Am I the only one that DOESN'T want to trade for Anthony Davis?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers trade for AD?
Yes. He's a top 5 player and he's worth our young core
68%
 68%  [ 139 ]
No. If he comes, let him come as a Free Agent. Lets keep our young core
31%
 31%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 202

troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Am I the only one that DOESN'T want to trade for Anthony Davis?

I'm sure I'll get some negative responses, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I don't want my Lakers to trade for Anthony Davis.

How many of us on LG were angry with the Miami Heat for their manipulations in stacking up that team? How many of us were angry at Lebron James's arrogance? How many of us saw the Heat the villain team?

And now, how many of us are cheering for the exact same thing to happen for us? Hypocrites?

Look. I know our young players annoy the hell out of us. And I'm not so sure if they'll ever be what we need. But I do see things in them that are intriguing:

Ingram, for all his issues, can get to the basket whenever he wants, and he's been hitting that short/midrange lately. Lonzo will never be a great shooter, but I like how he pushes the ball and I like his defense. Kuzma can certainly be a 28ppg player in the near future, and Zu, once he gets stronger, will be a scoring and defensive force down low. And Hart is proving to be a solid all around player. Best of all, they are all young, they are cheap, and they are effective.

Why can't we keep our young core, add a significant piece during the off season, and enjoy our journey to greatness? Kobe Bryant once said the pleasure is in the journey. With our young core, I really believe we have the pieces. None of them are going to be great, but I think they can be really good as a unit. And with Lebron, and one more star player, they can be good enough to win it all.

And moreso, they are OURS. They are Lakers, and they want to be Lakers. And they all seem like they're good people, not lazy or troublesome.

If AD is destined to be a Laker, let it happen as a FA. Same for KL or whomever else wants to come.

But to completely blow up our young core for AD? I'm against it.

Last edited by troy on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I have no problem with us trading for him
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

So if we get him and he and Lebron win a chip then you'll still have a problem with it because of the manner in which we won it?
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

They probably should trade for him to be honest. Everyone keeps thinking about KL, KD, and Klay but I think the chance of us signing one of them is slim to none. You got a star player that is on the same level if not better than KL and KD so make it happen.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather we keep our young core and we add Kyrie in FA :3

Kyrie + Lebron + our young core will do a good job of screwing every other team in the league
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
So if we get him and he and Lebron win a chip then you'll still have a problem with it because of the manner in which we won it?

What makes you think adding AD will mean us winning a finals? Plenty of teams have 2 superstars on them and they haven't won anything. You honestly think Houston, the Spurs, Portland, Oklahoma, Boston, or Philidelphia are going to beat Golden State? All of those teams are established and have at least 2 Allstars playing for them. No finals. No rings.

Oklahoma had Russel and Durant for years...no rings. Clippers had all sorts of Allstars at one time...nothing.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

What guarantee is there that you'd be getting a Kyrie, Kawhi or KD or anyone else for that matter in FA?

If you can get stars in this league you do so, if you don't other teams will and you'll be left hanging like we were with PG this past summer.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a problem trading for him, I have a problem with the Lakers trading for him before 2019 free agency.
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:
What guarantee is there that you'd be getting a Kyrie, Kawhi or KD or anyone else for that matter in FA?

If you can get stars in this league you do so, if you don't other teams will and you'll be left hanging like we were with PG this past summer.

I feel like fans always do this. I remember these same discussions with PG13 and Kawhi. How about we just trade for a star player instead of hoping one will fall into our lap in FA. We got a 34yo star who's window is closing very soon...not the right time to be taking chances.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm not really that excited about it because I have a borderline irrational love for Lonzo and Kuz, but it makes sense. You win championships with stars, not with pretty good young players.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
PengShow wrote:

I feel like fans always do this. I remember these same discussions with PG13 and Kawhi. How about we just trade for a star player instead of hoping one will fall into our lap in FA. We got a 34yo star who's window is closing very soon...not the right time to be taking chances.

Lebron fell into the Lakers laps. Maginka are batting .500 in free agency. Why are we panicking?
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Beir32 wrote:

What makes you think adding AD will mean us winning a finals? Plenty of teams have 2 superstars on them and they haven't won anything. You honestly think Houston, the Spurs, Portland, Oklahoma, Boston, or Philidelphia are going to beat Golden State? All of those teams are established and have at least 2 Allstars playing for them. No finals. No rings.

Oklahoma had Russel and Durant for years...no rings. Clippers had all sorts of Allstars at one time...nothing.

What makes you think any of our young players are gonna be good enough to contribute to a winner?

"None of them are going to be great". You're arguing that getting a bona fide superstar for a few players that are never going to be great (your words) is a bad move. Respectfully disagree.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

I am not thrilled by the prospect of gutting the team to get Davis. But:

1. Lebron's age puts us on a timer. This has been a concern for me ever since we signed him. The Lebron timer may induce the front office to make some bad long term decisions because they need short term gains. But like it or not, the timer is here and it is ticking away.

2. It is hard to say no to a likely HoFer. Unless you're the Pistons, you don't win a title with a roster full of good players. You need at least a couple elite players. Even though I've warmed up to Ball and Kuzma this season, they do not project to become elite players, especially not before the timer goes off.

3. If we have Lebron and Davis, it's going to be a lot easier to lure Durant or Leonard this summer, and then to fill out the roster with ring chasers on budget contracts. This is what we need, given that ticking timer. I am not a fan of the free agent strategy, but we are committed to it at this point.

Having said all of that, I won't be crushed if the Pelicans flip us off. In fact, I think that this is precisely what will happen.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

This made me really think about it. I really like the young core and ideally they would be a part of our next championship. But, yes, Lebron is on a timeline and ultimately I don't have a problem trading the young core for AD.

But, can we at least keep Zublocka??

The big question, of course, is how would Maginka vote on this.
SuperNutZ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

So basically if some one were to trade you a already win Powerball Ticket for your 5 dollars scratcher. You wouldn't trade them ? Because you bought them and those scratcher might have a chance to win top prize?
Retired Number
Retired Number

You trade for Anthony Davis right now if you can. Anthony Davis will be the face of the franchise long after LeBron James retires.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

I would love to trade for AD but not at the expense of all of our young guys
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Shall we trade for AD?

He is clearly an upgrade but may not fit well with James and Lakers and are too costly.

Historically, James needed a scoring guard more than a scoring big, Wade over Bosh and Irving over Love. In fact, both Bosh and Love became marginal All Star after joining James. James needed defensive bigs than skilled big. Thus, AD may become less important after joining.

Between, what the Lakers need now are shooters than bigs. We’re deep at C and 4 and they’re serviceable. However, we’re obviously missing scoring guards especially sharp shooter. We can out-rebounded and out-assisted the opponents but not 3s. AD may not fit our needs.

It’s also too costly to give up our young core like Ball, Kuzma, Zubac etc. They’re all promising and cheap. Between, they’re working well with James. Do we have to give up deep, someone work well with James and promising young Lakers for AD?

We also have to give up salary space in coming summer to sign another superstar like Thompson, Irving etc. It looks like choice between: 1) acquire AD and give up young core vs 2) add another superstar and keep young core.

That why i’m not sold to acquire AD.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one that DOESN'T want to trade for Anthony Davis?

troy wrote:
I'm sure I'll get some negative responses, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I don't want my Lakers to trade for Anthony Davis.

How many of us on LG were angry with the Miami Heat for their manipulations in stacking up that team? How many of us were angry at Lebron James's arrogance? How many of us saw the Heat the villain team?

And now, how many of us are cheering for the exact same thing to happen for us? Hypocrites?

Look. I know our young players annoy the hell out of us. And I'm not so sure if they'll ever be what we need. But I do see things in them that are intriguing:

Ingram, for all his issues, can get to the basket whenever he wants, and he's been hitting that short/midrange lately. Lonzo will never be a great shooter, but I like how he pushes the ball and I like his defense. Kuzma can certainly be a 28ppg player in the near future, and Zu, once he gets stronger, will be a scoring and defensive force down low. And Hart is proving to be a solid all around player. Best of all, they are all young, they are cheap, and they are effective.

Why can't we keep our young core, add a significant piece during the off season, and enjoy our journey to greatness? Kobe Bryant once said the pleasure is in the journey. With our young core, I really believe we have the pieces. None of them are going to be great, but I think they can be really good as a unit. And with Lebron, and one more star player, they can be good enough to win it all.

And moreso, they are OURS. They are Lakers, and they want to be Lakers. And they all seem like they're good people, not lazy or troublesome.

If AD is destined to be a Laker, let it happen as a FA. Same for KL or whomever else wants to come.

But to completely blow up our young core for AD? I'm against it.

I don't care about any of this. I will only be upset if we do not improve our odds of winning a title, which I'm not entirely sure we will by acquiring AD. It all depends on what we give up and what we do with our cap space afterwards.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe so many are voting to trade all of the young core.

The poll clearly says the young core... are all of you answering yes, willing to trade all of them, including Zubac?

It's not, well I like Kuzma or I like Ball or I like BI... so we'll probably keep one of them.

It's trading everyone.

Again, trading some of them if no elite agent is coming makes sense... but if we can even get a second tier agent like Khris or Tobias and add it to the core it seems stronger than AD with LBJ and a Frankenstein crew that we signed this season.

Look at what we have now...

KCP 12 million
Rondo 9 million
Lance 4.5
Beasley 3.5

This already exhausts the cap space with AD and LBJ.

Sure we overpaid for KCP... maybe we can get Rondo for cheaper... but we probably underpaid for McGee and Tyson.

I just don't get trading the entire core plus picks.

Trading for part of the core if the front office knows they can't land anyone... makes sense I suppose

But if we can't land anyone... then why would our search for ringchasers be that much better?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject:

i'm also on the fence of trading for AD, but not for the same reasons as OP. this rhetorical statements about not letting an outsider come in and demand change to the "Laker way" is only that, rhetoric talking. NBA is a players' league, we're fortunate LeBron is on this team and he still has tremendous influence on player movements on and off the court. clinging on the homegrown youngsters are not the way to build a dynasty. you can struck gold like Golden State, but i doubt they'd be this dominant if they just have their home-grown players minus KD.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Nobody is ever going to win a championship again in this league if they don't have at least 2 unquestionably bonafide superstars. Maybe a few years back you could do this, but not anymore.

As good as our young kids are, we will be lucky if one of them turns into a superstar and honestly, I doubt any of them will. That being said, they will all be very good players in this league for years to come.

If we have a chance to land a superstar, then by all means, do whatever it takes. Once you have two superstars, the rest of our needed players will want to come here and play. If we can actually land a third, then we will be set for years to come, even if Lebron retires.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't want to gut this team, because I think Ingram and Lonzo are going to be studs. Kuzma is a great option to have off the bench, or just to play off of Lebron.

No one is beating the Warriors this year, but the Lakers could at least match up with their perimeter players well.

I think we should stand pat, and try to add through free agency like we originally wanted.

I'll support our team no matter what we do though.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Nobody is ever going to win a championship again in this league if they don't have at least 2 unquestionably bonafide superstars. Maybe a few years back you could do this, but not anymore.

As good as our young kids are, we will be lucky if one of them turns into a superstar and honestly, I doubt any of them will. That being said, they will all be very good players in this league for years to come.

If we have a chance to land a superstar, then by all means, do whatever it takes. Once you have two superstars, the rest of our needed players will want to come here and play. If we can actually land a third, then we will be set for years to come, even if Lebron retires.

You…I like you.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I think a lot of you forget how injury prone AD is. Not that Zo or Kuz are exactly AC Green but still.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: