2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
This NLDS feels eerily similar to the 2015 NLDS, where we went in as heavy favorites against the Mets with Kershaw/Greinke but our offense was shut down by their aces deGrom and Syndergaard.

I'm hoping for a better result this time. For this team to flame out in the NLDS would be inexcusable.

I don't agree with that. It's a short 5-game series and they happen to have two of the three best starting pitchers in the series. (And don't give me Ryu and Kershaw's regular season ERA's, please.) Anytime that is how the cards lay, you're facing a dangerous opponent. And the 5-game series is better suited for their staff than it is ours, at least as it relates to the starting pitching. We're the better team, but in 5 games, losing 3-2 would not be that huge of a surprise. That's baseball in the postseason. It's so fickle.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject:

^^^ That being said, in 2 losses the offense mustered 1 and 2 runs. That won't get it done very often. This is why they play the games. Hoping for some runs in game 5. It's been a resilient team this year so I like our chances.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject:

kcxiv wrote:
Nationals starting pitching is really freaking good, what they have to do is take pitches and get that pitch count up, then the Dodgers can do what they usually do! Good thing we have Walker, he can go toe to toe with Any pitcher anyone throws out there.

Should be a stressful game, but if they can get that pitch count high, Dodgers will win big.

Their top 3 starters have all pitched 6 or 7 innings. The Dodgers are simply not getting enough hits. The Nationals pitchers need to be facing more hitters per inning (on average). Getting the occasional hit with runners in scoring position will extend innings and get those pitch counts up too.

Strasburg had 0 walks and 3 hits allowed in his game 2 start. He had too many easy innings facing only 3 or 4 hitters. I want to see at least 3 hits in the same inning.

Wish the Dodgers would knock one of these starters out early like Tampa Bay did against Greinke and Verlander.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
^^^ That being said, in 2 losses the offense mustered 1 and 2 runs. That won't get it done very often. This is why they play the games. Hoping for some runs in game 5. It's been a resilient team this year so I like our chances.

I agree with this.

Other than the 7 run inning, they have been very inconsistent on offense.

Whatever happens tonight, I am hoping to see a better approach at the plate (i.e. swing at strikes, not balls) from our team tonight.

Go Dodgers!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Whatever happens tonight, I am hoping to see a better approach at the plate (i.e. swing at strikes, not balls) from our team tonight.

Go Dodgers!

Didn’t we say this after last year’s playoffs?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

^ to be fair the 2019 team has had much better at bats than the 2018 team. The new hitting coach has done wonders but it doesn't mean we'll always have good games. I do think we will bounce back though.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ to be fair the 2019 team has had much better at bats than the 2018 team. The new hitting coach has done wonders but it doesn't mean we'll always have good games. I do think we will bounce back though.

Yeah, if it's much better, I don't know what to say cuz we had 29k in the first 2 games (2nd highest total ever) and 44k in the first 3 games.

Our ABs vs. their starters have been anemic and futile.

We've done most of our damage vs. the worst bullpen in mlb.

We got rid of Puig to sign Pollock and he has 10k in 12ABs
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

If Verdugo was healthy, he'd be in the lineup right now and we probably wouldn't have to worry about Pollock.

I'm not really that upset that we let go of Puig. But yeah, Pollock is not looking like he is going to pay off.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
If Verdugo was healthy, he'd be in the lineup right now and we probably wouldn't have to worry about Pollock.

I'm not really that upset that we let go of Puig. But yeah, Pollock is not looking like he is going to pay off.

Well they let go of Puig because they felt they needed an upgrade in the outfield to get over the hump.

They wanted Bellinger in RF n Pollock in CF

Turns out, we have Bellinger in CF anyways and Pollock’s in LF

So we had to move Pederson n Bellinger to make room for Pollock. Plus, we can’t even give Beaty time in LF cuz of Pollock

But even keeping Puig would have saved us on that horrible Pollock signing
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

^ Puig was so clutch. I believe this series would be over if we had him.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

I know it has nothing to do with us, but seeing Verlander get roughed up gives me hope we can do similar to Strasburg.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:

I always thought Verdugo would do well in the playoffs because of his eye and plate discipline (basically the anti-Seager).

It's doesn't help either that created an unnecessary problem by shoehorning Lux into the lineup.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
srm90 wrote:

I always thought Verdugo would do well in the playoffs because of his eye and plate discipline (basically the anti-Seager).

It's doesn't help either that created an unnecessary problem by shoehorning Lux into the lineup.

Yeah, Verdugo not being ready for the NLDS was a big loss. He hits both righties and lefties and his defense is significantly better than Pollock's.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Nervous time.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

Such a huge game for a young pitcher like Walker. Hopefully this will be the game that shows their championship moxie. Otherwise, a whole new bunch of questions will be launched and major changes will need to be considered.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

I heard on the radio this morning that Ryu told the reporters he can come in for relief if he is needed.

Buehler
Kershaw
Ryu
Maeda
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
I heard on the radio this morning that Ryu told the reporters he can come in for relief if he is needed.

Buehler
Kershaw
Ryu
Maeda

That’s not good. That means Buehler only went 6 innings and he probably gave up some runs.

I imagine if Buehler doesn’t give up any runs he’d go at least 7ip

Same w/ Kershaw. If Kershaw has a clean inning I think he goes more than 1
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Buehler
Kershaw
Ryu
Maeda

That’s not good. That means Buehler only went 6 innings and he probably gave up some runs.

I imagine if Buehler doesn’t give up any runs he’d go at least 7ip

Same w/ Kershaw. If Kershaw has a clean inning I think he goes more than 1

Yes I am hoping it turns out that way. But for some reason if Buehler or Kershaw is in trouble, it is nice to know that Ryu can come in for an inning or two. At this point I don't trust anyone in our bull pen except for Maeda.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

I mean I don't mind Walker being on a short leash and Dave taking it batter by batter if it's a close game in 5th. The last thing we want is to ask too much. Look at what the Rays did last night - their starter went like 2 innings and they pulled him when there was a sign of trouble. Not saying it always works or that you shouldn't trust your guys to get themselves out of jams but a short leash isn't a bad thing either.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I mean I don't mind Walker being on a short leash and Dave taking it batter by batter if it's a close game in 5th. The last thing we want is to ask too much. Look at what the Rays did last night - their starter went like 2 innings and they pulled him when there was a sign of trouble. Not saying it always works or that you shouldn't trust your guys to get themselves out of jams but a short leash isn't a bad thing either.

That was planned though for the Rays game last night. They were using Castillo as an opener and had no plans to extend him much further than that.

And the only way I see Buehler getting taken out early in the game is if he is struggling with command and is walking a lot of guys and gives up a run or two.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

That was planned though for the Rays game last night. They were using Castillo as an opener and had no plans to extend him much further than that.

And the only way I see Buehler getting taken out early in the game is if he is struggling with command and is walking a lot of guys and gives up a run or two.

Agree. I can't see Buehler being taken out early unless it's clear that he's too wild with his stuff and can't settle down. Everyone will need to be at the top of their game... including the umps.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

Since Dodger management is all about keeping the farm system strong, the Puig trade wasn't just about signing Pollock. I absolutely agree that we could use Puig in the lineup right now. But the two prospects that we got from the Reds have turned out to be real players, Josiah Gray and Jeter Downs. Gray is #4 on our prospects list, with Downs listed at #5. (Gonsolin is 6th, if anyone was wondering.) These are assets that could be used in a trade, or, of course, they could help the big club at some point.

And if Verdugo were healthy, we wouldn't even be talking about Puig, I suspect.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

this team needs a makeover if the season ends tonight. i'm all for Joe Maddon take it over for Roberts. trade Jansen for anything more than a bag of chips. trade Kershaw to teams like Boston (will be active in off season coming off a disappointing season), or Padres (always like Dodger's leftovers).
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this team needs a makeover if the season ends tonight. i'm all for Joe Maddon take it over for Roberts. trade Jansen for anything more than a bag of chips. trade Kershaw to teams like Boston (will be active in off season coming off a disappointing season), or Padres (always like Dodger's leftovers).

There's a 0.00% chance of any of that happening regardless of what happens this postseason.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

There's a 0.00% chance of any of that happening regardless of what happens this postseason.

I actually don't think there's a 0% chance of a Jansen trade. We'd just have to eat some money, but I don't think that one is impossible. Kershaw, yeah, that's not happening, as it's pretty clear that he's basically viewed as a legacy Dodger. And if Roberts got the axe, they would bring in another yes man, not someone with the cache of Maddon. And Maddon is overrated anyway.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 168 of 248
Jump to: