Did the Lakers Punt Too Soon on Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PengShow wrote:
Good on him for making something out of his move to the Nets and I hope he gets his money in the summer.

Just stop making (bleep) up to further your views on him.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Jerry thought very high of Russell, and had a VERY high opinion of him back then, especially after Russell won the Jerry West Award.

And if you look hard enough you can find where people on twitter constantly talked about how high Jerry West was on Russell back then, but it wasn't just there.. it was discussed on Sportscenter.

He apparently had told Michael Eaves this, and they even talked about it on Sportscenter. That Jerry had told him that D'Angelo Russell was the best player in the draft and yes, a future 15-time all-star. That's not "made up" the Logo had a very high opinion of Russell and wasn't shy about it. And I'll take Michael Eaves for his word.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCRl1kPUAAACey9.jpg

And then AFTER the Lakers drafted Russell, Jerry West continued to rave about the kid

Quote:
Mike Waldner: Jerry West endorses L.A. Lakers top draft pick D’Angelo Russell

Asked about Russell when he was the speaker Friday at the South Bay Athletic Club’s 50th anniversary banquet, none other than Jerry West endorsed the Lakers decisions.

You know West, all-time NBA all-star as a guard with the Lakers, front office architect of six Lakers championship teams and now a “small” owner, member of the executive board and special consultant of the Warriors, the new champions of the NBA.

D’Angelo Russell?

“I think he’s terrific,” West said.

He said it without hesitation.

“He passes the ball like, oh my gosh,” West added.

Are we talking a Magic Johnson or a healthy Steve Nash here?

Looking at Russell, Nance and Anthony Brown, the Stanford forward selected No. 34 by the Lakers, West nodded to indicate his approval.

“I think they did incredibly well in the draft,” he said.

Okafor figures to score. But he has slow feet. He is not a great jumper. His offensive skill set does not translate to defense. And, groan, he was a 51 percent foul shooter at Duke.

“If they could get a good free agent (note he did not say they need a great free agent), I think they’d have a chance to make the playoffs,” West said of the Lakers

Then he returned to Russell.

“He’s a heck of a player,” West said. ”People are going to enjoy him.”

Satisfied? You should be.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2015/06/30/mike-waldner-jerry-west-endorses-la-lakers-top-draft-pick-dangelo-russell/

And Russell spoke about how Star struck he was by Jerry West and the time they spent when he came to LA to receive the Jerry West Award for best Guard in the Nation

Quote:
When D'Angelo Russell was in Los Angeles in April to accept the Jerry West Award as the nation's best college shooting guard, it was different.

"Honestly, I was star struck from Jerry West," Russell said when announcing his departure from Ohio State for the NBA days later. "I never once thought about, 'Hey, I could play here."

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2015/06/dangelo_russell_kobe_bryant_la.html

So whether you want to believe that Jerry actually told Michael Eaves those exact words is up to you. But the fact of the matter is one thing that is unmistakable is how high Jerry was on Russell. And he seems to have picked right.

For the record.. that Jerry West quote was even talked about HERE... so take a look

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Hi I've been a lurker for years and i had to join because I saw this segment as well and wanted to chime in. It was in fact Michael Eaves and Tim Legler, Michael Eaves made the comment, "I spent some time with Jerry West last week who told me this guy is the best player in the draft, he is a special player and will be a 15 time all star" to which Tim Leglers reply was "I wish you would have told me that before". I had to rewind it to make sure i heard right. I really like Okafor but if Jerry West is making these types of statements about Russell you have to wonder if he sees something similar to what he saw in Kobe when we traded for him.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=6327516#6327516

There you go. So to answer your first question, no, I ain't making [bleep] up

All good bro, you like Russell and he is playing well...stop while you are ahead.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject:

Best decision DLo ever made was throwing ben Simmons phone out the window. Good looking out. I can't believe they were on the same HS team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Best decision DLo ever made was throwing ben Simmons phone out the window. Good looking out. I can't believe they were on the same HS team.

D'Angelo Russell
Ben Simmons
Joel Embiid

If we'd passed on Russell they'd all be on Philly right now.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
epak wrote:

D'Angelo Russell
Ben Simmons
Joel Embiid

If we'd passed on Russell they'd all be on Philly right now.

Monte Verde 76ers
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

I have always wanted to keep Russell and Randle. As it has shown, we would have been a very good talented team. But Magic did it to save cap space for 2 max free agents. I will wait till the summer to evaluate these decisions. It could be a win-win situation for all parties if we get what we want.

My judgement towards Magic won’t be affected by AD’s trade. We could have signed LBJ and trade for AD with DLO and Randle on our team. His plan fails if we don’t sign 2 max free agents. Period.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
I have completely forgotten about DLo. I didn’t even know he has been playing good. I still say that was a good trade to give us two max slots which allowed us to sign LeBron and still money left to sign max player this offseason. Plus, we got Kuz out of it.
I wished it had worked out with Randle because I loved his work ethic and improved play.

I have too, that's the first I've heard that he made the East team. Seems like a Van Exel kinda thing. Came around maturity wise after being traded by his first team. Those trades happen, not the only time. GS traded Chris Webber(!) for not too much because he supposedly clashed w/ Nelson. I've never even gotten a good answer from GS fans as to any definite reasons for that deal.

Anyway, it wasn't just a trade to stick a knife in D'Lo. Some of the posters who love him and think it was a bad deal need to remind themselves of the state of the team left to this FO by the last one. They might not have even dealt Russell if they didn't have Deng and Mozgov's koncaks staring them in the face. Those were not normal times. I liken it to the economy Obama had staring him in the face in 09. Desperate times...

A couple of weeks ago Windy was on radio and said the Pels were dangling Randle and had no takers. He's not as great as his diehards think he is.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

If we land Davis then letting DLO and Randle go will be manageable. If we get a third star either by FA or development, then we are good. If we win a championship then we shouldn’t have to hear about DLO or Randle ever again, even though this topic will never die on LG. 😝
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
If we land Davis then letting DLO and Randle go will be manageable. If we get a third star either by FA or development, then we are good. If we win a championship then we shouldn’t have to hear about DLO or Randle ever again, even though this topic will never die on LG. 😝

Can only judge them by what we do with the 2nd max space or the $28mil post AD trade
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
I have always wanted to keep Russell and Randle. As it has shown, we would have been a very good talented team. But Magic did it to save cap space for 2 max free agents. I will wait till the summer to evaluate these decisions. It could be a win-win situation for all parties if we get what we want.

My judgement towards Magic won’t be affected by AD’s trade. We could have signed LBJ and trade for AD with DLO and Randle on our team. His plan fails if we don’t sign 2 max free agents. Period.

I think this sums it up pretty well.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

Although DLO's an All Star now.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dangelo-russell-rewarded-turning-nets-around-replacing-victor-oladipo-star-team-224650507.html
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

the DLO trade would have been a good trade IF PG13 signed here in the offseason. But since he didnt and we are basically punting our cap space again, the better move would have been keeping DLO for atleast one more year where his value would increase and the negative value of Mozgov's contract decreases. However I cant fault the FO too much on that because pretty much everyone was expecting that to happen.

as for Randle my only regret with him is that we didnt get something in return for him. We should have traded him for an expiring + draft pick at trade deadline last season. While he is definitely a good player Im not sold on his style of play. Even the Pelicans had rumblings of replacing him with a better fit before the whole AD demand came out.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

15 time all-star is a little ridiculous. How many guys have ever done that? I know this is #15 for LeBron. Kobe had 18. Kareem had 19. You need to have an extremely long career for that to even be possible.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Question is: If he were going to sign a second Free Agent this summer as opposed to last summer, then couldnt he have moved the Moz contract this year for cheaper?
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
D'lo squeaks into the eastern reserves team and all of a sudden our last 3 years were a waste. We are right around the corner for competing for a title, I would say we are in good shape. Congrats to D'lo and I hope he has a long and successful career.

DLo definitely deserved this nod. Logo prophecy is still good although I would not bet on it. It could not come a better time for him. He’s gonna get paid this summer. But motivational has a time limit. If he has that passion for the game, he could definitely keep it up.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Thank you Jim and Mitch for the idiotic Deng and mozgov deal
Still hunts us today
Deng still on book for 5 mil( hence we can’t offer full max)
mozgov-we has to attached DLO to create space for two max

DLo be the center piece of AD deal would trump any Boston offer
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
There are people in this thread that called Russell a bust in his rookie year. Now that he's an all-star at age 22, they still won't admit they were wrong. Pathetic.

Pretty much.

I'm not angry at the FO about the trade, although I would have liked to have kept DLO. I do hope the Lakers end up winning titles with the strategy they're taking.

But most of the LG DLO critics do come across as pathetic. He's not a bust, he's an All-Star, and he's a major reason Brooklyn is climbing out of the cellar. We drafted a good player, it's as simple as that.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Dominator wrote:
There are people in this thread that called Russell a bust in his rookie year. Now that he's an all-star at age 22, they still won't admit they were wrong. Pathetic.

Pretty much.

I'm not angry at the FO about the trade, although I would have liked to have kept DLO. I do hope the Lakers end up winning titles with the strategy they're taking.

But most of the LG DLO critics do come across as pathetic. He's not a bust, he's an All-Star, and he's a major reason Brooklyn is climbing out of the cellar. We drafted a good player, it's as simple as that.

I was hard on DLO and his RPM has him as the 16th best PG in the league. He had a great month at the right time, was helped by an injury to dipo and is in the easier conference. Not to disparage what he’s done, he has done better then I thought and I was wrong, but let’s be honest, this may be his only all star appearance.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
the DLO trade would have been a good trade IF PG13 signed here in the offseason. But since he didnt and we are basically punting our cap space again, the better move would have been keeping DLO for atleast one more year where his value would increase and the negative value of Mozgov's contract decreases. However I cant fault the FO too much on that because pretty much everyone was expecting that to happen.

What I can fault the FO is not realizing DLO's value as a client.

Even if the Lakers didn't believe in DLO improving his value or Mozgov's contract decrease (which is stupid in it's own right but that's another thing), they should have kept him for the same reason they signed KCP: AS A FAVOR FOR THE AGENT.

Look how influential RP is on the AD situation currently. Why couldn't the Lakers realize this importance with DLO and Randle since they all share the same agent as PG13? It's not suprising the lakers didn't get a meeting with PG13 since they treated Mintz's other clients like crap.

If the lakers didn't trade DLO and prioritized him along with Randle, then maybe we get a meeting with PG13 and a verbal commitment. We could have easily cleared cap by shipping ingram/zo/kuzma with either moz/deng in the same offseason and likely have PG13/Bron + youth.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

I was a huge dlo fan. reality is Olidipo isnt making all star out west. And with all of our injuries we have same record as nets.

Still puzzled why we let jr walk but whatevs.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

What I can fault the FO is not realizing DLO's value as a client.

Even if the Lakers didn't believe in DLO improving his value or Mozgov's contract decrease (which is stupid in it's own right but that's another thing), they should have kept him for the same reason they signed KCP: AS A FAVOR FOR THE AGENT.

Look how influential RP is on the AD situation currently. Why couldn't the Lakers realize this importance with DLO and Randle since they all share the same agent as PG13? It's not suprising the lakers didn't get a meeting with PG13 since they treated Mintz's other clients like crap.

If the lakers didn't trade DLO and prioritized him along with Randle, then maybe we get a meeting with PG13 and a verbal commitment. We could have easily cleared cap by shipping ingram/zo/kuzma with either moz/deng in the same offseason and likely have PG13/Bron + youth.

In this scenario, I think we probably would have got PG13 instead of LeBron, traded for AD, and kept some of the young core.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

loseyourname wrote:
15 time all-star is a little ridiculous. How many guys have ever done that? I know this is #15 for LeBron. Kobe had 18. Kareem had 19. You need to have an extremely long career for that to even be possible.

1 down... 14 more to go. Just kidding.

15 AS is ambitious, but the point is that Logo was very high on him.

Where do you guys rank DLO amongst guards around his age?
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Dominator wrote:

Pretty much.

I was hard on DLO and his RPM has him as the 16th best PG in the league. He had a great month at the right time, was helped by an injury to dipo and is in the easier conference. Not to disparage what he’s done, he has done better then I thought and I was wrong, but let’s be honest, this may be his only all star appearance.

Historically, the people who've made the all star team at around his age tend to make multiple appearances.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Dominator wrote:

Pretty much.

Historically, the people who've made the all star team at around his age tend to make multiple appearances.

This probably means he may have multiple all star appearances. Iirc it’s the coaches who helped select the alternate?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

I really wanted to see what a DLo-Zo backcourt duo could do before the Moz trade. Glad the kid's doing well in Brooklyn.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Dominator wrote:

Pretty much.

This probably means he may have multiple all star appearances. Iirc it’s the coaches who helped select the alternate?

The logic on this is backward. The reality is that all time great players are usually great right away and make all star teams. Getting selected early isn’t indicative of greatness, the greats are just selected early.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 8 of 27
Jump to: