Will Lakers split the Core and Trade for an All-Star this season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Thread Title
Yes - I expect Lakers to split the core and trade for an All-Star
47%
 47%  [ 34 ]
No - I expect Lakers to keep the core intact til next season
52%
 52%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 71

matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
Bradley Beal.

Get him at all costs. Lakers do NOT develop players.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
We were doing fine until the last two games.

We weren't. Lebron heroics were papering over poor performances

It's hard to tell because everyone defers to him.

Not saying it's wrong to do that because he's the best player... but if he got hurt with the rest of the team intact, we'd get a better picture of how team actually functions.

He makes a lot of momentum killing turnovers. Ingram has too at times, but LBJ is a 16 year old vet and he throws the ball away all the time during possessions we can't afford to sacrifice. He also takes a lot of defensive plays off.

I'm glad we have him, but I knew we'd live and die by his play because of his style.

His defensive rating is 106.6 for the year, Ingram's is 105.7 and Lonzo's is 109. He hasn't been a turnstile since the early games ... except for this Denver game.

It's fairly easy to tell we struggle to score without Lebron. Everything looks hard for Ingram, Lonzo is reluctant to be aggressive, KCP has lost his shooting, and Kuzma's off and on. Where's the consistent scoring coming from? The only person I can think is Hart bombing from range.

Come on, man... Ingram's shot over 50% for 5 out of the last 6 games after the board and Stephen A called for his head.

What sucks is that the people who criticize him... disappear when he plays okay... and show up like cockroaches when he starts bricking.

Is he good enough, yet? Nope... but he hasn't been the problem recently.

If you are going to sign your buddies, you need to show up every night and take care of business to make up for it.

This team decided to go with athleticism over shooters and some nights we will pay for it.

I have to say for the most part, this plan has worked... but nights like tonight it's very frustrating as we can't rely on the three ball consistently and of course we lack free throw shooters.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Not saying it's wrong to do that because he's the best player... but if he got hurt with the rest of the team intact, we'd get a better picture of how team actually functions.

He makes a lot of momentum killing turnovers. Ingram has too at times, but LBJ is a 16 year old vet and he throws the ball away all the time during possessions we can't afford to sacrifice. He also takes a lot of defensive plays off.

I'm glad we have him, but I knew we'd live and die by his play because of his style.

His defensive rating is 106.6 for the year, Ingram's is 105.7 and Lonzo's is 109. He hasn't been a turnstile since the early games ... except for this Denver game.

It's fairly easy to tell we struggle to score without Lebron. Everything looks hard for Ingram, Lonzo is reluctant to be aggressive, KCP has lost his shooting, and Kuzma's off and on. Where's the consistent scoring coming from? The only person I can think is Hart bombing from range.

Come on, man... Ingram's shot over 50% for 5 out of the last 6 games after the board and Stephen A called for his head.

What sucks is that the people who criticize him... disappear when he plays okay... and show up like cockroaches when he starts bricking.

If you are going to sign your buddies, you need to show up every night and take care of business to make up for it.

This team decided to go with athleticism over shooters and some nights we will pay for it.

I have to say for the most part, this plan has worked... but nights like tonight it's very frustrating as we can't rely on the three ball consistently and of course we lack free throw shooters.

I like Ingram when he takes it to the rim. Love him actually. And his step back 3 is golden. That being said he struggles to get inside when people pack the paint, and they pack the paint because they don't respect our 3 point shooting. Against Denver they were packing the paint cause we shot 5-35 from 3, then just killing us on the rebound.

Ingram's been managing to get inside lately, but it just seems hard for him. I can't see it happening on a consistent basis. I would love for the Lakers to get some shooters and spread the floor so that it's easier for Ingram to get inside, because at the moment he's been doing it sure. I just can't see it happening game in and game out. His contested shooting will always be come and go. He's a bit ... slender.

What's frustrating about our lack of 3 point shooting is that some people point to the stats and go "look, top ten in the league" without realizing some games we shoot lights out from 3 and we're hard to beat, and some we can't buy a 3 and teams will just pack the paint and we find it hard to do anything. It's streaky. I would love for Magic to go out and find a cheap, reliable 3 point shooter. We don't have to trade away our young core and it would just space the floor so much better.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
drae wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I like Ingram when he takes it to the rim. Love him actually. And his step back 3 is golden. That being said he struggles to get inside when people pack the paint, and they pack the paint because they don't respect our 3 point shooting. Against Denver they were packing the paint cause we shot 5-35 from 3, then just killing us on the rebound.

Ingram's been managing to get inside lately, but it just seems hard for him. I can't see it happening on a consistent basis. I would love for the Lakers to get some shooters and spread the floor so that it's easier for Ingram to get inside, because at the moment he's been doing it sure. I just can't see it happening game in and game out. His contested shooting will always be come and go. He's a bit ... slender.

What's frustrating about our lack of 3 point shooting is that some people point to the stats and go "look, top ten in the league" without realizing some games we shoot lights out from 3 and we're hard to beat, and some we can't buy a 3 and teams will just pack the paint and we find it hard to do anything. It's streaky. I would love for Magic to go out and find a cheap, reliable 3 point shooter. We don't have to trade away our young core and it would just space the floor so much better.

Or just play KCP, Hart, and Svi with regularity so we get them in rhythm.

Even give Beasley and Mo more run.

Lance, although he's been good this season, is not a bonafide three point scorer... neither is Kuzma.

Yet we keep letting them brick over and over because they have the balls to take them.

I would order the people who actually have the best chance to make them to shoot all the time.

The wrong people are taking those shots.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject:

Lebron needs a second star, just like Kobe needed Gasol.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject:

Depends, if Magic thinks KD or Kawhi is coming in 2019 then no.
If he doesn't then probably.

I'm going to go with "no" but I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject:

Bradley Beal's oversized contract makes me hesitant to trade for him, but he's an All-Star caliber player and he's only in his mid-20s. Plus, if we get him, we could theoretically flip him in a package for Anthony Davis, should Davis demand a trade and actually be available. A package centered around Beal should be more appealing than one centered around Ingram or Kuzma.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
chrisca91 wrote:
Bradley Beal.

Beal's owed 25, 27, and then 28 mill for the next 3 seasons. Hard Pass. Plus he ain't a game changer. He's been in the league for already 7 years and he's been getting cooked this season with his lacksidaisical play.
I still see more potential with BI rather than Beal for defense and offense.

Plus if there's the slightest chance KD already has a deal with Magic and Lebron you wait on that. Draymond is mad for a reason
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
Bradley Beal.

This... I like BI's potential, I like Zo's potential... that said, this organization sucks at player development (look at DLo and Julius thriving on other teams now).

Also, we got LeBron whose window is about 3 years.. Getting Bron sped up the timeline for this team.. As much as I would have loved to try and develop young talent and taking it step by step, there is no time to be patient now and develop players when we got Bron. Win NOW, got to have players who are already established.

Go get Beal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Bradley Beal's oversized contract makes me hesitant to trade for him, but he's an All-Star caliber player and he's only in his mid-20s. Plus, if we get him, we could theoretically flip him in a package for Anthony Davis, should Davis demand a trade and actually be available. A package centered around Beal should be more appealing than one centered around Ingram or Kuzma.

My guess is that NO would have more than those two choices.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:
chrisca91 wrote:
Bradley Beal.

This... I like BI's potential, I like Zo's potential... that said, this organization sucks at player development (look at DLo and Julius thriving on other teams now).

Also, we got LeBron whose window is about 3 years.. Getting Bron sped up the timeline for this team.. As much as I would have loved to try and develop young talent and taking it step by step, there is no time to be patient now and develop players when we got Bron. Win NOW, got to have players who are already established.

Go get Beal.

To be fair, Julius turned the corner as a Laker. That didn’t matter to the FO.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

Option B

Keep them this season
See who we can get in the off season
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

We already split the core. Literally half of it is already gone -- Russell, Nance, Clarkson, and Randle. I find it interesting that some people haven't internalized this and still think that we are building through the draft.

To answer the question, if the right deal comes up, the FO will flush the rest of the kids in a heartbeat. The question is whether the FO will start throwing away our future draft picks, too. I don't think the kids have enough value to land a big fish by themselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Option B

Keep them this season

We better start playing better or no one is going to want to come here.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
defense wrote:
Option B

Keep them this season

I got a feeling Magic and Lebron already got an ace up there sleeves....
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
defense wrote:
Option B

Keep them this season

I got a feeling Magic and Lebron already got an ace up there sleeves....

Agree. Trading for someone who eats up that cap space means that they do not...unless that trade is for AD and that was who they had up their sleeve.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

same tired old trade bs in every thread...give it up already and support the team that is here...now
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

What core? None of the youngsters are that special to be honest.

Lonzo: very offense limited in an era of scoring point guards. His attitude is also very nonchalant.

Ingram: jack of all trades master of none, can’t do any specific thing well. Poor rebounder for his size. Lack of athleticism and strength is his undoing, lack of a dependable jump shot also compounds those deficiencies. Poor attitude on the court.

Kuz: someone here had said it the best, he’s exactly a taller version of Jordan clarkson. A chucker who brings little else to the table.

All of them are young but do not deserve the term “core”.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
We already split the core. Literally half of it is already gone -- Russell, Nance, Clarkson, and Randle. I find it interesting that some people haven't internalized this and still think that we are building through the draft.

To answer the question, if the right deal comes up, the FO will flush the rest of the kids in a heartbeat. The question is whether the FO will start throwing away our future draft picks, too. I don't think the kids have enough value to land a big fish by themselves.

+1
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure they won't but I wouldn't mind it assuming that star is Beal and we only give up Hart or BI + KCP and a 1st.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Well, if (emphasis on “if”) the Lakers were going to trade for a star, they should’ve done it before the season.

The value of the young core was much higher during the summer. It’s slipped a bit since the season started.

And the opposite with the “stars” the Lakers may want to trade for like Kemba or Kawhi, their value was lower before the season started, but with them now playing like mvp candidates their stocks have risen much higher.

Good point.

I admit I was one of the regulars here who also didn't want any part of Kawhi Leonard for Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma. But looking back now, if that deal was really on the table as reported by Woj and Shams, and Lakers still had room to add another star player next summer, I think Lakers missed out.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

To my way of thinking, references to the Laker "core" no longer apply to the young players on this roster.

Having disconnected themselves from D-LO, Clarkson, Nance and Randle, the Lakers really only have Ingram and Ball left over from what was called the core. Kuzma was a first round gift horse and Hart was added similarly. There's no core now.

PT and young player development priorities are - or seem to have been - shelved from past seasons, and in their places are whatever it takes to win now. LeBron runs the offense and dominates play, and these wistful thoughts about a Laker core just don't apply anymore in any meaningful way.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Lakers split the Core and Trade for an All-Star this season?

Nash Vegas wrote:
Yes or No

No They're too arrogant
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
funny how some turn to lemmings after reading a couple of articles...easily influenced

Let me make a similarly unsubstantiated claim: the "lemmings" you are referring to probably do not have an LG account.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
chrisca91 wrote:
Bradley Beal.

Interesting. Which Laker draftee can we look back at and say was actually developed by the coaching staff? DJ Mbenga? Vujacic/Farmar/Turiaf perhaps? Slim pickings..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: