Idris Elba reveals Michael Jordan declined his request to play him in film

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Idris Elba reveals Michael Jordan declined his request to play him in film

He might've made Jordan too likeable but random casting choice. If there's an MJ biopic they should get whoever they cast to play him in Winning Time they've been fairly good with their casting choices.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2363593/idris-elba-reveals-mj-declined-his-request-to-play-him-in-film

Quote:
Idris Elba reveals MJ declined his request to play him in film

Golden Globe-winning actor Idris Elba would love to play Michael Jordan in a biopic, but the NBA legend apparently isn't ready for a movie about his life.

On the latest episode of Complex's "Sneaker Shopping," Elba revealed that he once floated the idea to Jordan of portraying him in a movie. Jordan turned him down.

"I even said to him one time, 'I want to play you,'" Elba told host Joe La Puma. "He was like, 'Hm, I'm not ready yet.' That's what he said, 'I'm not ready yet.' ... I was dead serious.

He continued: "In my head, playing Jordan wouldn't be about playing the basketball player; it was about the businessman. He is a very astute businessman, really smart. And his work as a philanthropist is, like, unspoken, but people don't understand the work. He cares; he does a lot of work. So that's where I was hinting at. I wanna play Jordan - I'm doing that. He was like, 'Ah, I'm not ready for that story yet.'"

While it could be some time before a Jordan biopic comes to fruition, part of his story will be told in an upcoming movie about Nike's efforts to sign him to an endorsement deal. Jordan himself won't be depicted in the film and will instead be treated as an elusive figure in the story.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

That would be just as terrible a casting as having Michael Jordan play Stringer Bell.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

MJ has had an interesting life, but I don't think it would be a compelling dramatic movie. There just wouldn't be a core conflict strong enough to create a through line and dramatic arc. But that's true of most famous people.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJ has had an interesting life, but I don't think it would be a compelling dramatic movie. There just wouldn't be a core conflict strong enough to create a through line and dramatic arc. But that's true of most famous people.

I agree with this tbh

Kobe's life was rather dramatic in comparison and would make a good dramatic movie but I wouldn't want to see that either because it won't be nearly as compelling as watching it in RT.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

What are you talking about? MJ's life would make a great movie and they already made it--Space Jam. MJ saved our universe.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Since when is truth a requirement in movies? Just based on what I've seen in other sports movies, as long as they qualify it as "based" on a true story it seem they have artistic license to embellish as they see fit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: