2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

It's actually getting pretty ugly. Baseball has a major problem on its hands. You have Dodgers players openly tweeting about how unfair this seems and that they are shocked that players aren't getting punished. And this hasn't made the mainstream media or even made mainstream social media yet (the link I'm about to show below), but I think you could see some dirty laundry start to get aired. I'm telling you, MLB has a problem.

Read the comments by "davidbrosius" in the box, about one Michael Nelson Trout:

https://twitter.com/DaveDuFourNBA/status/1217919655085518864?fbclid=IwAR1bILxL7i_nFIz8WiOOBHkuGIw8k80PKioPktWAzVfuqUKHNI4De-1z_Ik
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Alex Wood tweeted he'd rather face players that were on steroids than players that knew what pitch was coming. This is growing.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
It's actually getting pretty ugly. Baseball has a major problem on its hands. You have Dodgers players openly tweeting about how unfair this seems and that they are shocked that players aren't getting punished. And this hasn't made the mainstream media or even made mainstream social media yet (the link I'm about to show below), but I think you could see some dirty laundry start to get aired. I'm telling you, MLB has a problem.

https://twitter.com/DaveDuFourNBA/status/1217919655085518864?fbclid=IwAR1bILxL7i_nFIz8WiOOBHkuGIw8k80PKioPktWAzVfuqUKHNI4De-1z_Ik

Joel Sherman
@Joelsherman1
Last from Boras: "Fans need to keep in mind that there are a lot of players who are in the spider web, but they are not the black widow just because they are a member of the team or the league.” #Astros #Altuve
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Joel Sherman
@Joelsherman1
Last from Boras: "Fans need to keep in mind that there are a lot of players who are in the spider web, but they are not the black widow just because they are a member of the team or the league.” #Astros #Altuve

There's A LOT of incriminating evidence on Altuve himself. Occam's Razor.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

all these managers being fired does nothing to me. i'm still pissed it happened to the Dodgers. there's no way to turn back the clock to undo all these. the only thing MLB should do right now to restore order and trust in the game of baseball is give Astros two options: 1. voluntarily give up the 2017 title, or 2. not playing the entire upcoming season. preferably both.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/TphamLV/status/1217953635574976513

Altuve deserves to get beaned in the head.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
all these managers being fired does nothing to me. i'm still pissed it happened to the Dodgers. there's no way to turn back the clock to undo all these. the only thing MLB should do right now to restore order and trust in the game of baseball is give Astros two options: 1. voluntarily give up the 2017 title, or 2. not playing the entire upcoming season. preferably both.

Do you really expect ratings to drop, even in LA?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Wow, what is that bulge in your shoulder Altuve?

Altuve: oh, just my necklace....
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Maybe ban Altuve for three seasons and ban the Astros from post season play for the next three too.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Baseball is terribly inconsistent. How is Pete Rose still banned but the two (bleep) are only suspended for a year? How about the players who were basically the ring leaders?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Baseball is terribly inconsistent. How is Pete Rose still banned but the two (bleep) are only suspended for a year? How about the players who were basically the ring leaders?

Why would they be suspended? It's not like they were on weed while they were looking at the live feed.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Because gambling is the ultimate baseball sin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Because gambling is the ultimate baseball sin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sox_Scandal

The astros cheating could have possibly changed the career paths of a ton of players. Millions were lost.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Because the Managers union clearly isn’t as strong as the players one. To this day, apparently.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Oh, cool can we take a look?

Altuve: Naw I'm too shy...
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Altuve: Ok, I changed my mind. But first let me run to the locker room real quick. brb....
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Altuve: Ok, I changed my mind. But first let me run to the locker room real quick. brb....

Altuve: Hey Jason Grimsley, can you do me a solid and take this? You know what to do.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Altuve: Hey Jason Grimsley, can you do me a solid and take this? You know what to do.

[comes back from the locker room, opens up the jersey to show them]

Altuve: See? Nothing there. Like I was trying to explain earlier, but my English was bad, but it’s better now after going to the locker room...

You see, my wife irons my jersey when I play at home and she is bad at it. So she ironed in the little crease right there on my shoulder. But as you can see, there is nothing under there.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Did we get Lindor yet?
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Man, I really hope that the Astros and Red Sox were the only teams doing this. If it is revealed to be a league-wide thing then MLB is screwed.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Casey Sadler Designated For Assignment To Make Room On Dodgers 40-Man Roster For Alex Wood

The Los Angeles Dodgers designated Casey Sadler for assignment in order to create room for Alex Wood on their 40-man roster. The team made the signing of Wood to a one-year contract official on Wednesday.

The Dodgers now have seven days to trade, release or outright Sadler off the roster. He joined the team four weeks before the trade deadline this past season as one of the early steps the Dodgers took toward addressing their bullpen.

Sadler was acquired from the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for Nathan Witt.

Sadler was sent from the Rays to the Dodgers in July and posted a 2.33 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 20:8 K:BB over 27 innings with his new team, so his removal from the 40-man roster is somewhat of a surprise.

The 29-year-old had a 2.14 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 33 games between the two teams, so it wouldn't be surprising if he garners interest on the waiver wire.

Quote:
Dodger's 40 man roster

1 Adam Kolarek
2 Alex Wood
3 Blake Treinen
4 Clayton Kershaw
5 Dustin May
6 Dylan Floro
7 Joe Kelly
8 Julio Urias
9 Kenley Jansen
10 Kenta Maeda
11 Pedro Baez
12 Ross Stripling
13 Scott Alexander
14 Tony Gonsolin
15 Walker Buehler

16 Caleb Ferguson
17 Dennis Santana
18 Jimmy Nelson
19 Josh Sborz
20 Mitchell White
21 Victor Gonzalez

22 A.J. Pollock
23 Alex Verdugo
24 Austin Barnes
25 Chris Taylor
26 Cody Bellinger
27 Corey Seager
28 Enrique Hernandez
29 Gavin Lux
30 Joc Pederson
31 Justin Turner
32 Matt Beaty
33 Max Muncy
34 Will Smith

35 Zach McKinstry
36 DJ Peters
37 Edwin Rios
38 Keibert Ruiz
39 Kyle Garlick
40 Tyler White

Guess they have no room for Casey Sadler. For those saying signing Jimmy Nelson is a low risk high reward signing, well, seems like it cost us Casey Sadler so far. (even though technically, he was released to make room for Alex Wood, I think the last 40 man roster spot came down to Sadler or Jimmy Nelson).

And here are the details of Jimmy Nelson's contract:

Quote:

Right-hander Jimmy Nelson and the Los Angeles Dodgers agreed Tuesday to a $1.25 million, one-year contract, an incentive-laden deal that could be worth $13.25 million over two seasons.

Nelson has a $750,000 salary this year, and the Dodgers have a $2 million option for 2021 with a $500,000 buyout.

If he pitches 40 games or 60 innings this season, the option would become a $5 million mutual option. The option price would escalate to $6 million for 110 innings, $7 million for 130 innings, $8 million for 150 innings and $9 million for 170 innings.

The deal includes $2 million in roster bonuses for 2020: $1 million for making the opening-day roster and $500,000 each for 45 days and 90 days active. There are performance bonuses this year of of $250,000 each for 90, 110, 130, 150, 170 and 190 innings.

If the 2021 club option is exercised, Nelson could earn $250,000 each that year for 90, 110, 130, 150, 170 and 190 innings.

---------------------------

He joins an interesting Dodgers team, where he might have the opportunity to split time between the starting rotation and the bullpen. His role may, however, look similar to that of Julio Urías from last season, where he spent a majority of the time as a reliever, but had the capability to spot start to give some starters a rest. Now, according to Castillo, he can win a spot in the starting rotation with his performance in spring training.

Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
Man, I really hope that the Astros and Red Sox were the only teams doing this. If it is revealed to be a league-wide thing then MLB is screwed.

Now that players see their coaches and GMs are losing their jobs, I doubt they will come forward to give MLB their smoking gun. The Astros owner gave MLB a list of teams he thinks are cheating but I don’t see how you can investigate without player assistance.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

Now that players see their coaches and GMs are losing their jobs, I doubt they will come forward to give MLB their smoking gun.

Assuming a solid relationship.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Now that players see their coaches and GMs are losing their jobs, I doubt they will come forward to give MLB their smoking gun.

Assuming a solid relationship.

And players move around a LOT so there's bound to be plenty of former players that would have an axe to grind with their old teams.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Casey Sadler Designated For Assignment To Make Room On Dodgers 40-Man Roster For Alex Wood

The Los Angeles Dodgers designated Casey Sadler for assignment in order to create room for Alex Wood on their 40-man roster. The team made the signing of Wood to a one-year contract official on Wednesday.

The Dodgers now have seven days to trade, release or outright Sadler off the roster. He joined the team four weeks before the trade deadline this past season as one of the early steps the Dodgers took toward addressing their bullpen.

Sadler was acquired from the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for Nathan Witt.

Sadler was sent from the Rays to the Dodgers in July and posted a 2.33 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 20:8 K:BB over 27 innings with his new team, so his removal from the 40-man roster is somewhat of a surprise.

The 29-year-old had a 2.14 ERA and 1.17 WHIP in 33 games between the two teams, so it wouldn't be surprising if he garners interest on the waiver wire.

Quote:
Casey Sadler traded to Cubs for infielder Clayton Daniel to clear room for Alex Wood

While Alex Wood’s signing made sense for the team’s starting depth, it did have an immediate cost in a 40-man roster crunch, and a few days ago the casualty of that was reliever Casey Sadler. After he was designated, the Dodgers found a home for him in a trade with the Cubs for infielder Clayton Daniel.

Sadler came over from the Rays in July to help shore up a leaky Dodgers pen, and he did exactly that for the most part. He provided 27 innings of 2.33 ERA, striking out 20 and walking just eight. While he didn’t end up making the playoff roster, he certainly did his job more often than not.

He was effective enough that I made him into a bit of an inside joke due to his performance compared to the rest of the pen for a stretch.

Realistically though, this was an understandable decision. Despite the results, he carried a 4.35 FIP and 4.96 DRA with the Dodgers and is 4.19 and 5.01 in those numbers for his career. Sadler’s track record is that of a fungible middle relief arm, and a team with the ambitions of the Dodgers understandably think they can do better.

In terms of the return, at least it seems like Daniel has bat-to-ball skills at least. A 31st-round selection in 2018, Daniel has a .290/.367/.379/.746 line in his two seasons, striking out just 53 times against 52 walks in 501 plate appearances. The positional versatility also matches with what the Dodgers are looking for, as he’s played second, short, and third in his brief career.

Primarily appears to be organizational depth with utility player dreams. Whenever a deal like this is made, people mention Chris Taylor and others the Dodgers have turned around, but also worth remembering that CT3 had a .315/.401/.459/.860 line in the minors and was already in the bigs by 23. Daniel will be 25 early next season. He’s made it to as high as AA and seems likely to start the season there in 2020.

Sucks to see Casey go, but it was always likely to happen at some point this off-season, and quite frankly it was surprising it didn’t happen sooner. In the end, not much in this trade that should impact the Dodgers one way or another.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 236 of 248
Jump to: