Potential coaching candidates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Can you guys itemize for me why you don't like Mark Jackson?

I'm not being critical of this position, just really uninformed as to why he would be a bad coach.

He literally made up a lie about Festus Ezeli cheering for the team to lose games while he was injured so he looks more valuable. The team called out Ezeli one day about this and he broke down in tears. Jackson then admitted he made it up. He also is a religious fanatic and forces that upon the team. He also has bad offensive schemes. He is the 3rd worst candidate next to Kurt Rambis and Brian Shaw.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/report-mark-jackson-tried-to-turn-warriors-against-festus-ezeli-062215
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
slavavov wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Can you guys itemize for me why you don't like Marc Jackson?

I'm not being critical of this position, just really uninformed as to why he would be a bad coach.

The Warriors were a good team under him and nothing more than that. The very next year after he left they won 67 games as Kerr loosened the reins and made them into a fast break team. They weren't really an uptempo team under Jackson. The fast break is our one strength.

Plus Jackson is a devout evangelical Christian who reportedly refused to get along with a few of his players on that team because they were secular.

More like an anti-gay bigot, IIRC his comments about Jason Collins coming out. I think it's probably the biggest hurdle in him getting the gig here with being Jeannie being political.

https://sfbay.ca/2014/05/30/mark-jackson-on-gays-not-in-my-locker-room/

I forgot about that too. Yeah, that's not going to fly in LA (and didn't fly in the Bay either). Not to get too political, but lets just say this is not the era in America that we need to be embracing or forgive anyone with those kind of beliefs.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
slavavov wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

The Warriors were a good team under him and nothing more than that. The very next year after he left they won 67 games as Kerr loosened the reins and made them into a fast break team. They weren't really an uptempo team under Jackson. The fast break is our one strength.

Plus Jackson is a devout evangelical Christian who reportedly refused to get along with a few of his players on that team because they were secular.

More like an anti-gay bigot, IIRC his comments about Jason Collins coming out. I think it's probably the biggest hurdle in him getting the gig here with being Jeannie being political.

He said

“I will say this. We live in a country that allows you to be whoever you want to be. As a Christian man, I serve a God that gives you free will to be who you want to be. As a Christian man, I have beliefs of what’s right and what’s wrong. That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family, and am certainly praying for them at this time.”

I don't see anything wrong there, or that would suggest he was bigoted. We do have the right to not think homosexuality is okay without being demonized. Where he messed up is saying "Not in my locker room". That's discriminatory.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He literally made up a lie about Festus Ezeli cheering for the team to lose games while he was injured so he looks more valuable. The team called out Ezeli one day about this and he broke down in tears. Jackson then admitted he made it up. He also is a religious fanatic and forces that upon the team. He also has bad offensive schemes. He is the 3rd worst candidate next to Kurt Rambis and Brian Shaw.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/report-mark-jackson-tried-to-turn-warriors-against-festus-ezeli-062215

Not a good look, I was under the impression he was decent at the least in scheming an offense.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
slavavov wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He said

“I will say this. We live in a country that allows you to be whoever you want to be. As a Christian man, I serve a God that gives you free will to be who you want to be. As a Christian man, I have beliefs of what’s right and what’s wrong. That being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family, and am certainly praying for them at this time.”

I don't see anything wrong there, or that would suggest he was bigoted. We do have the right to not think homosexuality is okay without being demonized. Where he messed up is saying "Not in my locker room". That's discriminatory.

That doesn't come across a bit weird and insulting to you? Are they in need of his prayers? Did they ask?

Anyway, I still think he's the front runner for the job. A mea culpa, and a "I'm a changed man speech" probably gets him of the hook.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
slavavov wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He said

That doesn't come across a bit weird and insulting to you? Are they in need of his prayers? Did they ask?

Anyway, I still think he's the front runner for the job. A mea culpa, and a "I'm a changed man speech" probably gets him of the hook.

Yea as a Christian myself, I wouldn't say it. Knowing how it would be received. Wasn't smart.

So what I'm getting from most of you is his issue is personality not so much coaching.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Not a good look, I was under the impression he was decent at the least in scheming an offense.

He also refused to get better assistants though Warriors owners were willing to pay for the best. But he was stubborn and wanted to keep his incompetent friends. Also he was rude to Jerry West apparently.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Got it.. he has an abrasive personality.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

Do I really need to break down this mess of literally insane thinking? First of all, not that I've delved much into it, but I'm fairly certain that Jesus never actually said anything about anyone's sexuality, and I get the impression that he wouldn't have cared.

Two, he just his deity gives people free will. But then he goes on to discuss something that is biological, and thus, not subject to free will. He then decides that this behavior, which doesn't even fall under the realm of free will, is a sin (according to ancient Hebrews and some some weird interpretations of a few New Testament passages). Next, he has the audacity to say he's praying the for the family of Jason, as if his family thinks there is anything wrong with Jason. Why does he need prayers? He's fine, his family is fine, they don't need Jackson's weird prayer pity.

The fact that his brain is so irrational means that he isn't fit to be a head coach. And again, telling the LGBT community in Los Angeles that you're going to pray for any of them is not going to fly. It doesn't matter if the lunatic thinks he's righteous and doing a mitzvah, people will be offended by it, and they have every right to be offended.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
slavavov wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He said

Not these days. You might think he should have that right but it would be a complete s**t show all over social media and every sports outlet the first time he says anything remotely against it.

On top of things others have said he also had a thing after being hired by the Warriors where some stripper had nude pics of his and was extorting him. This man of god also had a guy who was part of his church and attended his hiring press conference get arrested for drug trafficking. Basically he compiled A LOTTTT of baggage for such a short time with the Warriors. We def. don't need any of that drama added to the team imo...
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Do I really need to break down this mess of literally insane thinking? First of all, not that I've delved much into it, but I'm fairly certain that Jesus never actually said anything about anyone's sexuality, and I get the impression that he wouldn't have cared.

Two, he just his deity gives people free will. But then he goes on to discuss something that is biological, and thus, not subject to free will. He then decides that this behavior, which doesn't even fall under the realm of free will, is a sin (according to ancient Hebrews and some some weird interpretations of a few New Testament passages). Next, he has the audacity to say he's praying the for the family of Jason, as if his family thinks there is anything wrong with Jason. Why does he need prayers? He's fine, his family is fine, they don't need Jackson's weird prayer pity.

The fact that his brain is so irrational means that he isn't fit to be a head coach. And again, telling the LGBT community in Los Angeles that you're going to pray for any of them is not going to fly. It doesn't matter if the lunatic thinks he's righteous and doing a mitzvah, people will be offended by it, and they have every right to be offended.

This board isn't really the place for this kind of discourse, but as a Christian I will tell you the scripture is unequivocal about homosexuality. We have a right to believe it's wrong, and we have a right to be Christian. What you don't have the right to do is discriminate. Which is why I took issue with "not in my locker room".

I won't quote Bible scripture in here because it wouldn't be appropriate but you may want to get more informed if you're going to expound on what Jesus would say or think.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
slavavov wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He said

Not these days. You might think he should have that right but it would be a complete s**t show all over social media and every sports outlet the first time he says anything remotely against it.

On top of things others have said he also had a thing after being hired by the Warriors where some stripper had nude pics of his and was extorting him. This man of god also had a guy who was part of his church and attended his hiring press conference get arrested for drug trafficking. Basically he compiled A LOTTTT of baggage for such a short time with the Warriors. We def. don't need any of that drama added to the team imo...

Agreed.. didn't know he had all those personal issues.. I'm surprised he even has a job as an analyst.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
slavavov wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He said

Yea as a Christian myself, I wouldn't say it. Knowing how it would be received. Wasn't smart.

So what I'm getting from most of you is his issue is personality not so much coaching.

No, it's both. He's has a cancerous personality AND he has mediocre coaching schemes.

Quote:
"Kerr overhauled a team culture that had grown poisonous, for well-documented reasons, under Jackson and his assistants. In his zeal to motivate players, Jackson fostered resentment among them and toward the front office. He fired two assistants, requested Jerry West stay away from practices, and asked a younger front-office official to stop rebounding for players, sources have said.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Guess I bought the hype.. thought he was a solid coach X and O wise.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

At this point it is too late to bring anyone in until the summer. Anyone real at least. Right now, Rambis, Shaw, etc. can take over as interim if the FO thinks that is better, but there is no new coach that is worth bringing in 20+ games in to the season without any training camp or practice time. A new coach would get hired on Monday, first game on Tuesday. Thats gonna be a bad outcome almost guaranteed. Might as well keep Luke for the rest of the year at this point. If the question is about after this season, I am not sure who is out there. Would LeBron be on board with Messina again?
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Zeljko Obradovic

Now THIS is a great out of the box creative coaching choice. Would love to see the Lakers actually give this dude a look. A pioneer of the modern offensive sets used by Warriors and Spurs.

yep, one just has to look up what Popovich has to say about him. problem is, he most likely wouldnt be available until summer, so if Luke gets the foot, we will need a temporary solution

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

So now LG can evaluate coach lol.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

The problem with replacing Luke mid-season is that it’s setting up the next coach to fail. No training camp? Needing to come in cold more than a quarter of the way into the season? It would be very hard to be successful. Even if Luke is let go, it’s likely that an interim coach would take over for the rest of the season and someone can come in fresh during the summer.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I hear Larry Brown, Rick Pitino and Phil Jackson are available
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

If we are hellbent on even more upheaval, then I would be in favor of a coaching by committee group comprised of M. Brown, B. Scott, K. Rambis and B. Shaw, on a per quarter basis each game. Can't do any worse than any other mid-season replacement to an already overhauled roster expecting even more offseason changes.

We need continuity more than anything else at this point....
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

I do not understand people who are putting Mark Jackson as candidate. Why? Because he is speaking nice on TV? What are his accomplishment as NBA coach?

One thing also. I can see some people are mentioning Obradović. Following him for years. No way he is coming to Europe. His english is crap. Also the mentality of our players couldn't sustain him for 3 days. For him defense is everything and making turnover is prison sentence.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I do not understand people who are putting Mark Jackson as candidate. Why? Because he is speaking nice on TV? What are his accomplishment as NBA coach?

One thing also. I can see some people are mentioning Obradović. Following him for years. No way he is coming to Europe. His english is crap. Also the mentality of our players couldn't sustain him for 3 days. For him defense is everything and making turnover is prison sentence.

i like his english

but did he ever talk about potentially going to the NBA? i cant remember tbh

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

samnizam wrote:
So now LG can evaluate coach lol.
Don't understand this type of comment. What's this board even here for if not for discussion and analysis regarding the Lakers and basketball in general?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject:

too many trying to figure out what to do instead of trying to figure out what Luke is doing and why
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
If we are hellbent on even more upheaval, then I would be in favor of a coaching by committee group comprised of M. Brown, B. Scott, K. Rambis and B. Shaw, on a per quarter basis each game. Can't do any worse than any other mid-season replacement to an already overhauled roster expecting even more offseason changes.

We need continuity more than anything else at this point....

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: