Young Core: Which Are Showing Signs of Being Playoff Ready?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Young Core: Which Are Showing Signs of Being Playoff Ready?

If the playoffs started next month, which of our young core would be ready to help LBJ get to the Finals?

1. Hart: Due to age and experience, I think he would be the most right now to contributed in a playoff series. Shooting 43% from 3 on 5.2 attempts a night, able to defend on switches. I think of the young guys, he'd be the most capable of playing in a Finals game. Yes, his point of attack leaves much to be desired, but I feel like I can trust him in a tight playoff game.

2. BI: Yes, his iso play can get frustrating and his shot selection is frustrating, but I think his ability to play many roles would be helpful. However, his hesitancy to shoot 3s may be a negative in the playoffs and LBJ needs 3 point shooters in the playoffs to space the floor.

3. Kuz: I think he would be mercilessly picked on by teams for his lackluster defense, but I think he could provide an offensive spark in games. However, I think his lack of defensive consistency may lead to quick yanks out of games too.

4. Lonzo: biggest wildcard but as of now, just not consistent enough with his offense. He could play a role with his defense and passing, but you know Luke is closing with Rondo over Lonzo. His FT shooting problems and anemic scoring threat may pose problems.

5. OTHERS: Svi/Wag/Bonga likely not ready, though I think Svi may see some spot minutes.

Out of all the guys, the one I just trust the most in a playoffs atmosphere is Hart. Hopefully the rest will start getting acclimated but as of today, that's my outlook.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

To me? Josh Hart and that’s it so far.

Maybe Kuz #2.

For Brandon, I’m just not clear on what his role is on this team. So less a knock on him and more as to how he fits with the guys we have.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

I think Kuz could have a few games where he just goes on a hot streak scoring. But his defense is just so atrocious that at the playoff level, he would really be a liability.

BI has many tools to be a contributor, but the physicality might be a bit much as we get deeper.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

Hart for sure

Lonzo if we need him to just concentrate on defense, crashing board and spot up 3s... still insecure about penetrating
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

Zo could be in a very impactful stride by Playoff time
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Kuz could have a few games where he just goes on a hot streak scoring. But his defense is just so atrocious that at the playoff level, he would really be a liability.

BI has many tools to be a contributor, but the physicality might be a bit much as we get deeper.

Don't disagree that his defense is a concern, I just think his reliability as a scorer, particularly in clutch situations, would be valuable in a playoff setting given the players that we have.

There are a lot of players in the league that aren't particularly good defenders but offer up enough unique skills for their team that it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

I think Kuz is the guy you want taking the end of game shots, if Lebron gets doubled.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

Maybe Kuz can be a Horry like figure in the playoffs. But if we start him, he will be ripped to shreds on defense.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

I agree on Hart. He's the kind of role player who can help a team win playoff games.

Lonzo - interesting question. Will he evolve a little this season to where he doesn't hide his offense under a rock? He could be very helpful to a playoff drive with his defense and court vision, and his low usage style could mesh well with high-usage LeBron, if only he could get over his phobia about taking shots, or shooting free throws.

I also don't understand what's going on in Lonzo's head that causes him, on nights when his 3 pt shot is on, to always have one shot that misses the rim by a mile. I mean, laughably misses. Does he take an analytic approach to what causes the mental miscues, then fix the problem? Looks to me like he has decided to shy away to avoid further embarrassment, and that latter approach pisses me off, in spite of the many good things he does.

Ingram - how hard is it for a coach to tell a player to stop playing mid-range contested iso ball? I'm surprised BI hasn't figured out on his own that it isn't working. He's disruptive on defense, one would think he could fix his offense so he doesn't hurt the team. And maybe someone should tell him he's not LeBron James, nor is he Kobe Bryant. Don't trust him in the playoffs until he stops the mid-range iso black holeativity.

Kuz - off the bench please. Until he learns defense. He can score in bunches if we're behind, but I wouldn't trust him on a playoff starting roster.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

None
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

1.) Hart. Experienced success in college and is a pitbull. Hes got that Fisher-like dog in him.

2.) kuzma. His youth and confidence allows him to keep shooting. Not saying this is a good thing, but hes not scared.

3.) Ingram. I think he has the grandpa game going where he might be able to get a bucket or two in half court sets.

Lonzo isnt ready. Game slows down and he is extremely challenged offensively. He lacks confidence on that end and has shown he can be rattled.

Also, we have Rondo.
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

None.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
None
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Hart but nobody else as of now
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Hart but nobody else as of now

Yep although I’m pretty confident Lonzo will get out of this shooting slump by playoff time and his passing/defense/screening will make him a valuable player come playoff time.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Hart is a guy I'd feel very comfortable playing a big role in the playoffs. I also have faith in Kuzma-- kid is a gamer and loves those big moments. BI, if his shot isn't falling is going to be an offensive liability come May. Lonzo, I'm just over in general so playoffs or in December, I don't feel great about him.

I'd rank:

1) Hart
2) Kuzma
3) BI
4) Lonzo
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

It's also a function so far, of age and experience.

Kuz had what, 4 years in college?

Hart won a NCAA championship so he knows what it feels like to be on a big stage.

Lonzo/BI are still growing into their bodies but they have higher ceilings IMO. But as of 2018-19, I tend to think Hart is the most ready to play deep into the playoffs.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Zero.
Zilch.
Nada.
None.
The Nun.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

I actually think kuz is most ready. He has the type of personality that seems like he yearns for the bright lights. I think his performance actually increases during the playoffs.
lakerz32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

for now just hart, partially because he plays a smaller specified role, but even than he will make mistakes and come with warts

still a long season for everyone to adjust and improve
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

PauPau wrote:
None.

methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

We know it ain't Lonzo.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
We know it ain't Lonzo.

We don’t know that. Some players, rondo is an example, are better in the playoffs. Lonzo could be one of those players, hell Kuzma could be a playoff monster...or either of them could be a Clarkson and put up historically bad numbers. Have to wait and see.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
We know it ain't Lonzo.

We don’t know that. Some players, rondo is an example, are better in the playoffs. Lonzo could be one of those players, hell Kuzma could be a playoff monster...or either of them could be a Clarkson and put up historically bad numbers. Have to wait and see.

Lonzo- best defender, best rebounder, best passer, best screener, second best spot up shooter.

Yea sounds like a playoff player on a LeBron team. He’s got holes but the obsession with ppg is so out of control.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
We know it ain't Lonzo.

Lonzo- best defender, best rebounder, best passer, best screener, second best spot up shooter.

Yea sounds like a playoff player on a LeBron team. He’s got holes but the obsession with ppg is so out of control.

It really is

Donovan Mitchell is shooting 41/29 and playing terrible D but taking 19 shots a game for 20 points with a -1.6 BPM with 3r 3a per 36.

Lonzo is 38/34 playing good D and only taking 7 shots a game for 7 points with a 0.4 BPM with 7r 7a per 36.

And Mitchell is a stud and Lonzo a bust? I don’t like low efficiency no d chuckers, seems like I’m in the minority tho.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
methdxman wrote:
We know it ain't Lonzo.

It really is

Donovan Mitchell is shooting 41/29 and playing terrible D but taking 19 shots a game for 20 points with a -1.6 BPM with 3r 3a per 36.

Lonzo is 38/34 playing good D and only taking 7 shots a game for 7 points with a 0.4 BPM with 7r 7a per 36.

And Mitchell is a stud and Lonzo a bust? I don’t like low efficiency no d chuckers, seems like I’m in the minority tho.

As long as Luke can recognize what’s going on, I could care less about public perception. I’m not sure that’s the case given his minutes distribution though. It actually seems like he prefers no D low efficiency guys a lot of the time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: