.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I follow the name on the front of jersey, I fully support those who play for the jersey.

To say I'd follow their progress if they're traded would be a lie, I don't get emotionally attached to anyone. Players come and go, the one constant is always the Lakers.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Team fans vs player fans

Name on the front. Always.

Whoever wears the uniform means nothing to me, if we are winning. They are not friends and family.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Former Lakers who leave under good terms always have a special place in my fandom. I will probably always support the Lakers, and whoever they bring onboard. I never thought I'd root for Rondo, but here I go. When players we draft leave, I still follow them. Very happy for D'angelo. Wish we still had Larry. Still want Clarkson to do well, just not against us.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Our society worships vanity, fame and materialism, instead of worshiping teamwork, industriousness and loyalty. Because of that we're a society that practices idolatry, especially with celebrities. That's why people are fans of a player more than a team.

It's worse in the NBA because it's more superstar driven than the three other major sports in our nation.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Our society worships vanity, fame and materialism, instead of worshiping teamwork, industriousness and loyalty. Because of that we're a society that practices idolatry, especially with celebrities. That's why people are fans of a player more than a team.

It's worse in the NBA because it's more superstar driven than the three other major sports in our nation.

You're not wrong, man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: