2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

Wow, A.J. Preller is an idiot. He started digging himself out of that hole he created a few years ago going all in, and now he's paying nearly 50 million dollars to both Machado and Hosmer for at least the next 4-5 years and more likely the next 7-8 years.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Machado to the Padres.

appears he got his $300 Million

10 years, 300 million-- the largest contract in North American sports history.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/manny-machado-san-diego-padres-agree-to-record-breaking-10-year-deal-reports-say/

Why were teams so desperate to get him? He really didn't look that good in the World Series, playoffs, or even regular season... Turner was better. Where does Machado rank among MLB players?

The fact that it took this long for him to get a deal, and he ended up with Padres, seems to indicate that teams were not at all desperate to get him. And his antics in the postseason probably had a lot to do with that.

The only reason the Padres even had a chance at him was because they were dumb enough to give him the contract he wanted.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

I give it at least a 70% chance that Machado mails it in now that he has this huge deal locked in.

Last edited by PHILosophize on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Machado is 8 years younger than JT

Yep they probably figure its worth it for them even if he only shows up for half the duration of that contract. The Padres haven't been relevant in ages so this is probably the shakeup they needed.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I give it at least a 70% chance that Machado mails it in now that he has this huge deal locked it.

He probably will, but it is still a horrible deal because all of these 10 year deals always look bad in the long run.

Maybe the Padres get a bit more out of him than some of these other 10 year deals we've seen because he's younger, but there's no doubt in my mind that the contract will be toxic before it finishes.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Machado is 8 years younger than JT

Yep they probably figure its worth it for them even if he only shows up for half the duration of that contract. The Padres haven't been relevant in ages so this is probably the shakeup they needed.

How'd those Matt Kemp and James Shields additions work for them?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

I am not an expert in baseball CBA issues, player valuations, etc., and I am sure that will catch many of you off guard since I am seen very much an expert in the business of basketball . If I was a GM, as a general rule, I am not giving out 10 year contracts of guaranteed money. I would think 6 or 7 years max....and that will still always be very risky for guaranteed money for an athlete.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

If I were the Padres, I would've much rather have spent big money on an impact starter like Keuchel. They can acquire all the offensive firepower they want, but until their young starters either grow up or they sign a starter or two that can hold their own, they aren't going anywhere. Their starting rotation is hot garbage.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
I give it at least a 70% chance that Machado mails it in now that he has this huge deal locked in.

You know, I don't think so. He'll keep doing what he's been doing. It's not like he's a crazy hustling type and never has been. His natural talent might allow him to average .290-35-100 in his prime. If he stays healthy, I mean, he'll pile up numbers. I wonder if his early-career knee issues changed his philosophy in terms of playing all-out.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:

Look for him to go full panda

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

why has there been basically no news about Dallas Keuchel or Craig Kimbrel in months?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

adkindo wrote:
I am not an expert in baseball CBA issues, player valuations, etc., and I am sure that will catch many of you off guard since I am seen very much an expert in the business of basketball . If I was a GM, as a general rule, I am not giving out 10 year contracts of guaranteed money. I would think 6 or 7 years max....and that will still always be very risky for guaranteed money for an athlete.

Definitely risky, but this is what a team like the Padres has to do to get a player of Machado's talent level. They had to throw out a huge offer. I certainly see the argument that such a deal is simply not worth it, however, but the Padres hardly have any money on their books going forward, even with the Hosmer deal.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
If I were the Padres, I would've much rather have spent big money on an impact starter like Keuchel. They can acquire all the offensive firepower they want, but until their young starters either grow up or they sign a starter or two that can hold their own, they aren't going anywhere. Their starting rotation is hot garbage.

The Cubs had no starting pitching, it appeared, when they signed Jon Lester. And they had a decent starting rotation almost overnight, and the next year they had one of the best rotations in baseball. It can change pretty quickly. Clearly, though, they don't have good starting pitching right now, I agree. And it remains to be seen if Padres ownership will spend heavily on a starting rotation. Perhaps if they look ready to contend, they will.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

Why didn't the Dodgers seem to make a serious attempt to retain Machado and have him or Seager play 2nd instead of Shortstop?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Don Newcombe has died at age 92, per the Dodgers. He was a big-time presence at Dodger games, but was in failing health recently. RIP.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Why didn't the Dodgers seem to make a serious attempt to retain Machado and have him or Seager play 2nd instead of Shortstop?

Because he's not 299 million better than Kike Hernandez and Chris Taylor combined
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

RIP Don Newcombe.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Because he's not 299 million better than Kike Hernandez and Chris Taylor combined

Also, quite importantly, his tenure here didn't go swimmingly. If he had been a fantastic fit, perhaps they would have felt differently. I think it was quite mutual that both sides were going to move on.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

Man, the Dodgers lost a legend today and the world lost a great guy. RIP Newk, you were a treasure.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Dodgers needs are more towards pitching. They already have hitters, even better they have ones under salary control.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Dodgers needs are more towards pitching. They already have hitters, even better they have ones under salary control.

If the Dodgers' needs are pitching, I just wonder where do think the other teams sit. Bleacher Report and MLB both rank the Dodgers' starters as being the second best rotations, though neither of these agree on the number one team rotation. When your sixth guy is Urias, and your seventh is Stripling, you've got some depth. Bullpens always have some question marks but then with a healthy Jensen, with Baez, Caleb, and Joe Kelly, this could be a good one.

But yes, the position players look to be solid. The only position where the team is weak, is catcher, and the pick-ins' were slim to none, unless one wanted to overpay. Besides they have three pretty good ones in the minors looking to break out.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
why has there been basically no news about Dallas Keuchel or Craig Kimbrel in months?

There are some very concerning issues with Kimbrel. He wants a 5-year deal but he might only be good for one or two more years. I think if he were willing to go on a 2 or even 3-year deal, he'd see some suitors.

Keuchel has the same concerns with the term length.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Is a Kluber trade pretty much not happening now?
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Is a Kluber trade pretty much not happening now?

Yup Indians wanted too much
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Dodgers can give Kuechel a 2 yr $40mm with the 2nd yr his option
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 36 of 248
Jump to: