NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

NCAA says California schools could be banned from championships if bill isn't dropped

Quote:
The NCAA is ratcheting up its opposition to a California bill that would allow college athletes in the state to earn compensation for the use of their own name, image or likeness, beginning in 2023.

In a letter to the chairs of two State Assembly committees last week, NCAA President Mark Emmert implied that if the bill becomes law as it is written, California schools could face the prospect of being prohibited from participating in NCAA championships. That includes 23 NCAA Division I schools, four of which are in the Pac-12 Conference.

LINK
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

adkindo wrote:
NCAA says California schools could be banned from championships if bill isn't dropped

Quote:
The NCAA is ratcheting up its opposition to a California bill that would allow college athletes in the state to earn compensation for the use of their own name, image or likeness, beginning in 2023.

In a letter to the chairs of two State Assembly committees last week, NCAA President Mark Emmert implied that if the bill becomes law as it is written, California schools could face the prospect of being prohibited from participating in NCAA championships. That includes 23 NCAA Division I schools, four of which are in the Pac-12 Conference.

LINK

At first glance, if Cali does this and the NCAA does this, then I suspect this could be the beginning of the end for the NCAA.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

NCAA is a mafia
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

At first glance, if Cali does this and the NCAA does this, then I suspect this could be the beginning of the end for the NCAA.

I personally do not have a feel for it....but clearly unless the NCAA altered their rules for everyone....a change that I do not think is supported by any conference, the California schools could not be considered for championships. I am not sure if the state passed the law, if the schools would have the choice to allow or not allow because I would assume if forced to allow compensation, they would be removed from their conferences (PAC12, MW, est.). Maybe the final law is altered to allow the schools, but not force them....in which it would mostly be ceremonial legislation because none of the Division I schools would adopt the law.

It is all speculation, but that would likely lead to the PAC12 disbanding. I would be very careful if I was California because they could do damage to their programs that could take decades to correct. I recall reading the estimate for a major college sports program is it takes a decade to rebuild a program for every year it is dormant....so if the schools began to suspend programs because they could not compete and earn required revenue, it could get ugly. If you recall a few years ago, North Carolina would not budge on their gender bathroom law until the NCAA stepped in and began removing events. They quickly folded like a cheap suit.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I personally do not have a feel for it....but clearly unless the NCAA altered their rules for everyone....a change that I do not think is supported by any conference, the California schools could not be considered for championships. I am not sure if the state passed the law, if the schools would have the choice to allow or not allow because I would assume if forced to allow compensation, they would be removed from their conferences (PAC12, MW, est.). Maybe the final law is altered to allow the schools, but not force them....in which it would mostly be ceremonial legislation because none of the Division I schools would adopt the law.

It is all speculation, but that would likely lead to the PAC12 disbanding. I would be very careful if I was California because they could do damage to their programs that could take decades to correct. I recall reading the estimate for a major college sports program is it takes a decade to rebuild a program for every year it is dormant....so if the schools began to suspend programs because they could not compete and earn required revenue, it could get ugly. If you recall a few years ago, North Carolina would not budge on their gender bathroom law until the NCAA stepped in and began removing events. They quickly folded like a cheap suit.

If Cali goes this way, what else might happen? Might other states follow? Might the best athletes come to Cali? I'm inclined to believe yes on both questions.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

You know how much money the NCAA would lose if they don't have California schools?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

If Cali goes this way, what else might happen? Might other states follow? Might the best athletes come to Cali? I'm inclined to believe yes on both questions.

that would be the issue....unless the NCAA changed their rules, they would have to be removed because the recruiting advantage would be significant.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
You know how much money the NCAA would lose if they don't have California schools?

IDK...many of us in the East thought the PAC12 quit playing Football and Basketball a couple years ago.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

IDK...many of us in the East thought the PAC12 quit playing Football and Basketball a couple years ago.

The point is if the NCAA bans California schools will it affect their enrollment....doubtful. Will they lose income that is generated from those sports. Definitely.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Yep. Cutting of your nose to spite your face.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

We will see how it plays out.....my guess is California will back down or give the schools an out clause.....because that is exactly what California could be doing.

The thing that is being missed is California does not need a law for their schools to adopt "player compensation rules"....but they do not because either they do not support it and/or prefer to stay in their conference and be eligible to compete in the NCAA which does not allow it. So why is the state getting involved? From the outside, it appears to be an example of politicians grandstanding and trying to find a solution to a problem they do not have....instead of dealing with real issues. I mean everyone hates the NCAA, right....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

We will see how it plays out.....my guess is California will back down or give the schools an out clause.....because that is exactly what California could be doing.

The thing that is being missed is California does not need a law for their schools to adopt "player compensation rules"....but they do not because either they do not support it and/or prefer to stay in their conference and be eligible to compete in the NCAA which does not allow it. So why is the state getting involved? From the outside, it appears to be an example of politicians grandstanding and trying to find a solution to a problem they do not have....instead of dealing with real issues. I mean everyone hates the NCAA, right....

Let's just say that they have spent decades making it difficult to like NCAA leadership.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

DP
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

TP
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: NCAA Threatens to Ban California Schools

DaMuleRules wrote:

Let's just say that they have spent decades making it difficult to like NCAA leadership.

yes, they are a popular bad guy. I really think the better resolution is remove all these rules in every sport preventing someone from declaring to go pro. I honestly do not think there is much money to be made off likeness outside a handful of players. For example, consider UCLA...one of the most historic and recognizable basketball programs......a traditional "blue blood". Over the last decade, who honestly on that team could have made real money off their "likeness"? Lonzo....off hand, I can't really think of anyone else whose "star power" rose to the level of commercial demand....maybe Kevin Love when he was there. Even Duke this year....yes, Zion could have made a small fortune....and RJ Barrett may have made a little money....but is anyone really paying Cam Reddish much for his likeness?

Keep college amateur, and do not restrict guys from going pro when they choose (which is not a NCAA issue...they have never prevented a player from going pro).
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

What sucks is the ban on sports that have 0% chance of cashing in.

Can anyone name 2 of the Ladies from UCLA that won the Women's College World Series? Would they be able to cash in with this opportunity? Who won the 400m sprint last year?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Other than college football, all the schools can form a single California college league and they would be fine. Theres so many D1 schools in California.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

Can anyone name 2 of the Ladies from UCLA that won the Women's College World Series? Would they be able to cash in with this opportunity?

Rachel Garcia and Bubba Nickels....do not challenge my womens college softball acumen.

***Shea Moreno just to show off...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Other than college football, all the schools can form a single California college league and they would be fine. Theres so many D1 schools in California.

I hear you, but what would be the point? To win the California Championship? Almost every 4 and 5 Star would flee the state to seek national recognition. Let's be honest....one side or the other will blink...there is no reality where UCLA and USC are not playing revenue sports at the highest national level.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Can anyone name 2 of the Ladies from UCLA that won the Women's College World Series? Would they be able to cash in with this opportunity?

Rachel Garcia and Bubba Nickels....do not challenge my womens college softball acumen.

Knew Bubba Nickels simply because I watched a bunch of the WS with my daughter and you don't forget a name like that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I hear you, but what would be the point? To win the California Championship? Almost every 4 and 5 Star would flee the state to seek national recognition. Let's be honest....one side or the other will blink...there is no reality where UCLA and USC are not playing revenue sports at the highest national level.

Obviously the NCAA can't sit back and let a group of schools set their own rules in regards to allowing players to monetize their likenesses. But it's really time that the NCAA caught up with today's world and quit trying to squash kids under their thumb while they make all the money off of those kids.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

autoprice
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject:

thank you
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Can we ban the NCAA from existence.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Knew Bubba Nickels simply because I watched a bunch of the WS with my daughter and you don't forget a name like that.

yeah a girl named Bubba is just too awesome, and Garcia is the ace pitcher and has been their best player for 2-3 years. Moreno either plays catcher or 1st Base...just recall the name/face. Those ladies rolled in the World Series. I probably recall more of the UCLA girls because they have been in the finals the last 2 years, and mostly the same girls.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Let players make money off their name. God knows the NCAA does it every March. The hypocrisy is through the roof.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: