empire actor allegedly attacked in hate crime (all charges dropped against smollett)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Tina Glandian, one of Smollett’s lawyers said this:
Quote:
”I think if they [prosecutors] believed the charges, they never would have dismissed the case."

Yesterday she said the Osundairo brothers did it because they were angry at Smollett but didn't provide a reason why.

Today she said the brothers likely wore white makeup. I guess she had to back track from Smollett's claim the assailants were white.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Quote:
The FBI is reviewing the circumstances surrounding the dismissal of criminal charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, two law enforcement officials confirmed.

I would think Foxx should be more concerned about the FBI's involvement since they'll be looking into possible corruption in her office.

Then again, Tchin and Foxx were trying to steer the investigation to the FBI in the first place so maybe those strings have already been pulled.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I have a feeling Kim Foxx is in some deep doo doo.

I'd be surprised if there was any illegality involved in the decision to dismiss the charges that she'd be foolish enough to leave any meaningful evidence of it. If she made any political deals, I am sure they would be of the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" variety that are very difficult to prove.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I'd be surprised if there was any illegality involved in the decision to dismiss the charges that she'd be foolish enough to leave any meaningful evidence of it. If she made any political deals, I am sure they would be of the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" variety that are very difficult to prove.

Agreed. The only thing would be if there isn’t actually precedent for charges to be dropped for similar cases or anything else that is unusual.

Even then, it COULD have just been a poor decision so unles there is proof she did it as a favor or for something in return (and I doubt the latter), it would be tough to prove in court. Maybe they’ll just let her resign or something, as I doubt they want to charge her with anything criminal even if they could.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The city of Chicago delivered a letter to Jussie Smollett's legal team seeking $130,000 from the actor, a spokesperson for the city law department revealed to Fox News on Thursday, as Smollett's lawyers demanded an apology from Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson for "for dragging an innocent man’s character through the mud."

"It is the Mayor and the Police Chief who owe Jussie - owe him an apology - for dragging an innocent man’s character through the mud. Jussie has paid enough," the legal team's statement said.

According to the city law department, the city of Chicago is seeking "immediate payment" of the $130,000 "expended on overtime hours in the investigation of this matter," adding that if the amount is not paid within 7 days the "Department of Law may prosecute" Smollett "for making a false statement to the City" or "pursue any other legal remedy available at law."

What does that last part mean and how does it differ from the police charging him with making the false report?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

He’s still going after his two friends. One of his attorneys is now saying one of the brothers could have been wearing whiteface during the attack.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jussie-smolletts-attorney-suggests-attackers-wore-whiteface-1197925
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Smollet and Emanuel seem to be on a mission to out do each other as epic fools.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I may be alone in this, but I just wish Jussie would come clean. Throwing his two friends under the bus and still acting like he’s a victim in all this, just wrong.

Own up, apologize, and then he and all of us can move on.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I may be alone in this, but I just wish Jussie would come clean. Throwing his two friends under the bus and still acting like he’s a victim in all this, just wrong.

Own up, apologize, and then he and all of us can move on.

Imagine (bleep) up this publicly, somehow getting off scot-free, and then doubling down. What is wrong with him
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Agreed. The only thing would be if there isn’t actually precedent for charges to be dropped for similar cases or anything else that is unusual.

Even then, it COULD have just been a poor decision so unles there is proof she did it as a favor or for something in return (and I doubt the latter), it would be tough to prove in court. Maybe they’ll just let her resign or something, as I doubt they want to charge her with anything criminal even if they could.

She asked her staff to look for cases similar to Smollett's that had charges dropped. She's looking for a precedence.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

For those who think this is just your typical high-profile case:

PRESIDENT TRUMP
USES JUSSIE SMOLLETT AS MAGA RALLYING CRY

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

PRESIDENT TRUMP

That's not a surprise. On pg 28 24Legend007 posted "Nobody was really physically harmed." I thought "He gave MAGA another talking point, LBGT a black mark." Trump's gonna ride this horse till it drops.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

PRESIDENT TRUMP

That's not a surprise. On pg 28 24Legend007 posted "Nobody was really physically harmed." I thought "He gave MAGA another talking point, LBGT a black mark." Trump's gonna ride this horse till it drops.

I think the horse he’ll ride will probably be the Mueller report, but man, Trump is a walking facepalm.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

PRESIDENT TRUMP

I think the horse he’ll ride will probably be the Mueller report, but man, Trump is a walking facepalm.

I don't think the Muller report is a done thing. Schiff and Pelosi are going to get that report to the public. I think there's more to it than Trump wants the public to see. He's not playing that card as hard as I thought he would.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

Statement from the Illinois Prosecutors Bar Association:

LINK

Quote:
The manner in which this case was dismissed was abnormal and unfamiliar to those who practice law in criminal courthouses across the State. Prosecutors, defense attorneys, and judges alike do not recognize the arrangement Mr. Smollett received. Even more problematic, the State’s Attorney and her representatives have fundamentally misled the public on the law and circumstances surrounding the dismissal.

Quote:
When an elected State’s Attorney recuses herself from a prosecution, Illinois law provides that the court shall appoint a special prosecutor. See 55 ILCS 5/3-9008(a-15). Typically, the special prosecutor is a neighboring State’s Attorney, the Attorney General, or the State Appellate Prosecutor. Here, the State’s Attorney kept the case within her office and thus never actually recused herself as a matter of law.

Foxx's office now saying she didn't “formally” recuse herself from the case and that she used the term "recuse" in a "colloquial" sense rather than a legal sense.

Quote:
Additionally, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office falsely informed the public that the uncontested sealing of the criminal court case was “mandatory” under Illinois law. This statement is not accurate. To the extent the case was even eligible for an immediate seal, that action was discretionary, not mandatory, and only upon the proper filing of a petition to seal.

Quote:
Lastly, the State’s Attorney has claimed this arrangement is “available to all defendants” and “not a new or unusual practice.” There has even been an implication it was done in accordance with a statutory diversion program. These statements are plainly misleading and inaccurate. This action was highly unusual, not a statutory diversion program, and not in accordance with well accepted practices of State’s Attorney initiated diversionary programs.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

Statement from the National District Attorneys Assocation:

https://ndaa.org/wp-content/uploads/NDAA-Press-Release-on-Prosecutorial-Best-Practices-in-High-Profile-Cases.pdf

Quote:
First, when a chief prosecutor recuses him or herself, the recusal must apply to the entire office, not just the elected or appointed prosecutor. This is consistent with best practices for prosecutors’ offices around the country.

Second, prosecutors should not take advice from politically connected friends of the accused. Each case should be approached with the goal of justice for victims while protecting the rights of the defendant.

Third, when a prosecutor seeks to resolve a case through diversion or some other alternative to prosecution, it should be done so with an acknowledgement of culpability on the part of the defendant. A case with the consequential effects of Mr. Smollett’s should not be resolved without a finding of guilt or innocence.

Fourth, expunging Mr. Smollett’s record at this immediate stage is counter to transparency. Law enforcement will now not be able to acknowledge that Mr. Smollett was indicted and charged with these horrible crimes and the full record of what occurred will be forever hidden from public view.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Statement from the National District Attorneys Assocation:

https://ndaa.org/wp-content/uploads/NDAA-Press-Release-on-Prosecutorial-Best-Practices-in-High-Profile-Cases.pdf

Quote:
First, when a chief prosecutor recuses him or herself, the recusal must apply to the entire office, not just the elected or appointed prosecutor. This is consistent with best practices for prosecutors’ offices around the country.

Second, prosecutors should not take advice from politically connected friends of the accused. Each case should be approached with the goal of justice for victims while protecting the rights of the defendant.

Third, when a prosecutor seeks to resolve a case through diversion or some other alternative to prosecution, it should be done so with an acknowledgement of culpability on the part of the defendant. A case with the consequential effects of Mr. Smollett’s should not be resolved without a finding of guilt or innocence.

Fourth, expunging Mr. Smollett’s record at this immediate stage is counter to transparency. Law enforcement will now not be able to acknowledge that Mr. Smollett was indicted and charged with these horrible crimes and the full record of what occurred will be forever hidden from public view.

The case that will never end. Can't even make a movie about it yet because no one knows ... what will happen next!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

The case that will never end. Can't even make a movie about it yet because no one knows ... what will happen next!

With all these lawyers coming out publicly and pointing out the improper handling of this case I don't know how the FBI and DOJ can come in and find nothing now. This story's become as much about Kim Foxx as it is about Jussie Smollett.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

With all these lawyers coming out publicly and pointing out the improper handling of this case I don't know how the FBI and DOJ can come in and find nothing now. This story's become as much about Kim Foxx as it is about Jussie Smollett.

I wonder too, if Jussie would have just come clean, apologized, and his team of attorneys wasn’t out there putting the brothers under the bus with allegations of them using whiteface, if anyone would have bothered to pursue this.

I think people are really put off with how he is still acting like the victim here.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

With all these lawyers coming out publicly and pointing out the improper handling of this case I don't know how the FBI and DOJ can come in and find nothing now.

Improper isn't necessarily illegal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I wonder too, if Jussie would have just come clean, apologized, and his team of attorneys wasn’t out there putting the brothers under the bus with allegations of them using whiteface, if anyone would have bothered to pursue this.

I think people are really put off with how he is still acting like the victim here.

I can understand why he didn't come clean. His career and public image would be destroyed. At this point he has to stick to the story and hope it doesn't unravel any further.

Smollett's lawyer is just making things worse.

Looks like the Illinois Attorney General's Office is also being asked to review this case by a state representative who previously served as a prosecutor in Cook County.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/illinois-attorney-general-asked-review-integrity-jussie-smollett-case/
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

With all these lawyers coming out publicly and pointing out the improper handling of this case I don't know how the FBI and DOJ can come in and find nothing now.

Improper was my description. I'll let the lawyers decide the legality.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Improper was my description. I'll let the lawyers decide the legality.

Of course. My point is that despite how wildly improper this appears, there may be little that the FBI/DOJ can do.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

Somehow, amazingly, Jussie Smollett has been nominated for an NAACP award.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/03/28/jussie-smollett-up-naacp-award-host-anthony-anderson-hopes-he-wins/3298234002/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

Kim Foxx is an elected official. She may have put her political future in jeopardy.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 29 of 35
Jump to: