Magic hoping to hire a new coach in place of Luke Walton at some point
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
if Magic is truly a master he will release a statement supporting luke and calling this report crap notwithstanding the fact that he's ultimately the leak behind the report

Bonus points if he has created 400 fake accounts discussing it on twitter.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Props to epak:

He wants some of this, cmow!

"That's a (bleepin) horse(bleep) call!! (ARRGH)."

Riles stompin! Watch him. He should get a technical...

Unfort, I don't have it uploaded, but I got a great one where Pat was ejected by Mike Mathis in 2 straight Ts and had to walk the entire court to get to the exit and he stopped and yelled MF! and other delights at Mathis. Mathis was one of those bastards like Javie who took zero guff. http://www.phideltatheta.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Mike_Mathis.jpg

I remember that year like it was yesterday. Even though we had to go 7 against Dallas, as well as 7 in the finals, for some reason the 7 against the Jazz just felt like the toughest. Gave me white knuckles.

I think I have 80% of that entire playoffs, the wins mostly, and a few of losses. I re-watched all of that maybe 8-9 years ago and was transferring VHS etc. Dallas was NO Utah or Detroit. The Mavs were there as Magic's comedic foils in the games at The Forum, where LA won the series. That's THE one series where Magic made the most highlights IF NOT 87 vs Denver who sucked. Anyway, the Lakers had a huge problem with Utah. They were down 2-1 going into Utah for a must win and the game was tied all the way to the 4th where the Jazz finally had an offensive slump and LA pulled it off. They were in dire straights in the Jazz/Pistons series. If you are forced to sit there and watch the last 2 gms vs DET at home, you wouldn't understand how they won. It felt like the Pistons won even when they didn't. And the skyhook foul on Lamebeer. Pistons fans still gripe about it, but there WAS contact. It was cloaked by the angle that CBS kept showin, so F off Detroit. PS: I remember sitting there watching the 88 parade. It was on the last day of school where I went and I stayed home.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
In my opinion, if Luke is ousted, the only option is to do whatever it takes to get Coach K.

That being said, Luke is doin great right now.

Krzyzewski has been turning down lucrative offers from the NBA for 30 years, including huge salaries and ownership deals. I can't imagine why now, at age 71, he would sudddenly want to become an NBA coach.

It would have to be the most lucrative coaching contract in the NBA but it would be worth it.

I don't think the money would matter. He's already turned down NBA offers that would make him the highest paid coach in NBA history. He likes where he's at and doesn't want to coach in the NBA.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Every media claim about magic has been wrong so far.

Why is this 1 true?

That isn’t true.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

The irony is Luke would be first in the west right now if the front office started the season with a half decent backup center. Magic needs to slow his roll.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Bring back commander Scott...the best in the business

Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

If they were to change coaches, which I am opposed to as I think LW has done a good job. I would consider someone that is not a retread, someone who understands modern NBA and the modern players. Also someone who has learned from one of the best.

I would consider poaching Ettore Messina or Becky Hammon from the Spurs. Don't know if they are available or interested, but I think both would be interesting.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
The irony is Luke would be first in the west right now if the front office started the season with a half decent backup center. Magic needs to slow his roll.

+1
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

A game that gives Magic ammo, should easily beat Nets
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

Nahhh, I knew it would be a tough out. Last game of a road trip and BKN on a 5-game win streak.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

This would be the game to fire Luke.

3 seasons in and doesn't know when to properly take timeouts.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

These Lakers frustrate the hell out of me.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Can his ass now
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject:

Boldarblood wrote:
If they were to change coaches, which I am opposed to as I think LW has done a good job. I would consider someone that is not a retread, someone who understands modern NBA and the modern players. Also someone who has learned from one of the best.

I would consider poaching Ettore Messina or Becky Hammon from the Spurs. Don't know if they are available or interested, but I think both would be interesting.

We don't need interesting, particularly not with LBJ. We need clout.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject:

Yellow wrote:
Boldarblood wrote:

We don't need interesting, particularly not with LBJ. We need clout.

Thank you.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

Not any one game in particular. This team can lose to anybody in the league and that shouldn't be surprising by this point. The more things have changed with Brawn, the more they've stayed the same. Problem is more the pattern of bugaboos that are scarcely dealt with in a timely manner (see Brawn's insanity quote) and improved upon no matter how many times they show their ugly heads -- for multiple seasons, not just this one.

Unprepared team at start of 1st or 3rd quarters; bad 3 point shooting; bad FT shooting; offensive deadspots that span 4-5 mins and blow close gms open; pissing away leads so often the team needs to buy urinal cakes by the gross; Phil approach to calling timeouts while most other coaches call em on 6 point runs; not an innate X's n O's coach, a simple set-up play coming out of a TO being a sight to behold (alley oop to McGee). People bring up Riley, he had maybe 5-6 pet plays that would net 6-8 points most any game. We have alley oop to McGee...

Weird matchups against certain opposing players; lassiez-faire attitude vs refs' sh calls both in-game and after games (he already blew his postgame complaints after the Rondo fight); FO may have given him a bunch of bad shooters, but Luke still doesn't find the need for a shooting coach; Magic has to go light a fire under Luke's ass after a string of similar-looking Ls before Luke decides to tweek things. If not for that, how long would he have been on the same path?

Lukewarm Luke lacks innate ability of someone like Riles to inspire (doing things like hip hop audio practice have swung the pendulum from Byron Scott to the opposite pole). He's not an X's n O's type or an inspirational type and he chooses assistants that are vaguely similar to him. Shaw is another young coach and former teammate who bottomed out and would leave in a second if he got another HC offer. No veteran who wasn't a #1 guy, but a 2? Riley had his buddy Pfund in there, but he also had his Bertka, a master X n O guy. Phil was laid back, but he had his Cleamons/Bach to pull players to the side. Cleamons remained an assistant his entire coaching career. Phil had his guru on the other side.

Luke "searches" for lineups that seem to be at least somewhat intuitive even to some of the smarter LG fans (he was using Jonathan Williams early on until the FO waived him). Plays a run-n-gun style for a month and then extols team D and holding teams under 100 and within less than 10 gms the team goes back to letting opponents light them up. Has say in excruciatingly long recovery timelines for moderate injuries to 20-somethings.

Occasionally one thing goes away for awhile and then rears its ugly head again. Few problems are ever fully resolved. Just when you think they turn a corner, nope. They show the Jekyll/Hyde sides in 2 gm spans (see at POR/vs TOR, vs POR/at ORL, at CHAR/at DC). They aren't as good as their record considering the games they've already blown. There are 6 other teams with 13-14 losses right now. The position they're in is more tenuous than it appears, they need to go on a nice 7-1ish streak. Games against DC and BYK are more important when they precede @ GS / @ SAC during the holidays, especially. Brawn knows better than the kids that predate him on the team that the Lakers have played like skunk anal gland on Xmas since he was playing against them. They should've made hay the last two gms.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile with all the hype Brad Stevens gets and the talent on their roster... they lose to the Suns at home.
tyler2481
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

MAGIC SHOULD GET ON THE BENCH AND COACH BRON!’
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Meanwhile with all the hype Brad Stevens gets and the talent on their roster... they lose to the Suns at home.

Wariors lost to us too under Kerr.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: