Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Bill Murray? Sounds exciting
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

I scoffed at the reboot with Melissa McCarthy when it came out but I actually ended up enjoying it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I scoffed at the reboot with Melissa McCarthy when it came out but I actually ended up enjoying it.

One of the cast is mad that their version has been swept aside (in her view) by the director's comments about the sequel to #2. The script of that was a ball of poop rolling downhill, basically. None of the women in that wrote it, so they can at least disavow having that much part in it. Painfully unfunny. You're redoing a movie with 80s BroCon memories and feelings attached to it and you're gonna toss that script to an all-female cast? I don't think any of them are funny (tho some do, admittedly, different strokes...), but they got tossed a hand grenade. That movie would've been horrible w/ any equivalent male cast consisting of ex-SNLers, etc. Leslie Jones took the worst abuse on the BroWeb as you can imagine and she actually is pissed that Reitman and the BroFans seemed to negate their "contribution" to the series. I saw the sh thrown on her on Twitter and I'm surprised she wants to even remember that time at all.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

I disagree. It made horrible movies seem like a better choice
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

I didn't like it at all, and pretty much everyone that I know who saw it thinks the same. Yet the critics liked it and it has good ratings on sites like Rotten Tomatoes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

I didn't like it at all, and pretty much everyone that I know who saw it thinks the same. Yet the critics liked it and it has good ratings on sites like Rotten Tomatoes.

The shape of water won best picture, as did crash.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

You are most certainly correct. And utterly boring films like Ordinary People, The English Patient, and Gandhi did, too. Birdman won when I thought it was the worst of all of the Best Picture nominees that year, and that was a year where I actually watched all of the nominated films (a rarity). Other dubious wins since 1990 in reverse chronological order: The King's Speech, A Beautiful Mind (over the first Lord Of The Rings film), Shakespeare in Love, Forrest Gump (because it came over The Shawshank Redemption), and Dances With Wolves (though I liked it, it shouldn't have beaten Goodfellas).
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

You are most certainly correct. And utterly boring films like Ordinary People, The English Patient, and Gandhi did, too. Birdman won when I thought it was the worst of all of the Best Picture nominees that year, and that was a year where I actually watched all of the nominated films (a rarity). Other dubious wins since 1990 in reverse chronological order: The King's Speech, A Beautiful Mind (over the first Lord Of The Rings film), Shakespeare in Love, Forrest Gump (because it came over The Shawshank Redemption), and Dances With Wolves (though I liked it, it shouldn't have beaten Goodfellas).

Strong take on GoodFellas. Now THAT is where Marty should've finally gotten his statue and they blew it. And Wolves was a very good project if not another white guy clicks with natives/foreigners/other races film. I watched Ordinary People with intent maybe a couple years ago. I remember it was late at night while I had nothin better to do and I found it to be exactly the kind of movie that wins Oscars. It's a forerunner to American Beauty, fractured white family drama, etc. It made good use of Pachelbel's Canon, a beautiful tune. I thought it was very poignant at certain parts, but it is clearly a movie that will seem like torture unless the viewer either had depression or a family member with it, OR they experienced survivor's guilt in particular. It was one of the very first movies to use talk therapy scenes (now that's common post-Sopranos). Not a huge net that Ordinary People cast. Iirc, Timothy Hutton won an Oscar and Judd Hirsch was nominated. Hirsch and Mary Tyler Moore did a good job in that movie. Both had to have been trying to distance themselves from eternal connection to their TV roles.

Now, should it have beaten out Raging Bull? That's tough. I will defend OP more now than I did before ever seeing it. I was at one time just a fierce Marty jocker. Raging Bull is a classic and I think it could've easily replaced OP had they voted for it. I have a feeling those stodgy academy voters intentionally moved away from Marty because his movies were gritty and had a lot of meanness. If you watch the award segments on the YT site for the Oscars, Jake LaMotta is sitting in the audience. I'm sure they didn't wanna voite for the movie about that scum's life as GREAT as it was. Bull happens to be on TV as I write this, btw.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

^
I absolutely detested Ordinary People, even though I recognize that the acting was very good. Not only was it depressing as hell, but more than anything, it wasn't entertaining. When I watch a movie I want to be entertained, and when I say that, there are many ways in which one can be entertained. I don't mean that a film has to be a slapstick comedy, or a bang-em-up action flick, etc, in order for it to be entertaining. A drama can absolutely be entertaining or enthralling, even. But Ordinary People was just boring, dull, and, yes, depressing to watch. It's not a good watch, basically. I would rather watch My Cousin Vinny or Tango & Cash 100 times out of 100! (I found American Beauty to be quite watchable, by the way.)

Just because a film's subject matter is serious and the acting is good doesn't mean that it's a great film. On the other hand, there are several brilliant films in which the subject matter is lighthearted or whimsical, like Moonstruck or The Princess Bride or something.
SumminFunny
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Any word on the return of Vigo the Carpathian?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

I agree, I thought it was a decent enough movie. But admittedly I have no vested interest or emotional attachment to the original ghostbusters
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

SumminFunny wrote:
Any word on the return of Vigo the Carpathian?

Vigy, Vigy, Vigy. You have been a bad monkey!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I absolutely detested Ordinary People, even though I recognize that the acting was very good. Not only was it depressing as hell, but more than anything, it wasn't entertaining. When I watch a movie I want to be entertained, and when I say that, there are many ways in which one can be entertained. I don't mean that a film has to be a slapstick comedy, or a bang-em-up action flick, etc, in order for it to be entertaining. A drama can absolutely be entertaining or enthralling, even. But Ordinary People was just boring, dull, and, yes, depressing to watch. It's not a good watch, basically. I would rather watch My Cousin Vinny or Tango & Cash 100 times out of 100! (I found American Beauty to be quite watchable, by the way.)

Just because a film's subject matter is serious and the acting is good doesn't mean that it's a great film. On the other hand, there are several brilliant films in which the subject matter is lighthearted or whimsical, like Moonstruck or The Princess Bride or something.

Hollywood was still deep in its Redford worship during the early eighties, not to mention their hard-on for the actor-turned-director trope (almost as obnoxious as their love for Meryl Streep). No doubt Marty got shafted with Raging Bull. As he did with Taxi Driver and Goodfellas. Unmistakably his three best pictures, and three of the best pictures in American cinema.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: