2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I just realized that I wrote "they seem to have an aversion to signing frequently-injured players", and I meant to say that they have a proclivity towards it, not an aversion. Oops!

Right on..!

They always seem to be looking for that one "once-great" player that has had some down years and they think by signing and over paying him, he will magically revert back to his previous all-star form..

And more often than not - they don't...!
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

Andrew Friedman coming back with his resigning immanent according to his interview today... Honeycutt transitioning to special assistant
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Andrew Friedman coming back with his resigning immanent according to his interview today... Honeycutt transitioning to special assistant

This was a bit confusing. I had to reread it twice as it said Friedman coming back but his resigning is imminent (as in he gave resignation papers).

But then I realized he was re-signing.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

I've made posts in the past criticizing Friedman and this new regime. While I am not the biggest fan of the front office I do acknowledge their strengths and things can definitely be much worse.

My biggest gripe with Friedman and this front office is the amount of money they continue to waste on free agency (on injury prone guys), on signings most people could see would be a complete waste of money, yet they seem intent on trying to outsmart everyone else.

I was never a fan of giving oft injured Pollock a 5 year deal and was never a fan of the Joe Kelly signing. Both signings look pretty terrible at this point.

I was never a fan of throwing money at Kazmir, Anderson, and McCarthy, all of whom turned out to be busts with the Dodgers.

Think of how much money we've wasted on these guys and how much better we could've used our resources. The sad part is a lot of Dodger fans called these signings horrible the moment they were made.

I'm not going to complain if Friedman is back but I hope he can learn and stop making the same mistakes again and again in free agency. It sucks to be throwing money down the drain like this when we were so close to winning the World Series.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have a link to the full press conference? I can only find a snippet of the question about Roberts.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
I've made posts in the past criticizing Friedman and this new regime. While I am not the biggest fan of the front office I do acknowledge their strengths and things can definitely be much worse.

My biggest gripe with Friedman and this front office is the amount of money they continue to waste on free agency (on injury prone guys), on signings most people could see would be a complete waste of money, yet they seem intent on trying to outsmart everyone else.

I was never a fan of giving oft injured Pollock a 5 year deal and was never a fan of the Joe Kelly signing. Both signings look pretty terrible at this point.

I was never a fan of throwing money at Kazmir, Anderson, and McCarthy, all of whom turned out to be busts with the Dodgers.

Think of how much money we've wasted on these guys and how much better we could've used our resources. The sad part is a lot of Dodger fans called these signings horrible the moment they were made.

I'm not going to complain if Friedman is back but I hope he can learn and stop making the same mistakes again and again in free agency. It sucks to be throwing money down the drain like this when we were so close to winning the World Series.

Agree.I just hope they really do something this Winter meetings, but the sad thing is that no matter who we get, they look like s==t when we get them rather than how they were on their previous teams

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the full press conference? I can only find a snippet of the question about Roberts.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Thank you.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:

Don’t forget that he was given the biggest budget to go after International prospect signings and just gave money to all the wrong players.

I don’t know if we’ve had a successful International prospect signing yet (that contributed to the big league club)

We missed out on Vladimir Guerrero, Fernando Tatis, Ronald Acuna n Ron Soto

It’s weird how they’ve hit on draft picks but struck out on International signings.

The draft is supposed to be harder since you don’t control where you draft.

But International signings when you are working with the biggest budget you pretty much have the pick of the litter

They just can’t scout International players as well as domestic players

And the one dude they would have hit a hr on, they traded to the Astros without ever seeing him play (Yordan Alvarez)

This would have put us over the top if they were better because we had such a huge advantage compared to all the other teams.

Think about the Red Sox who hit on Yoan Moncada and turned him into Chris Sale who helped them win a ring.

They also hit on Rafael Devers.

The only International prospect we’ve hit on is Puig and he was a Colletti signing

(I’m not counting Maeda, who’s a professional from Japan)
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

Dodgers have had the best pitching in the league since Honey's been coach. This will be a loss for sure, but glad he's staying in the organization.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Dodgers have had the best pitching in the league since Honey's been coach. This will be a loss for sure, but glad he's staying in the organization.

Mark Prior to take over. I don’t feel good about this. Wasn’t Prior in charge of the bullpen this year?

Quote:
Dodgers to reassign pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, Mark Prior to take over
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Mark Prior to take over. I don’t feel good about this. Wasn’t Prior in charge of the bullpen this year?

It’s not clear if Honeycutt is being pushed out

Quote:
Dodgers to reassign pitching coach Rick Honeycutt, Mark Prior to take over

Rick Honeycutt has been the Dodgers pitching coach under four different Dodgers managers but now, after 14 seasons in the role, he’s being moved out of it. Dodgers president Andrew Friedman told reporters today that Honeycutt will be assigned to a special assistant role. He also said that bullpen coach Mark Prior will take over as the club’s pitching coach.

The Dodgers’ failure in the NLDS has largely been blamed on manager Dave Roberts’ deployment — and his insufficiently quick hook — of relief pitchers. But while the ultimate decision on pitching changes do fall on the manager, the pitching coach is part of that decision tree as well, and it’s not hard to imagine that the club wanted to shake up the management of the staff to some degree. It’s also possible that Honeycutt’s health is playing a role here. He had spinal fusion surgery last offseason and has dealt with no small amount of pain since then and he may very well need to move into a less physically strenuous role.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

^
Honeycutt is not young and openly pondered retirement last offseason, and has been thinking about it for longer than that, apparently. This is a way for him to still be involved but to take a major step back, not have to travel, etc.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

Don’t forget that he was given the biggest budget to go after International prospect signings and just gave money to all the wrong players.

I don’t know if we’ve had a successful International prospect signing yet (that contributed to the big league club)

It’s weird how they’ve hit on draft picks but struck out on International signings.

But International signings when you are working with the biggest budget you pretty much have the pick of the litter

And the one dude they would have hit a hr on, they traded to the Astros without ever seeing him play (Yordan Alvarez)

This would have put us over the top if they were better because we had such a huge advantage compared to all the other teams.

Think about the Red Sox who hit on Yoan Moncada and turned him into Chris Sale who helped them win a ring.

The only International prospect we’ve hit on is Puig and he was a Colletti signing

Yep. The Dodgers had spent a ton of money in international prospects the year before the new rules went into effect, and didn't even get the best of the litter. Yadier Alvarez has been a bust so far, and despite his fastball I've always had qualms that he would never be better than an Aroldis Chapman-lite, and he isn't even close to being that. Not to mention the big money that was wasted on players like Alex Guerrero, Yasiel Sierra, Erisbel Arruebarrena and Hector Oliveros. Bloated dead money that affected future roster decisions.

Now, to be fair the current front office had fired most of the international scouting department at the time of most of these signings, and we're hopeful that they're slowly rebuilding the department since the early years have been pretty disastrous. They have two promising catchers that were international signings in Ruiz and Cartaya from recent signings. Overall they have a ways to go. Maybe Friedman should have tried to steal tampa bay's international scouting team. I'd love to have seen Wander Franco on this team.

Unfortunately the Dodgers are paying the price in more ways than they had imagined. By going over the 2015-16 bonus pool for the underwhelming Yadier Alvarez class, they were penalized by not being allowed to sign anyone for more than $300,000 for 2 years. So they missed out on gems like the aforementioned Franco. And like LBP alluded, if they were gonna throw mad money around knowing the ramifications for the next 2 seasons, they should have gotten at least one impact player instead of missing out on Guerrero, Soto, and Tatis.

And it's gonna be even greatly important for the international scouting department to be as good as the domestic draft has been with the proposed international draft possibly starting in 2020.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

You both make good points. What we must remember is that most of the heart of team, still, came prior to Friedman. Still, I also have no problem with Friedman returning. If he would just stop the throwing-spaghetti-at-the-wall-approach-of-signings-just-to-see-what,-if-anything,-sticks, or get better at it, the team would be better off.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Some of our most important players, like Buehler and Muncy, are Friedman guys. If we want to get technical, Ned's guys (outside of Turner) are the ones who are continually choking in the playoffs.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

Dodgers also have some bad luck with their minor signings that work out for other teams. Hudson was an intriguing signing for them last season that they did not re-sign. Dylan Floro was another one, but they got him back via trade. So they were on the right track for some of these lesser signings. Unfortunate that they prospered elsewhere or cost additional prospect capital to re-acquire.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Some of our most important players, like Buehler and Muncy, are Friedman guys. If we want to get technical, Ned's guys (outside of Turner) are the ones who are continually choking in the playoffs.

Credit where credit is due, but two guys, yes two very important pieces, in five years is not something to get overly excited about, especially considering all the misses.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Credit where credit is due, but two guys, yes two very important pieces, in five years is not something to get overly excited about, especially considering all the misses.

Those misses have been pretty egregious too. All were pretty low reward signings of players with known injury histories. And worse, they've hindered the club from getting real impact players. There's a scene in the original Ghostbusters where the 3 guys are in the library after finally seeing their first apparition and Peter asks "So what do we do?". Egon pulls out some electronic to do some calculations and Peter slaps it out of his hand. Someone in the organization needs to be like Peter and slap the electronics out of Friedman's hands.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Those misses have been pretty egregious too. All were pretty low reward signings of players with known injury histories. And worse, they've hindered the club from getting real impact players. There's a scene in the original Ghostbusters where the 3 guys are in the library after finally seeing their first apparition and Peter asks "So what do we do?". Egon pulls out some electronic to do some calculations and Peter slaps it out of his hand. Someone in the organization needs to be like Peter and slap the electronics out of Friedman's hands.

Yeah we missed a real opportunity to sign/trade for some high-impact players with high salaries while our rookies were on pre-arb contracts.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ribeye wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Yeah we missed a real opportunity to sign/trade for some high-impact players with high salaries while our rookies were on pre-arb contracts.

And I think that's where the rub is. I was always under the impression that the plan was to clear out the albatross contracts so that when the top prospects are brought up that there'd be big money available to complement them with true impact players. And I always viewed signings of Kazmir and McCarthy as bridge players until they got to that point. But it feels like they pulled the rug under us when they signed Pollock under the same principles last offseason and didn't go after Stanton or Yellich the season prior. Now they've missed a window and even though they have real big money to spend, the past and recent mistakes have limited any potential movement.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

I guess if its any consolation, the Nats are looking like an unbeatable team while the Dodgers were a few outs from eliminating them.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

So, if the Dodgers are so horrible as many are suggesting, I guess the Cardinals should be disbanded?

Again, in a short series anything can happen. The Padres are capable of winning a five game series against the Astros.

The biggest difference between an all star major league pitcher and an average one is consistency: They both are capable of tossing a shutout on a given night, when they are "on". The Nationals not only have three starting pitchers who are "on", but four. And if good pitching will beat good hitting, certainly great pitching will as well. If they stay "on" they will be hard to beat, but pitching requires such exactness that the slightest change in a delivery or a release point changes great to good or good to poor. And everything begins anew the next series.

Also, it is interesting that the team with worst bullpen in the NL is in the World Series. One must compliment Martinez on how he used his bullpen. That is not a compliment I can extend to Roberts. The data said that Kershaw's worst inning, by far, was his first so his effectiveness as a reliever would have to be suspect.

1st inning 5.79
2nd inning 1.29
3rd inning 3.21
4th inning 2.89
5th inning 2.57
6th inning 2.08
7th inning 3.65
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject:

Gotta admit, seeing the Nationals make the WS was tough to swallow. I'll never understand how this collapse happened and Dodger fans have to bear the brunt of it.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

The data said that Kershaw's worst inning, by far, was his first so his effectiveness as a reliever would have to be suspect.

1st inning 5.79
2nd inning 1.29
3rd inning 3.21
4th inning 2.89
5th inning 2.57
6th inning 2.08
7th inning 3.65

The data also said that Kershaw was excellent in relief appearances - I think this is the first time he had given up a run in relief. But we all knew this season that Kershaw always struggled in the beginning of a game before he settles in.

This is my issue with analytics - it never tells the whole story. So maybe Dave thought "hey CK is nails as a reliever, look at his stats" and never thought "well this year he has struggle in his 1st inning so maybe this isn't the best idea". Game feel and the eye test are important because stats never tell the whole story.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 205 of 248
Jump to: