2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 210, 211, 212  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
I was hoping to have Freese get more at bats instead of needing him for a clutch at bat --


Yup, making simple decisions complicated
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 6231
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Saw the starting lineup on yahoo and was absolutely livid when I did not see Freese's name on there.
_________________
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
loslakersss
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 9116
Location: LA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
While I would start Freese too I don't think it's indefensible to save him for PH. This way we know we have our most clutch hitter available for the moment we need him. Maybe he comes in as early as the 4th and still gets 2 or 3 ab's.


Problem with that theory is:

1) He's not really a defensive replacement, so it wouldn't make sense to bring him in early to replace another player

2) If he's batting for Buehler by the 4th, we're screwed

3) Strasburg is a righty. He wouldn't come in unless Strasburg gets in trouble and they bring in a lefty - which is probably Corbin. If Strasburg gets in trouble, then the offense is working and no point in bringing in Freese to replace another player (unless it's for a righty-lefty matchup).


If we have runners in scoring position in the 4th or 5th inning and it's the pitcher's spot or Kike/Beaty don't look good then it's perfect to throw Freese in. Sure I'd like to get him more at bats but the benefit of him PH is you can use him when there are people on base/in scoring position and not just hope the guys in front on him get on. It's not a terrible strategy by Dave.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
While I would start Freese too I don't think it's indefensible to save him for PH. This way we know we have our most clutch hitter available for the moment we need him. Maybe he comes in as early as the 4th and still gets 2 or 3 ab's.


Problem with that theory is:

1) He's not really a defensive replacement, so it wouldn't make sense to bring him in early to replace another player

2) If he's batting for Buehler by the 4th, we're screwed

3) Strasburg is a righty. He wouldn't come in unless Strasburg gets in trouble and they bring in a lefty - which is probably Corbin. If Strasburg gets in trouble, then the offense is working and no point in bringing in Freese to replace another player (unless it's for a righty-lefty matchup).


If we have runners in scoring position in the 4th or 5th inning and it's the pitcher's spot or Kike/Beaty don't look good then it's perfect to throw Freese in. Sure I'd like to get him more at bats but the benefit of him PH is you can use him when there are people on base/in scoring position and not just hope the guys in front on him get on. It's not a terrible strategy by Dave.


Well, Beaty is batting 5th and Kike is batting 7th. By the 4th or 5th inning that should be their 2nd at bat.

No matter how bad they look in their first at bat, you don't just take them out after one at bat against the same pitcher. That's just a waste of a pinch hitter.

You save your pinch hitters for the pitcher. If you're going to replace Beaty or Kike after 1 AB, and it's not for a lefty-righty matchup, then that's just dumb to start them.

Now replacing Buehler in the 4th or 5th, he's gotta be going bad. I don't see them replacing him if he's going well. Too much of a risk.

If Buehler comes up in the 4th, that means we're getting runners on base against Strasburg so we're doing well. That's batting around twice in 4 innings. That's pretty good. That's 6 base runners in 4 innings. Probably at least a couple scored.

If Buehler comes up in the 5th that means we're not getting many runners on base. Batting around twice through 5 innings means we pretty much only had 3 base runners through 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject:

OK Buehler - 1-2-3 first inning to get it started my boy!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 14277

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
OK Buehler - 1-2-3 first inning to get it started my boy!!



yup keep it simple.. no walks or errors as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3456
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
srm90 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
srm90 wrote:
Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

I like that there's no Pollock or Lux, but I wish we would start Freese and forget the splits with him. He's our most clutch hitter other than Turner. He needs more than a pinch hit AB in a Game 5. I'm good with Kike though, he came up big during that 7 run rally.


It's ridiculous, they need to just let Freese hit against everyone. Roberts said that the reason he's not starting is that they want to save him for a potential PH appearance against Doolittle or Corbin. How about just letting him hit against everyone?


Agreed. It's stupid and I hope it doesn't cost us. Beaty has been good this year but Freese is a proven winner in the playoffs.


The choice isn't between Beaty and Freese though.

It's Kike vs. Freese.

Beaty could play LF

Saving Freese for a PH role is stupid.

One thing Roberts hates to do - is just do the obvious...

I could do a whole stand up routine based on this.


Obviously, it's stupid to bat Dozier leadoff....
Obviously, it's stupid to bring Ryan Madsen into high leverage situations...

I mean, think about this. Beaty sits the whole series, now in the elimination game, he bats 5th. Just weird decisions.

You'd think that any guy good enough to bat 5th for you in an elimination game shouldn't have been riding the bench in the other games. Just saying.


He's got Joe Maddon Syndrome. The need to prove he's the smartest guy in the room.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
srm90 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
srm90 wrote:
Lineup:

Pederson RF
Muncy 2B
Turner 3B
Bellinger CF
Beaty 1B
Seager SS
Hernández LF
Smith C
Buehler P

I like that there's no Pollock or Lux, but I wish we would start Freese and forget the splits with him. He's our most clutch hitter other than Turner. He needs more than a pinch hit AB in a Game 5. I'm good with Kike though, he came up big during that 7 run rally.


It's ridiculous, they need to just let Freese hit against everyone. Roberts said that the reason he's not starting is that they want to save him for a potential PH appearance against Doolittle or Corbin. How about just letting him hit against everyone?


Agreed. It's stupid and I hope it doesn't cost us. Beaty has been good this year but Freese is a proven winner in the playoffs.


The choice isn't between Beaty and Freese though.

It's Kike vs. Freese.

Beaty could play LF

Saving Freese for a PH role is stupid.

One thing Roberts hates to do - is just do the obvious...

I could do a whole stand up routine based on this.


Obviously, it's stupid to bat Dozier leadoff....
Obviously, it's stupid to bring Ryan Madsen into high leverage situations...

I mean, think about this. Beaty sits the whole series, now in the elimination game, he bats 5th. Just weird decisions.

You'd think that any guy good enough to bat 5th for you in an elimination game shouldn't have been riding the bench in the other games. Just saying.


He's got Joe Maddon Syndrome. The need to prove he's the smartest guy in the room.


Good comparison

How about this - Pollock never hit in the same position in any game this series

From leadoff to 3rd to 5th or 6th to bench
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Buehler reminds me of Hershisher

Skinny/small frame and bulldog mentality
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 14277

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

clean inning by Buehler
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 10839

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Much better than the Braves start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 18959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Got that last fastball just out on the corner enough to where Rendon didn't quite get it. Good first inning from Buehler.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Welp, let’s see how Strasburg looks


PLEASE be off like Verlander
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Much better than the Braves start.


Can we match the Braves/Rays’ start and end this game already?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 14277

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Double?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 18959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

That'll be a double.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 14277

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Boom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 35000
Location: 502 Bad Gateway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Muncy = Boss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Much better than the Braves start.


Can we match the Braves/Rays’ start and end this game already?


YES WE CAN!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 14277

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Stras is off so far
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 10839

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Corbin: 6 innings, 1 earned run
Strasberg: 6 innings, 1 earned run
Sanchez: 5 innings, 1 earned run
Scherzer: 7 innings, 1 earned run

Note: Corbin gave up 2 runs total thanks to an error by Kendrick, and I’m not including his bullpen outing obviously

Nationals starters: 1.50 era


Usually when you see numbers like that, one wouldn’t expect it to be a 2-2 series. Even the Astros starters had 2 bad starts in 4 games.


Hey, the team scored 2 earned runs off a starter!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5865

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Strasburg is off
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 18959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Alfonso Marquez squeezed Strasburg out of two strikes in that JT AB. Let's see if that happens to Buehler later in the game.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 10839

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Took 16 pitches to get his first out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 14277

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Belli with a poor at bat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 210, 211, 212  Next
Page 170 of 212
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB