View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28476780/houston-astros-jeff-luhnow-aj-hinch-suspended-1-season

Since it seems like the GM wasn’t aware, it seems like MLB took their shot to punish Luhnow for other things. Their statements dismiss his culture while going out of their way to absolve the owner of blame.

I wonder what the Red Sox penalties will be. Since they are a major market team, I assume it won’t be as significant.

Looks like the owner fired both

That's not surprising. They're not allowed to work in baseball for a year anyways so why have them on staff and it probably was implicitly encouraged by Manfred as part of the "punishments".
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ribeye wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28476780/houston-astros-jeff-luhnow-aj-hinch-suspended-1-season

Interesting says Yu Darvish and Clayton Kershaw

I do hope when we have the next rag on the Dodgers, and/or some specific player(s), for not winning it all, that some perspective is considered.

Agreed. How someone can get joy from bashing Kershaw is beyond me. I will always defend him. He was robbed of so much.

Agree. Now this possibly puts into question other Kershaw post-season lowlights, what with Luhnow formerly working in the cards' organization. How far back does it go for this guy, who's just a lightning rod for controversy?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Astros hitters deserve baseballs thrown at their heads. The thought of the pigs squealing against one another as highlighted in the full report is hilarious.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Damn this is depressing. Them cheating is the gift that keeps on giving. Two years in a row, man. Two years! Imagine being one of the players for the Dodgers.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't help the Dodgers unless they strip the World Series Titles and give them to us. Perhaps they should.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject:

Damn you Astros! Now I really feel bad for Kershaw and Yu
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Doesn't help the Dodgers unless they strip the World Series Titles and give them to us. Perhaps they should.

Don't want a tainted title awarded to the dodgers, but Astros definitely ought to be stripped of their title/pennants/MVP for their signgate scandal.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Don't want a tainted title awarded to the dodgers, but Astros definitely ought to be stripped of their title/pennants/MVP for their signgate scandal.

agreed, just strip Astro their "title"that's all i want. i don't want them to hand over the title to Dodgers either, because everyone would know by now who that title should belong to.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

I guess this could go in the MLB thread, but hey, this is a Lakers site and the Dodgers' are close enough for me.

At FiveThirtyEight, they have an article with a chart* entitled, The Astros** were outliers in improving at home, that shows the gain in power and strike outs at home from 2016 - 2019 for all the teams. No guesses are necessary on how this turns out.

* from Fangraphs
** aka The Cheaters
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I guess this could go in the MLB thread, but hey, this is a Lakers site and the Dodgers' are close enough for me.

At FiveThirtyEight, they have an article with a chart* entitled, The Astros** were outliers in improving at home, that shows the gain in power and strike outs at home from 2016 - 2019 for all the teams. No guesses are necessary on how this turns out.

* from Fangraphs
** aka The Cheaters

Well that pretty much says it all, doesn't it. God bless data science.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Vin Scully should have seen the boys win. I hope they can get another shot soon.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

[Sidebar] Given the events of the last 48 hourrs,

My hatred from seeing them lose to nationals 3 months ago is gone. Because after all the 2017/18 WS losses werent in vain and now we know the Dodgers played an A effort both times and their losses werent something they controlled, but new decade new hope i guess.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Houston sports is insufferable.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject:

Yu Darvish tweeted a joke about "if there is a 2017 championship parade can someone make me a 'Yu Garbage' jersey", which was great. He's had a really good sense of humor about the whole thing. It sucks that the fans scapegoated him and treated him so poorly (myself included). But the thing that hit me was his wife's reply, recounting how their 10 year old son was at the game and stayed there til the end of the game, using his hat to hide the tears in his eyes. Stuff like that just kills me and makes me so much more furious at the Astros and the league/Manfred.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Yu Darvish tweeted a joke about "if there is a 2017 championship parade can someone make me a 'Yu Garbage' jersey", which was great. He's had a really good sense of humor about the whole thing. It sucks that the fans scapegoated him and treated him so poorly (myself included). But the thing that hit me was his wife's reply, recounting how their 10 year old son was at the game and stayed there til the end of the game, using his hat to hide the tears in his eyes. Stuff like that just kills me and makes me so much more furious at the Astros and the league/Manfred.

Wow...that hurts.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

Game 7 was played at Dodger Stadium and the Astros did not use video to steal signs there. Darvish lasted 1 2/3 innings giving up 5 runs. Game 2 also played at Dodger stadium was lost by Roberts prematurely pulling Rich Hill who was killing it. Again no sign stealing.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Game 7 was played at Dodger Stadium and the Astros did not use video to steal signs there. Darvish lasted 1 2/3 innings giving up 5 runs. Game 2 also played at Dodger stadium was lost by Roberts prematurely pulling Rich Hill who was killing it. Again no sign stealing.

While there is nothing confirming or pointing towards them stealing signs on the road, they did steal them at home against Yu Darvish. He changed his pitching approach in game 7 due to the belief he was tipping pitches. Yu Darvish was lights out before game 3 in Houston. Had he not been forced to change what was working there might have been a different outcome in game 7.

And this isn't even taking into consideration that with sign stealing in game 5 (let alone 3) there is no game 7 necessary.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

While there is nothing confirming or pointing towards them stealing signs on the road, they did steal them at home against Yu Darvish. He changed his pitching approach in game 7 due to the belief he was tipping pitches. Yu Darvish was lights out before game 3 in Houston. Had he not been forced to change what was working there might have been a different outcome in game 7.

And this isn't even taking into consideration that with sign stealing in game 5 (let alone 3) there is no game 7 necessary.

A reasonable analysis.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

A reasonable analysis.

There is no way he should have pitched game 7. He got hammered in his previous start. Alex Wood pitched a really good game and should have started. Wood was the Dodgers most effective started in the series other than Hill.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
There is no way he should have pitched game 7. He got hammered in his previous start. Alex Wood pitched a really good game and should have started. Wood was the Dodgers most effective started in the series other than Hill.

Wood was successful since he changed up his signs quite a bit. I guess the Astericks couldn't quite figure it out despite their cheating. Plus, Wood would have been pitching on short rest, something he hasn't done. In hindsight though, you're correct in that he should have been the choice because of his absolute gem in game 4 despite the rest Darvish had to prepare.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

A reasonable analysis.

The belief after game 3 was that Yu was tipping his pitches, not that he was bad. He changed his approach because of this. I firmly believe that if game 3 was at Dodger Stadium he would have had a much different outing.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

A reasonable analysis.

The belief after game 3 was that Yu was tipping his pitches, not that he was bad. He changed his approach because of this. I firmly believe that if game 3 was at Dodger Stadium he would have had a much different outing.

Hindsight's 20/20. Darvish was lights out in the LDS and the LCS so I'm guessing our guys were attributing it as a 'one-off' performance and didn't think he'd have two bad outings in a row.

I'm ok with the decision to start him. But there is no way he should've gone back out in the second inning to let the deficit reach 5-0.

And RE: them not stealing signs on the road, Trevor Plouffe came out and said how they had a system with their bullpen coaches relaying signs from the pen so it's not out of the realm they pulled that off on the road.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/plouffe-becomes-latest-ex-mlber-to-implicate-astros-in-sign-stealing/ar-BBWLGqX
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

A reasonable analysis.

Hindsight's 20/20. Darvish was lights out in the LDS and the LCS so I'm guessing our guys were attributing it as a 'one-off' performance and didn't think he'd have two bad outings in a row.

I'm ok with the decision to start him. But there is no way he should've gone back out in the second inning to let the deficit reach 5-0.

And RE: them not stealing signs on the road, Trevor Plouffe came out and said how they had a system with their bullpen coaches relaying signs from the pen so it's not out of the realm they pulled that off on the road.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/plouffe-becomes-latest-ex-mlber-to-implicate-astros-in-sign-stealing/ar-BBWLGqX

Of course they did this! If they are cheating and seeing wild success doing it at home, of course they are going to try to figure out a way to do that on the road. Of freaking course!
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2020-01-14/legacies-clayton-kershaw-yu-darvish-irreparably-tarnished-astros-cheating

"The Astros stole that from him when they stole his signs." LAT

When Yu pitches at Chavez again he should get a standing ovation.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2020-01-14/legacies-clayton-kershaw-yu-darvish-irreparably-tarnished-astros-cheating

"The Astros stole that from him when they stole his signs." LAT

When Yu pitches at Chavez again he should get a standing ovation.

I'm down with that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 233, 234, 235 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 234 of 248
Jump to: