View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
So far it appear that were are the second best team behind the Nats. We’ve competed better than anyone else they’ve faced in the playoffs so far. Really impressed by what they’ve been able to do.

Tru dat.

Brewers: 0-1
Dodgers: 2-3 (losing in extra innings of game 5)
Cardinals: 0-4
Astros: 0-2

When you're hot, you're hot.

This just makes it more depressing and frustrating. We had that game 5 and blew it big time. Not saying if the Dodgers were to advance then the outcome would be the same as the Nationals but just seeing them just man-handle the competition just makes me feel like the Dodgers would have done the same and finally win.

2017 WS and 2019 NLDS just stings a lot. Both series we had but let it slip away.

2017 had such a sting, that I don't think I'll ever get excited for winning a World Series as that year. I just never considered that the team's best would under-perform so. In the past, the team's best usually performed their best: Koufax, Drysdale, Podres, Fernando, Hershiser.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
So far it appear that were are the second best team behind the Nats. We’ve competed better than anyone else they’ve faced in the playoffs so far. Really impressed by what they’ve been able to do.

Tru dat.

This just makes it more depressing and frustrating. We had that game 5 and blew it big time. Not saying if the Dodgers were to advance then the outcome would be the same as the Nationals but just seeing them just man-handle the competition just makes me feel like the Dodgers would have done the same and finally win.

2017 WS and 2019 NLDS just stings a lot. Both series we had but let it slip away.

2017 had such a sting, that I don't think I'll ever get excited for winning a World Series as that year. I just never considered that the team's best would under-perform so. In the past, the team's best usually performed their best: Koufax, Drysdale, Podres, Fernando, Hershiser.

Even Manny in 2008 and Hanley in 2013 before being hbp. So many heartbreaking years. But yes, after those 2 STL losses, the Mets, and the Cubs I was done getting my hopes up. Then 2017 felt magical and I was all in for the first time in like 10 years. It made the sting so much worse.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Tru dat.

2017 and 2019 were such gut punches that, at this moment, I don't even know how I can get excited for a random June/July series sweep next season. I mean, we basically boat-raced the entire NL this year and still blew it in the first round.

The Nationals are basically the 2017 version of us in that they are just so hot except they're in better position to close the deal.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
ribeye wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Yeah if 6ip 3r is not acceptable for Kershaw then we should have started him in game 1. But I don’t recall anyone clamoring to start him in game 1.

I don't understand your point.

I think he means that if we expect a better start than that from Kershaw then it would mean we still think he's elite. But 6ip and 3er should be acceptable for a past-his-prime starter.

Kershaw would be the best starter on a lot of teams. I just wouldn’t start him over Buehler and Ryu because those guys are great pitchers. It confused me when Ryu didn’t start game 2.

How many guys are there in the league where you expect better than 6ip 3r in the playoffs?

That’s why it is tough to win in the playoffs. Teams that don’t have the pitching have a difficult time making it. And when they do make it, it’s a struggle for them. They better hope the rest of the team is really strong. At the very least you want a #1 starter that can give you more than that.

One thing about pitching 6 innings and giving up 3 runs is you really need the bullpen to do its job in the lower scoring playoff games. If the bullpen gives up 2 or 3 runs, or even 1 run, it can be difficult to win.

And it still adds up to a 4.50 era. There are guys with plenty of postseason starts that have struggled to win with better eras than that. Here are some examples:

Greg Maddux: 11-14, 3.27
Tom Glavine: 14-16, 3.30
Randy Johnson: 7-9, 3.50
Roger Clemens: 12-8, 3.75

All of those guys have much better than a 4.50 era. What would those records look like if they had a 4.50 era in the playoffs?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

You know, I was thinking that if we had Puig instead of Pollack we would have beaten the Nats.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
You know, I was thinking that if we had Puig instead of Pollack we would have beaten the Nats.

Maybe... but would Puig be enough to overcome the abysmal batting performances by Corey and Cody? And if not, is it worth not having a Josiah Gray and Jeter Downs in the minors?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Maybe... but would Puig be enough to overcome the abysmal batting performances by Corey and Cody? And if not, is it worth not having a Josiah Gray and Jeter Downs in the minors?

In a series as close as that was, adding a clutch postseason guy to take 13+ at bats which were pretty much all K's by Pollock and I'm going to bet he gets at least 3-4 hits.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Who are our free agents this offseason?
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

In a series as close as that was, adding a clutch postseason guy to take 13+ at bats which were pretty much all K's by Pollock and I'm going to bet he gets at least 3-4 hits.

That's a good point, especially since the series came down to a couple of terrible pitches. I don't think the Dodgers would have had too much difficulty against the cards the way that they had played in the next series. Although it's baseball, so you never know. It's the WS that would concern me. Would the Dodgers by then have figured things out, or would DR continue to make the same mistakes that have cost him in the past? It would have been a good comeback story for the team is they had won it all.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

That's a good point, especially since the series came down to a couple of terrible pitches. I don't think the Dodgers would have had too much difficulty against the cards the way that they had played in the next series. Although it's baseball, so you never know. It's the WS that would concern me. Would the Dodgers by then have figured things out, or would DR continue to make the same mistakes that have cost him in the past? It would have been a good comeback story for the team is they had won it all.

No doubt he will. If that idiot can't figure it out by now, he never will.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Francisco Lindor (the idea of him getting traded to the Dodgers for Corey Seager, in part) is trending on Twitter.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Francisco Lindor (the idea of him getting traded to the Dodgers for Corey Seager, in part) is trending on Twitter.

Lindor produces in the playoffs.

He’s going to be expensive.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

And the mighty Verlander takes yet another World Series L...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

Eh, I'm watching the World Series, but I cannot say that I'm enjoying it. I'm still bitter.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
And the mighty Verlander takes yet another World Series L...

He'd be 0-7 instead of 0-6 with a ND had in not been for Kenley bailing him out with a blown save lol
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Eh, I'm watching the World Series, but I cannot say that I'm enjoying it. I'm still bitter.

Ditto. I’ll check in here and there but mainly glance at the score after.

Obviously I’m hoping the nats take it tonight as losing to the team that wins it all would seem to lessen the pain, but then it still irks me seeing the guys in the World Series after we had them beat.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

This WS has been great. I'm not bitter about losing to Washington, it's not their fault Dave is a moron and they capitalized on his mistake.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
This WS has been great. I'm not bitter about losing to Washington, it's not their fault Dave is a moron and they capitalized on his mistake.

No bitterness towards the Nats. Gritty team that never gave up and they deserve it.

Bitter towards two people: Roberts and Kershaw

Without them mucking things up, we'd be playing right now.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

It's definitely an interesting and fun WS for me. Both teams letting their home crowd down. The expressions on the fans are priceless.

I am not bitter about the Nationals either. Hope they win it tonight. Can't stand the Astros.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

No bitterness towards the Nats. Gritty team that never gave up and they deserve it.

I can't say you're wrong to be mad at Kershaw but it's not like he made a bad pitch to Rendon. Soto got a meatball though. I still blame Dave for a terrible decision there. Actually 2: the first being sending him back out there at all and the second being not pulling him for Kolarek when Soto was coming up.

The flip side is if Kershaw didn't perform poorly in 2017 game 5, 2018 WS and 2019 game 5 then we have 1 or 2 rings and would be playing for our 2nd or 3rd right now.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I can't say you're wrong to be mad at Kershaw but it's not like he made a bad pitch to Rendon. Soto got a meatball though. I still blame Dave for a terrible decision there. Actually 2: the first being sending him back out there at all and the second being not pulling him for Kolarek when Soto was coming up.

The flip side is if Kershaw didn't perform poorly in 2017 game 5, 2018 WS and 2019 game 5 then we have 1 or 2 rings and would be playing for our 2nd or 3rd right now.

Yeah, Dave Roberts gets a bigger slice of the blame pie, for sure.

In regards to Kershaw, yeah, the pitch to Rendon...I mean, you just tip your cap. But to give up another one the very next pitch? I mean, really?

Honestly, I'm just sick of him failing for the 7th year in a row (though 2015 he had a pretty clean postseaon). Enough is enough with the insanity. Don't know if he's cursed or what, but I'm now convinced he'll never overcome it.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Lindor and Nick Castellanos (if we can't get Rendon) would do wonders for us.

1. Lindor (S) - SS
2. Muncy (L) - 1st
3. Castellanos (R) - RF
4. Bellinger (L) - CF
5. Turner (R) - 3rd
6. Verdugo (L) - LF
7. Lux (L) - 2nd
8. Smith (R) - C

Such balance.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Former Dodger player and Angel broadcaster Ron Fairly has died. He was a 3-time World Series champion with the Dodgers, and a 2-time All-Star during a playing career that saw him hit over 200 homers and drive in over 1,000 runs. He was 81. RIP.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Skip Bayless actually made a good point earlier today...Kershaw gets a lot of criticism for his performances in the post-season (much of which he deserves)...But Verlander doesn't get any criticism, despite being 0-6 in WS games. The only difference is Verlander's team carried him in 2017.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers year will probably be the one time they are a wildcard team, dominating the regular season has not been a formula that has worked the past couple of seasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 208, 209, 210 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 209 of 248
Jump to: