Going to Maui tomorrow - tips/recommendations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to Maui tomorrow - tips/recommendations?

tlim wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

3. Mama's hands down cannot miss. On the road to Hana, any shaved ice stand. Bruddah Huts BBQ in Hana Town. Koiso Sushi in Kihei. Eskimo Candy (poke) in Kihei. The Fish Market Maui in Lahaina. Down the Hatch in Lahaina.

Remember to make reservations as early as possible because the place gets packed and it's tough to get a table as a walk in.

Oh, I've never been to Koiso. Wonder how it compares to stuff on Oahu.

I'm alone so I got a reservation pretty easily. I reserved it through the resort concierge so maybe that helped. This isn't peak season, which is why I thought it'd be a good time to make this trip while the weather is still warm and the rush of families on summer vacation is long gone.

Anyway my lunch was delicious. Started with the ahi salad and had uku, ahi and mahi mahi in panang curry for my main course. I hung out at the little beach outside the restaurant until sunset and got some great shots of sea turtles chilling on the sand. I don't typically spend $120 on a meal but overall it was a great experience and my server made me feel important. I've seen that dining alone you can sometimes feel like the forgotten man trying to find the server. While the food was good I feel you're paying about a 25% premium for the ambiance and location. I'd probably go again for dinner next time if I have a lady with me. I wouldn't go back there alone though. Too many places with great food for one-third the price. Still, I'm glad I went and have zero regrets.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Mind me asking why you went alone? Business trip?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Just felt like getting out of L.A. Booked it 2 months ago because airfare was only $300 round trip. Obviously I wouldn't mind having someone else with me but travelling alone has its advantages. You can literally do whatever the hell you want. Eat wherever you want. Reservations aren't necessary because you can always get a seat at the bar.

I will admit Hawaii is a place that can make you feel lonely at times. Seeing all the happy couples is a little nauseating. Getting flashes of Forgetting Sarah Marshall . My last breakup was really hard and I've just wanted to be single for a while. Finding it hard to get back into the dating thing. My game is so weak right now.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
I recommend Maui Brewing Co. awesome pulled pork sliders and nachos

Had lunch there today. Had the coconut hima porter. Loved it. Ordered wings, fish tacos and black rock dip. The wings were just ok but everything else was great. I'm not a big guy, but the waitress had a good laugh over how much I can eat .
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Just felt like getting out of L.A. Booked it 2 months ago because airfare was only $300 round trip. Obviously I wouldn't mind having someone else with me but travelling alone has its advantages. You can literally do whatever the hell you want. Eat wherever you want. Reservations aren't necessary because you can always get a seat at the bar.

I will admit Hawaii is a place that can make you feel lonely at times. Seeing all the happy couples is a little nauseating. Getting flashes of Forgetting Sarah Marshall . My last breakup was really hard and I've just wanted to be single for a while. Finding it hard to get back into the dating thing. My game is so weak right now.

This could make a new entry into the franchise:

Vacation
European Vacation
Christmas Vacation
Incel Vacation
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Damn that's dirt cheap!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Based on the above, I’d say your game is definitely solid.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

I forgot to mention this, but at the Hula Grill, if you decide to go there again and haven’t tried it yet, their Tandoori Fish is one of my favorite fish dishes anywhere. (If you like spicy Indian style food.) They serve it with a cucumber Raita which is a perfect cooling complement.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Damn that's dirt cheap!

That's less than half of what I pay in the summer months with my family.

Which reminds me, even though tickets are more expensive, using your hotel points at the end of the year instead of paying cash for the hotel will save you gobs of money. Did the New Year thing on Oahu and hotel prices were 600+ for a number of the hotels that I like. Used my points for Sheraton Waikiki instead, and that saved a ton.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
YSong wrote:
I recommend Maui Brewing Co. awesome pulled pork sliders and nachos

Had lunch there today. Had the coconut hima porter. Loved it. Ordered wings, fish tacos and black rock dip. The wings were just ok but everything else was great. I'm not a big guy, but the waitress had a good laugh over how much I can eat .

Wings just ok?

Did they get a new chef? Because those things were the best ever 2 years ago
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
I forgot to mention this, but at the Hula Grill, if you decide to go there again and haven’t tried it yet, their Tandoori Fish is one of my favorite fish dishes anywhere. (If you like spicy Indian style food.) They serve it with a cucumber Raita which is a perfect cooling complement.

How could I forget this? Great call. I love Tandoori anything haha.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

That sounds exactly like something up my alley. I went twice and didn't see that on the menu. I went both times for dinner so maybe that one's on the lunch menu. I will just have to come back again

I have to check out in about an hour to catch my flight and haven't started packing yet. Can't thank you guys enough for all the tips.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: