Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

*breathes a sigh of relief*

Thanks GOD it wasn't us.

I can't even fathom what Trout is going to get. Not that WAR is the end all be all but Trout's literally 2-3x the player over the course of their careers.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Just from a consistency basis. Trout is the ONLY player I think deserving of a 10 yr deal
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Just from a consistency basis. Trout is the ONLY player I think deserving of a 10 yr deal

Yep. Made the comment before that Kershaw (healthy and regular season) and Mike Trout are the 2 players in all of baseball that are consistently in the MVP or Cy Young debate. Every. Single. Year.

A guy like Bryce Harper? One time.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
YSong wrote:

Yep. Made the comment before that Kershaw (healthy and regular season) and Mike Trout are the 2 players in all of baseball that are consistently in the MVP or Cy Young debate. Every. Single. Year.

Mookie Betts is legitimately in that conversation too. The Sox are in a hard place they have to sign him and Bogaertz coming up. Their big deal for Price is killing them and nobody is going to take that off their hands. That's why they didn't re sign Kimbrell or Kelly. If Harper is worth more than 300 mill what is Betts worth?
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
YSong wrote:

Mookie Betts is legitimately in that conversation too. The Sox are in a hard place they have to sign him and Bogaertz coming up. Their big deal for Price is killing them and nobody is going to take that off their hands. That's why they didn't re sign Kimbrell or Kelly. If Harper is worth more than 300 mill what is Betts worth?

Disagree. Betts needs to do what he’s doing for another 3-4 yrs
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
YSong wrote:

5 years in the majors at age 25 he has a career average .888 OPS and is elite defender in right. Believe me he will get paid next year unless extended. He has the ability to play center at an elite level as well but they have Jackie Bradley Jr. there now. If I'm picking between Harper, Machado and Betts I pick Betts everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
YSong wrote:

Why 3-4 years? He just got $20M, which is "a new standard for players with four or more years of service."

He has one more year of arbitration next year and then he's a free agent.

He'll be a free agent the same year as Mike Trout (after 2020).

He doesn't need 3-4 yrs of production. Just 2 more years and he'll easily be over $350M.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
5 years in the majors at age 25 he has a career average .888 OPS and is elite defender in right. Believe me he will get paid next year unless extended. He has the ability to play center at an elite level as well but they have Jackie Bradley Jr. there now. If I'm picking between Harper, Machado and Betts I pick Betts everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I agree that Betts seems like about as safe of a bet a team could make on big long term deal. (see what I did there ) That said, I would feel better with another year or 2 with similar numbers to last season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
But yes, the position players look to be solid. The only position where the team is weak, is catcher, and the pick-ins' were slim to none, unless one wanted to overpay. Besides they have three pretty good ones in the minors looking to break out.

Dodgers could probably bring back Kyle Farmer....appears it will be difficult for him to make the Reds roster....I would assume they keep Casali to backup Barnhardt. Btw, if you like Barnhardt, I am sure we could work out a straight up deal for Kershaw?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Betts has basically been an MVP-level player in 2 of his last 3 seasons. Another MVP-type year this year and he's cemented even further as a superstar. You'd have to value him second in baseball behind Trout right now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
why has there been basically no news about Dallas Keuchel or Craig Kimbrel in months?

There are some very concerning issues with Kimbrel. He wants a 5-year deal but he might only be good for one or two more years. I think if he were willing to go on a 2 or even 3-year deal, he'd see some suitors.

Keuchel has the same concerns with the term length.

I would be ok if my team (Reds) offered Keuchel 3 years @ $60 Million....I think I would even be ok with going 4 years @ $60 Million for Kimbrel since Bell said he plans to not only utilize Iglesias as a closer.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Any Dodger fans have any insight on Connor Joe? The Reds picked him up in the Rule 5 draft from the Dodgers, and it seems like they are fairly high on him making the roster. The only thing I can really find out about him is he has basically played every position on the field including Catcher recently, but have no real insight to if he is good at any of them. Appears to have been a solid hitter with your minor league teams recently.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Bleacher Report and MLB both rank the Dodgers' starters as being the second best rotations, though neither of these agree on the number one team rotation.

just FYI, saw an article on MLB.com last week that projected the Dodgers to have the best pitching staff in MLB.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dodgers-best-pitching-in-mlb/c-303844860
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
YSong wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
YSong wrote:

Why 3-4 years? He just got $20M, which is "a new standard for players with four or more years of service."

He doesn't need 3-4 yrs of production. Just 2 more years and he'll easily be over $350M.

No doubt he'll get paid big time. But to be considered in the same conversation as Trout he'll have to keep it up. Trout's been putting up GOAT level #'s for 8 years without missing a single beat.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Guess the full rebuild Dbags will be the new doormat in the NL West since the Madres got Manny. Here's hoping Bryce decides to take his talents outside the NL, don't want the Giants getting ideas about competing like the Madres did.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

MLB Set to Pass New Rules Designed to Crack Down on Sign Stealing

Quote:
Major League Baseball is cracking down on high-tech sign stealing. It is banning all non-broadcast outfield cameras from foul pole to foul pole as well as tightening restrictions on in-house video, several sources familiar with the new rules told SI. Teams violating the protocols face penalties that include the loss of draft picks and international spending money.

Commissioner Rob Manfred believed the restrictions were necessary because high-tech sign stealing grew more prevalent and slowed the pace of play because of the paranoia it engendered. Last November general managers thoroughly endorsed the adopting of such rules rather than engage in what they saw as a coming “high-tech arms race to cheat,” according to one source.

LINK
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
YSong wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
YSong wrote:

No doubt he'll get paid big time. But to be considered in the same conversation as Trout he'll have to keep it up. Trout's been putting up GOAT level #'s for 8 years without missing a single beat.

Yeah, depends on what we're talking about here.

The original statement was that Trout is the only player that deserves a 10 yr deal. Betts is certainly in that category of deserving a 10 yr deal.

Now, you changed up the topic a bit, talking about Kershaw and Trout being consistent Cy Young and MVP condidates.

Yeah, Betts isn't in Trout's stratosphere when you compare resumes. But, money wise, Betts is going to get there.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Machado to the Padres.

appears he got his $300 Million

10 years, 300 million-- the largest contract in North American sports history.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/manny-machado-san-diego-padres-agree-to-record-breaking-10-year-deal-reports-say/

Why were teams so desperate to get him? He really didn't look that good in the World Series, playoffs, or even regular season... Turner was better. Where does Machado rank among MLB players?

The fact that it took this long for him to get a deal, and he ended up with Padres, seems to indicate that teams were not at all desperate to get him. And his antics in the postseason probably had a lot to do with that.

The only reason the Padres even had a chance at him was because they were dumb enough to give him the contract he wanted.

Other teams probably weren’t desperate but the Padres are desperate to give him this deal. What a joke. They are going to want to shoot themselves for giving him that. How do the other Padres players feel about this? It’s a good move to help the Dodgers.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject:

Must be nice to get $300 million and get October off for the next 10 years.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Other teams probably weren’t desperate but the Padres are desperate to give him this deal. What a joke. They are going to want to shoot themselves for giving him that. How do the other Padres players feel about this? It’s a good move to help the Dodgers.

what does not make sense to me is 2 of their top prospects from their deep farm system are shortstops. Or will they play Machado @ 3rd?

I did not like the deal at first, but it could work out well for them if a lot of that young talent they have stockpiled in the minors and expected to move up over the next 2 years actually performs as projected. Much of their lineup could be made up of young cheap talent in a couple years.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

Sources told Passan that Chicago's offer to Machado could have been richer than San Diego's had the four-time All-Star reached certain incentives. The final offer from the White Sox was for eight years and $250 million, but the deal also included a pair of options that could have increased the total value to $320 million, according to Passan.

Had Machado stayed healthy throughout the deal, the likelihood is that Chicago's offer would've been worth around $340 million, sources told Passan. Machado instead opted for the guaranteed money from San Diego.

"I'm wearing my shades, so you can't see the shock in my eyes," White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams said Tuesday after news of Machado's decision was reported. "Very surprised. There are a few other words you could put on that, but still in a little bit of disbelief. ... I honestly believe we had the best offer on the table."
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Sources told Passan that Chicago's offer to Machado could have been richer than San Diego's had the four-time All-Star reached certain incentives. The final offer from the White Sox was for eight years and $250 million, but the deal also included a pair of options that could have increased the total value to $320 million, according to Passan.

Had Machado stayed healthy throughout the deal, the likelihood is that Chicago's offer would've been worth around $340 million, sources told Passan. Machado instead opted for the guaranteed money from San Diego.

"I'm wearing my shades, so you can't see the shock in my eyes," White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams said Tuesday after news of Machado's decision was reported. "Very surprised. There are a few other words you could put on that, but still in a little bit of disbelief. ... I honestly believe we had the best offer on the table."

Well Mr. "I'm not Johnny Hustle" took the deal that didn't have incentives so he's living up to the nickname. Why work extra for your contract when you can get almost the same deal without the hustle.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

True, but can you really blame a guy for taking an extra $50 million guaranteed? One injury and it's bye-bye to the additional 40 million.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
True, but can you really blame a guy for taking an extra $50 million guaranteed? One injury and it's bye-bye to the additional 40 million.

Yeah, relatively speaking, a possible $4M extra a year isn't worth giving up a guaranteed $5M every year.

I just really dislike him, he's right there with Darvish in my book.
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject:

And getting to live in San Diego...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 37 of 248
Jump to: