Why are the Clippers more successful than us FOR THESE PAST 7 YEARS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Bol wrote:
Apparently you get a trophy now for going 14-6. Good deal.

I don’t think that’s the point. Seing the Clippers fail in epic fashion is so much fun.

It’s just that now they aren’t a joke anymore because West brings credibility combined with Ballmer’s deep pockets. The Lakers have competition now, this isn’t the joke clippers anymore, although I would love to see another epic fail. I just think they have staying power in the playoff chase.

Stars win in the playoffs so I don’t see them as a championship threat, but they are set up to possible land star(s) this summer.

It's going to take some time for people in Southern California to adjust to the idea that Donald Sterling is gone and that the Clippers are not regarded as a joke around the league any more. That's understandable. The question is whether potential free agents view the Clippers as a serious destination. We shall see.

It apparently is also quite the challenge for certain fans to realize that, in comparison to the Lakers, the Clippers have been the better team, have attracted better players, and have had better front office leadership for almost the past 10 years.

And yet are so far off from the Lakers in terms of popularity.

Honestly, I think they would do so much better if they were out of the Lakers shadow in Seattle.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
As a basketball ops guy Jerry West is no damn joke people.

Have you all heard the rumored story of him threatening to quit if the Warriors traded Thompson for Love? Apparently everyone else in the room was down to acquire Love except him, so he lost it.

Long-story short: They respected his opinion so much that they listened ... and hung four banners.

He’s the real deal. Not many executives would have the balls to tell their owner that your newly signed (to long-term deal) franchise player is not the one.

Gets rid of Blake and gets great return
They let DeAndre go
Even the CP3 trade netted them key contributors Lou, Harrell and Beverly.

Jerry West is a boss. Shame egos got in the way because now the clippers are reaping the benefits.

I am not sure what his role in the improvement but I would not be surprised that Jerry West has had some influences.

The picks and chemistry have been impressive. I am just not sure that Jerry West should get all of the credit.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
As a basketball ops guy Jerry West is no damn joke people.

Have you all heard the rumored story of him threatening to quit if the Warriors traded Thompson for Love? Apparently everyone else in the room was down to acquire Love except him, so he lost it.

Long-story short: They respected his opinion so much that they listened ... and hung four banners.

He’s the real deal. Not many executives would have the balls to tell their owner that your newly signed (to long-term deal) franchise player is not the one.

Gets rid of Blake and gets great return
They let DeAndre go
Even the CP3 trade netted them key contributors Lou, Harrell and Beverly.

Jerry West is a boss. Shame egos got in the way because now the clippers are reaping the benefits.

I am not sure what his role in the improvement but I would not be surprised that Jerry West has had some influences.

The picks and chemistry have been impressive. I am just not sure that Jerry West should get all of the credit.

Oh I don’t think all the credit goes to him. Lawrence Frank is respected and they also have a former OKC exec who I believe is also respected around the league. Doc is a pretty good coach when not distracted by having a front office duties.

I still give West the most credit because it’s not a coincidence they really overhauled roster and made smart moves when he joined the organization. His track record speaks for itself imo.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's going to take some time for people in Southern California to adjust to the idea that Donald Sterling is gone and that the Clippers are not regarded as a joke around the league any more. That's understandable. The question is whether potential free agents view the Clippers as a serious destination. We shall see.

It apparently is also quite the challenge for certain fans to realize that, in comparison to the Lakers, the Clippers have been the better team, have attracted better players, and have had better front office leadership for almost the past 7 years.

That's true, but then the Lakers have been at a low ebb for much of that time. It wasn't much of a challenge to be better than us. Looking to the future, I think that the break from the Donald Sterling malaise is a bigger deal than the fact that they had a winning team. If Sterling was still in control of the team, the Clippers would probably still be viewed with suspicion.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Let the Clippers have their moment. We all know how they will turn out in the end. Let them enjoy it while it lasts.

The Clippers being in first right now reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite movie.

"Even the sun shines on a dogs ass someday".
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Doc River & Jerry West>Luke Walton & Maginka
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

No doubt things would be different if Sterling was still owner. If Ballmer can build his Kronke-like arena/shops/restaurants near the Forum, the Clippers will probably take a step forward. If I’m the Lakers I demand that AEG upgrade Staples, it is 20 years old and behind in technology.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm not surprised at the assets that Clippers have. They got rid of two legit all-stars after all which to their credit is the right thing to do. You don't get equitable value for allstars but doesn't mean you can't get a nice return.

They essentially traded CP3 for

Harrell
Lou Will
Beverley
1st Pick used in trade for Gallo

and Blake for

Tobias
Bradley
SGA

That is pretty much their team.

Regarding drafting. SGA has been impressive draft pick recently. Robinson not doing much. Did they even have picks during the lob city days?

So it comes down to the Clips just having more than us to begin with plus better coaching. Would you guys rather have 3 #2 Picks or CP3 and Blake to build around or use in trades? Given the nature of the draft I would prefer the former.

Imagine if Golden State had to blow it up? They'd prolly be again contenders within 2 years with all the assets they would get.

Last edited by chantruong on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
la4win wrote:
Clippers are going fast to nowhere. If they can sign a top player, we can talk. They will come back to earth soon and be in position of irrelevant. Btw, when are they getting their own place? Need to kick them out.

Yeah, the Lakers don’t own Staples so they won’t be kicking anyone out.

They do own Staples figuratively, and that is why Ballmer wants out. He will try to get his own house because he knows they will always be the Lakers guests.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Because they have a head coach who commands respect. Not saying Doc is a good coach that deserves respect but every clipper player knows Docs gonna be there long term. Unlike our situation which Luke can be perceived as a lame duck coach.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
We are lucky, because when the Clippers roster was packed, they had Doc to bring them down. Most over hyped coach in the league. If they had a different coach, they may have put up a banner or two. They are now done. Who says they are more successful than us. Its how you end the race, not how you start. They will ALWAYS be our bastard step children.

They play defense so they already have the advantage. Even an unathletic vet like Galinari plays D. Lebron can’t be bothered to give effort on that end of the floor. If our players had their mindset maybe we would be in first place.

The question at the end of the race. Come playoff time, we will be more dangerous. Lets not forget the Doc factor. He will ultimately find a way to screw things up.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Jerry West.

The Lakers milked Pau past his prime, then allowed him to walk, and now Julius, while continuing to bank on a big name or 2 to save them and their not yet fully developed young talent.

is that what really happened?

or did the nba nixed a cp3 trade that sent gasol packing?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

I still trust a LBJ-led team in the playoffs over the Role-Players Galore Clips.

I think their depth helps in the regular season for sure.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
la4win wrote:
Clippers are going fast to nowhere. If they can sign a top player, we can talk. They will come back to earth soon and be in position of irrelevant. Btw, when are they getting their own place? Need to kick them out.

They do own Staples figuratively, and that is why Ballmer wants out. He will try to get his own house because he knows they will always be the Lakers guests.

AEG, which own Staples, has an interest in the Lakers. But the Lakers don't have any ownership of Staples. They are just one of several tenants there. However, they do have their choice of dates, and Bulma has never liked that the Clippers are third in date choices after the Lakers and Kings.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still trust a LBJ-led team in the playoffs over the Role-Players Galore Clips.

This! I also believe this years playoffs will be LJ's best. Luke has done a good job at keeping his minutes down. This will pay dividends come playoff time.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This! I also believe this years playoffs will be LJ's best. Luke has done a good job at keeping his minutes down. This will pay dividends come playoff time.

I like our chances in the playoffs. But I think we are in for a rough regular season. As long we get into the playoffs and Bron proves to still be the best player in the league we shouldn't really worry what the other teams.

I'm sure the talk of trades and coaching disorder don't help the team. But thats the reality of having the most polarizing player on the most polarizing team. Hell even last year, we were going no where and we got a ton of hate.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I like our chances in the playoffs. But I think we are in for a rough regular season. As long we get into the playoffs and Bron proves to still be the best player in the league we shouldn't really worry what the other teams.

I'm sure the talk of trades and coaching disorder don't help the team. But thats the reality of having the most polarizing player on the most polarizing team. Hell even last year, we were going no where and we got a ton of hate.

Yeah. I think the cloud that's hanging over the team is that we are obviously holding out for KD/max FAs next summer. So that means another major change coming, uncertainty for youngsters, etc.

I expect this team to give us heart palpitations as they get into the playoffs (not overwhelmingly but take like until the last 1-2 weeks) as well as the trade deadline coming and going. When LBJ is in the playoffs, there are very few teams that can matchup with him when you get 100% of him.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Clippers are off to a hot start, no way it last tho.

My 8 teams to make the playoffs (in no particular order)

Lakers
Warriors
Blazers
Thunder
Nuggets
Rockets
Grizzlies
Wolves
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
la4win wrote:

AEG, which own Staples, has an interest in the Lakers. But the Lakers don't have any ownership of Staples. They are just one of several tenants there. However, they do have their choice of dates, and Bulma has never liked that the Clippers are third in date choices after the Lakers and Kings.

Doesn’t the league set the schedule? Ballmer wants out because Staples is dated and he can build something like Kroenke is and make boat loads of money.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. I think the cloud that's hanging over the team is that we are obviously holding out for KD/max FAs next summer. So that means another major change coming, uncertainty for youngsters, etc.

I expect this team to give us heart palpitations as they get into the playoffs (not overwhelmingly but take like until the last 1-2 weeks) as well as the trade deadline coming and going. When LBJ is in the playoffs, there are very few teams that can matchup with him when you get 100% of him.

And those few teams have been from the West.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You mean the Warriors? I don't see any other team stopping him in the playoffs in the West.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You mean the Warriors? I don't see any other team stopping him in the playoffs in the West.

Maybe OKC if PG gets his head straight in the playoffs. GSW will simply overwhelm us with their talent even if they can't slow down Bron. Otherwise the teams that can really slow down Bron are in the east. Toronto with Kawhi, Bucks with Giannis, even Butler in Philly.

Last edited by chantruong on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:
YSong wrote:
Because as fans we overrate our young guys. Also Doc is a much better motivator and coach than Luke.

THIS!
TRU DAT
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
cital wrote:
YSong wrote:
Because as fans we overrate our young guys. Also Doc is a much better motivator and coach than Luke.

THIS!
TRU DAT

Doc is a good coach

Actually most people here don't overrate the guys - it's rather their patience doesn't align with their development

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
pio2u wrote:
cital wrote:
YSong wrote:

THIS!
TRU DAT

Doc is a good coach

Actually most people here don't overrate the guys - it's rather their patience doesn't align with their development

Either way, at this point, Doc is a better coach than Luke.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: