View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced that Dave Roberts has agreed to a four-year contract to manage club through 2022. The announcement was made by Dodger President, Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman.

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1069652823493697538

I wish I could boycott this team but I'm too much of a sucker. I don't know if i can survive 4 more years of bad managerial decisions. Didnt we have enough of that with Mattingly?

I think your approaching it wayyyy too harshly, name a manager that can get you in WS back-to-back in his first three seasons as manager? Tommy Lasorda wasnt successful earlier in his days as a manager but brought us home a title, just needs to give it time

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping that Dave Roberts has learned from his mistakes and will make the necessary adjustments, especially in-game, to finally win the WS. But man have some of his bad decisions the past 2 seasons been greatly magnified under the World Series light. The Dodgers desperately need a tactical coach in the dugout to save Roberts from himself at times.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

The Magic Man selling the Dodger brand...

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
2m
2 minutes ago

More
The recruitment of Bryce Harper has heated up, as Magic Johnson led a Dodgers delegate that met with the mega-free agent in Las Vegas, sources tell me and @TBrownYahoo. White Sox, Phillies, Yankees lead long list of others interested. News at Yahoo Sports:
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
2m
2 minutes ago

More
The recruitment of Bryce Harper has heated up, as Magic Johnson led a Dodgers delegate that met with the mega-free agent in Las Vegas, sources tell me and @TBrownYahoo. White Sox, Phillies, Yankees lead long list of others interested. News at Yahoo Sports:

If they're going hard after Bryce, guess it makes sense that they're seemingly open to moving Puig.

Not sure Bryce is the answer for us, but LA is the city of stars I guess and he would be an interesting addition.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
2m
2 minutes ago

More

If they're going hard after Bryce, guess it makes sense that they're seemingly open to moving Puig.

Not sure Bryce is the answer for us, but LA is the city of stars I guess and he would be an interesting addition.

He's already peaked at 25. Who ever signs this guy to a big contract will live to regret it. I get the sense that things came so easy to him that he has never had to work on his craft. I say take a hard pass.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Moses wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
2m
2 minutes ago

More

He's already peaked at 25. Who ever signs this guy to a big contract will live to regret it. I get the sense that things came so easy to him that he has never had to work on his craft. I say take a hard pass.

This.

Just like Angels are stuck with Pujols, we'll be stuck with this guy for a long time. I say no thank you to Harper.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I think trading Puig would be a huge mistake. Aside from Turner he is our most reliable bat in October. And he's the heart of the team, IMO.

Ideally, I don't want to trade Puig, but, I mean, if it lands you an ace, I'll reserve judgment until I see what the final deal is, if one is even reached.

Absolutely. Trade from a position of strength. If we compare Joc to Puig, statistically, there is little difference in their overall value, using baseballreference as a guide. If we use Fan Graphs, we see Joc had a WAR of 2.7 to Puig's 1.8. If we use their defensive runs above average, Joc had a DEF of -.4 (as a LF) while Puig was a -8.5 (1421st place out of 1428), so Joc should not be a downgrade and could be a plus, plus there is also Verdugo. So, between Verdugo, Toles, Joc, (for left and right) Kike or Taylor, Bellinger, in center, the outfield does not suffer, and for an ace or a number 1, a no brainer--of course, depending what the rest of the package is.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Corbin chose the Nationals....at least $126M / 6 years
dlofan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
I think trading Puig would be a huge mistake. Aside from Turner he is our most reliable bat in October. And he's the heart of the team, IMO.

Ideally, I don't want to trade Puig, but, I mean, if it lands you an ace, I'll reserve judgment until I see what the final deal is, if one is even reached.

Absolutely. Trade from a position of strength. If we compare Joc to Puig, statistically, there is little difference in their overall value, using baseballreference as a guide. If we use Fan Graphs, we see Joc had a WAR of 2.7 to Puig's 1.8. If we use their defensive runs above average, Joc had a DEF of -.4 (as a LF) while Puig was a -8.5 (1421st place out of 1428), so Joc should not be a downgrade and could be a plus, plus there is also Verdugo. So, between Verdugo, Toles, Joc, (for left and right) Kike or Taylor, Bellinger, in center, the outfield does not suffer, and for an ace or a number 1, a no brainer--of course, depending what the rest of the package is.

Tough call, but I think I would lean towards trading Joc

With Machado out, and Seager back in, the team looks a lot stronger (especially with regards to power) from the left side of the plate

Lefties- Seager, Muncy, Joc, Belli, Verdugo
Righties- Turner, Kemp, Puig, Kike, Taylor, Freese
TBD- Catcher, 2nd base

-Joc would appeal more to a team doing a rebuild, as he has 2 years of team control left as opposed to a 1 year rental in Puig
-Joc would also be about 7 million dollars cheaper in 2019 (arbitration estimates)
-Positional value: right field is a more important position than left
-I also give Puig a better chance to be an everyday player. Joc's OPS against left handers each year (.691, .469, .579, .512). Puig hasn't hit left handers well the last 2 years OPS (.592, .628) but hit well against lefty pitchers before that
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Moses wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
2m
2 minutes ago

More

This.

Just like Angels are stuck with Pujols, we'll be stuck with this guy for a long time. I say no thank you to Harper.

Co-signed.

He's had 1 monster year that is worthy of the salary he's looking for. He's been slightly above better than average to all-star caliber the rest of his career. NOT worth the $. He's the most wildly overrated player in baseball.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

dlofan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Tough call, but I think I would lean towards trading Joc

With Machado out, and Seager back in, the team looks a lot stronger (especially with regards to power) from the left side of the plate

Lefties- Seager, Muncy, Joc, Belli, Verdugo
Righties- Turner, Kemp, Puig, Kike, Taylor, Freese
TBD- Catcher, 2nd base

-Joc would appeal more to a team doing a rebuild, as he has 2 years of team control left as opposed to a 1 year rental in Puig
-Joc would also be about 7 million dollars cheaper in 2019 (arbitration estimates)
-Positional value: right field is a more important position than left
-I also give Puig a better chance to be an everyday player. Joc's OPS against left handers each year (.691, .469, .579, .512). Puig hasn't hit left handers well the last 2 years OPS (.592, .628) but hit well against lefty pitchers before that

It's really an easy call: So, trade partner, which one do you covet?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Goldschmidt traded to the Cardinals. So another perennial NL contender just got better. I really hope we don't just maintain the status quo.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Goldschmidt traded to the Cardinals. So another perennial NL contender just got better. I really hope we don't just maintain the status quo.

Wow It's too bad they're in our division because there was no way they would've traded him to us. Yeah I hope we make a move to keep up with everyone else. But this does increase our chances of winning the division again at least. The Diamondbacks just lost the heart of their team.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

NL West got weaker.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
NL West got weaker.

Arizona was always likely to trade Goldy and basically blow it up this winter. I think I talked about that months ago. I wasn't worried about Arizona. What I am worried about are legit contenders getting better. The Braves are going to be better. The Cardinals are going to be better. The Phillies are going to be better, as they seem likely to sign a major free agent or two. You know the Cubs will be dangerous. We'll see if the Brewers can sustain what they did last year but they could be dangerous. The Nats bolstered the top of their rotation with Corbin, adding him to Mad Max and Strasburg. Even the Mets could be somewhat dangerous if their top starters stay healthy.

Yes, at least it does look like the Rockies will be the only team likely to challenge us in the division, but I'm worried about more than just the division.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:
NL West got weaker.

Arizona was always likely to trade Goldy and basically blow it up this winter. I think I talked about that months ago. I wasn't worried about Arizona. What I am worried about are legit contenders getting better. The Braves are going to be better. The Cardinals are going to be better. The Phillies are going to be better, as they seem likely to sign a major free agent or two. You know the Cubs will be dangerous. We'll see if the Brewers can sustain what they did last year but they could be dangerous. The Nats bolstered the top of their rotation with Corbin, adding him to Mad Max and Strasburg. Even the Mets could be somewhat dangerous if their top starters stay healthy.

Yes, at least it does look like the Rockies will be the only team likely to challenge us in the division, but I'm worried about more than just the division.

You basically killed all the confidence I had going in to next season. Lol
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:
NL West got weaker.

The Dodgers are probably good enough to win the division again if they do nothing. They were basically as unlucky as they could've been last season and still won more than 90 games. I just wonder about the postseason in a short series. Would love another top-of-the-rotation starter, as I don't trust Kershaw in that role any longer. I'd like him to be a Game 3 starter at the earliest. Guys like Ryu and Stripling and Wood have stepped up over the past 2 seasons to have outstanding stretches, but these are not aces that should be counted on to pitch at the front of a rotation in a playoff series. So yeah, I'm hoping they do something. I'm hoping they trade from the incredible depth to bring in an ace.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Ugggh... Why didn't they just trade him to the AL. A known Dodger killer on a team that has killed the Dodgers. Toxic combination. The dbags didn't even get anything much of value in the trade... which is fine since they're division rivals, but they should have gotten someone highly rated. Instead they went for volume.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Ugggh... Why didn't they just trade him to the AL. A known Dodger killer on a team that has killed the Dodgers. Toxic combination. The dbags didn't even get anything much of value in the trade... which is fine since they're division rivals, but they should have gotten someone highly rated. Instead they went for volume.

Yeah, Goldy is a better player than Machado, and the Cards are getting him for a full year, as opposed to just a few months. And they didn't get anyone that's a better prospect than Yusniel Diaz, the main piece of the Machado deal for the O's. Weaver has potential but really struggled last season as a starter and lacks a quality third pitch at the moment. The catching prospect in the deal, Kelly, apparently has major question marks as a hitter, so much so that many baseball observers apparently think that St. Louis actually has a better catching prospect in their system. I totally agree that they went for volume, as opposed to getting one prospect that seems like more of a sure bet to hit.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject:

If the Dbags are selling, any chance we can bring Greinke back?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

He has a 15-team no-trade list, and the Dodgers are on the list. (So are the Angels, interestingly, which means that the two SoCal teams he's played for are on his no-trade list!) I suppose he could always waive that and approve a deal, but then there's the matter of the D'backs' willingness to trade him to us, or lack thereof. They'd obviously have to eat a lot of the money on his deal to make it happen. He's due $104.5MM over the next 3 years, and I'm guessing that they would have to eat somewhere around $30MM of his remaining money for a team to have interest. I can't remember if it was Buster Olney or Peter Gammons or another baseball reporter type, but I came across a tweet where the question was posited: would you rather have Zack Greinke for 3 years and, say, $75MM, or Patrick Corbin for 6 years and $140MM? I think it's a great way to put it, and so I do think Greinke will have interest around the league. That is, if the D'backs are willing to eat that much money.

But again, yeah, I doubt very seriously that they would trade him to us, even if he waived his no-trade rights. They hate our guts, and they will probably have plenty of suitors if they are willing to eat the necessary money to move him.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:
NL West got weaker.

The Dodgers are probably good enough to win the division again if they do nothing. They were basically as unlucky as they could've been last season and still won more than 90 games. I just wonder about the postseason in a short series. Would love another top-of-the-rotation starter, as I don't trust Kershaw in that role any longer. I'd like him to be a Game 3 starter at the earliest. Guys like Ryu and Stripling and Wood have stepped up over the past 2 seasons to have outstanding stretches, but these are not aces that should be counted on to pitch at the front of a rotation in a playoff series. So yeah, I'm hoping they do something. I'm hoping they trade from the incredible depth to bring in an ace.

I guess I have a bit more confidence in Kershaw than you do. Maybe it's the fan in me that is making me think this way. But I believe he is out to prove a lot of the critics wrong this year. Especially after almost tasting the WS twice. I hope I am right.

If we do add an ace, then it would be phenomenal. If we can get Kluber, would he be the 1 or would Buehler be 1? Or would they let Kershaw be the 1 since he is still the face of the team?

I believe the team is in anger mode to win now. Last year was the hangover year and this coming year is the angry year. I hope.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I think as long as Puig is on the team, Greinke has no interest in playing here again.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:
NL West got weaker.

I guess I have a bit more confidence in Kershaw than you do. Maybe it's the fan in me that is making me think this way. But I believe he is out to prove a lot of the critics wrong this year. Especially after almost tasting the WS twice. I hope I am right.

If we do add an ace, then it would be phenomenal. If we can get Kluber, would he be the 1 or would Buehler be 1? Or would they let Kershaw be the 1 since he is still the face of the team?

I believe the team is in anger mode to win now. Last year was the hangover year and this coming year is the angry year. I hope.

They would probably give Kershaw the nominal Opening Day start, and start Kluber #2 in the rotation, but I already think the Dodgers view Buehler as being ahead of Kershaw in the pecking order. They tipped their hand last year at the end of the season. It was Buehler who was lined up to pitch on the final day of the regular season or for a potential Divisional tiebreak game with the Rockies. As for Kluber or Buehler in a potential Game 1 of a playoff series, we can see how the season unfolds lol. Buehler certainly throws much harder than Kluber.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I think as long as Puig is on the team, Greinke has no interest in playing here again.

What happened between the two?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 20 of 248
Jump to: