Did the Lakers Punt Too Soon on Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
I'm really happy for DLo, I think he could have flourished here and really, really wanted to see what a Zo/DLo backcourt would have looked like.

It's sad that people have to stick to their narrative so hard that they bash him even when he made the all star team.

Seriously. Says a lot about them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania

Verified account

@ShamsCharania
Follow Follow @ShamsCharania
More
Brooklyn's D'Angelo Russell has been selected as Victor Oladipo's replacement as an East reserve in the NBA All-Star game, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @WatchStadium.

12:59 PM - 1 Feb 2019

Russell made the all-star team.

A big L for Magic and Pelinka on this one.

As a replacement... In the east... Which equals out to being a role player on a championship contender... Big whoop.
This is a terrible take. Not surprising.

At least he hates everyone consistently?

I don't really hate anybody. But I'm not going to pretend Russell was going to lead us to a ring, or that Ingram or Kuzma will do so now. I also see the clock on Lebrons body as a ticking time bomb.

So you've got nothing then...

I have an entire life outside of being a fan of the Lakers... What are you talking about?

Yes on a Lakers site we want to discuss your life outside of the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Day wrote:
I'm really happy for DLo, I think he could have flourished here and really, really wanted to see what a Zo/DLo backcourt would have looked like.

It's sad that people have to stick to their narrative so hard that they bash him even when he made the all star team.

Exactly, because they said he would never be an All Star. It can be the East, a replacement, but heck, he got it at the age of 22.

Never liked the trade, but what is done is done. I hope he does well in his career.

I doubt he accomplishes much more than this.

So age 22 is his peak?
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Craigh wrote:
I wish we could have kept all the youngsters, but the two bad contracts cost us. I can somewhat understand the DLo trade but was upset with letting Randle go and getting nothing in return, especially seeing what Pope signed for. I do not agree with letting a YOUNG asset go without any return. If you buy a new Corvette you just don't give the older one away. It still has value..

If I recall the lakers tried to trade Randle and couldn’t net even a 2nd rounder and an expiring contract for him. Y’all act like we didn’t try to get a return on him, nobody was interested. I think the best shot we had was a Randle for Noel trade straight up then Noel got hurt.

With DLO, despite his talent, I think the FO was done with his lack of work ethic and the Young incident sealed his fate.

Between the young core v1.0 of Randle, BI, DLO, Nance, Clarkson there isn’t a single player in there that will ever make an all star game, has anything approaching a complete game or has the desire to be great. That just my opinion. The ONLY young player we’ve had that I see has any hunger to be special is Kuzma.

Oops
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

There are people in this thread that called Russell a bust in his rookie year. Now that he's an all-star at age 22, they still won't admit they were wrong. Pathetic.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Craigh wrote:
I wish we could have kept all the youngsters, but the two bad contracts cost us. I can somewhat understand the DLo trade but was upset with letting Randle go and getting nothing in return, especially seeing what Pope signed for. I do not agree with letting a YOUNG asset go without any return. If you buy a new Corvette you just don't give the older one away. It still has value..

If I recall the lakers tried to trade Randle and couldn’t net even a 2nd rounder and an expiring contract for him. Y’all act like we didn’t try to get a return on him, nobody was interested. I think the best shot we had was a Randle for Noel trade straight up then Noel got hurt.

With DLO, despite his talent, I think the FO was done with his lack of work ethic and the Young incident sealed his fate.

Between the young core v1.0 of Randle, BI, DLO, Nance, Clarkson there isn’t a single player in there that will ever make an all star game, has anything approaching a complete game or has the desire to be great. That just my opinion. The ONLY young player we’ve had that I see has any hunger to be special is Kuzma.

Oops

Yup, I was wrong. Congrats to DLO, glad he’s turned things around.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Sucks seeing people trying to discredit his accomplishment on the basis of wanting to be "right". Good (bleep) DLO, you deserve this all-star.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Congrats to Russell, not a big L for the front office though.

He had a bad attitude while he was here, and a not so great work ethic. Coaches may have exacerbated things as well.

I think the trade worked out for everyone. It turned him into a professional.

How does a player, who is average athletically, make it to an All Star team with not so great work ethic
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Quote:
Shams Charania

Verified account

@ShamsCharania
Follow Follow @ShamsCharania
More
Brooklyn's D'Angelo Russell has been selected as Victor Oladipo's replacement as an East reserve in the NBA All-Star game, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @WatchStadium.

12:59 PM - 1 Feb 2019

Russell made the all-star team.

A big L for Magic and Pelinka on this one.

As a replacement... In the east... Which equals out to being a role player on a championship contender... Big whoop.
This is a terrible take. Not surprising.

At least he hates everyone consistently?

I don't really hate anybody. But I'm not going to pretend Russell was going to lead us to a ring, or that Ingram or Kuzma will do so now. I also see the clock on Lebrons body as a ticking time bomb.

So you've got nothing then...

I have an entire life outside of being a fan of the Lakers... What are you talking about?

?
rst08tierney
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

RUSS > ZO
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
DLO became an all-star before Devin Booker lol

Let's be honest, if Booker was in the East, he'd have been an All-Star already. Too much competition in the West for Booker to make it in the near future, unless the Suns magically become a strong playoff team. Even Dame was snubbed for years, and that's when he was consistently leading the Blazers to the playoffs. And I loathe Booker, but that's just the truth of the talent disparity (especially at guard) between the East and West.

The West is so deep with guards. The DLO trade hurts, but the pain will be less if Magic had drafted Fox instead.

How loaded with assets would we have been if we had DLO and Fox now.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Dominator wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Craigh wrote:

Oops

Yup, I was wrong. Congrats to DLO, glad he’s turned things around.

foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

rst08tierney wrote:
RUSS > ZO

Still early for Zo too
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I have completely forgotten about DLo. I didn’t even know he has been playing good. I still say that was a good trade to give us two max slots which allowed us to sign LeBron and still money left to sign max player this offseason. Plus, we got Kuz out of it.
I wished it had worked out with Randle because I loved his work ethic and improved play.
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Trading dlo and dropping randle got us LeBron. I think I can live with that
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject:

The east is so devoid of any real stars. It doesn't make anyone a hater for stating that fact.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

crucifixion wrote:
Trading dlo and dropping randle got us LeBron. I think I can live with that

We'd have been able to keep both and had the space to sign LeBron.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Back during and before his draft, Jerry West had apparently said that there was one person in that draft that he saw as a 15 time all-star and the best player in it with star potential.

That player was D'Angelo Russell. Despite at that time people assuming that Okafor was a "shoe-in" for the Lakers at number 2.

Now at 22 D'Angelo Russell is in his 1st all-star game one season after KAT made his first, and single handedly leading the Nets into the position they're in. One season after Magic and Shaw couldn't shut up about how 'not a leader' he was.

Says a lot about them, and says a lot about him.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Back during and before his draft, Jerry West had apparently said that there was one person in that draft that he saw as a 15 time all-star and the best player in it with star potential.

That player was D'Angelo Russell. Despite at that time people assuming that Okafor was a "shoe-in" for the Lakers at number 2.

Now at 22 D'Angelo Russell is in his 1st all-star game one season after KAT made his first, and single handedly leading the Nets into the position they're in. One season after Magic and Shaw couldn't shut up about how 'not a leader' he was.

You making (bleep) up or what?

Show some actual quotes or reporting that Jerry West said he saw 15 all-stars in him.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:
MJST wrote:

Show some actual quotes or reporting that Jerry West said he saw 15 all-stars in him.

Lol, let him have his moment.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

https://i.redd.it/le5hg9caj1e21.jpg

guess who liked this? The guy who said that Russell was a very hard worker, before Byron started trying to tell people he wasn't. And now that same Byron is on the radio trying to take credit and saying he "always believed" Russell had this greatness in him.

PengShow wrote:

Was something talked about way back during 2015 draft on a forum I was at before I came here. But if you want to go dig into the archives of 2015 LakerNation to find it, I won't stop you.

Point is. Jerry West was high on the kid and that seems to be well founded at this point.

Last edited by MJST on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Good on him for making something out of his move to the Nets and I hope he gets his money in the summer.

Just stop making (bleep) up to further your views on him.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:
Good on him for making something out of his move to the Nets and I hope he gets his money in the summer.

You could say the same thing to all the ridiculous people that called him a bust and still won't admit they were wrong.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

PengShow wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Jerry thought very high of Russell, and had a VERY high opinion of him back then, especially after Russell won the Jerry West Award.

And if you look hard enough you can find where people on twitter constantly talked about how high Jerry West was on Russell back then, but it wasn't just there.. it was discussed on Sportscenter.

He apparently had told Michael Eaves this, and they even talked about it on Sportscenter. That Jerry had told him that D'Angelo Russell was the best player in the draft and yes, a future 15-time all-star. That's not "made up" the Logo had a very high opinion of Russell and wasn't shy about it. And I'll take Michael Eaves for his word.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCRl1kPUAAACey9.jpg

And then AFTER the Lakers drafted Russell, Jerry West continued to rave about the kid

Quote:
Mike Waldner: Jerry West endorses L.A. Lakers top draft pick D’Angelo Russell

Asked about Russell when he was the speaker Friday at the South Bay Athletic Club’s 50th anniversary banquet, none other than Jerry West endorsed the Lakers decisions.

You know West, all-time NBA all-star as a guard with the Lakers, front office architect of six Lakers championship teams and now a “small” owner, member of the executive board and special consultant of the Warriors, the new champions of the NBA.

D’Angelo Russell?

“I think he’s terrific,” West said.

He said it without hesitation.

“He passes the ball like, oh my gosh,” West added.

Are we talking a Magic Johnson or a healthy Steve Nash here?

Looking at Russell, Nance and Anthony Brown, the Stanford forward selected No. 34 by the Lakers, West nodded to indicate his approval.

“I think they did incredibly well in the draft,” he said.

Okafor figures to score. But he has slow feet. He is not a great jumper. His offensive skill set does not translate to defense. And, groan, he was a 51 percent foul shooter at Duke.

“If they could get a good free agent (note he did not say they need a great free agent), I think they’d have a chance to make the playoffs,” West said of the Lakers

Then he returned to Russell.

“He’s a heck of a player,” West said. ”People are going to enjoy him.”

Satisfied? You should be.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2015/06/30/mike-waldner-jerry-west-endorses-la-lakers-top-draft-pick-dangelo-russell/

And Russell spoke about how Star struck he was by Jerry West and the time they spent when he came to LA to receive the Jerry West Award for best Guard in the Nation

Quote:
When D'Angelo Russell was in Los Angeles in April to accept the Jerry West Award as the nation's best college shooting guard, it was different.

"Honestly, I was star struck from Jerry West," Russell said when announcing his departure from Ohio State for the NBA days later. "I never once thought about, 'Hey, I could play here."

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2015/06/dangelo_russell_kobe_bryant_la.html

So whether you want to believe that Jerry actually told Michael Eaves those exact words is up to you. But the fact of the matter is one thing that is unmistakable is how high Jerry was on Russell. And he seems to have picked right.

For the record.. that Jerry West quote was even talked about HERE... so take a look

Dwarf Nebula wrote:
Hi I've been a lurker for years and i had to join because I saw this segment as well and wanted to chime in. It was in fact Michael Eaves and Tim Legler, Michael Eaves made the comment, "I spent some time with Jerry West last week who told me this guy is the best player in the draft, he is a special player and will be a 15 time all star" to which Tim Leglers reply was "I wish you would have told me that before". I had to rewind it to make sure i heard right. I really like Okafor but if Jerry West is making these types of statements about Russell you have to wonder if he sees something similar to what he saw in Kobe when we traded for him.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=6327516#6327516

There you go. So to answer your first question, no, I ain't making [bleep] up

Last edited by MJST on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

D'lo squeaks into the eastern reserves team and all of a sudden our last 3 years were a waste. We are right around the corner for competing for a title, I would say we are in good shape. Congrats to D'lo and I hope he has a long and successful career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 7 of 27
Jump to: