Am I the only one that DOESN'T want to trade for Anthony Davis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers trade for AD?
Yes. He's a top 5 player and he's worth our young core
68%
 68%  [ 139 ]
No. If he comes, let him come as a Free Agent. Lets keep our young core
31%
 31%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 202

kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Anyone who doesn't want AD, hasn't been here for the last 6 years. I guess the tank commanders want to keep their lg posting jobs.
same people who thought Ebanks was the next Ariza, Sacre would be a starting center, Clarkson would be a breakout allstar. Don’t remember these names? Well that’s the point..

People here have always severely overrated our young players. I get it, you watch the games and get attached to them, it makes being a fan that much more bearable. Fortunately our FO isn’t as shortsighted. Sorry, Lonz/Kuzma/Ingram are nowhere close to Embiid/Simmons.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Shaq on the trade....

VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Im with OP. AD with his history of injury is not worth all our young guns!

2 of Zo, Hart, BI, Zu, plus draft picks but not all 4
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you think that what they have right now is somehow better than AD, Lebron, max FA and the rest of the roster filled with free agents? I'd argue that waiting for our young guys to turn into anything other than complimentary pieces is a pretty long shot.

No, I'm saying that a roster of 35 y/o Lebron, AD, FA signing and a bunch of fill ins does not have great odds of getting past the Warriors in the West, or the Celtics in a championship next year. Who's the FA anyway? Kyrie or Kawhi would be ideal, but there's no guarantee they come here as FA.

The advantage we had with Kobe/Shaq was that they were both young and we had time to construct a team around them. Lebron has a short window to win a title, and I'm more in favor of building a team that will contend for a decade over one that has a title window of 2-3 years then it's back to the drawing board.

If the thought process is leverage the fact that Lebron is here to land a player we can build around for the next decade, well okay ... I just don't see championships in the near future with a 34 year old Lebron if we gut the roster to try to land AD in the next week.

Gotcha. I will say that I've heard a lot of people lementing the fact that old man James has such a small window that it would be pointless to mortgage the future for such a short period. My response is that AD is a 26 year old superstar. He'd presumably sign a huge extension and be here for at least the rest of his prime.

AD + Magic + LA. Does anyone think the Lakers would have trouble getting good basketball players to join the team?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Trading Eddie with Elden for Glen Rice made sense... Glen was probably a top ten player that season... best shooter in the league that previous season. But we didn't have to trade an entire core for him.

The primary reason the Lakers made the trade was because they thought Eddie and Kobe were both shooting guards and they couldn't play together in the same lineup. Eddie's poor start in their attempt to play together convinced the Lakers to do for Rice instead.

We gave up a lot for Rice. Campbell was a proven starting center who could put up 15-8 and Eddie was a two-time all-star. I'd argue that the two of them were equal or better to our "young core," none of whom has really shown themselves to be much better than an average NBA player at this point.

Also, Rice wasn't in the same class as AD is now. We got Rice at the very top of his career, and I probably wouldn't consider him a top 10 player in his best season. (The highest he ever finished in MVP voting was 11th.)
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm 50-50 on this only because I'm a Kuzma fan and I know 100% we'd have to give him up. I'd actually like to see him paired with AD if possible, but most likely won't happen.

If we wait until he's a FA, LBJ will be a bit longer in the tooth and it may not bode well, however he is LBJ and we could get another player to partner up; either Klay or Kyrie!

Here's the reality: Considering all things, AD is a legit top 5 in this league and that's hard to come by. Will any of our young core be considered that? It remains to be seen, but the chances are slim.

There's a huge difference between a "Good-Player", an "All-Star", and a "Super-Star" player....

IMO AD = Superstar standing at 6'10/11 with a 7'6" wingspan listed at 245, can handle the rock, score from inside/out, man the middle. He's everything a team needs to be successful.

For some reason I believe we'll keep BI in all of this and if that's the case then so be it... I'd rather have one of our young guys to pair with him, but...
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: !!

VincentTH wrote:

What! Our young guys are falling apart too. AD is 25 year old legacy!! come on man how can you believe this. NO superstars no bling bling. Unless you draft the next LBJ, AD, KD etc. you're wasting your time specially in LA. Our rookies are good but they will never bring us a ring.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Anyone who doesn't want AD, hasn't been here for the last 6 years. I guess the tank commanders want to keep their lg posting jobs.
same people who thought Ebanks was the next Ariza, Sacre would be a starting center, Clarkson would be a breakout allstar. Don’t remember these names? Well that’s the point..

People here have always severely overrated our young players. I get it, you watch the games and get attached to them, it makes being a fan that much more bearable. Fortunately our FO isn’t as shortsighted. Sorry, Lonz/Kuzma/Ingram are nowhere close to Embiid/Simmons.

Sports fans in general tend to rate their own players more highly than players on other teams who are just as good.

Our young guys have different degrees of promise, but I think you would be hard put to make a strong case that any of them at this point is a significantly above average NBA player. If they were on other teams, and we were targeted them as trade acquisitions, I doubt any of them would generate much excitement on LG.

And, yes, I too remember when many people here were declaring Clarkson would be an All-Star and Sacre would emerge as a strong starting center.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you think that what they have right now is somehow better than AD, Lebron, max FA and the rest of the roster filled with free agents? I'd argue that waiting for our young guys to turn into anything other than complimentary pieces is a pretty long shot.

No, I'm saying that a roster of 35 y/o Lebron, AD, FA signing and a bunch of fill ins does not have great odds of getting past the Warriors in the West, or the Celtics in a championship next year. Who's the FA anyway? Kyrie or Kawhi would be ideal, but there's no guarantee they come here as FA.

The advantage we had with Kobe/Shaq was that they were both young and we had time to construct a team around them. Lebron has a short window to win a title, and I'm more in favor of building a team that will contend for a decade over one that has a title window of 2-3 years then it's back to the drawing board.

If the thought process is leverage the fact that Lebron is here to land a player we can build around for the next decade, well okay ... I just don't see championships in the near future with a 34 year old Lebron if we gut the roster to try to land AD in the next week.

Gotcha. I will say that I've heard a lot of people lementing the fact that old man James has such a small window that it would be pointless to mortgage the future for such a short period. My response is that AD is a 26 year old superstar. He'd presumably sign a huge extension and be here for at least the rest of his prime.

AD + Magic + LA. Does anyone think the Lakers would have trouble getting good basketball players to join the team?

The problem is Lebron's contract is not going to age well. Father time is undefeated and he just had the worst injury of his career. Recovery takes longer. It's going to be hard to add talent with Lebron/AD taking up about 70% of the cap, especially with the entire NBA colluding to stop the Lakers. I'd still do the trade and take my chances, but it'll take some luck to build a real team around them. Four years from now though, when Lebron retires, anything can happen.
Grodyman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I think our core stinks, lower tier playoff team with LBJ. Clearly they aren't worth much.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: !!

Stumpy25 wrote:
VincentTH wrote:

What! Our young guys are falling apart too. AD is 25 year old legacy!! come on man how can you believe this. NO superstars no bling bling. Unless you draft the next LBJ, AD, KD etc. you're wasting your time specially in LA. Our rookies are good but they will never bring us a ring.

Correct. IF the FO could they trade for AD now.
AQuestSupreme
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject:

If you don't want AD, you're not serious about winning.

To win in the NBA, you need thoroughbreds. The Lakers have none outside of Lebron, and it is highly doubtful anyone on this squad will become a player that can be a tier-1 player. I don't doubt Kuz, Bi, and Lonzo will be good to All-Star level players, but that won't cut it in the face of super teams with multiple MVP or MVP-caliber players.

Even getting someone like Kyrie is huge. He is highly efficient from every level on the court, and can break down defenses at an all-time great level.
ibij
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

No to AD if Lakers have to gut the freaking team.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Hell yeah I'll trade everyone of their butts outta here. I'm tired of .500 basketball.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I am thinking both ways.

But seriously, why gut the team when all you have to do is sign Kevin Durant or DMC or Kyrie Irving during the summer???

I think we can beat the Warriors with our present players. I mean we almost beat the warriors last night without Lonzo Ball and Lebron James.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
I think a lot of you forget how injury prone AD is. Not that Zo or Kuz are exactly AC Green but still.

He’s been really solid health wise the last few years. I believe he’s only missed single digit games each season. He seems to have a scare every week where he has to go into the locker room, but he’s seems to always be back on the floor really quickly.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
I am thinking both ways.

But seriously, why gut the team when all you have to do is sign Kevin Durant or DMC or Kyrie Irving during the summer???

I think we can beat the Warriors with our present players. I mean we almost beat the warriors last night without Lonzo Ball and Lebron James.

GSW toyed with us for 3 Q's and released the hammer in the 4th, your talking
about a team basically full of all stars against one that has none. In a series, we can't
compete against the top teams in the east or west as presently constructed.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I am thinking both ways.

about a team basically full of all stars against one that has none. In a series, we can't

The lakers beat them in December with an injured Lebron James and Rondo manning the point. The lakers could beat them last night if Lebron James and lonzo ball and a healthy kuzma playing in the 4th quarter...in the end all that matters is if this team as presently constructed can beat the warriors in the finals. I believe they can do this with our present lineup.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

It’s always a risk, but damn most of guys can’t find the basket with both hands. I’ll take a top 5 player over guys who can’t cut the mustard. I don’t think it’s the whole core probably 2 or 3.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
deal wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I am thinking both ways.

The lakers beat them in December with an injured Lebron James and Rondo manning the point. The lakers could beat them last night if Lebron James and lonzo ball and a healthy kuzma playing in the 4th quarter...in the end all that matters is if this team as presently constructed can beat the warriors in the finals. I believe they can do this with our present lineup.

Lol....one game and suddenly we are on the same level of GSW? Cmon now, lets be real, it's just one game and no more than an aberration to me. We also lose to Orlando a couple of times and even the Knicks. With this team presently constructed and barring injuries, we can get through the first round at best, on the assumption that we arent facing GSW in the first round as the 8th seed.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why it has to be "all" of our "young core". That's a hefty price.

But yes, we definitely want AD in PnG until he retires. The poll is flawed as it assumes either we trade all of our "young core", or if we don't, no AD. There is some middle ground.

Jake Speed, 1986
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

statyin wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
deal wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I am thinking both ways.

Lol....one game and suddenly we are on the same level of GSW? Cmon now, lets be real, it's just one game and no more than an aberration to me. We also lose to Orlando a couple of times and even the Knicks. With this team presently constructed and barring injuries, we can get through the first round at best, on the assumption that we arent facing GSW in the first round as the 8th seed.

Regular games and playoff games are two different animals. I will take my chances because we have a good mix of veterans and young players. But we need a healthy Lebron James, Ball, kuzma and Rondo if we are going to win the title.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

The real difference between the December game and last game is Cousins. He masks the decline of Draymond. Next year when Cousins and Durant goes, and the Warriors are stuck with regular season MVP (but never playoff MVP) Curry, Thompson, and a semi-washed up Draymond ... they're done.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I believe the trio of Zubac, Mcgee and either Chandler or Wagner will be enough to contain DMC or at least minimize his effectiveness.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

VincentTH wrote:

He’s played 75 games each of the last two seasons. I think the “injury history” thing is moot.

Also, look at Shaqs injury history around the same age. Played 52 games the year before the lakers traded for him, then didn’t play anything close to a full season until the year of the first chip.

But you still had to move all those pieces to make the acquisition, 10 times out of 10.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: