2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Are Manny and Harper planning to play this year?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

The more I thought about it, I understand the Dodgers passing on Realmuto. He's not a good pitch-framer, and the organization as a whole clearly believes that such a skill is very important for the pitching staff. They also may be in love with Keibert Ruiz, as I am. If we moved Ruiz, I'd have preferred it to be for an ace. He's obviously one of the best catchers in baseball, but it's a low bar.

At this point, it just seems like we are going to go into the season with all of our prospects intact, and just see what trade possibilities may come up during the season. I saw a rumor that Harper might be considering a shorter-term deal and if so, the Dodgers could re-enter the picture, but I highly doubt that.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Are Manny and Harper planning to play this year?

They and Boras are getting the J.D. Martinez treatment.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

MAy be in harper's interest to try a 1-year prove it deal; he's shown he can go off, may net him the ultimate deal he is after.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
MAy be in harper's interest to try a 1-year prove it deal; he's shown he can go off, may net him the ultimate deal he is after.

It'd be crazy to take a 1 yr deal and leave $300M on the table. You don't mess around with that kind of money. That's risking $270M or so to get an extra $50M?

Harper so far in his career has made $52M over 7 years. It's time to get paid.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Can't decide which LA front office is worse right now, Lakers giving away good prospects for cheap or Dodgers for holding onto theirs instead of getting proven big league talent like Realmuto and Harper.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

It'd be crazy to take a 1 yr deal and leave $300M on the table. You don't mess around with that kind of money. That's risking $270M or so to get an extra $50M?

Is there 300mm on the table? It sounds like he is not getting anything close. and while 52mm is small, he's one of the more marketable MLB stars, so the figure is closer to 100MM probably.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Can't decide which LA front office is worse right now, Lakers giving away good prospects for cheap or Dodgers for holding onto theirs instead of getting proven big league talent like Realmuto and Harper.

Eh, I am not mad about passing on Harper and the 10 year deal. It is too long and for too much money. Seems to me like he had one great season and some other good ones. Too much of a risk. I am sure had Harper been tearing up the league the past two seasons we would have given him a closer look but the guy batted just .249 last season. Why pay $300 million for that?

I would pay Trout $300 million or maybe Judge, but not Harper.

I will miss Puig but I guess he has had his issues with the clubhouse and FO.

Verdugo should be good, I want Toles to get some time and Seager will be back. If Pollock can avoid random injuries that have derailed his recent seasons he might actually be a Justin Turner like player IMO.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Lakers and it's not even close.

We went to back to back WS for gods sake. We lost to a better team in 2018 and Kershaw, Darvish and Kenley choking in 2017.

While getting superstars are nice, it doesn't guarantee we'd win.

Dodgers will be fine, with or without Harper, Machado or Kluber.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

We went to back to back WS for gods sake. We lost to a better team in 2018 and Kershaw, Darvish and Kenley choking in 2017.

I guess this is being contrarian, but as I see it, as least the current Lakers' front office improved the team this year. I can't say that the current Dodgers' front office has improved the team in five.

Still, neither get a thumb's up.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Should've taken that deal from the Nationals if he wanted to get paid....now I'm not sure that deal is even on the table anymore.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

I guess this is being contrarian, but as I see it, as least the current Lakers' front office improved the team this year. I can't say that the current Dodgers' front office has improved the team in five.

I mean, it is apples and oranges.

You get a few superstars in basketball and you're an instant favorite to win the whole thing. Not necessarily the case in baseball.

But we've won 6 (?) division titles in a row and have made back to back WS appearances. We rank super high in farm talent and we always seem to pick up a diamond in the rough the past few years (Chris Taylor, Muncy etc).

While I'll admit I'm anti-Magic at the helm (and thank God he's just the face for the Dodgers and not actually involved in player decisions), I believe the Dodgers FO is MILES ahead of the Lakers.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

You get a few superstars in basketball and you're an instant favorite to win the whole thing. Not necessarily the case in baseball.

But we've won 6 (?) division titles in a row and have made back to back WS appearances. We rank super high in farm talent and we always seem to pick up a diamond in the rough the past few years (Chris Taylor, Muncy etc).

While I'll admit I'm anti-Magic at the helm (and thank God he's just the face for the Dodgers and not actually involved in player decisions), I believe the Dodgers FO is MILES ahead of the Lakers.

Agree... the front office has developed a certain philosophy that has been working, but they need to continue to innovate and improve the team to win that WS title. This was supposed to be the offseason where the fans were to see the Dodgers make that big splash, and so far there's been nothing. We'll see if the Dodgers can find that next diamond in the rough a la Muncy, Taylor, and Morrow.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Eh, I am not mad about passing on Harper and the 10 year deal. It is too long and for too much money. Seems to me like he had one great season and some other good ones. Too much of a risk. I am sure had Harper been tearing up the league the past two seasons we would have given him a closer look but the guy batted just .249 last season. Why pay $300 million for that?

I would pay Trout $300 million or maybe Judge, but not Harper.

I will miss Puig but I guess he has had his issues with the clubhouse and FO.

Verdugo should be good, I want Toles to get some time and Seager will be back. If Pollock can avoid random injuries that have derailed his recent seasons he might actually be a Justin Turner like player IMO.

I would give him whatever he wanted. He's the best player I've ever seen. Literally no weakness in his game. And he's a great person, by all accounts. I'd open up the checkbook for him without hesitation. He's had a Hall Of Fame-caliber season in all of his full years in the big leagues.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

If you believe that the Dodgers' front office is miles ahead, you must be referencing the Dodgers front office for about the last ten years, as the majority of the top talent on the team was signed prior to the new administration.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

If you believe that the Dodgers' front office is miles ahead, you must be referencing the Dodgers front office for about the last ten years, as the majority of the top talent on the team was signed prior to the new administration.

While I was referring to the current regime, I can agree that Ned Colleti and the prior regime should also get credit as well
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Just disappointed no Realmuto and Kluber while dumping Puig, Kemp, Wood. Seems we downgraded from 2018 while the Cards, Cubs, Brewers, Mets, Phils all made strides to improve for this season. Don't see us back in the WS at this point.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Just disappointed no Realmuto and Kluber while dumping Puig, Kemp, Wood. Seems we downgraded from 2018 while the Cards, Cubs, Brewers, Mets, Phils all made strides to improve for this season. Don't see us back in the WS at this point.

Hard to get back to the World Series three years in a row, even harder when you traded a lot of those same hitters who got you to the big show.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Hard to get back to the World Series three years in a row, even harder when you traded a lot of those same hitters who got you to the big show.

Much like the Lakers in years past the Dodgers this year's stirred up the line up. They got rid of some of the outfield congestion. Probably will see Toles and Verdugo get some playing time and Joc eventually moved. Kelly is an upgrade as a bridge to Jansen. Our pitching staff is deep in talent with Kershaw, Buehler, Ryu, Hill and Maeda, Stripling, Urias fighting for the number 5 slot. Caleb Ferguson and an improved Baez will be late inning arms. I think Ferguson is eventually going to be in the starting rotation or a trade chip in a later deal.

It will be interesting to see who is starting at second. I'm thinking Kiké gets the most while Taylor plays the super sub roll. Let's just hope that Barnes can provide something with the stick because you know Roberts is gonna play him. A lot.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Should've taken that deal from the Nationals if he wanted to get paid....now I'm not sure that deal is even on the table anymore.

I think it's still there. If not in years, at least in avg.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Is there 300mm on the table? It sounds like he is not getting anything close. and while 52mm is small, he's one of the more marketable MLB stars, so the figure is closer to 100MM probably.

Yeah, even if it's $100M if you want to include his endorsement money, it just makes no sense to take that kind of risk - for more money.

The argument just doesn't add up.

The risk vs. reward doesn't make much sense.

You could have a $300M contract now, which won't make you happy. So, you take a 1 yr deal, so you can get a $350M contract next year, which will make you happy?

So, that extra $50M is the difference between happiness and unhappiness?

And for that extra million, you're willing to risk losing everything on a 1 yr deal?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

I think Harper thought he would get the same kind of money ($300M) from either the Yankees or Dodgers. I feel like he wanted the money AND to be a contender. Now he's realizing he probably can't maximize both sides of that so he has to choose which is more important.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

I don't think that deal is on the table anymore considering no other teams have made a deal close to those numbers.Makes sense why would the Nationals bid against themselves and take on the unnecessary risk of giving a player a 10 year contract. He can probably command 20-30 million dollars a year, just not on the length approaching 10 years.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

LBP - that deal simply isn’t on the table. He would be smart to get the 20 plus million he can get this year, kill it, and seek a mega deal after. Worst case he “stinks” it up and he can only get a 5 year 120 million dollar deal or something.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
LBP - that deal simply isn’t on the table. He would be smart to get the 20 plus million he can get this year, kill it, and seek a mega deal after. Worst case he “stinks” it up and he can only get a 5 year 120 million dollar deal or something.

Something's on the table, and it's more than a 1 year deal.

Your theory is he isn't getting that $300M deal anymore because of how he performed last year?

If that's the case, then Scott Boras F'd him up by not advising him to take the deal.

But whatever is on the table is better than a 1 yr deal. Even a 5 yr deal with an opt out after 1 yr is better than a 1 yr deal.

It just makes no sense for him to take a 1 yr deal. None that I can see.

His market didn't drop from $300M for 10 yrs to $20M+ for 1 yr.

If you think about it - he already went the 1 yr deal route. He did it last yr banking on getting that big contract this offseason. That's what he thought last yr.

How sure is he of getting the deal he covets next offseason? He thought this was the offseason he was going to get it and he was wrong.

Also, whoever signs him to that $300M contract next season will be kicking themselves. They could have had him this offseason for something less (if that deal really is off the table now).

So, there's that aspect. Teams don't want to come off looking like they mismanaged signing Harper.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 34 of 248
Jump to: