Impossible Whopper/Beyond Meat/fake meats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Impossible Whopper/Beyond Meat/fake meats

Anyone try the impossible whopper or beyond meat yet? I'm curious about it, but I know it's highly processed and possibly carcinogenic but I'm trying to cut red meat out of my life.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Tried the Beyond Famous Star burger at Carl’s Jr. a while back when they were doing a free burger promo and thought it tasted similar to a regular Famous Star — no odd flavor or bizarre texture. It’s close enough that I probably wouldn’t mind eating another at some point.

Meat substitutes do involve a bit of processing as you had mentioned, it’s unknown what kind of long-term effect they’ll have on health. There had been some controversy about soy leghemoglobin or “heme” which apparently gives Impossible Burger’s meat its flavor; it’s made by adding soy protein to genetically engineered yeast. While the FDA recently approved the heme as safe to consume, some do not agree and point out that there haven’t been long-term studies to the warrant safety approval.

While I don’t plan on going meat-free for the foreseeable future, many friends and family have been cut out red meat without the new nationally-known gmo meat-free products. There are options out there and hope others here will share some of their insight.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I used to LOVE the Turkey tacos that Del taco served, tasted just about the same as beef (as I too eat very little red meat).

But in some brilliant marketing decision, someone decided to replace the Turkey meat with the impossible meat (or whatever they are marketing it as) and I made the mistake of ordering TWO, after barely gagging down the first one, the second one went right in the trash.

This also ruined me from ordering this meatless dog dribble from any other restaurant!

Chicken is still the best non-red meat option...!

Last edited by unleasHell on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Tried both the Beyond Star and the Impossible Burger...Probably liked the Beyond Star a little more, but they are similar. It tastes close to beef, but has this slight "organic" taste to it...I wouldn't have any problem telling either of these burgers from real meat. Also, the Impossible Whopper was $7 ($8 with cheese) - more expensive than the Beyond, and not worth it.

Very high sodium/carbs/calories for these "healthier" options, so I'm not sure just how healthy these actually are. It would probably be better to just enjoy real meat in moderation, and to add a large amount of vegetables to your diet.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject:

I made tacos and meatballs with the Beyond Beef plant-based ground, this past week. I added enough garlic and Worcestershire sauce to give it a "meaty" flavor. Both turned out pretty good and I will continue to make it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

White Castle - good
Burger King - not that good

that's all I've tried so far
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I've tried the Impossible burger but the ratio of meat to bread/lettuce/mayo on BK's Whopper was too small for me to really taste it.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

I haven't tried the impossible burger but the Beyond Tacos from Del Taco are really good.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I was raised a vegetarian and am familiar with fake meat going way back. The problem with the current stuff is that in the pursuit of flavor (particularly making it taste like the meat it is replacing), they are putting a lot of oils and salt and highly processed ingredients to the point where it’s not really that good for you. Better to replace meat with something more natural and healthy than it is to try and fake the meat.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject:

Anything that reduces beef's severely negative carbon footprint on the planet (which contributes to global warming) is probably a step in the right direction. I think these burgers are primarily aimed at meat eaters who would like an occasional alternative to beef. I think most vegetarians (including myself) prefer to eat a little healthier on a daily basis. I don't eat fast-food as a general rule and wouldn't go out of my way to order one of these unless there were no other menu options. Sometimes a veggie burger is "healthier" than whatever deep-fried, oily, carb and cheese loaded non-meat entree is being offered. But if it encourages meat eaters to consume a little less meat, then it's probably a win-win.

That said, I've tasted both Beyond and Impossible and they do remind me of real beef burgers. But I'd be surprised if I'd eat one more than once or twice a year.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

If you never try it, Chinese restaurant sometimes would have 'fake' meats (tofu based) as a dish and they're delicious (texture not like meat at all). In NYC, we have Buddha Bodai
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

It's impressively good. I was never a vegetarian and I won't be ordering it but if I had.to I wouldn't complain.

They nailed it in terms of texture for a burger.

Steak? Not a chance in hell.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I was raised a vegetarian and am familiar with fake meat going way back. The problem with the current stuff is that in the pursuit of flavor (particularly making it taste like the meat it is replacing), they are putting a lot of oils and salt and highly processed ingredients to the point where it’s not really that good for you. Better to replace meat with something more natural and healthy than it is to try and fake the meat.

Not to mention that fast food places are cooking the fake meat on the same flat top using the same spatula as the sizzling beef.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

These are aimed at meat eaters. Their success will depend on whether those same meat eaters are repeat customers and not just consuming them once to see what the hype is all about.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

I had the sofritas from Chipotle and they are good. I want to try to the meatless burgers that have been mentioned too.

I have been doing "meatless monday" and am trying to further cut down on meat (red meat is easy, but I eat chicken almost every day). I will let you guys know when I try some other things.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: