Romaine Issues Again (E. coli)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Romaine Issues Again (E. coli)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/romaine-lettuce-is-not-safe-to-eat-cdc-warns-us-consumers/2018/11/20/726d0ae6-ece9-11e8-96d4-0d23f2aaad09_story.html

Just read this midway through eating a sandwich with spring mix in it. Didn’t finish it.

I’m just gonna permanently eat arugula for my greens. They never seem to have problems.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Just had a salad with Romaine for lunch.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

thats what antibiotics are for!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

The CDC is including baby romaine (red and green) and all spring mixes that usually include baby romaine in this warning.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Anyone tried leaf spinach instead of lettuce on a sandwich ?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

People often put baby spinach on sandwiches. I'm sure leaf spinach would be fine. It doesn't give you the crunch of lettuce, but it does give that fresh veggie contrast with the other ingredients.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Yep it’s good. But I love me some arugula so I’ve been putting that in my sandwiches. Costs the same as Spring Mix at my store and seems to last longer too.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The CDC is including baby romaine (red and green) and all spring mixes that usually include baby romaine in this warning.
yeah this new romaine warrning is not like the others i've seen in the past. they usually dont out right say leave ALL and ANY romaine alone. even though they eventually went there the last time it was on the dont eat list. it usually takes them time to go there by getting multiple farms involved or having a large farm that provides for a lot of smaller farms who provide for a lot of stores/eateries. So this makes this time around even scarier than the last time. But dang, we seem to not be able to eat a darn thing these days. You can't go vegan, you can't eat Bird, sheesh.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

My Grandmother would pick the dandelion greens from the backyard. Now you can get them at the market.
https://shop.vons.com/product-details.184400030.html

And they are very good for you...a least that's what Grandma said*

* I looked it up...she was right
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dandelion-benefits
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
My Grandmother would pick the dandelion greens from the backyard. Now you can get them at the market.

I see people picking greens at Kenneth Hahn Park all the time. I've been told if you don't know which ones to pick they can make you sick.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

I see people picking greens at Kenneth Hahn Park all the time. I've been told if you don't know which ones to pick they can make you sick.

stick with the ones with the yellow flowers (or just get hem at Von's)...and still ...stay away from the yellow snow and the brown acid
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Anyonr with experience in this industry have any thoughts as to why it seems like this is happening more often?

Or, perhaps, it is not happening more often but the internet allows for better and faster communication of the contaminations when they occur?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Anyonr with experience in this industry have any thoughts as to why it seems like this is happening more often?

Or, perhaps, it is not happening more often but the internet allows for better and faster communication of the contaminations when they occur?

THE SCIENCE IS CLEAR: DIRTY FARM WATER IS MAKING US SICK (09.27.18)

Quote:
For more than a decade, it’s been clear that there’s a gaping hole in American food safety: Growers aren’t required to test their irrigation water for pathogens such as E. coli. As a result, contaminated water can end up on fruits and vegetables.

After several high-profile disease outbreaks linked to food, Congress in 2011 ordered a fix, and produce growers this year would have begun testing their water under rules crafted by the Obama administration’s Food and Drug Administration.

But six months before people were sickened by the contaminated romaine, President Donald Trump’s FDA – responding to pressure from the farm industry and Trump’s order to eliminate regulations – shelved the water-testing rules for at least four years.

Despite this deadly outbreak, the FDA has shown no sign of reconsidering its plan to postpone the rules. The agency also is considering major changes, such as allowing some produce growers to test less frequently or find alternatives to water testing to ensure the safety of their crops.

The FDA’s lack of urgency dumbfounds food safety scientists.

“Mystifying, isn’t it?” said Trevor Suslow, a food safety expert at the University of California, Davis. “If the risk factor associated with agricultural water use is that closely tied to contamination and outbreaks, there needs to be something now. … I can’t think of a reason to justify waiting four to six to eight years to get started.”
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

THE SCIENCE IS CLEAR: DIRTY FARM WATER IS MAKING US SICK (09.27.18)

Quote:
For more than a decade, it’s been clear that there’s a gaping hole in American food safety: Growers aren’t required to test their irrigation water for pathogens such as E. coli. As a result, contaminated water can end up on fruits and vegetables.

After several high-profile disease outbreaks linked to food, Congress in 2011 ordered a fix, and produce growers this year would have begun testing their water under rules crafted by the Obama administration’s Food and Drug Administration.

But six months before people were sickened by the contaminated romaine, President Donald Trump’s FDA – responding to pressure from the farm industry and Trump’s order to eliminate regulations – shelved the water-testing rules for at least four years.

Despite this deadly outbreak, the FDA has shown no sign of reconsidering its plan to postpone the rules. The agency also is considering major changes, such as allowing some produce growers to test less frequently or find alternatives to water testing to ensure the safety of their crops.

The FDA’s lack of urgency dumbfounds food safety scientists.

“Mystifying, isn’t it?” said Trevor Suslow, a food safety expert at the University of California, Davis. “If the risk factor associated with agricultural water use is that closely tied to contamination and outbreaks, there needs to be something now. … I can’t think of a reason to justify waiting four to six to eight years to get started.”

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Spicier leaves like urugala, kale, some Chinese hotpot leaves, are delicious substitute
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Eugene Gu, MD?
Verified account @eugenegu
Nov 25
More
We have an outbreak of E. Coli O157:H7 which makes you vomit blood, have bloody diarrhea, and even pee blood as you lose your kidneys. It’s all because Trump overturned Obama-era rules to test our farm water. Farmers save $12 million so that we pay $108 million in medical costs.

This strain of E. Coli creates a Shiga toxin that stops our cells from producing the proteins they need to live, exactly like how the deadly poison ricin works. Cow don’t have the Shiga toxin receptor in their intestines so they can have E. Coli O157:H7 without any symptoms.

Overuse of antibiotics in our farm animals encourages the growth of this deadly strain of E. Coli over other bacteria, causing these cows to shed huge amounts of it in their feces which then contaminates the water farmers use to water our crops like Romaine lettuce.

We are a first world country yet we don’t have basic food safety because of first world problems like the overuse of antibiotics. So in essence the FDA under Trump encourages the spread of E. Coli O157:H7 in livestock and discourages testing the water contaminated by their feces.

Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Just incredible. Science is irrefutable when done correctly. How can this kind of stuff be ignored?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

doesn't the trump administration literally only take into account the costs (i.e., they completely ignore the potential benefits) of potential administrative agency action
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

There’s an update. Source of the outbreak identified.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/26/18113635/romaine-lettuce-ecoli-outbreak-california-fda-cdc-contamination-symptoms
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: