empire actor allegedly attacked in hate crime (all charges dropped against smollett)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Watching MSNBC Smollett leaving jail. His body guard is so big you can't see Jussie. Jussie is 6' and this dude completely blots him. At first if I hadn't noticed Jussie's hand I wouldn't have known he was there.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
CrangesMcBasketball

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
There's nothing to be gained by locking him up. He should have to pay restitution for the time spent investigating his false claim combined with a hefty fine. Give him a great deal of community service time dealing with victim support groups and LGQBT associations.

I am not sure you can sentence someone to do community service so specific as "LGQBT associations".....probably could only go as far as "victim support groups".

I would let him not serve time if he came with an alternative solution

What is he willing to do to be free

I don't think some of you understand the severity of his crimes. You can't just pick and choose your punishment. Not how the law works. He WASTED lots of police resources, spit in the faces of the CPD as well as it's residents and whether you support him or not, insulted EVERY SINGLE trump supporter out there including the ones who are minorities.

He committed mail fraud ( a serious felony) potentially orchestrated a terrorist threat (white powder) and falsified a police report.

One top of all of that, this guy is one of the dumbest mother (bleep) I've ever seen. Couldn't even plan his "crime" right.

He needs to be locked up but unfortunately, he won't. GoFundMe account for him starting in 3.....2.....1...
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

without jail time he won't have anything in common with 2pac
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

CrangesMcBasketball wrote:

I don't think some of you understand the severity of his crimes. You can't just pick and choose your punishment. Not how the law works. He WASTED lots of police resources, spit in the faces of the CPD as well as it's residents and whether you support him or not, insulted EVERY SINGLE trump supporter out there including the ones who are minorities.

He committed mail fraud ( a serious felony) potentially orchestrated a terrorist threat (white powder) and falsified a police report.

One top of all of that, this guy is one of the dumbest mother (bleep) I've ever seen. Couldn't even plan his "crime" right.

He needs to be locked up but unfortunately, he won't. GoFundMe account for him starting in 3.....2.....1...

I fully understand the crime and how the law works. And not one person has suggested that Smollet get to pick his own punishment. The Distract Attorney decides the charges and the judges determine the actual sentencing. And they should do so on the actual merits of the case and the level harm done. They also must weight the benefits and results of the sentencing. Throwing Smollet in an overcrowded prison does little other than satisfy some peoples's call for "blood". There's no real justice served in such a move, just punitive measures.

It's interesting that so many are calling for Smollet to have the book thrown at them for a crime essentially committed on himself. As has been said, he didn't falsely accuse an individual, no suspects were incorrectly arrested or charged. The only violence and threat was against himself. Meanwhile, there have been multiple people like BBQ Betty etc. who have attempted to get actual individuals who were absolutely innocent arrested by reporting alleged "crimes". Those people were not victimless in their actions, and yet there is nowhere near the outcry for them to be punished at all. There are two distinct differences between them and Smollet - one is that Smollet is a celebrity and thus gained a great deal of attention . . . anyone care to guess what the other difference is?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
CrangesMcBasketball wrote:

I fully understand the crime and how the law works. And not one person has suggested that Smollet get to pick his own punishment. The Distract Attorney decides the charges and the judges determine the actual sentencing. And they should do so on the actual merits of the case and the level harm done. They also must weight the benefits and results of the sentencing. Throwing Smollet in an overcrowded prison does little other than satisfy some peoples's call for "blood". There's no real justice served in such a move, just punitive measures.

It's interesting that so many are calling for Smollet to have the book thrown at them for a crime essentially committed on himself. As has been said, he didn't falsely accuse an individual, no suspects were incorrectly arrested or charged. The only violence and threat was against himself. Meanwhile, there have been multiple people like BBQ Betty etc. who have attempted to get actual individuals who were absolutely innocent arrested by reporting alleged "crimes". Those people were not victimless in their actions, and yet there is nowhere near the outcry for them to be punished at all. There are two distinct differences between them and Smollet - one is that Smollet is a celebrity and thus gained a great deal of attention . . . anyone care to guess what the other difference is?

Race... as well as premeditation, desire for personal gain, planted evidence, a wave of initial support from the media, severity of alleged crime and the list goes on.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
There's nothing to be gained by locking him up. He should have to pay restitution for the time spent investigating his false claim combined with a hefty fine. Give him a great deal of community service time dealing with victim support groups and LGQBT associations.

Good with that but only if he owns up.

If he wastes more of the city's time by pleading not guilty, well, throw the book at him if he's found not guilty IMO.

If he wants leniency/mercy, he needs to show some semblance of remorse.

The sentencing should be in accordance with the crime itself, and everyone (even the guilty) have the right to mount a defense, including defending themselves in court.

So the decision to put him in jail or not shouldn't be based on how quickly he comes clean (or doesn't). Any leniency or severity in the sentencing should be within the scope of the above in regards to the amount of said fines and restitution and length of probation and community service.

Yeah, but the crime itself carries a possible sentence of 3 yrs in prison. So when would anyone actually get prison time if not Smollett?

Again, what is accomplished by sending him to prison? This is essentially a victimless crime. No one was actually harmed, endangered or wrongly accused. If he had actually accused a specific person of persons who were subsequently arrested or labeled as a possible criminal, or if the police had actually incorrectly charged potential suspects, then yes. By all means sentence him to prison, and do so harshly if he furthers the damage to those individuals by continuing the ruse.

But to just decide to give him the max sentence simply because he didn't cooperate right away or come clean as soon as someone would like doesn't really further any kind of justice in regards to the actual crime.

His time would be better spent being made to speak to others about the consequences of his actions, doing service to those who have actually been affected by the crimes in order to educate him on the perils of his crime and the effects on true victims. Just incarcerating him to get some kind of revenge isn't really what sentencing in a case like this should be about.

The bolded. He allowed the two black fellas to be arrested and never told the truth. They are now victims of him not telling the truth. he knew he set it all up, and he knew he paid them to do those things. he should've come clean. he put those guys in danger since we all know black men and run ins with the cops can be a shaky situation. so this is putting someone in danger. along with falsely allowing them to be accused when you set it all up.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Smollett committed some serious infractions. His status most likely will be taken into consideration if he loses in court and is sentenced. I don't think it should be but think it will be.

I don't advocate jail time. I don't see how that would benefit anyone except those who want blood. He's going to be punished in the court of public opinion and by the entertainment industry.

He's done damage. He's in a small group who commit these type crimes. I don't think the damage to the LGBT community will be that sever.

For all practical purposes he's severely punished himself.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Race... as well as premeditation, desire for personal gain, planted evidence, a wave of initial support from the media, severity of alleged crime and the list goes on.

I think all crimes of filing a false police report would have some sort of premeditation.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
According to Huffington Post, Smollett was paid $65,000 per episode in the latest season of the hit Fox show “Empire." At an average of 18 episodes per season, that would put the total haul at $1,170,000.

That represents a significant bump up in pay, more than 200 percent, from the rough estimate by Variety in 2016, which reckoned he was making $20,000 per episode.

For those who watch Empire how big is Smollett's role on the show? What he did was despicable but if he has a significant role on a hit show that's peanuts. For comparison the two actresses (Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch) on the Big Bang Theory, who weren't part of the original cast, were making $175,000 per episode and felt they were severely underpaid compared to other cast members who were making over a million. Lucky for them the rest of the cast agreed to take pay cuts to give them significant raises.

TNT dropping Smollett's episode of Drop the Mic. That sucks for the other performers who were in it.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

I think all crimes of filing a false police report would have some sort of premeditation.

I mean, in a sense, anything we do is premeditated unless you’re overcome by an emotion or something like that. The point is his was planned ahead of time where the others were reactionary.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:
According to Huffington Post, Smollett was paid $65,000 per episode in the latest season of the hit Fox show “Empire." At an average of 18 episodes per season, that would put the total haul at $1,170,000.

That represents a significant bump up in pay, more than 200 percent, from the rough estimate by Variety in 2016, which reckoned he was making $20,000 per episode.

For those who watch Empire how big is Smollett's role on the show? What he did was despicable but if he has a significant role on a hit show that's peanuts. For comparison the two actresses (Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch) on the Big Bang Theory, who weren't part of the original cast, were making $175,000 per episode and felt they were severely underpaid compared to other cast members who were making over a million. Lucky for them the rest of the cast agreed to take pay cuts to give them significant raises.

TNT dropping Smollett's episode of Drop the Mic. That sucks for the other performers who were in it.

I only watched the first season but from that he was basically the third biggest role on the show. Also he is the leading singer/performer on the show.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:

I only watched the first season but from that he was basically the third biggest role on the show. Also he is the leading singer/performer on the show.

Thanks. I'm not trying to justify his actions but at least I understand the why of it now.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:

I watched every season, every episode.

I won't miss Jussie on the show. Cookie and Lucious were my focus. Without them the show couldn't go on. I didn't have a lot of interest Smollett's story line. It had social impact. It will be missed by the LBGT community.

His giving that community a face was important for acceptance. It galls me he took that face away.

His taking the food off the tables of others is unforgivable.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
The bolded. He allowed the two black fellas to be arrested and never told the truth. They are now victims of him not telling the truth. he knew he set it all up, and he knew he paid them to do those things. he should've come clean. he put those guys in danger since we all know black men and run ins with the cops can be a shaky situation. so this is putting someone in danger. along with falsely allowing them to be accused when you set it all up.

Yep. This is exactly why you don't levy punishments based on the outcome. That would a horrible process for managing crime. There would also be no distinctions between an accident and having had intent to harm.

This may come as a shock to some, but we have a number of crimes that have no tangible victim you can point to, and rightfully so. For instance, attempting to commit wire fraud. Just because no one was "actually" endangered or harmed doesn't (and shouldn't) give you a hall pass.

Not sure why anyone would even care enough to talk about leniency. I believe the worst reasonable case scenario is like 18 months in prison. No one should lose sleep over that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

This tweet is from a racists. His base will eat it up. What gall!

Quote:
Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
9h9 hours ago
More
. [ at ] JussieSmollett - what about MAGA and the tens of millions of people you insulted with your racist and dangerous comments!? #MAGA

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Good to see Trump using his "executive time" wisely.
Trump asking for an apology because someone lied and made generalizations that offend people. That's rich. I'm sure the hypocrisy will pass right over the heads of his followers.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I am not sure you can sentence someone to do community service so specific as "LGQBT associations".....probably could only go as far as "victim support groups".

No. Part of the problem is this clown thinks he's special. He is just another criminal. Why should they tailor his punishment to his desires. No, Gay Tupac needs to be picking up trash by the side of the freeway, just like the other plebes.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

No. Part of the problem is this clown thinks he's special. He is just another criminal. Why should they tailor his punishment to his desires. No, Gay Tupac needs to be picking up trash by the side of the freeway, just like the other plebes.

All Liez on Me

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuH8pzpHf3K/?utm_source=ig_embed
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

He allowed the two black fellas to be arrested and never told the truth. They are now victims of him not telling the truth. he knew he set it all up, and he knew he paid them to do those things. he should've come clean. he put those guys in danger since we all know black men and run ins with the cops can be a shaky situation. so this is putting someone in danger. along with falsely allowing them to be accused when you set it all up.

The moment those 2 guys accepted money to commit a crime, they became criminals and criminals are always subject to arrest for their crimes. In Illinois, they could have been charged with a conspiracy to commit, but I reckon Law Enforcement agreed not to file charges, and called it even Steven, when they dropped the dime on Schmuckkets.

Also, Jesse could have been charged with Solicitation. The fact that he wasn't givess a likely clue to how all this will go down. A stern rebuke from the Judge, and some community service and probation. Schmuckkets is ultimately guilty of being Felony Stupid.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Appears that he is doubling down and going after the Chicago PD. His legal team released a statement:

Quote:
”Today we witnessed an organized law enforcement spectacle that has no place in the American legal system. The presumption of innocence, a bedrock in the search for justice, was trampled upon at the expense of Mr. Smollett and notably, on the eve of a Mayoral election. Mr. Smollett is a young man of impeccable character and integrity who fiercely and solemnly maintains his innocence and feels betrayed by a system that apparently wants to skip due process and proceed directly to sentencing.”

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/jussie-smollett-attorneys-victim-police-spectacle-1203145787/
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

And some more details emerge, including Smollett maintaining his innocence. Some snippets from two articles.

Quote:
Then on January 25, Jussie fires off the text to Abel Osundairo, saying ... "Might need your help on the low. You around to meet up and talk face to face?" Cops say Abel and Jussie had been friends since the fall of 2017, and that Jussie sometimes scored ecstasy from him.

Quote:
Interestingly, police are now revealing they do have surveillance video of the brothers waiting on a bench near the predetermined staging location around 2 AM. Cops say Jussie was running late.

Quote:
And, there's this ... you'll recall Smollett's camp told TMZ the day of the attack, he believed his attackers were white. Cops say he also told them, "he could see that the area around this person's eyes was white-skinned."

Quote:
Shortly after news of his release was announced, Smollett returned to the set of Empire, Variety reports. The actor also reportedly addressed the cast and crew when he arrived. "I’m sorry I’ve put you all through this and not answered any calls," Smollett said, per TMZ. "I wanted to say I’m sorry and, you know me, I would never do this to any of you, you are my family. I swear to God, I did not do this."

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/02/prosecutors-detail-text-message-evidence-against-jussie-smollett

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/21/jussie-smollett-staged-attack-plans-brothers-text-messages/
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

One thing for sure, Schmuckkets lawyers should make certain that Judge that arraigned him, never again comes within a million feet of the case. A Judge is supposed to maintain the appearance of impartiality above all else and the type of crap he was spewing was misplaced for a yet to be decided case where innocence in to be presumed.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm all on the Jussie Smollett redemption tour. Let's get those tears, y'all!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
[He allowed the two black fellas to be arrested and never told the truth.

Two men who were willing and paid accomplices. VERY, very different than targeting someone for a false accusation. To ignore that significant detail is egregiously disingenuous.

Look, there's no doubt Smollet should be punished, and in a severe and meaningful fashion. And the meaningful part is what it comes down to. Our penal system should be about incarcerating people who are truly dangerous to others either through violence or a gross indifference for the safety and well being of others, or those who have severely compromised innocent people with intent to exploit them as individuals. It should not be about punitively looking for vengeance against people who piss us off by their selfishly destructive behavior.

If Smollet had conspired to specifically frame completely innocent individuals out of malice, then yes prison should be on the table. But that's not the extent of what he did. He faked an an attack in a foolish and desperate attention grab. While he certainly wasted the resources of the Chicago Police and others, there were no individuals who were victimized in a dangerous fashion - not even the two paid accomplices who were arrested for participating in the staging of the attack.

There are far more productive ways to punish Smollet without resorting to draconian measures meant merely to mete out vengeance on someone whose act wasn't a malicious or violent one meant to victimize another innocent people.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Not sure why anyone would even care enough to talk about leniency.

No one is talking about leniency.

They are talking about how pointless incarceration as a punitive measure is a mistake when there are more productive measures of sentencing that don't needlessly tax an overcrowded prison system with people who don't need to be there.

There's a vast and important difference between the two.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 16 of 35
Jump to: