ESPN Power Rankings: 12/17/18 - Lakers 8th
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: ESPN Power Rankings: 12/17/18 - Lakers 8th

NBA Power Rankings: Lakers, Nuggets climb in super-deep West

Quote:
9. Los Angeles Lakers
Record: 14-9

A team that couldn't guard anyone off the dribble the first few weeks of the season now clocks in at seventh in defensive efficiency -- and it isn't all Tyson Chandler. Though he's been the Lakers' best individual defender since signing with Los Angeles, the team has posted a stingy 103.6 points per 100 possession when he's off the court since Chandler's arrival, which would be good for third best in the NBA. -- Arnovitz

Last edited by 32 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

We're better than the Clippers, Nuggets, and Pistons. But the other teams above us, I understand.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

up 1 from last week...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ds8MWfPWoAI6wnM.jpg
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
We're better than the Clippers, Nuggets, and Pistons. But the other teams above us, I understand.

People will bring up the Nuggets blowing us out but the Ball Injury completely turned the momentum of that game cause we were only down 3 and probably could have hang with them all game long if Lonzo didn’t get hurt... I agree we are better then them, Harris seems injury prone and there guys are inconsistent.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I think we can be the fifth best team.

I fear Toronto, GSW (with Boogie), Denver (with Barton/IT/MPJ), Philly because of Embiid.

If Denver and GSW meet in the playoffs and knock one of each other out... we'd only have one real obstacle to make it to the finals.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

People will bring up the Nuggets blowing us out but the Ball Injury completely turned the momentum of that game cause we were only down 3 and probably could have hang with them all game long if Lonzo didn’t get hurt... I agree we are better then them, Harris seems injury prone and there guys are inconsistent.

I pray Denver is our 1st round matchup. They have nobody who can guard Lebron.
Sadly, Denver will probably miss the playoffs ... again. And we'll have a tougher 1st round matchup then them.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

I fear Toronto, GSW (with Boogie), Denver (with Barton/IT/MPJ), Philly because of Embiid.

If Denver and GSW meet in the playoffs and knock one of each other out... we'd only have one real obstacle to make it to the finals.

From what I have seen so far:

Agree on Toronto and GSW (full strength) being better than the current Lakers.

On paper, Philly seems better but I don’t know...watching them they seem overrated and more of a paper tiger.

The nuggets aren’t better imo, but they give the Lakers fits with their shooting. The Lakers tend to have trouble keeping up with their shooting and unlike the Blazers, the Nuggets have that stretch 5 all star caliber player that tends to destroy the Lakers.

Lakers can easily be top 3-5, but need more shooting and better FT % to be consistently in that group.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Sadly, Denver will probably miss the playoffs ... again. And we'll have a tougher 1st round matchup then them.
we have no one that can guard their big man. it goes both ways. we will have to hope he does something boneheaded and young(he does from time to time.)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Very very unlikely Denver misses the playoffs, Murray and Harris have vastly Improved and there gonna have Isiah Thomas and Will Barton coming back at some point, but I think we are better then them.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

On paper, Philly seems better but I don’t know...watching them they seem overrated and more of a paper tiger.

The nuggets aren’t better imo, but they give the Lakers fits with their shooting. The Lakers tend to have trouble keeping up with their shooting and unlike the Blazers, the Nuggets have that stretch 5 all star caliber player that tends to destroy the Lakers.

Lakers can easily be top 3-5, but need more shooting and better FT % to be consistently in that group.

Don't get me wrong... I see any of the Western teams giving us fits on a given day or series... also Boston and Milwaukee.

But those four teams are the ones I fear the most... I think the odds are in favor of us in a playoff series with the others.

Maybe the Pelicans might be an issue with a motivated Randle and the big man matchups. I'm hoping not, but I also fear them.

The reason I mention IT specifically is because he will also be motivated and we haven't been able to control Augustin or Barea too well. Adding Barton, IT, and MPJ if he's able to play... might be too much with the Denver altitude.

As you say... the stretch 5 is a nightmare for us. I'm glad we won't see Vucevic anymore... so Embiid, Davis, Ibaka, Jokic, even Brook... all worry me somewhat.

But we are 14-9 playing poorly. As you point out... our shooting is our Achilles heel... but if we improve... I can see us beating almost anyone.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

we have no one that can guard their big man. it goes both ways. we will have to hope he does something boneheaded and young(he does from time to time.)

His defense is atrocious. We'll expose it. Whether it's switching on the pick and roll. Or just plain old rim defense. Jokic lives up to his name.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Very very unlikely Denver misses the playoffs, Murray and Harris have vastly Improved and there gonna have Isiah Thomas and Will Barton coming back at some point, but I think we are better then them.

Thomas is a defensive liability. Can you imagine him and Jokic defending a pick and roll?
Malone better make sure Plumlee plays with Thomas.
Barton should help them though. Still don't think they make it.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Don't get me wrong... I see any of the Western teams giving us fits on a given day or series... also Boston and Milwaukee.

But those four teams are the ones I fear the most... I think the odds are in favor of us in a playoff series with the others.

Maybe the Pelicans might be an issue with a motivated Randle and the big man matchups. I'm hoping not, but I also fear them.

The reason I mention IT specifically is because he will also be motivated and we haven't been able to control Augustin or Barea too well. Adding Barton, IT, and MPJ if he's able to play... might be too much with the Denver altitude.

As you say... the stretch 5 is a nightmare for us. I'm glad we won't see Vucevic anymore... so Embiid, Davis, Ibaka, Jokic, even Brook... all worry me somewhat.

But we are 14-9 playing poorly. As you point out... our shooting is our Achilles heel... but if we improve... I can see us beating almost anyone.

All good points

I fear no one if we can get some (bleep) shooting. Imagine all the open lanes if the opponent had to respect a couple of reputable knockdown shooters. It’s amazing sometimes that the Lakers manage to score in the paint because man the spacing looks really ugly at times.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Chandler + Lonzo + slower pace
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers have a huge disadvantage in the playoffs with lack of game plan coaching. When you're playing the same team that many consecutive games they'll really expose your weaknesses.

However, should have Playoff LeBron and Playoff Rondo to balance that out somewhat. Maybe Playoff Rondo could be the defacto coach, if only.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Lakers have a huge disadvantage in the playoffs with lack of game plan coaching. When you're playing the same team that many consecutive games they'll really expose your weaknesses.

However, should have Playoff LeBron and Playoff Rondo to balance that out somewhat. Maybe Playoff Rondo could be the defacto coach, if only.

I'm definitely concerned about being out-coached. Grizz and OKC are probaby the only teams where we're not outmatched there. Fortunately we have not one, but two guys who are very good at calling out the other team's plays.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I don't like playing skilled big men who can shoot and post up. We saw what Vuc did and Jokic can replicate that over 7 games
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
kikanga wrote:

His defense is atrocious. We'll expose it. Whether it's switching on the pick and roll. Or just plain old rim defense. Jokic lives up to his name.

Jokic isn't nearly as bad defensively as his reputation suggests. There are plenty of bigs, including our own, who are going to have a tough time in the playoffs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
7. Los Angeles Lakers
Record: 16-10

LeBron James has never played on a team that ranked higher than 12th in pace -- but this season's Lakers clock in at 104 possessions per game, good for fifth overall. The Lakers tangled with the Spurs twice this past week in a pair of odd games in which the Lakers outscored the Spurs 43-31 in the fourth quarter to overtake the Spurs on Wednesday in Los Angeles, only to be outscored 44-21 in the fourth quarter at San Antonio two nights later in a blown loss. Subsequent frustrations were discharged on Memphis 24 hours later in a 23-point win at the Grindhouse. -- Arnovitz

LINK
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

We're better than the Pistons but other than that, pretty fair assessment.

I think it's also fine to ding us for the Nuggets blow out. Sure, we were without Lonzo for what half the game but they were without Harris, Barton, IT, for the entire game. And Harris is their Lonzo in terms of backcourt defense.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
7. Los Angeles Lakers

LeBron James has never played on a team that ranked higher than 12th in pace -- but this season's Lakers clock in at 104 possessions per game, good for fifth overall. The Lakers tangled with the Spurs twice this past week in a pair of odd games in which the Lakers outscored the Spurs 43-31 in the fourth quarter to overtake the Spurs on Wednesday in Los Angeles, only to be outscored 44-21 in the fourth quarter at San Antonio two nights later in a blown loss. Subsequent frustrations were discharged on Memphis 24 hours later in a 23-point win at the Grindhouse. -- Arnovitz

LINK

Celtics should not be ahead of the Lakers either. They have had a cupcake schedule in their “winning streak”.

Pelicans
Cavs
Wolves
Knicks
Bulls

And their schedule going forward continues being easy:

Pelicans
Wizards
Hawks
Pistons
Suns

Only after THAT does it actually get challenging:

Bucks
Hornets
76ers
Rockets
Grizzlies
Spurs
Wolves
Dallas

Man I would love to have that Celtics schedule.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

that Spur loss still stings though, could've been on a 6 game winning streak.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Not too shabby.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
7. Los Angeles Lakers

LINK

Celtics should not be ahead of the Lakers either. They have had a cupcake schedule in their “winning streak”.

Pelicans
Cavs
Wolves
Knicks
Bulls

And their schedule going forward continues being easy:

Pelicans
Wizards
Hawks
Pistons
Suns

Only after THAT does it actually get challenging:

Bucks
Hornets
76ers
Rockets
Grizzlies
Spurs
Wolves
Dallas

Man I would love to have that Celtics schedule.

Celtics will always have an easier road than we have. 8 of the last 9 power ranking is in the eastern conference. Way easier schedule. No gimmie games here in the west.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
7. Los Angeles Lakers

LINK

I think it's pretty accurate for us to be around the 5-9 best teams in the league
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: