Gilette ad
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Gilette ad

go
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

I don’t get why it’s offensive? It’s telling a positive message that men should not be violent misogynistic sex hounds.

And as far as the top comment in YouTube. It was Cenk Ungyer who denied the Armenia halocaust but since he changed his mind. Anna is Armenian. When cenk believed in that he was a hard republican.

As far as the dislikes? I think Those people want to be stuck in the 1920’s where women are just barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I don’t get why it’s offensive? It’s telling a positive message that men should not be raised as misogynistic sex hounds.

And as far as the top comment in YouTube. It was Cenk Ungyer who denied the Armenia halocaust but since he changed his mind. Anna is Armenian. When cenk believed in that he was a hard republican.

As far as the dislikes? I think Those people want to be stuck in the 1920’s where women are just barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen

Yeah it's not offensive, it's just a silly woke scold that we're seeing so much of these days.

It doesn't offend me, I found it more humorous than anything, but I can see why some people would be offended by this message because it is highlighting negative behavior and applying it to a group as a whole rather than promoting what the desired behavior is. There's also some real negative stereotyping going on which I'm personally not a fan of. Also, some of the behavior they are suggesting that is negative, isn't necessarily so. Saying the words "boys will be boys" isn't inherently wrong. In the video, the two brothers were wrestling. I'm not sure why a man would be a misogynist if he allows his kids to wrestle. Or is it misogynist one who says "boys will be boys" but it's actually ok to let them wrestle? Anyway...

That said, I understand the dilution strategy around their execution. They are appealing to the male masses here so it has to be done that way. In short, every man has to feel some semblance of misogyny because the path out can only be via a Gillette Mach 4 Turbo razor with replacement blades package.

This is a big risk for Gillette because they are finger-wagging at their target demo. You don't normally see this. The Nike Kap ad was different. Yes, equally controversial, but it wasn't finger-wagging at any particular race or group of people.

Man, I wish I were in some of those planning meetings just to see all of the discussions that went on to produce this. I'll be really interested to see whether this results in a sales increase of their razors and blades.

(BTW, your comment at the end there, it's a part of the reason people don't like this ad because that is the exact false choice mindset we have today. That is, you have two choices, agree with me or you are _________. So if someone says, yeaaahhh I don't know about this ad, well, they are a misogynist and there's no other way around it).
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
I don’t get why it’s offensive? It’s telling a positive message that men should not be violent misogynistic sex hounds.

It would be the equivalent of Victoria Secret putting out a "positive message" to all women urging them to not do something bad/negative. That would not be well received by women.

Maybe Gillette will do more of these. Maybe the'll have one urging all men to pay their child support, stop joining gangs, stop committing violent crimes, stop cheating on their wives, stop mass shootings, etc. Maybe a new one each month.

This ad sent to 100% of the men but applies to what, 1% of the men?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
999 wrote:

It would be the equivalent of Victoria Secret putting out a "positive message" to all women urging them to not do something bad/negative. That would not be well received by women.

Bingo.

What they did is highly unusual compared to the growing trend in woke marketing so I'm super interested in seeing the impact. My gut says it won't be good, but I don't know that we'll ever actually know how it truly performed.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

what's woke
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
what's woke

It started off as sort of ... an indication that you're aware to, and speak up about, the injustices and discrimination in our society.

But everyone wants to be woke now so it's become a bit of a fad/trend and any time that happens, the advertisers typically jump on board.

Not sure how many of you guys are in marketing but it is pretty hilarious to hear some of the strategy meetings that go on about how brands need to be woke now in order stay relevant. *sigh*
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I don’t get why it’s offensive?

It’s not, they just want you to talk about it. It’s right wing catnip more than anything. Their ad is getting news coverage now.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Because you're not one of those who the message hits too close to home to.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
999 wrote:

No, that isn't it.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
999 wrote:

White fragility. Or in this case, masculine fragility.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
999 wrote:

White fragility. Or in this case, masculine fragility.

It's people fragility. The need to be offended by something. It's pretty pathetic no?

Anyway, this ad wasn't offensive to me -- but it's pretty stupid. Flip the script and do this same type of ad to any other group and those outraged won't just be the people who engage in the stereotype.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

Maybe men SHOULD stop acting that way?

The ad is neither offensive nor stupid giving the current climate of things.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Just curious. Do you have any issues with the rhetoric around illegal immigrants engaging in criminal behavior?

Because I do -- but not because it hits too close to home for me.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Just curious. Do you have any issues with the rhetoric around illegal immigrants engaging in criminal behavior?

Yes I do and I know what picture you're trying to paint and its a little deceiving. While I don't have the stats on hand I believe I've read that illegal immigrants commit less crimes than American citizens. On the other hand I don't think that anyone would argue that a lot of men, even progressive ones have feelings towards women that would be considered retrograde. Just look at the people at the highest political positions in the country. Since when did a message about being a better person qualify as stupid or offensive?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Yes I do and I know what picture you're trying to paint and its a little deceiving. While I don't have the stats on hand I believe I've read that illegal immigrants commit less crimes than American citizens. On the other hand I don't think that anyone would argue that a lot of men, even progressive ones have feelings towards women that would be considered retrograde. Just look at the people at the highest political positions in the country. Since when did a message about being a better person qualify as stupid or offensive?

Ahh, so you're saying that it's ok if the data meets some arbitrary threshold?

So if I had data that showed that illegal immigrants commit the crime of kidnapping for instance, more often than citizens, THEN you'd be ok with ad featuring illegal immigrants kidnapping people and a message saying "immigrants stop kidnapping people"? That's ridiculous man.

This is the problem. You think this Gillette ad is showing a "positive message" It's not. It's shaming. Again, I found it funny, not offensive, but I can see why some among the sensitive masses in 2019 would find it offensive.

They are pitting a male parent who allows their child to wrestle with his brother on the same level as sexual assault. If you're a man that likes to BBQ, because we all know every man does, then you too are an example of toxic masculinity. It was a mistake to align innocuous things with the toxic things and lump them together IMO. Taking an extreme example, if you showed a man sexually assaulting a woman in violent fashion and said don't do this, I don't think you'd get the same reaction.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

What about the 99% of the men that DON'T act that way to begin with? Is the ad targeting them? Or just the 1% that acts that way?

Is this an ad for Bill Cosby? Harvey Weinstein? Kevin Spacey? If they didn't do what they did, would Gillette have made this ad?

Because they were sexual predators, now we all have to watch an ad lecturing us not to be sexual predators/perverts?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

You know what's kind of ironic about this whole thing too? It's funny.

I'm seeing some stuff out there, granted its Twitter, where the backlash to the ad backlash, is that the offended men need to man up.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

What about the 99% of the men that DON'T act that way to begin with? Is the ad targeting them? Or just the 1% that acts that way?

Is this an ad for Bill Cosby? Harvey Weinstein? Kevin Spacey? If they didn't do what they did, would Gillette have made this ad?

Because they were sexual predators, now we all have to watch an ad lecturing us not to be sexual predators/perverts?

There are a million shades of grey between being a sexual predator and a person who truly appreciates what women have had to endure over the course of history at the hands of men. Encouraging people to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior should be something we all strive for.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

There are a million shades of grey between being a sexual predator and a person who truly appreciates what women have had to endure over the course of history at the hands of men. Encouraging people to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior should be something we all strive for.

Sure, so why only men though? Why not raise awareness for men and women? Gillette didn't feel that women needed to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior? Women shouldn't strive for that either?

Women are good on that front? There's no positive message that could be sent to women as well? Only men need this positive encouragement?

And how come it's coming out now? Because of some negative stuff that SOME men did? So everytime SOME men do negative stuff, Gillette's going to send out a message to ALL men reminding them to not do the bad stuff that SOME men do?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Exactly. And it's not "aimed" at the sexual predators. It's purpose is to remind people that the societal attitudes that downplay the significance of the behavior ("boys will be boys" etc.) are an issue that needs to be left behind.

And if there is anyone who doesn't see that as still an issue has had their head bury deep in the sand (or elsewhere) the last couple of years.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Sure, so why only men though? Why not raise awareness for men and women? Gillette didn't feel that women needed to raise their level of self-awareness, empathy and improving their behavior? Women shouldn't strive for that either?

Women are good on that front? There's no positive message that could be sent to women as well? Only men need this positive encouragement?

And how come it's coming out now? Because of some negative stuff that some men did? So everytime some men do negative stuff, Gillette's going to send out a message to ALL men reminding them to not do the bad stuff that some men do?

Because this is a company that makes products for men.

What a silly argument you make. I want to believe it is a joke.

And why now? Why not now? For too long we have held the belief that whatever men do is OK. Look at the president's "lockerroom talk" defense. Or the treatment of women in general. People just accepted it before, but no longer do we want to live in a society that treats men and women in this fashion.

Why now? Why not 100000 years ago?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

And how come it's coming out now? Because of some negative stuff that some men did? So everytime some men do negative stuff, Gillette's going to send out a message to ALL men reminding them to not do the bad stuff that some men do?

Because this is a company that makes products for men.

What a silly argument you make. I want to believe it is a joke.

And why now? Why not now? For too long we have held the belief that whatever men do is OK. Look at the president's "lockerroom talk" defense. Or the treatment of women in general. People just accepted it before, but no longer do we want to live in a society that treats men and women in this fashion.

Why now? Why not 100000 years ago?

So Gillette doesn't make women products? Women don't shave their legs? Women don't buy Gillette products?

So I guess we should be expecting Victoria Secret to come out with some positive reinforcement messages for women as well right?

You know, teacher sexual predators.

And why is your argument directed towards MEN in general? Aren't the criminals the actual perpetrators? Why are all MEN now guilty?

I'm not a sexual predator. Is the ad directed towards me? Do I need this positive reinforcement? Who are the ads directed towards anyways? The ones who do these acts or the ones who don't? Or both?
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I dont know why anyone still buys Gillette razors or shavers. There's many better and cheaper alternatives out there. I haven't bought Gillette in yearssss
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Exactly. And it's not "aimed" at the sexual predators. It's purpose is to remind people that the societal attitudes that downplay the significance of the behavior ("boys will be boys" etc.) are an issue that needs to be left behind.

And if there is anyone who doesn't see that as still an issue has had their head bury deep in the sand (or elsewhere) the last couple of years.

Anyone who can't see the difference in "boys will be boys" referring to two boys wrestling versus committing rape is the one with their head in the sand.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: