Any Interest in Nikola Vucevic?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Any Interest in Nikola Vucevic?

28 yo, 7.0 ft, 240lb Magic Center who is currently making $12mil/yr and is a FA after the season.

Had a 30pt 20rpg game against the Raptors recently

He is averaging 20.5 ppg and 12.1 rpg this season

Career averages: 15ppg & 10 rpg

With all (3) Lakers Centers (Zubac, Chandler, & McGee) also FA's next year, might be worth a look.

ALSO: Lakers should also look to put together a plan to get several guys like this if they cannot get a Kawhi, Durant type player...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Yes, just isn't as high on priority.

Frankly, we had Vucevic -ish in Brook, and didn't keep him.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Yep. Vuc is like Lopez on steroids, though. Oh, and he actually rebounds.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I would take him if we can't get Kawhi or Davis.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject:

I think Orlando Magic would be making a huge mistake by not trading Vucevic this coming trade deadline unless they plan to resign, which is doubtful since they just drafted Mo Bamba. Better to trade him now while his value is highest than let him walk in the summer.

However, my opinion is that Lakers should not give up assets this to acquire a player this year as they need to hoard assets for a potential Anthony Davis trade.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
I think Orlando Magic would be making a huge mistake by not trading Vucevic this coming trade deadline unless they plan to resign, which is doubtful since they just drafted Mo Bamba. Better to trade him now while his value is highest than let him walk in the summer.

However, my opinion is that Lakers should not give up assets this to acquire a player this year as they need to hoard assets for a potential Anthony Davis trade.

Talked about this a bit on other threads, but I agree that the Magic should move Vuc. They are too invested in Bamba and it doesn't make sense to turn around and give big money to Vuc. They should move him and get what they can. As well as he's played, they could possibly get a 1st for him, or a young prospect or two with potential.

Regarding AD specifically, I also wonder if the Pelicans would have interest in Vuc (and signing him with his Bird rights in tow), though I suppose they might just blow it up if they move Davis.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:

The Magic last made the playoffs in 2012 and are in the hunt so far this season. If I am an owner I prefer the excitement and attention, as well as the playoff revenue, over the Laker’s flotsam. Unless they want to include Ball or Ingram or Kuzma.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

The Magic last made the playoffs in 2012 and are in the hunt so far this season. If I am an owner I prefer the excitement and attention, as well as the playoff revenue, over the Laker’s flotsam. Unless they want to include Ball or Ingram or Kuzma.

Getting a 20 & 12 guy, Lakers are gonna have to give something up, and the Lakers don't want/need to carry 4 Centers, so how about:
Ingram
McGee OR Chandler
Beasley
A first round draft pick
And some cash to release Beasley if they so desire

And that would extend next summers expiring contracts to approx. $41.7mil, which would hopefully still leave enough money to make a run at the top FA's (Kawhi, Durant, Thompson)...

And for the dreamers out there (which includes me), a line-up of:
PG: Ball
SG: Kawhi
SF: LeBron
PF: Kuz
C: Vucevic

Would be ready to challenge for the title!
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

You have to give up Ball if you want to sign Kawhi. Vucevic caphold is around 19 million.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
You have to give up Ball if you want to sign Kawhi. Vucevic caphold is around 19 million.

Correct, the salary cap gymnastics of having Vuc would be roughly the same as if you trade for Kemba.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

So the decision is Orlando's to make if they want to make a playoff push and keep Vucevic to help that cause or capitalize on assets by trading Vucevic. Either way, I don't want the Lakers to give up assets in a trade for anyone this season. Lakers should trade KCP and other low value guys to get additional assets themselves.

LakerLogic wrote:

Lakers should have about $36 million in cap space to sign a free agent this season. Why do they have to trade Ball to sign Kawhi?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

^
That was under the assumption that you traded for Vuc and had his caphold on the books during free agency. It would be very similar to if we traded for Kemba and had his cap hold: basically, if you eliminated Ingram and Lonzo's salaries, you'd still have the Kawhi-level max available along with having the cap hold.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
That was under the assumption that you traded for Vuc and had his caphold on the books during free agency. It would be very similar to if we traded for Kemba and had his cap hold: basically, if you eliminated Ingram and Lonzo's salaries, you'd still have the Kawhi-level max available along with having the cap hold.
Got it, thanks for clarifying. I still wouldn't trade for either Vucevic or Kemba this year but would keep all of our assets for a potential Anthony Davis trade.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^
Got it, thanks for clarifying. I still wouldn't trade for either Vucevic or Kemba this year but would keep all of our assets for a potential Anthony Davis trade.

I can understand that logic. Although if we knew AD is available before this year's deadline, I would for sure be checking to see if the Pelicans somehow prefer someone like Vuc, or Beal, or Kemba as preferable to what we could currently offer them. The Spurs preferred the "let's get an All-Star, even a pricey one, instead of all young players" route, and maybe the Pels would, too. Though if they did prefer that, you'd think they'd want a good player with multiple years on their deal left, and that would mean someone like Beal, not Kemba/Vuc.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject:

The Magic have fallen to 2.5 games out of a playoff spot and are 3-7 in their last 10 games. In addition, their point differential of -4.3 is easily the worst of any team in the East that has any realistic hope of pushing for the playoffs. (It's even worse than Washington's, Wall-less Washington.)

If their slide continues, you'd have to think that they are going to be receptive to moving Vuc, if they already weren't before. I don't think we would have to give up an asset like Lonzo or Ingram for him, as he's an expiring player with just a few months left before hits free agency. Still, he's played so well that I do think a first round pick or a commensurate young player may be in order. So how about this?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8hnnsty

We save them nearly $5MM in the trade (prorated), and they get our recent first round pick in Wagner, plus a look at Zu for the rest of the year. I assume they would waive Lance and allow him to try to latch on to a playoff contender.

Actually, this one makes more sense and would suit the needs of a 3rd team better...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8793mgw

Orlando still gets Wagner here, but Charlotte could use Zubac in the wake of Zeller's injury. Orlando gets a look at Bacon for the rest of the year, and Orlando could also pick up one of the two 2019 2nd round picks that Charlotte owns (via OKC and Denver). Especially with Orlando essentially pulling the plug on this season, Charlotte would love that, as their chances of making the playoffs would go up, which MJ wants. Charlotte may even have interest in retaining Zubac beyond this season on a cheap cap hold, considering that they are likely to let Kaminsky walk (they have apparently been open to trading him) and considering that Biyombo has one more pricey year left. Given that the Magic have a lot of bigs, I'd imagine they'd rather pick up Bacon and a 2nd instead of just Zu. Oh, and remember that Mitch Kupchak drafted Zubac.

As for us, yeah, we'd lose Wagner, but I wonder if Maginka would still be satisfied with Bonga and Svi out of the draft, plus the potential that Vuc helps our chances this season AND becomes an option for next year with the cap hold.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

This season 3pts:

Brook: 102-273 .374

Klay: 109-306 .356
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

If the FO can't land one of Kawhi, AD, Kyrie, Klay or KD... I think the next best thing to do would be to sign Vucevic and a starting shooting guard (such as Brogdon, or whoever is the best 3&D shooting guard we can get for 12m. They need to be able to defend Klay/Kawhi/Harden type of players, which KCP can't do at all).

Lebron, Ball, Ingram, Kuz, Zu, Hart, Wagner, Svi, Bonga, Deng = 69.15m. Add Vucevic's 19.13m = 88.28m. Brogdon is an RFA, we offer 12m and if we get him = 100.28m. Sign McGee using the Room MLE of 4.67m, this is the 12th spot so removes all incomplete roster charges... which then leaves 8.72m to offer Rondo. If Lance is willing to sign for the Vet-Min, I'd also do that.

PG: Lonzo / Rondo / Bonga
SG: Brogdon / Hart / Svi
SF: Lebron / Ingram / Lance
PF: Kuzma / Wagner
CF: Vucevic / McGee / Zubac

I'd be well pleased with this squad TBH.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I was comparing the stats of Vucevic and Cousins - Cousins from last year pre-injury, and Vucevic this year - and V-Man actually looks pretty good. Cousins has been better over his career, but what he did pre-injury may not matter as much now. On a lot of key stats - 3PT%, Rebound %, TS%, DBPM - Vucevic measures out close to or a little better than DMC. Lower usage rate too, which I'm hoping means he would fare better playing with a high-usage player like Lebron.

Vucevic may cost more than DMC - either in $$ or years - because of Cousins' injury.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

(bleep) I have interest in Vucevic.

Max guys--KD, Kyrie, Kawhi, Klay, Kemba

Borderline Max guys--Butler, Vucevic

We better end up getting one of these gentlemen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
If the FO can't land one of Kawhi, AD, Kyrie, Klay or KD... I think the next best thing to do would be to sign Vucevic and a starting shooting guard (such as Brogdon, or whoever is the best 3&D shooting guard we can get for 12m. They need to be able to defend Klay/Kawhi/Harden type of players, which KCP can't do at all).

Lebron, Ball, Ingram, Kuz, Zu, Hart, Wagner, Svi, Bonga, Deng = 69.15m. Add Vucevic's 19.13m = 88.28m. Brogdon is an RFA, we offer 12m and if we get him = 100.28m. Sign McGee using the Room MLE of 4.67m, this is the 12th spot so removes all incomplete roster charges... which then leaves 8.72m to offer Rondo. If Lance is willing to sign for the Vet-Min, I'd also do that.

PG: Lonzo / Rondo / Bonga
SG: Brogdon / Hart / Svi
SF: Lebron / Ingram / Lance
PF: Kuzma / Wagner
CF: Vucevic / McGee / Zubac

I'd be well pleased with this squad TBH.

LBJ/Kuz/Vuc frontline defense...whoa...
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
(bleep) I have interest in Vucevic.

Max guys--KD, Kyrie, Kawhi, Klay, Kemba

Borderline Max guys--Butler, Vucevic

We better end up getting one of these gentlemen.

I differentiate it like this.

Value above Max (Superstar) - KD, Kawhi, possibly Kyrie. These are the guys that are probably worth more than the Max.

Max Value (Consistent All Star) - Klay, Kemba, Butler. Probably should be 90% of Max deal but market dictates they get the full Max.

Borderline All Star - Tobias Harris, Khris Middleton, Vucevic. Probably should be 80% of Max deal but market might dictate they get the full Max. Vucevic might fall a tier below at 70% because he plays C, which is losing its importance in modern NBA.

Like most sports, contracts are being split between max and minimums/exceptions. The middle class is going away.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:

Borderline All Star - Tobias Harris, Khris Middleton, Vucevic. Probably should be 80% of Max deal but market might dictate they get the full Max. Vucevic might fall a tier below at 70% because he plays C, which is losing its importance in modern NBA.
Like most sports, contracts are being split between max and minimums/exceptions. The middle class is going away.

I'd rather have TWO of these guys than one Superstar to pair with LeBron: Tobias Harris, Khris Middleton, Vucevic.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

I'd rather have TWO of these guys than one Superstar to pair with LeBron: Tobias Harris, Khris Middleton, Vucevic.
I'd like to have 2 of them as well in fairy tale world but Lakers can only get one, unless they take $15-$19m each
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

I like. Vic, h can shoot outside better than anyone on our roster and is a good rebounder. If we miss on the other big signings, I like him as a Kevin Love like player.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

If the Magic will do a S & T for Vucevic (For Zo, Hart and either Kuz or Ingram) I'd do it, they may take that over letting him walk..

Then I take the excess cap money and throw it at Kemba.

And the Lakers suddenly have a BIG 3!

PG: Kemba
SG: TBD
SF: LeBron
PF: Kuz or Ingram
C: Vucevic

That team would be ready to R & R...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: