Los Angeles area teacher arrested after punching student in class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 45208
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
OK. The kid swung back. Does that not make them equally culprit?


Well, we know criminally, no because only one person was arrested.

Now, civilly, possibly. But, usually in civil court, if you're wrong criminally, you're going to be wrong civilly as well.

The person that swings back has a self defense excuse. The person that swings first doesn't. There's no self defense for verbal attacks.

There's also the matter that more is expected of an adult and a teacher to keep a level head than it is for a 14 year old.

----------------------------

Remember the girl from New Jersey, college student that swung on a guy and he swung back. She fell and hit her head on the pavement and suffered brain damage. The police never pressed charges on him, because they determined she was the aggressor and he had a right to defend himself.

Quote:
NEW BRUNSWICK -- Police will not file charges against the man who punched a 19-year-old woman in the face outside a party near Rutgers in an incident that has left her hospitalized for more than a week.

New Brunswick police Capt. J.T. Miller said Wednesday that police have determined Emily Rand was the aggressor in the incident that left her with a fractured skull after she was knocked to the ground by the punch.

Emily Rand, 19, of South Amboy suffered a fractured skull after being punched by a man in New Brunswick last weekend.


https://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/11/no_charges_for_man_who_punched_woman_19_near_rutge.html



Now, remember that the kid also threw a basketball at the teacher. I think he threw it at his legs. So, the teacher's best case is to say that the kid was the aggressor. But there's limits to everything. Does throwing a basketball at someone's leg warrant a beat down? The teacher is much bigger than the kid. At one point, he was standing over him and smashing a phone against his face.

Dud he throw the ball first? If he did the teacher can claim self defense. The ball can be considered a weapon.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
OK. The kid swung back. Does that not make them equally culprit?


Well, we know criminally, no because only one person was arrested.

Now, civilly, possibly. But, usually in civil court, if you're wrong criminally, you're going to be wrong civilly as well.

The person that swings back has a self defense excuse. The person that swings first doesn't. There's no self defense for verbal attacks.

There's also the matter that more is expected of an adult and a teacher to keep a level head than it is for a 14 year old.

----------------------------

Remember the girl from New Jersey, college student that swung on a guy and he swung back. She fell and hit her head on the pavement and suffered brain damage. The police never pressed charges on him, because they determined she was the aggressor and he had a right to defend himself.

Quote:
NEW BRUNSWICK -- Police will not file charges against the man who punched a 19-year-old woman in the face outside a party near Rutgers in an incident that has left her hospitalized for more than a week.

New Brunswick police Capt. J.T. Miller said Wednesday that police have determined Emily Rand was the aggressor in the incident that left her with a fractured skull after she was knocked to the ground by the punch.

Emily Rand, 19, of South Amboy suffered a fractured skull after being punched by a man in New Brunswick last weekend.


https://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/11/no_charges_for_man_who_punched_woman_19_near_rutge.html



Now, remember that the kid also threw a basketball at the teacher. I think he threw it at his legs. So, the teacher's best case is to say that the kid was the aggressor. But there's limits to everything. Does throwing a basketball at someone's leg warrant a beat down? The teacher is much bigger than the kid. At one point, he was standing over him and smashing a phone against his face.

Dud he throw the ball first? If he did the teacher can claim self defense. The ball can be considered a weapon.


Yeah, he threw a basketball at him.

Self defense has its limits though. Yeah, the ball can be considered a weapon, but thing is, once it hit him and bounced away, it's no longer a weapon. Now, he's acting in retaliation, not as self defense. And when he got the kid into a vulnerable position, that was no longer self defense. He went off on the kids face with his cell phone.

So self defense has its limits.

If you watch the video again, the kid threw the ball, the teacher didn't react at all. It looked like it hit him in the arm or stomach. Didn't look to be super hard. The kid kept talking. The teacher walked away. Kid threw the ball at the 2 second mark of this clip.

At the 1:10 mark, the teacher swung.

And if you listen to what the kid was saying, it wasn't even a racial verbal abuse.

The kid kept on saying "Did you say that (bleep) bro? Did you say that mah nigg*h, did you say that mah nigg*h? Come on, tell it to my face, I'm waiting. People said you said it, so say it to my face."

So it wasn't even a bunch of racial insults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyu9R7lmz2Q

Here's the transcript. Looks like it wasn't a racial verbal assault. He used racially charged words but it was more about being confrontational and being thuggish than trying to attack the teacher's racial identity. Looks like the student was using "bro" and "mah n*ggah" interchangeably. I don't get the sense that the teacher swung because he was being called the N-word. I get the sense that he swung because the kid was confronting him in a rude and extremely hostile manner while talking down to him and cussing at him.

Quote:
Call me f*cked up bro. [throws the basketball at the teacher]

Call me f*cked up n*gg*. You got me f*cked up bro [gets right into teacher’s face. Teacher remaining calm]

Call me my momma bro. Call my momma bro.

Why your voice cracking mah n*ggah. [teacher smirks, turns around and walks to the other end of the class]

Come on bro, yeah. Walk the f*ck back n*ggah.

[can’t make out, something about you better n*ggah, come on bro]

You got me f*cked up n*ggah.

You got me bent b*tch [edit]. What the f*ck?

Bro come on bro, did you really say that sh*t bro? Come on bro, everybody saying that sh*t mah n*ggah.

[sounds like teacher says “they’re lying”]

Bro, they ain’t lying sh*t bro, stop lying mah n*ggah, you the one lying bro.

Call my mom bro, stop frontin’ mah n*ggah.

You know you said that sh*t bro.

Bro, say the truth bro, I’m right here bro. Everybody watching mah n*ggah, what’s up?

[I think teacher says – “I already told you”]

You ain’t tell me sh*t. [mumbles something]

Man you a hoe azz b*tch bro, mah n*ggah.

Come on cuz, why you shakin bro?

So you say that sh*t or what’s up bro? You say that sh*t bro? you say that sh*t or what? I’m telling you right….. [teacher throws the punch]


Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 45208
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
OK. The kid swung back. Does that not make them equally culprit?


Well, we know criminally, no because only one person was arrested.

Now, civilly, possibly. But, usually in civil court, if you're wrong criminally, you're going to be wrong civilly as well.

The person that swings back has a self defense excuse. The person that swings first doesn't. There's no self defense for verbal attacks.

There's also the matter that more is expected of an adult and a teacher to keep a level head than it is for a 14 year old.

----------------------------

Remember the girl from New Jersey, college student that swung on a guy and he swung back. She fell and hit her head on the pavement and suffered brain damage. The police never pressed charges on him, because they determined she was the aggressor and he had a right to defend himself.

Quote:
NEW BRUNSWICK -- Police will not file charges against the man who punched a 19-year-old woman in the face outside a party near Rutgers in an incident that has left her hospitalized for more than a week.

New Brunswick police Capt. J.T. Miller said Wednesday that police have determined Emily Rand was the aggressor in the incident that left her with a fractured skull after she was knocked to the ground by the punch.

Emily Rand, 19, of South Amboy suffered a fractured skull after being punched by a man in New Brunswick last weekend.


https://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/11/no_charges_for_man_who_punched_woman_19_near_rutge.html



Now, remember that the kid also threw a basketball at the teacher. I think he threw it at his legs. So, the teacher's best case is to say that the kid was the aggressor. But there's limits to everything. Does throwing a basketball at someone's leg warrant a beat down? The teacher is much bigger than the kid. At one point, he was standing over him and smashing a phone against his face.

Dud he throw the ball first? If he did the teacher can claim self defense. The ball can be considered a weapon.


Yeah, he threw a basketball at him.

Self defense has its limits though. Yeah, the ball can be considered a weapon, but thing is, once it hit him and bounced away, it's no longer a weapon. Now, he's acting in retaliation, not as self defense. And when he got the kid into a vulnerable position, that was no longer self defense. He went off on the kids face with his cell phone.

So self defense has its limits.

If you watch the video again, the kid threw the ball, the teacher didn't react at all. It looked like it hit him in the arm or stomach. Didn't look to be super hard. The kid kept talking. The teacher walked away. Kid threw the ball at the 2 second mark of this clip.

At the 1:10 mark, the teacher swung.

And if you listen to what the kid was saying, it wasn't even a racial verbal abuse.

The kid kept on saying "Did you say that (bleep) bro? Did you say that mah nigg*h, did you say that mah nigg*h? Come on, tell it to my face, I'm waiting. People said you said it, so say it to my face."

So it wasn't even a bunch of racial insults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyu9R7lmz2Q

Here's the transcript. Looks like it wasn't a racial verbal assault. He used racially charged words but it was more about being confrontational and being thuggish than trying to attack the teacher's racial identity. Looks like the student was using "bro" and "mah n*ggah" interchangeably. I don't get the sense that the teacher swung because he was being called the N-word. I get the sense that he swung because the kid was confronting him in a rude and extremely hostile manner while talking down to him and cussing at him.

Quote:
Call me f*cked up bro. [throws the basketball at the teacher]

Call me f*cked up n*gg*. You got me f*cked up bro [gets right into teacher’s face. Teacher remaining calm]

Call me my momma bro. Call my momma bro.

Why your voice cracking mah n*ggah. [teacher smirks, turns around and walks to the other end of the class]

Come on bro, yeah. Walk the f*ck back n*ggah.

[can’t make out, something about you better n*ggah, come on bro]

You got me f*cked up n*ggah.

Call me bean b*tch? [can’t make out] What the f*ck?

Bro come on bro, did you really say that sh*t bro? Come on bro, everybody saying that sh*t mah n*ggah.

[sounds like teacher says “they’re lying”]

Bro, they ain’t lying sh*t bro, stop lying mah n*ggah, you the one lying bro.

Call my mom bro, stop frontin’ mah n*ggah.

You know you said that sh*t bro.

Bro, say the truth bro, I’m right here bro. Everybody watching mah n*ggah, what’s up?

[I think teacher says – “I already told you”]

You ain’t tell me sh*t. [mumbles something]

Man you a hoe azz b*tch bro, mah n*ggah.

Come on cuz, why you shakin bro?

So you say that sh*t or what’s up bro? You say that sh*t bro? you say that sh*t or what? I’m telling you right….. [teacher throws the punch]

If all you post is true the teacher is more at fault because he's supposed to be the professional. It seems like he lost it. I can't excuse his behavior. Did he lose his job?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

If all you post is true the teacher is more at fault because he's supposed to be the professional. It seems like he lost it. I can't excuse his behavior. Did he lose his job?


No word yet. Can't see how he can keep his job after this. He's going to be convicted criminally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41595
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
OK. The kid swung back. Does that not make them equally culprit?


Well, we know criminally, no because only one person was arrested.

Now, civilly, possibly. But, usually in civil court, if you're wrong criminally, you're going to be wrong civilly as well.

The person that swings back has a self defense excuse. The person that swings first doesn't. There's no self defense for verbal attacks.

There's also the matter that more is expected of an adult and a teacher to keep a level head than it is for a 14 year old.

----------------------------

Remember the girl from New Jersey, college student that swung on a guy and he swung back. She fell and hit her head on the pavement and suffered brain damage. The police never pressed charges on him, because they determined she was the aggressor and he had a right to defend himself.

Quote:
NEW BRUNSWICK -- Police will not file charges against the man who punched a 19-year-old woman in the face outside a party near Rutgers in an incident that has left her hospitalized for more than a week.

New Brunswick police Capt. J.T. Miller said Wednesday that police have determined Emily Rand was the aggressor in the incident that left her with a fractured skull after she was knocked to the ground by the punch.

Emily Rand, 19, of South Amboy suffered a fractured skull after being punched by a man in New Brunswick last weekend.


https://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/11/no_charges_for_man_who_punched_woman_19_near_rutge.html



Now, remember that the kid also threw a basketball at the teacher. I think he threw it at his legs. So, the teacher's best case is to say that the kid was the aggressor. But there's limits to everything. Does throwing a basketball at someone's leg warrant a beat down? The teacher is much bigger than the kid. At one point, he was standing over him and smashing a phone against his face.

Dud he throw the ball first? If he did the teacher can claim self defense. The ball can be considered a weapon.


Yeah, he threw a basketball at him.

Self defense has its limits though. Yeah, the ball can be considered a weapon, but thing is, once it hit him and bounced away, it's no longer a weapon. Now, he's acting in retaliation, not as self defense. And when he got the kid into a vulnerable position, that was no longer self defense. He went off on the kids face with his cell phone.

So self defense has its limits.

If you watch the video again, the kid threw the ball, the teacher didn't react at all. It looked like it hit him in the arm or stomach. Didn't look to be super hard. The kid kept talking. The teacher walked away. Kid threw the ball at the 2 second mark of this clip.

At the 1:10 mark, the teacher swung.

And if you listen to what the kid was saying, it wasn't even a racial verbal abuse.

The kid kept on saying "Did you say that (bleep) bro? Did you say that mah nigg*h, did you say that mah nigg*h? Come on, tell it to my face, I'm waiting. People said you said it, so say it to my face."

So it wasn't even a bunch of racial insults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyu9R7lmz2Q

Here's the transcript. Looks like it wasn't a racial verbal assault. He used racially charged words but it was more about being confrontational and being thuggish than trying to attack the teacher's racial identity. Looks like the student was using "bro" and "mah n*ggah" interchangeably. I don't get the sense that the teacher swung because he was being called the N-word. I get the sense that he swung because the kid was confronting him in a rude and extremely hostile manner while talking down to him and cussing at him.

Quote:
Call me f*cked up bro. [throws the basketball at the teacher]

Call me f*cked up n*gg*. You got me f*cked up bro [gets right into teacher’s face. Teacher remaining calm]

Call me my momma bro. Call my momma bro.

Why your voice cracking mah n*ggah. [teacher smirks, turns around and walks to the other end of the class]

Come on bro, yeah. Walk the f*ck back n*ggah.

[can’t make out, something about you better n*ggah, come on bro]

You got me f*cked up n*ggah.

Call me bean b*tch? [can’t make out] What the f*ck?

Bro come on bro, did you really say that sh*t bro? Come on bro, everybody saying that sh*t mah n*ggah.

[sounds like teacher says “they’re lying”]

Bro, they ain’t lying sh*t bro, stop lying mah n*ggah, you the one lying bro.

Call my mom bro, stop frontin’ mah n*ggah.

You know you said that sh*t bro.

Bro, say the truth bro, I’m right here bro. Everybody watching mah n*ggah, what’s up?

[I think teacher says – “I already told you”]

You ain’t tell me sh*t. [mumbles something]

Man you a hoe azz b*tch bro, mah n*ggah.

Come on cuz, why you shakin bro?

So you say that sh*t or what’s up bro? You say that sh*t bro? you say that sh*t or what? I’m telling you right….. [teacher throws the punch]

If all you post is true the teacher is more at fault because he's supposed to be the professional. It seems like he lost it. I can't excuse his behavior. Did he lose his job?


Ah-hem (quote tree)!


_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 45208
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If all you post is true the teacher is more at fault because he's supposed to be the professional. It seems like he lost it. I can't excuse his behavior. Did he lose his job?


No word yet. Can't see how he can keep his job after this. He's going to be convicted criminally.

Thanks for cutting down the tree. It was beginning to dominate the page.

I gave a excusing reason based on a worded conversation I thought took place. A reason your post said take another look. Did you get the conversation from listening to the video? I'd like to hear the source of your post.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 45208
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote.

Quote:
Ah-hem (quote tree)!


OK, I'm guilty.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If all you post is true the teacher is more at fault because he's supposed to be the professional. It seems like he lost it. I can't excuse his behavior. Did he lose his job?


No word yet. Can't see how he can keep his job after this. He's going to be convicted criminally.

Thanks for cutting down the tree. It was beginning to dominate the page.

I gave a excusing reason based on a worded conversation I thought took place. A reason your post said take another look. Did you get the conversation from listening to the video? I'd like to hear the source of your post.


yeah, I posted the link to the video. Look above the transcript. I got that transcript from the video as best as I can make it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyu9R7lmz2Q
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 45208
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If all you post is true the teacher is more at fault because he's supposed to be the professional. It seems like he lost it. I can't excuse his behavior. Did he lose his job?


No word yet. Can't see how he can keep his job after this. He's going to be convicted criminally.

Thanks for cutting down the tree. It was beginning to dominate the page.

I gave a excusing reason based on a worded conversation I thought took place. A reason your post said take another look. Did you get the conversation from listening to the video? I'd like to hear the source of your post.



yeah, I posted the link to the video. Look above the transcript. I got that transcript from the video as best as I can make it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyu9R7lmz2Q


Man, you got some good ears. I can't make out most of the conversation.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.


Last edited by jodeke on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If all you post is true the teacher is more at fault because he's supposed to be the professional. It seems like he lost it. I can't excuse his behavior. Did he lose his job?


No word yet. Can't see how he can keep his job after this. He's going to be convicted criminally.

Thanks for cutting down the tree. It was beginning to dominate the page.

I gave a excusing reason based on a worded conversation I thought took place. A reason your post said take another look. Did you get the conversation from listening to the video? I'd like to hear the source of your post.

Man, you got some good ears. I can't make out most of the conversation.

yeah, I posted the link to the video. Look above the transcript. I got that transcript from the video as best as I can make it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyu9R7lmz2Q


You're probably using your phone's speakers? I used some good headphones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 17263

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

I'm for the teacher. That kid is a nasty little bastard who needed some paternal guidance to his jaw. Deserved to be KO'd, frankly. Screw laws, anyway! Laws are booooring.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Nov 2005
Posts: 3895

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I'm for the teacher. That kid is a nasty little bastard who needed some paternal guidance to his jaw. Deserved to be KO'd, frankly. Screw laws, anyway! Laws are booooring.
yep, im 42, i got into it with a few teachers as a kid, but i would never say anything unless a teacher was the one initiating stuff. Once i had to go pee really bad and the teacher said i couldn't go, i was like ugh, (bleep) that, i got up and left. I had to go super bad. My high school for lunch we were allowed off campus because there was tons of fast food restaurants surrounding it, and i had walked to the 7/11 and had a super big gulp (mountain dew). When i got back, he was so mad, said if i ever disrespected him in front of the class again like that, he would nail my ass too the wall. I said, well i had too pee, but (bleep) you and i walked out of his class again, but i just walked straight the principles office! lol They put me in a new class. Me and the principle were on good terms, she was nice. lol

Anyways, that kid was pressing the teacher way too (bleep) much. Not many people would be able to remain calm like that. Its not like the kid just said a few words and bailed. He just kept on and on and on. That kids parents failed him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9784

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject:

Just playing devil's advocate, after reading the transcript, it actually looks more like the way the kid talk more than racially directed to a black person (but I'm not a black person hearing the N-word), does this transcript change what you think as far as racial justification for the teacher's action? would you view it differently if the exact same words were thrown by this student to an ethnic Indian teacher?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
I'm for the teacher. That kid is a nasty little bastard who needed some paternal guidance to his jaw. Deserved to be KO'd, frankly. Screw laws, anyway! Laws are booooring.
yep, im 42, i got into it with a few teachers as a kid, but i would never say anything unless a teacher was the one initiating stuff. Once i had to go pee really bad and the teacher said i couldn't go, i was like ugh, (bleep) that, i got up and left. I had to go super bad. My high school for lunch we were allowed off campus because there was tons of fast food restaurants surrounding it, and i had walked to the 7/11 and had a super big gulp (mountain dew). When i got back, he was so mad, said if i ever disrespected him in front of the class again like that, he would nail my ass too the wall. I said, well i had too pee, but (bleep) you and i walked out of his class again, but i just walked straight the principles office! lol They put me in a new class. Me and the principle were on good terms, she was nice. lol

Anyways, that kid was pressing the teacher way too (bleep) much. Not many people would be able to remain calm like that. Its not like the kid just said a few words and bailed. He just kept on and on and on. That kids parents failed him.


That's the thing. You're not supposed to stand there for 1 min 10 sec and let the student talk to you like that while you seethe inside.

First time he mouths off, you tell him to go to the principals office. If he's unwilling, you get on the phone and call security to come escort him out of the classroom immediately. As soon as the student threw the ball at the teacher, that conversation should have been over. He should have been on the phone calling for security right away.

You're 64 years old. You know your limits. You know how much verbal abuse you can take. You know your temper. You can't just stand there and seethe and take all that abuse and just let your temper boil over until you can't control it.

If the kid was unwilling to leave, then the teacher should walk over to the principals office and get the principal, or get security. He should have gotten out of that situation before his tempers flared like that.

But, that teacher was just going to stand there and take it and that student wasn't going to stop berating him. It could have been the 2 min mark, the 3 min mark, or even the 10 min mark. That teacher was just going to stand there and seethe until he couldn't take it anymore. That was a bad strategy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3295

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Just playing devil's advocate, after reading the transcript, it actually looks more like the way the kid talk more than racially directed to a black person (but I'm not a black person hearing the N-word), does this transcript change what you think as far as racial justification for the teacher's action? would you view it differently if the exact same words were thrown by this student to an ethnic Indian teacher?
it doesnt matter how we see it. the teacher is from a different generation. a generation that doesnt like the N word used in an context period. so it doesnt matter to his ears. if that was a younger teacher, it may have changed that part of it. but the kid still may have been popped upside the head, probably much faster if it was a younger teacher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kcxiv
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Nov 2005
Posts: 3895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
I'm for the teacher. That kid is a nasty little bastard who needed some paternal guidance to his jaw. Deserved to be KO'd, frankly. Screw laws, anyway! Laws are booooring.
yep, im 42, i got into it with a few teachers as a kid, but i would never say anything unless a teacher was the one initiating stuff. Once i had to go pee really bad and the teacher said i couldn't go, i was like ugh, (bleep) that, i got up and left. I had to go super bad. My high school for lunch we were allowed off campus because there was tons of fast food restaurants surrounding it, and i had walked to the 7/11 and had a super big gulp (mountain dew). When i got back, he was so mad, said if i ever disrespected him in front of the class again like that, he would nail my ass too the wall. I said, well i had too pee, but (bleep) you and i walked out of his class again, but i just walked straight the principles office! lol They put me in a new class. Me and the principle were on good terms, she was nice. lol

Anyways, that kid was pressing the teacher way too (bleep) much. Not many people would be able to remain calm like that. Its not like the kid just said a few words and bailed. He just kept on and on and on. That kids parents failed him.


That's the thing. You're not supposed to stand there for 1 min 10 sec and let the student talk to you like that while you seethe inside.

First time he mouths off, you tell him to go to the principals office. If he's unwilling, you get on the phone and call security to come escort him out of the classroom immediately. As soon as the student threw the ball at the teacher, that conversation should have been over. He should have been on the phone calling for security right away.

You're 64 years old. You know your limits. You know how much verbal abuse you can take. You know your temper. You can't just stand there and seethe and take all that abuse and just let your temper boil over until you can't control it.

If the kid was unwilling to leave, then the teacher should walk over to the principals office and get the principal, or get security. He should have gotten out of that situation before his tempers flared like that.

But, that teacher was just going to stand there and take it and that student wasn't going to stop berating him. It could have been the 2 min mark, the 3 min mark, or even the 10 min mark. That teacher was just going to stand there and seethe until he couldn't take it anymore. That was a bad strategy.
after the fact we can all so we would do this, or we are supposed to do that, but in the moment, sometimes it doesnt work that way. hell, All the video's and research i have done on this stand behind the teacher and said the student was a douchebag.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 6212

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Incidents like this are a symptom of something much bigger. In a first world society, there should be some balance of individualism and collectivism.

Individualism <-----------------------------------------> Collectivism


The U.S. has shifted very far to the left in terms of individualism. Everything is based upon an individuals rights, which is not surprising as that's how many important aspects of the Constitution was worded. But our country's love for suing wherever we get a chance also has brought us to extreme individualism. Everyone is afraid of infringing on each other's religious beliefs, cultural beliefs, sexual preference, etc.

In countries like Japan, their society is shifted more towards the opposite end of the spectrum. Children as young as first grade will take the train to school alone because collectively, the parents know society will look out for them. In a small town, it is not uncommon for members of that community to volunteer on a rotational basis for such duties as trash management and traffic light guards. They know that they are helping their neighbors, which in turn will help them.

Of course that isnt to say collectivism is great either. You lose personal identity and life can be stressful knowing everyone can be in your business. Hence, the high suicide rates in Japan. What's less known is that the U.S. has approached a similar suicide rate per capita to Japan.

With that said, students nowadays know exactly what their teachers and school official can or cannot do. We say kids these days are ignorant but they know how to play the system. Ultimately, a kid who eggs on his teacher like this, know he cant really lose. One, he gets the teacher to fight him and he comes out the victor. Two, the teacher doesnt fight him and he looks like a tough guy to his peers. In either scenario, he knows he will not face consequences beyond a slap on the wrist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 17095

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
I'm for the teacher. That kid is a nasty little bastard who needed some paternal guidance to his jaw. Deserved to be KO'd, frankly. Screw laws, anyway! Laws are booooring.
yep, im 42, i got into it with a few teachers as a kid, but i would never say anything unless a teacher was the one initiating stuff. Once i had to go pee really bad and the teacher said i couldn't go, i was like ugh, (bleep) that, i got up and left. I had to go super bad. My high school for lunch we were allowed off campus because there was tons of fast food restaurants surrounding it, and i had walked to the 7/11 and had a super big gulp (mountain dew). When i got back, he was so mad, said if i ever disrespected him in front of the class again like that, he would nail my ass too the wall. I said, well i had too pee, but (bleep) you and i walked out of his class again, but i just walked straight the principles office! lol They put me in a new class. Me and the principle were on good terms, she was nice. lol

Anyways, that kid was pressing the teacher way too (bleep) much. Not many people would be able to remain calm like that. Its not like the kid just said a few words and bailed. He just kept on and on and on. That kids parents failed him.


That's the thing. You're not supposed to stand there for 1 min 10 sec and let the student talk to you like that while you seethe inside.

First time he mouths off, you tell him to go to the principals office. If he's unwilling, you get on the phone and call security to come escort him out of the classroom immediately. As soon as the student threw the ball at the teacher, that conversation should have been over. He should have been on the phone calling for security right away.

You're 64 years old. You know your limits. You know how much verbal abuse you can take. You know your temper. You can't just stand there and seethe and take all that abuse and just let your temper boil over until you can't control it.

If the kid was unwilling to leave, then the teacher should walk over to the principals office and get the principal, or get security. He should have gotten out of that situation before his tempers flared like that.

But, that teacher was just going to stand there and take it and that student wasn't going to stop berating him. It could have been the 2 min mark, the 3 min mark, or even the 10 min mark. That teacher was just going to stand there and seethe until he couldn't take it anymore. That was a bad strategy.


The clip leaves out a lot of back story. The whole thing started after the teacher asked him to leave the classroom due to improper attire. He refused and started mouthing off and would not back down. The teacher had someone get security - security almost made it in time. The kid continued to blow up on him. Just adding some details. After that, I agree, he should have left the room, and I would've just announced class was cancelled.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9784

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-charged-fistfight-student-caught-145714519.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 45208
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/teacher-charged-fistfight-student-caught-145714519.html


Quote:
A music teacher at Maywood Academy High School in California has been charged with Hitting a student earlier this month. Multiple students have defended 64-year-old Marston Riley saying the teacher was provoked with racial slurs.


What does that mean? Does that lessen the charge? Is it assault? What's the charge?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Marston Riley, the Los Angeles high school music teacher who was caught on camera punching a teenage student earlier this month, has been charged.

On Friday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced in a news release that the 64-year-old was charged with one misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a child.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penal Code 273d PC is California's law against child abuse. Also known as “corporal injury on a child,” this section makes it a crime to impose physical injury or cruel punishment on a child.

Punishment for child abuse in California
Corporal injury on a child is a so-called California "wobbler" offense. This means that the prosecutor can charge it as either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on: (1) the facts of the alleged offense, and (2) the defendant's criminal history, if any.

Misdemeanor penalties
If charged as a misdemeanor, Penal Code 273d child abuse can be punished by:

Up to one (1) year in county jail, and/or
A fine of up to $6,000.

Felony penalties
As a felony, this section carries potential penalties of:

2, 4 or 6 years in jail (plus an additional 4 years if the defendant has a prior felonly child abuse conviction within the preceding 10 years),

and/or a fine of up to $6,000.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

Yeah there's going to be a huge settlement between the school and the kid. This kid's going to get rich.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 17095

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yeah there's going to be a huge settlement between the school and the kid. This kid's going to get rich.


I understand that teachers should be held to a higher standard, but this kid provoked him by repeatedly calling him the n-word and disrespecting him worse than anybody on this board would do a teacher, and he gets rich due to his racist remarks that got him punched?

God bless america
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 3074

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yeah there's going to be a huge settlement between the school and the kid. This kid's going to get rich.


I understand that teachers should be held to a higher standard, but this kid provoked him by repeatedly calling him the n-word and disrespecting him worse than anybody on this board would do a teacher, and he gets rich due to his racist remarks that got him punched?

God bless america


Yeah, the crime he's being charged with has nothing to do with him being a teacher. This is child abuse law and it applies to all adults vs. a child.

Now, the kid will get rich because he's going to sue the school. I think this would probably play out the same way in Canada, or the UK, or South Africa, or Australia. (Countries with similar legal systems). Just a guess though, I have no idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 17095

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yeah there's going to be a huge settlement between the school and the kid. This kid's going to get rich.


I understand that teachers should be held to a higher standard, but this kid provoked him by repeatedly calling him the n-word and disrespecting him worse than anybody on this board would do a teacher, and he gets rich due to his racist remarks that got him punched?

God bless america


Yeah, the crime he's being charged with has nothing to do with him being a teacher. This is child abuse law and it applies to all adults vs. a child.

Now, the kid will get rich because he's going to sue the school. I think this would probably play out the same way in Canada, or the UK, or South Africa, or Australia. (Countries with similar legal systems). Just a guess though, I have no idea.


The teacher being charged is another topic, I'm just looking at the prospect of the kid getting rich. The UK is not big on frivolous lawsuits, I thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB