Horrible NBA Refs Officiating
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Can’t complain about refs when you get your ass kicked. Maybe a close game is more justified, not a blowout.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Can’t complain about refs when you get your ass kicked. Maybe a close game is more justified, not a blowout.

Nobody is trying to say the refs threw the game and we would have won if they hadn't. We played like krap and I believe everyone complaining about the refs are owning that fact.

But that doesn't make those kinds of blown calls OK. IF those calls would have been made AGAINST Wall, they would STILL NOT be OK. Between that horrible call that screwed Ball and the horrible calls favoring Harden, we have been treated like complete Schit and it sucks, it sucks whenever the refs blow calls this badly. It's not good for the game.

The other thing going on here is that the league is simply trying too hard to condone the BS going in with Houston. It is complete BS and the fans need to start filing complaints to the league about it, over and over and over and over until they get it through their big fat heads that this is BS and bad for the game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Nothing new. Karl Malone even wrote about it in his book. When he came to the Lakers he just stopped getting the calls he was accustomed to getting. It was pretty obvious with Steve Nash's body language the same thing happened with him when he came here. And now watching leBron he is absolutely perplexed. They just don't call the Lakers the same. Always has been that way, always will be that way. Just like in 2001 when the refs stole game 5 from us against the kings.

The average number of free-throw attempts that Malone had in relation to his field-goal attempts was pretty consistent throughout most of his career. And it really was no different in Los Angeles than it was in Utah. So if this was malone's perception, the actual stats dont seem to support it

Yeah. His usage rate plummeted after coming here, understandably so. So of course he would get fewer free throws.

Bad officiating is rampant in all games. There’s no conspiracy at play here.

I'm not sure I would even call it bad officiating. I think the real answer is that when you have human beings refereeing an NBA game, they are simply going to miss a lot of calls because of angles, the speed of the game, etc.

I think two things are at work: (1) fans have unrealistic expectations for how accurate human beings can be refereeing NBA games. and (2) as always, fans of every team will perceive that they receive disproportionately bad treatment from the refs.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Nothing new. Karl Malone even wrote about it in his book. When he came to the Lakers he just stopped getting the calls he was accustomed to getting. It was pretty obvious with Steve Nash's body language the same thing happened with him when he came here. And now watching leBron he is absolutely perplexed. They just don't call the Lakers the same. Always has been that way, always will be that way. Just like in 2001 when the refs stole game 5 from us against the kings.

The average number of free-throw attempts that Malone had in relation to his field-goal attempts was pretty consistent throughout most of his career. And it really was no different in Los Angeles than it was in Utah. So if this was malone's perception, the actual stats dont seem to support it

Yeah. His usage rate plummeted after coming here, understandably so. So of course he would get fewer free throws.

Bad officiating is rampant in all games. There’s no conspiracy at play here.

I'm not sure I would even call it bad officiating. I think the real answer is that when you have human beings refereeing an NBA game, they are simply going to miss a lot of calls because of angles, the speed of the game, etc.

I think two things are at work: (1) fans have unrealistic expectations for how accurate human beings can be refereeing NBA games. and (2) as always, fans of every team will perceive that they receive disproportionately bad treatment from the refs.

Agree. And to clarify, by "bad officiating" what I meant primarily is "missed calls". They occur in virtually every game. And you're right, the reason fans of a team perceive that they receive a disproportionate percentage of these missed calls is because they watch a disproportionate percentage of games. They're generally watching their own team's games and then a few of the other teams games if any at all. I don't watch every game myself, but, I pay for League Pass because I play DFS, and so I watch a lot of other team's games and there are missed calls in every game.

I also notice that a lot of the time, when a ref realizes they missed a call, they'll give you the benefit of the doubt on a subsequent bang bang play. Those are never shown of course, only the original miss.

If we just go into games telling ourselves, there are going to be a couple of blown calls today, and just accept that there is going to be an element of human error at times, it's not as frustrating although, when they occur on critical moments of the game (i.e. end of a close game) that is particularly infuritating and understandably so.

I think a big mistake they made was whistling "touch" fouls. Problem is, there is "touch" on nearly every drive and so you either need to disqualify teams for every skin to skin contact, or, let some go and call others and that judgment leads to error.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

I think most people with a brain won't point to that one John Wall foul as the reason for the loss.

My issue is that it seemed so obvious. Wondering why https://twitter.com/OfficialNBARefs hasnt responded to it. I guess cuz the game wasn't close?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

The NBA really needs to have more repercussions for poor officiating. Or at least more transparency for bad reffing.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I think most people with a brain won't point to that one John Wall foul as the reason for the loss.

My issue is that it seemed so obvious. Wondering why https://twitter.com/OfficialNBARefs hasnt responded to it. I guess cuz the game wasn't close?

That twitter account should be used to acknowledge mistakes like that play, not to criticize fans for being uneducated. With that said, the NBA thrives off fan interaction.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I know it was a bad game by the whole team and so the incident arguably wouldn't really have made a big difference in the outcome (though I think we probably just lose aggression knowing the refs will never reward us the way they would James Harden), but I'm really surprised there hasn't been a bigger stink raised by Luke or the front office or even the players about this play. Zo could have gotten seriously hurt, no one would have argued if they called a flagrant on that. Something to force the refs to answer wtf that ref was thinking on that? At least acknowledge the huge mistake?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I click on the link that the OP provided and it was a tweet about the refs donating tennis shoes to needy kids?

This is the tweet he's referring to
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
The NBA really needs to have more repercussions for poor officiating. Or at least more transparency for bad reffing.

This is the main issue. On most plays in the NBA, a foul could be called; body contact is an unavoidable part of the game. Of course, if every single foul was called, the game would be unwatchable. So, the referees pick and choose which fouls to call. When referees get lazy and fall into a habit of calling fouls that favor certain players--when the exact same type of contact was not called a foul on another similar play--the game is no longer fair. Long-time watchers of the game consistently state that rookies don't get the calls that veterans and stars do. The bottom line is that the NBA needs to be more transparent--more like the NFL--in admitting when mistakes/inconsistencies are made by referees so that fans know that the league is trying to create a level playing field for all of its teams and players.

--Anonymous
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

This is the main issue. On most plays in the NBA, a foul could be called; body contact is an unavoidable part of the game. Of course, if every single foul was called, the game would be unwatchable. So, the referees pick and choose which fouls to call. When referees get lazy and fall into a habit of calling fouls that favor certain players--when the exact same type of contact was not called a foul on another similar play--the game is no longer fair. Long-time watchers of the game consistently state that rookies don't get the calls that veterans and stars do. The bottom line is that the NBA needs to be more transparent--more like the NFL--in admitting when mistakes/inconsistencies are made by referees so that fans know that the league is trying to create a level playing field for all of its teams and players.

So true.
1) Last minute of a quarter is different from the first 11.
2) Refs have to check who is the rook and who is a vet in 50/50 plays.
3) Home cooking is mostly the refs favoring the home team to keep butts in the seat.
4) Defenders don't get ticky tack fouls. Scorers get ft's if you say boogedy boo to them
5) Refs won't fix a bad call they know they made, but they will manufacture a makeup call later.
6) As a defender, if you jump on the perimeter, any contact is an automatic foul, but not if you don't jump. If your in the paint, not jumping is an automatic block, but if you jump, its called verticality and not a foul.

p.s. Since when is goaltending replay reviewable??? That one pissed me off.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

So true.
1) Last minute of a quarter is different from the first 11.
2) Refs have to check who is the rook and who is a vet in 50/50 plays.
3) Home cooking is mostly the refs favoring the home team to keep butts in the seat.
4) Defenders don't get ticky tack fouls. Scorers get ft's if you say boogedy boo to them
5) Refs won't fix a bad call they know they made, but they will manufacture a makeup call later.
6) As a defender, if you jump on the perimeter, any contact is an automatic foul, but not if you don't jump. If your in the paint, not jumping is an automatic block, but if you jump, its called verticality and not a foul.

p.s. Since when is goaltending replay reviewable??? That one pissed me off.

- the arbitrary nature of "over the back"
-3 second violation only gets called when the coach of the team on D starts yelling about it.
-opening tip violations: do you really have protractors and levels in your eyes to ascertain the ball was still "on its way up" clown?
-off arm hook only called half the time
-hanging on the rim when no player is near it
-etc etc etc.
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject:

James Harden's double step back was a thing of beauty!
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject:

It was during the playoffs of the Lakers first championship run with Phil, Kobe and Shaq that I concluded that great teams, championship-caliber teams, are able to win despite the officiating.

So bad officiating no longer upsets me as much as it once did.

I still don't like it.

But I've learned to tolerate it.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
It was during the playoffs of the Lakers first championship run with Phil, Kobe and Shaq that I concluded that great teams, championship-caliber teams, are able to win despite the officiating.

I still don't like it.

In the playoffs I believe this to be true. Champions have to overcome the poorly officiated games. Like it or not, it’s a part of the game. It’s why it’s pretty rare for a clear underdog to win a championship in recent history.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I still don't like it.

In the playoffs I believe this to be true. Champions have to overcome the poorly officiated games. Like it or not, it’s a part of the game. It’s why it’s pretty rare for a clear underdog to win a championship in recent history.

So if 2 truly equal teams meet in the championships, you're ok with the refs determining the champion? Just because the losing team is not clearly more talented than the other team they couldn't beat the other team AND the refs?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I still don't like it.

So if 2 truly equal teams meet in the championships, you're ok with the refs determining the champion? Just because the losing team is not clearly more talented than the other team they couldn't beat the other team AND the refs?

The refs don't determine the champion. There are going to be poor calls in every game. It's part of the game as the poster said. The calls are made by human beings, there will always be mistakes that are made.

The players need to play through it, and in spite of it, because you never know which way those poor calls will go. And over the course of a 7-game series, the better team will prevail either way.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
James Harden's double step back was a thing of beauty!

Dude gets away with everything
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I still don't like it.

The refs would not determine the champion, the players would.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I still don't like it.

Well I think the Mavs in 2006 may have something to say about that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

I don't think it's that simple. I think most refs are honest and are trying to do the best job they can. I don't think they purposely try to reward stars. However, refs are human beings,and they are aware of who the stars are, and they are affected by their reputations and the quality of their play just as fans are.

And the NBA has become more transparency. They tweet about bad calls and put out lists of end of game calls. But no matter what the NBA does, fans will never be satisfied with the officiating,

First, many calls are subjective and fans are partisans, so fans will always think their teams/players were treated worse than the opponent. Second, because refs are not machines, and they are watching a fast game from bad angles, they will always make a lot of mistakes. There will be no satisfactory solution to this problem until technology advances to a state that a lot of calls can be done with human beings, and even then fans will be dissatified
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

I still don't like it.

Come on. The "function" that determines who wins and loses games has in its domain the players (who score the baskets), the coaches (who develop the game plans), the fans (home teams have an advantage), the referees (who decide what they will and will not call), etc. The winner and loser of games are not solely determined by the players. If referees did not contribute to who won or lost then the NBA would pick random people off the street to do it. Most people believe that there are "better referees" and "worse referees." What does this mean? It means that referees can determine who wins and loses.

activeverb wrote:

I don't think it's that simple. I think most refs are honest and are trying to do the best job they can. I don't think they purposely try to reward stars. However, refs are human beings,and they are aware of who the stars are, and they are affected by their reputations and the quality of their play just as fans are.

And the NBA has become more transparency. They tweet about bad calls and put out lists of end of game calls. But no matter what the NBA does, fans will never be satisfied with the officiating,

First, many calls are subjective and fans are partisans, so fans will always think their teams/players were treated worse than the opponent. Second, because refs are not machines, and they are watching a fast game from bad angles, they will always make a lot of mistakes. There will be no satisfactory solution to this problem until technology advances to a state that a lot of calls can be done with human beings, and even then fans will be dissatified

Agreed. Fans are partisan. Referees are not perfect and make mistakes. Still, I think there is room for more transparency in how the NBA deals with referees who make bad calls in games.

--Anonymous
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:

Agreed. Fans are partisan. Referees are not perfect and make mistakes. Still, I think there is room for more transparency in how the NBA deals with referees who make bad calls in games.

I think the NBA can be more transparent about calls.

The NBA's interactions with referees is a different matter. The NBA can probably reveal disciplinary action against refs that break rules, but they probably can't reveal anything related to substandard performance of the refs.

The refs are represented by a union, and the NBA probably can't publically reveal performance reviews, anymore than a company could reveal your or my performance review. So I doubt we'll ever see, for example, stats on how many calls refs got right and wrong, even though the NBA has that data.
pokoy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

So the refs admitted they blew the Harden non-call

Nothing on the Wall murder of Lonzo though? C'mon refs, need to discuss that one especially after calling the fans uneducated with the Harden elbow into Lonzo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
So the refs admitted they blew the Harden non-call

Nothing on the Wall murder of Lonzo though? C'mon refs, need to discuss that one especially after calling the fans uneducated with the Harden elbow into Lonzo.

Quote:
Drew @DrewAbsher

“The offensive player jumps using two feet at an angle of 87 degrees. The defensive player attempts a block but instead body checks him three rows back. This, by definition, is not a foul since the offensive player never yelled ‘AND 1’. This is the correct call”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: