Why are the Clippers more successful than us FOR THESE PAST 7 YEARS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Young players with a lot to prove are highly motivated.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Jerry freak'n West

No coincidence.

They were a joke before he arrived and he has set them up well for a run in the next couple of years.

It’s mostly Lou and Harrell right now, but they can easily land a Max FA or 2 and make a serious run next season.

It’s mainly Harris right now.

The most recent Blazers game, yes.

Before that, it was the Lou and Harrell show. Lou with his insane (regular season) shot making and Harrell outworking the opponent for rebounds, hustle plays and easy buckets.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Shai Gilgeous Alexander.

chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Shai Gilgeous Alexander.

Danilo Gallinari
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Shai Gilgeous Alexander.

Danilo Gallinari

Nah. Harris and Gallinari are doing what they always do. SGA is stealing PT from Beverley with positive net effect on the floor, and playing more minutes.

chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Shai Gilgeous Alexander.

Danilo Gallinari

Nah. Harris and Gallinari are doing what they always do. SGA is stealing PT from Beverley with positive net effect on the floor, and playing more minutes.

Except Gallo has been healthy (so far) and making big plays. That alone is a huge boost for them
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Fail troll thread is fail. INB4
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are the Clippers more successful than us?

troy wrote:
We haven't even come close to the success the Clippers have had in the past few years, but they had quality players then and we didn't.

But this year, we have our high drafted young core, all of them with NBA experience under their belt. We have the best player in the game in Lebron James. We have finals-proven vets on our roster. We have a legendary champion in the front office. And we have lots of money.

Yet, the Clippers constantly perform better than us. Why?

Because Doc isn't worried about his Job and Luke is.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Logo man. Everything he touches turns to gold. I still can’t believe we turned him away. That’s blasphemy. I knew the moment they didn’t we would eat (bleep) for it. Magic has done a good job, but make no mistake magic and palinka might have the charisma to lure the stars, but architecting a team, they don’t hold a candle to logo. Dude can see talent and how that talent fits together like no other.

Now I’m mad again that they turned him way.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Shai Gilgeous Alexander.

Agreed. Also, Montrezl Harrell.

And Doc should get credit for making Harris a #1 option on a winning team. Never expected that to be possible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Shai Gilgeous Alexander.

The kid can defend
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Jerry freak'n West

No coincidence.

They were a joke before he arrived and he has set them up well for a run in the next couple of years.

They had won over 50 games 5 years in a row. Last season--West's first, if I'm not mistaken--was the first time they missed the playoffs in that span. They're doing well so far this season, but there's a long way to go.

Clearing cap space isn't all that difficult. The hard part is filling it with something worthwhile, as Jim and Mitch found out time and time again. The Clippers haven't done anything significant at this point. We'll see how their next offseason goes.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I would say if Doc Rivers was our coach the Lakers would be 15-5 instead of 11-9
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Doc >>>>>>> Luke.

Beverley is a pittbull and has rubbed off on them. Our guys have their own agenda (Lebron included).
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
troy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
They have zero pressure on them. and I mean ZERO. even with CP, black and DJ. they still didnt have as much pressure as those 3 would have had if they were all in laker uniforms. we assume the worse when we think about the clippers. the lakers we assume the best. This is the #1 difference. you take away any and all pressure players/coaches/FO's usually perform a lot better because there is nothing making them over think it, over do it, or try to hard. they can go along and a nice slow steady pace and their fans wont care. not so for the lakers. There's a reason we went thru so many coaches in so little time. There's a reason our young guys have had trade bait on their back the entire time they were here from the moment they were drafted til now. not so with any clipper.

We want to win NOW. period. That means everyone, including the FO has to accelerate every process to push that agenda. the clippers do not and have never had to deal with that.

Right now, even though we know this team TODAY isnt championship caliber. fans on this very board are trying to find away to make us championship ready RIGHT NOW. no one is doing that when talking about the clippers. no one.

Now lets get into the nitty gritty. when you are not rushing to win it all. you can develop talent and a snails pace, you can also pick up Free agents that will help your team win games during the season(but probably not come playoff time.) and no one on your fanbase will care.

You can't do that as a laker. every FA signing you do is either for a super star or for a 1 year rental to save a spot for an addlt star. WHY not just put together a solid team? because the lakers FO / Ownership knows better than that. they know winning like no other franchise since the 80s. They know putting together just a solid team will only get you wins and a playoff spot to take that L come playoff time before you reach the WCF's.

Which one of you think the clippers are ready to be in the WCF's if all of the top teams are healthy? NO ONE does. no matter the clippers current record and the WC standings.

Anyone remember that hawks team from a few years back that balled out during the season and completely flamed out come playoff time? well that happens every season with one of these unknown teams. i think the clippers will be one of those teams barring injury to certain teams they may have to see come playoff time. this means, they are a solid team but nothing else. so that means to you laker fans, do you want to invest a lot of time and energy in a solid team that will never win anything? or would you rather try and push for a ring team? I think we can all agree on the later. and there in lies the problem when comparing the lakers to the clippers. its apples and cotton candy. not a comparison.

I have problems with this statement. Any "solid team" has potential to win it all. We haven't had a "solild team" here in Lakerland for years. I'm confused as to what your point is here.
I'll ask you again, did that hawks team from a few years back have potential to win it all? NO.

No one thought they were going to win anything. They figured they would give a good go at it and they couldnt even do that. I mean Toronto pre Kawhi. couldnt even scare the limping cavs. pathetic. there are a lot more of those types of teams in the playoffs than their are real legit contenders.

Do not be fooled by a record during the season. it has happened too many times. If you see a nice season record, but your eyes also tell you this team is the real thing. THEN and only then should you call them a contender. if you see that record and your eyes are saying I aint seeing it. then you know they are the hawks or the raptors come playoff time.

Now with all that said, we have 4 MAIN players we are not sure what they are or what they will become. this is actually holding us up.

BI???
Zo????
Kuz????
Hart????

those 4 guys have to pan out or get out. Now I'm not saying they have to pan out this season. I'm saying they may be late bloomers. are we willing to wait another 2 seasons? Probably not. then that means we will most likely part ways with a couple of these dudes If there are takers. if we are willing to wait. then we can hold on to them unless some crazy deal comes along that we have to take.

We dont have any top draft picks that were lights out scorers in college and then came to the nba and were even better lights out scorers. we didnt draft that. we drafted versatel long guys that could do pretty much any and everything. but we're not sure if they will be able to produce enough efficiently on offense to have that 2nd or 3rd main gun. i think BI will but I think its going to take him another season. I think IF zo gets two full summers without injuries. to work on his game and assuming he's not just working hard but working smart(on specific things he lacks today). he can become an extremely efficient scorer. but even then. he better not be our 2nd best scorer. thats not his job. that would probably go to BI. Kuz can score but is super inconsistent right now. and we already know the stories on his defense which is getting better but that takes a minute before you figure that out and the refs respect your(this is also key.)

here's the issue. if we give up on the kids now and flip them for older gold. we better win a ring very quickly or else our ring window closes as our new stars age out. and we wont have any youth to keep things going after they're gone. so it will be post kobe years again but without 3 to 5 rings to hold you over. thats the fear of getting rid of the youth before they pan out. the beauty of keeping the kids if they pan out properly. is that you pair them with current star/stars and you win rings. then as the stars age out they become the new stars. and you get filler guys to help them. wash, rinse, repeat. and you keep winning. but those are unknowns.

Clippers have made the playoffs 5/6 past seasons, a 83% post season success rate. They've been to the 2nd round of the playoffs 3/6 past seasons. That's a 50% rate of success making it into the Conf Semi finals. They pushed their opponent to a 7th game in 2015, and could have easily made it into the NBA Conf finals. Our Lakers have made the playoffs ONCE in the past 6 seasons, a 16% post season success rate and have not made it into the 2nd round at all (0% Semi Conf. finals success rate).

For the past 10 years, the Clippers have won more games than the Lakers, and have had more playoff apperances. And even with all of our talent, including Lebron, and the Clippers not having any big time players, THEY are still in first place, with a better record than us, while we are barely in the 7th spot.

Winning rings back in the day do absolutely nothing in regards to increasing our current chances of winning one in the near future.

And if we keep our slow developing young core and they do nothing in the era of Lebron James, where will that leave us? I have no more patience. I want to win now.
no expectations and the moment they got a little expectations after the league gifted them OUR GUY(#neverforget). They folded and choked over and over again. i dont want to hear about what the clippers have done so well. they have not done a thing well but be sorry for long enough to picks(blake) & DJ. while also having cp3 gifted to them.

i dont care about what they've done because with all that talent they couldnt finish the deal. not once did they even sniff the finals. not once. talk to me when they're in the finals. until then. i dont want to see another thread about the clippers on a lakers website.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

But i'll bite again.

as someone suggested. its the grown ups that are doing most of the scoring on the team.

You have two lock down defenders in beverly and avery. both vets.

Tobias harris is 26, he's a vet now. looking like a solid #3 on a ring team.

Galli- is money from 3pt range(that is not normal for him to be that money) and Galli is ...30 years old. another vet

averge is 28
beverly is 30
Lou williams doing what lou always does putting the ball in the basket, 32 years old.

a 25 year old in Harrel is doing well

i'm not mentiong alexander since he's only averaging 11 pts, and not doing much else on offense. he seems to have solid defense.

The lakers are

Bron,
Javale
kids kids and more kids
rondo has and now will miss quite a few games.

I guarantee you if your kids were vets, it would be a completely different story.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Lou Will
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Hey Donald . . . that you?

Clippers, schmippers! Sheesh! Lock this baby. Who cares about this non-achieving enterprise functioning a full 90 miles away from their spiritual home pretending that anyone in Los Angeles cares about their championshipless existence.

Rivalry can only exist with two winning franchises. If and when the Clippers when anything more than the exhausting jettison of the only Sterling they will probably ever see, you can bring this topic up . . . in the general section.

It has no place in the Laker's Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

A lot of it is LeBron's "save myself for the playoffs/ignore the coach" attitude having a trickle down effect on our team. Its one thing for him to have an extra gear, but our young guys don't even a first gear yet and now it's atrophying before it can even fully develop. They might make the playoffs, but they will not be ready for them.

Also can't help they've watched every young guy before them shipped out. And now each of them are all tied to AD rumors or whatever disgruntled star of the week for the next two seasons.

There is no culture or forward thinking in this organization beyond "cap space" and "we want to bring showtime back." And as shallow as those aspirations are, they don't even harmonize. The first star is singlehandedly dragging last year's fastest pace team to the league average (and that may not be the bottom). The way these guys go about building a team is headscratching to put it generously, and if it weren't for Tyson Chandler falling into our lap, I shudder to think what our record would be right now.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Also can't help they've watched every young guy before them shipped out. And now each of them are all tied to AD rumors or whatever disgruntled star of the week for the next two seasons.

There is no culture or forward thinking in this organization beyond "cap space" and "we want to bring showtime back." And as shallow as those aspirations are, they don't even harmonize. The first star is singlehandedly dragging last year's fastest pace team to the league average (and that may not be the bottom). The way these guys go about building a team is headscratching to put it generously, and if it weren't for Tyson Chandler falling into our lap, I shudder to think what our record would be right now.

The last 2 years, we shipped out or best player for cap space. Not much incentive to go all-in for this organization.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Can someone please delete this stupid thread. Clipps=zero chips. Thats enough.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Can someone please delete this stupid thread. Clipps=zero chips. Thats enough.

+1000
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:

It's a two-word answer, as several posters have already noted: Jerry West.

The guy knows how to put a basketball team together and he's proven it time and again. Jeanie and Magic apparently didn't want him around, and that's fine, that's their decision. They had the right to make that decision, and they did come away with LeBron James, without a doubt one of the all-time home runs in NBA free agency history. Rome wasn't built in a day and the likelihood is that neither the Lakers or the Clippers are going to win a title this season.

Going forward will be the tale, and Jerry is 80 years old. But it remains a damn shame that he was ever allowed to leave the Lakers in the first place, and when you look at what he did for the org for 40 years, that's a track record that's hard to imagine anyone ever topping. The fact is that he's had a hand in every championship the team has won in Los Angeles, including the trophies hoisted in the aughts by Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, the two guys West brought to L.A. in probably the greatest offseason any NBA exec has ever had.

Aeneas Hunter made some excellent points about the composition of our current roster. Having LeBron was the main and necessary player signing, but the current ownership and management likely have more hard work in front of them if the Lakers are to win a title going forward. That said, LeBron makes it interesting at worst while we try to get where we want to go.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject:

Top 10 in O
Top 10 in D
Top 10 in FG%
Top 10 in 3P%
Top 10 in FT% Lakers are 26th in that.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject:

The clipppes have what we had last year if we had let it all develop and focused more on continuity, but we traded it all away for instant gratification. Not that I’m complaining.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to: