Anyone a fan of 80's and 90's music of all kinds?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject:

Born In The USA:

I Love LA:

Born In East LA (a mix of both songs):

WHITTIER BOULEVAAARD! WE LOVE IT!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Speaking of 80's/90's music, I heard this song on the radio on my drive to Las Vegas over the weekend, a song I hadn't heard in years and years, and I remember really liking it when it was out: Damn Yankees' "High Enough", which ended up as a #3 hit. I had to just look them up, and I had no idea that the band featured Tommy Shaw of Styx, Ted Nugent, and Jack Blades of Night Ranger.

Yes, I remember when that song was omnipotent. Winter 91ish. That's the kind of song that was big at the time and just dropped off the face of the earth. I liked it, can't front. Everyone loves power ballads and they're lying if they say otherwise. I know it's sappy, but I'm a sap. Another song that has that phenomenon is Breakup Song by Greg Kihn (who also did [Our Love's In] Jeopardy) and another was Owner Of A Lonely Heart by Yes. Anyone listening to music/MTV back then knows how huge those tunes were circa 83-84. They're the kind of songs that are meant to be of their time I guess.

This song too:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
I also make no apologies for my love of the dick-cheese that littered the 80s like Roxette, non make-up KISS, Van Hagar, and the entire Top Gun OST.

Interesting. I don't assault anyone who prefers Hagar over Roth, but I'm kinda dyed in the wool w/ the original unit. While there are some songs under Hagar that I liked (mostly the very few dark ones), I grew up getting a heavy dose of VH, Ozzy, Crue from my older sibs who had either the LPs or cassettes and played MTV all day. I couldn't turn the channel until I got my own 13 inch set, which was a gift from gawd. Anyway, w/ VH I think their peak years matched those of Foreigner. I do understand how they couldn't last with Dave doing 80s sh in the very dour 90s (I loved so called grunge too).

They're playing now, but both Dave and Eddie melted so bad that there was a joke in Zombieland where Bill Murray said Eddie was a zombie (a joke based on pics of him looking like a witch). Gladly they were able to pull it together, but Mike Anthony was a bigger part of that band than either Dave or Eddie accepted. It ain't the same without his voice considering Dave's is shot to hell. Regardless, they were rowdy in the day. A lot of metal acts were fans of theirs that you wouldn't expect, such as Pantera. VH was a forerunner of the technical skill and speed that metal acts of today cling to.

It's a crying shame the lack of concert footage in their prime that exists and most of that was the band's own idea. Their music is in a ton of movies, but Howard Stern also said they asked for ridiculous royalties.

Golden years:

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject:

^
I liked "Owner Of A Lonely Heart." There are just so many random 80's songs that come on and make me happy. "Take On Me" by a-ha. Gregory Abbott's "Shake You Down." Spandau Ballet's "True." Toto's "Hold The Line" and many others by them. Thompson Twins' "Hold Me Now." The Alan Parsons Project with "Eye In The Sky." Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go For That", with its catchy intro that has been sampled so often thereafter. Crowded House with "Don't Dream It's Over." Anything from Anita Baker. Luther Vandross with "Never Too Much." "Make It Real" and "You Got It All" by The Jets. "Lovesong" from The Cure. "I Melt With You" by Modern English. OMD's "If You Leave." Anything from The Police. Billy Idol's "White Wedding." "Blue Monday" by New Order is a damn masterpiece. I really like Boz Scaggs, who had a couple of 80's ballads I like with "Heart Of Mine" and "Look What You've Done To Me." I could keep going, but I'll name one last one: Expose's "Seasons Change." There is something magical about that song.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I liked "Owner Of A Lonely Heart." There are just so many random 80's songs that come on and make me happy. "Take On Me" by a-ha. Gregory Abbott's "Shake You Down." Spandau Ballet's "True." Toto's "Hold The Line" and many others by them. Thompson Twins' "Hold Me Now." The Alan Parsons Project with "Eye In The Sky." Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go For That", with its catchy intro that has been sampled so often thereafter. Crowded House with "Don't Dream It's Over." Anything from Anita Baker. Luther Vandross with "Never Too Much." "Make It Real" and "You Got It All" by The Jets. "Lovesong" from The Cure. "I Melt With You" by Modern English. OMD's "If You Leave." Anything from The Police. Billy Idol's "White Wedding." "Blue Monday" by New Order is a damn masterpiece. I really like Boz Scaggs, who had a couple of 80's ballads I like with "Heart Of Mine" and "Look What You've Done To Me." I could keep going, but I'll name one last one: Expose's "Seasons Change." There is something magical about that song.

You like Songs From The Big Chair by Tears For Fears? Had a few big hits in 85. Shout, Head Over Heels, Everybody Wants To Rule The World. They were I guess an more Irishy band of the U2 type. Big Country couldn't hang after their first hit (In A Big Country). Lead singer committed suicide.

To me I Melt With You by Modern English is the pinnacle song from the New Wave scene. I actually decided that years ago. Liked the scene in Valley Girl where they were playing it as they drove around the city.

Another obvious one is Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds. A lot of teens today have watched the movie. It still appeals to the bratz.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

Didn't Starship also sing Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now? Classic!

nonplayer, sad to hear about Amanda Peterson. I wasn't aware. Hopefully she's in a better place hanging out with the Nerd Herd.

Was just tearing up to the Laverne and Shirley Theme, that me, my brothers and my Mom would watch together.

And taking it further to the 90's, with TGIF, and of course, switching between TNT and USA for WCW Nitro and WWF Raw.

Ah yes, the good old days, when the only real form of technological entertainment was your TV and remote control. Ya, we had computers with Numbers Munchers and Windows 3.1 and eventually the evolution that was Windows 95, but Internet was barely a thing (56k didn't come for my family until the early 2000's). We just sat in front of the TV as a family and watched, while gas prices were low, looking up to men like Carl Winslow, who was the quintessential 90's father, noble and a family man. I understand the world wasn't as great for other countries in that specific era as it was here in the states, but I can't help but feel as though everything changed here post 9/11.

Sad thing is, my brother was born on 9/11/79, and he has lived in New York since 2005. Pretty tough for him to celebrate his birthday up there every year.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

You like Songs From The Big Chair by Tears For Fears? Had a few big hits in 85. Shout, Head Over Heels, Everybody Wants To Rule The World. They were I guess an more Irishy band of the U2 type. Big Country couldn't hang after their first hit (In A Big Country). Lead singer committed suicide.

To me I Melt With You by Modern English is the pinnacle song from the New Wave scene. I actually decided that years ago. Liked the scene in Valley Girl where they were playing it as they drove around the city.

Another obvious one is Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds. A lot of teens today have watched the movie. It still appeals to the bratz.

I Melt With You was my older brothers favorite song! He would play it non stop and I instantly fell in love.

Don't you Forget About Me was first introduced to me by my 4th grade teacher of all people! It was a rainy day in class, and we watched it! We had to get parents permission, and it was apparently a big controversy, since most parents weren't aware of its R rating, and having kids watch it was a bit much. None the less, I'll never forget being shocked hearing the F word as a kid, among other things. It was truly the first time in my young life I had experienced anything like that. The shock factor was real for kids that age watching an R rated movie in class!
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Though my favorite decade was the 60's, followed by the 70's, 80's, then 90's, I did enjoy some of the 80's and 90's, thanks to KROQ. I would spend time in SoCal doing business and seeing my parents, and my radio was on KROQ constantly--as NorCal did not have a comparable station. Right now I've been getting reacquainted with the Brit band Talk Talk. I remember years back when my oldest was playing No Doubt's, It's My Life, when I reached into the rack and played her the proper version--except, as would be expected, she thought otherwise.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

KROQ was God sent in the 90's! For me, it was switching between KROQ and Power 106.

I was just thinking, can anyone imagine Married with Children, or specifically a character like Al Bundy, ever being accepted in modern America? Oh hell no, the masses would protest like never before.

See for me, it was just a more carefree time...when Punky Brewster wasn't chastised because an older bloke was raising a little girl. Again, that would be criticized beyond belief today....

Full House.....Laverne and Shirley...Different Strokes....Balky Bartakamous (sp) in Perfect Strangers...

Okay I'm going to stop before I break down
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
I've grown to appreciate

Peter Gabriel

Overshadowed by In Your Eyes and Sledgehammer, but one of his good'ns.

Sledgehammer is a jam.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

90s West Coast rap. The best.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
I also make no apologies for my love of the dick-cheese that littered the 80s like Roxette, non make-up KISS, Van Hagar, and the entire Top Gun OST.

Interesting. I don't assault anyone who prefers Hagar over Roth, but I'm kinda dyed in the wool w/ the original unit. While there are some songs under Hagar that I liked (mostly the very few dark ones), I grew up getting a heavy dose of VH, Ozzy, Crue from my older sibs who had either the LPs or cassettes and played MTV all day. I couldn't turn the channel until I got my own 13 inch set, which was a gift from gawd. Anyway, w/ VH I think their peak years matched those of Foreigner. I do understand how they couldn't last with Dave doing 80s sh in the very dour 90s (I loved so called grunge too).

They're playing now, but both Dave and Eddie melted so bad that there was a joke in Zombieland where Bill Murray said Eddie was a zombie (a joke based on pics of him looking like a witch). Gladly they were able to pull it together, but Mike Anthony was a bigger part of that band than either Dave or Eddie accepted. It ain't the same without his voice considering Dave's is shot to hell. Regardless, they were rowdy in the day. A lot of metal acts were fans of theirs that you wouldn't expect, such as Pantera. VH was a forerunner of the technical skill and speed that metal acts of today cling to.

It's a crying shame the lack of concert footage in their prime that exists and most of that was the band's own idea. Their music is in a ton of movies, but Howard Stern also said they asked for ridiculous royalties.

Golden years:

For the record, I like DLR era more than Sammy. After all, I'm a guitar player, and I swear by the first four records (my favorite being Fair Warning). I just don't buy the idea that VH somehow lost it with Sammy. They simply wrote more commercial tunes, and accommodated their music to the stylings of the 80s (more synth heavy, electro roto-toms, etc.). I dig alot of the sappy Van Hagar tunes like Summer Nights, Dreams and Why Can't This Be Love; they're honest feel-good tunes. They also seemed to have ditched the hide-yo-wives-n-cocktail-waitresses attitude of the Dave years for a more positive, uplifting, feel-good message, which signifies growth for better or worse. Yeah, the average amorphous internet doormat will complain that there isn't enough Eddie, or that Sammy isn't macho enough (i.e. not Dave). Which is funny bc if that's the case then just go back to the first couple of records, not to mention VH where headed in that same direction anyways with Dave (see: Jump). Another interesting tidbit for the Sammy haters is that he once fronted a small band called Montrose during the early 70s, which just so happened to be a massive influence on Van Halen, particularly Eddie. Sammy is actually the eldest of all the VH stable. I always thought it was cool that they hired one of their heroes to replace Dave. But Ok, I can go on and on about VH mythos. My point is I love VH and every incarnation of the band (even the Gary Cherone years.. OK maybe those not so much).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Yes, I was definitely a Tears For Fears fan. I had one of their cassette tapes back in the day lol.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Hell yes! Some Bone Thugs sprinkled in!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Yes, I was definitely a Tears For Fears fan. I had one of their cassette tapes back in the day lol.

Don't forget Squeeze!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Growing up in the 80s, I listened to a lot of hair metal bands. Motley Crue, Poison, Stryper, Quiet Riot, Dokken, and Ratt were my favorites.

I would occasionally throw in Metallica and Megadeth.

Also when I wasn't in the mood for metal music, I would listen to New Order, Depeche Mode, OMD, and Oingo Boingo.

In the 90s it was all Green Day and Offspring for me. I would like to add The Ramones to this list but they are from the 70s.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Growing up in the 80s, I listened to a lot of hair metal bands. Motley Crue, Poison, Stryper, Quiet Riot, Dokken, and Ratt were my favorites.

I would occasionally throw in Metallica and Megadeth.

Also when I wasn't in the mood for metal music, I would listen to New Order, Depeche Mode, OMD, and Oingo Boingo.

In the 90s it was all Green Day and Offspring for me. I would like to add The Ramones to this list but they are from the 70s.

Yes!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I feel like we are missing some key bands of the '80s like X, Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Replacements, Waterboys, Pixies, The Specials, Joy Division, Meat Puppets . . . Violent Femmes . . . anyone else here into any of those back in the day?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I feel like we are missing some key bands of the '80s like X, Minutemen, fIREHOSE, Replacements, Waterboys, Pixies, The Specials, Joy Division, Meat Puppets . . . Violent Femmes . . . anyone else here into any of those back in the day?

I can't say that I was, although Violent Femmes rings a bell. And yeah, I'm familiar with some of their work after a quick look-up, and I guess they were just one of those bands where I knew the name but couldn't associate their most famous songs to them. "Blister In the Sun" and "Add It Up" I am definitely familiar with, and I like both of those songs for sure.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

Speaking of 80s and 90s... Best 'crossover' songs by American artist in my recollection:

BonJovi:
Cama de Rosas -

Como Yo Nadie Te Ha Amado -

Moon Represent My Heart -

R.Kelly (2000s)
Burn It Up -
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I had the tapes, trust. Listened to that, 2 $hort, grunge and a sh-load of Sabbath from about 17-19. Used to blast Sabbath on commutes to school. I wasn't a fan of East Coast rap, Biggie, etc. I wonder if Dre n Snoop etc knew how mainstream they were gonna be. And F the filtered versions!

These are a couple of songs that I first learned of on VH1-Classic when it existed. I thought both were enjoyable as videos, but the Billy Joel song's lyrics are fundamental. He was spittin truths. Brian Setzer is a talented musician, but that was the only song I like from The Stray Cats' era. I appreciate though that they were one of a plethora of genres back then. People tend to sh on 80s music, but then when you hear them listening to a bunch of songs, you get, "Why don't they make music like this anymore?" There was something for everyone in those days and a ton of self-taught musicianship even though synthesizers gave bad imagery. Some synths were OK, imo. No Can Do and Sweet Dreams were more thoughtful than I Ran with the dude standing there with one finger on a single key for 10 secs.

aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

Was anyone's apparel or hair style influenced by the music you were listening to back in the 80s and 90s?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Was anyone's apparel or hair style influenced by the music you were listening to back in the 80s and 90s?

flat top
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

Ya, there was a time I wore buttoned up to the top flannels like Kid Frost and Eazy-e with Dickies pants or beyond baggy jeans from Millers Outpost, and eventually tried growing out my hair like Kurt Cobain.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Ya, there was a time I wore buttoned up to the top flannels like Kid Frost and Eazy-e with Dickies pants or beyond baggy jeans from Millers Outpost, and eventually tried growing out my hair like Kurt Cobain.

Millers Outpost. My favorite clothing store in the 80s.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: