2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

The NL is a cakewalk for this Dodger team. It's the Astros and Yanks I fear.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
It's one of those years again, but the last two years, I really felt like we were going to win a world series. 2019, another great year, but I am much less confident this year about our WS chances. I think we are going to need some complete game wins in a series, our relief pitching is just not that good this year.

I was not confident last year. Red Sox, Yankees and Astros all had great years and Milwaukee was the top seed in the NL.

My biggest concerns right now are Ryu and Hill (or whoever the #4 starter is going to be).
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ribeye wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
It's one of those years again, but the last two years, I really felt like we were going to win a world series. 2019, another great year, but I am much less confident this year about our WS chances. I think we are going to need some complete game wins in a series, our relief pitching is just not that good this year.

I never thought we would win last year. 2 years ago was the heartbreaker. This year's team is somewhere in the middle.

This years team is better than last years....I don't think anybody gave us much of a chance against the Red Sox. This year both AL teams (Yankees, Astros) are better than us, we are the underdog against them, but not an overwhelming one. If we have good pitching performances we can definitely win this year.

Better offense
Worse overall pitching

Jansen to me should not see the light of the day in the postseason, and we all know he will and in high leverage situations. I have hard time squaring that with a championship expectation.

Last season the Dodgers led the NL in pitching: 1st in starting and 5th in relieving

This season the Dodgers are leading the NL in pitching: 1st in starting and 2nd in relieving.

Where they are not as good as last year, is last year they were 1st the first half and they were 1st the second half. This year, they were 1st the first half but they are 2nd so far in the second half, most of which could probably be explained by Ryu. The team to watch for is St. Louis, leading the 2nd half and playing .661 ball the second half.

I really, REALLY don't want the Dodgers to face those sign stealing (bleep).

I'm guessing Kershaw doesn't either: 0-4, 6.14 ERA--with a 95+ MPH fastball.

His postseason stats are A LOT better since he stopped facing that team in the playoffs. I would be far more eager to defend him except for that horrific start he had against the Astros.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Rib-bit:

Though Cody leads Yelich in WAR based on the Baseball Reference model that ESPN uses (8.2 - 7.1), Yelich leads using the Fangraphs' model 7.7 - 7.2.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Rib-bit:

Though Cody leads Yelich in WAR based on the Baseball Reference model that ESPN uses (8.2 - 7.1), Yelich leads using the Fangraphs' model 7.7 - 7.2.

His defense is where he gets the edge on the BBRef model, right?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Rib-bit:

His defense is where he gets the edge on the BBRef model, right?

Both factor offense and defense but weigh factors differently. Both are far more complicated and subjective than I care to fully digest: The work is not worth the results, since the results don't always match the eye test.
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
What wouldn't you give for Vazquez right now?

Glad we gave nothing, he would be in jail instead of pitching in the playoffs.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/09/17/pirates-all-star-closer-felipe-vazquez-arrested-on-charges-of-solicitation-of-a-child/
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/09/17/pirates-all-star-closer-felipe-vazquez-arrested-on-charges-of-solicitation-of-a-child/

Looks like we got lucky that the Pirates were asking too much...Dodged a bullet there.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Looks like we got lucky that the Pirates were asking too much...Dodged a bullet there.

At least one piss and moan topic can be buried.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

I am getting excited at the thought of Kenley returning to form. Still too early to tell but I'm feeling optimistic about a turnaround. If we have a solid Maeda/Urias/Baez/Kelly/Jansen bullpen then we are in great shape, IMO.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

Started a relationship with a 15 year old when she was 13. Thank (bleep) god we didn't trade Lux and May for this guy. (bleep).
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

BigJosh951 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
What wouldn't you give for Vazquez right now?

Glad we gave nothing, he would be in jail instead of pitching in the playoffs.

My pedo alarm was off that day. First Micheal Jackson, now Felipe Vazquez. I'm a bad judge.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Started a relationship with a 15 year old when she was 13. Thank (bleep) god we didn't trade Lux and May for this guy. (bleep).

Wow that is messed up. A 13 years old girl
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

Dodgers OF Alex Verdugo rejoined the team in Los Angeles because today is his bobblehead night. Doctors have ruled him out for the NLDS, but he is hopeful of being back for a potential NLCS. He isn't doing any baseball activities at the moment. "Extremely disappointing," Verdugo said.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank goodness the Pirates were being so unreasonable. There is very little doubt in my mind that they could have had something like Keibert Ruiz and Tony Gonsolin for Vazquez.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Ugh, another Youtube game. It's like those player's only broadcasts on NBATV with more obnoxious commercials.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Ugh, another Youtube game. It's like those player's only broadcasts on NBATV with more obnoxious commercials.

The first 3 innings sound like a drive time morning zoo. But they have the break between innings and don't say anything. It's horrible.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Thank goodness the Pirates were being so unreasonable. There is very little doubt in my mind that they could have had something like Keibert Ruiz and Tony Gonsolin for Vazquez.

Yes, there is a now a degree of solace and resolution should the Dodger bull pen later implode, or simply perform at their current standard.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Seegs!!

Maeda and Baez imploded but Kenley picked them up...go figure?!

ATL lost again, 5 games up with 10 play.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
The NL is a cakewalk for this Dodger team. It's the Astros and Yanks I fear.

I wish I was that confident. The Division Series is so short that I never feel comfortable unless it’s a 2-0 series. And even then the moment it goes to 2-1 I get nervous again. It’s so short after the 162 game season. Even a best of 7 is so short. I’ve wondered what a series would look like if it was a best of 9 like the early World Series used to be but the postseason would drag on for too long.

Plus baseball playoffs have a lot of upsets.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Wow that is messed up. A 13 years old girl

And this guy is rich and famous. Yet he STILL picked someone that was barely a teenager.

I’ve never been so glad the team didn’t trade for someone. This would have gone down as one of the worst deals ever in team history.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Urias just pitched on back to back days.

I think this says something about how we're planning on using him in the playoffs.

He's either going to be our: Josh Hader/Andrew Miller or our closer.

Also:

Quote:
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

It has been 11 days since Justin Turner was in the Dodgers' lineup. The NLDS begins in a litte more than two weeks. Dave Roberts said Turner, nursing an ankle sprain that has been deemed mild, moved around a little better today, but is still unavailable. Roberts said "there's plenty of time for him to get some at-bats to get him ready for the postseason." "When he does come back, I just really wanna be confident that we can sustain it," Roberts added. "When that is, we'll see."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Vazquez told police of attempted sex with minor

Pittsburgh Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez admitted to police that he tried to have sex with a 13-year-old girl and sent her nude photographs and videos of himself committing sexual acts, according to a criminal complaint released Wednesday by Pennsylvania State Police.

Vazquez, 28, was arrested Tuesday and charged with six counts in Pennsylvania and Florida, including multiple felonies, related to his contact with the now-16-year-old girl. A judge denied him bail in Pennsylvania, where the charges filed include statutory sexual assault, unlawful contact with a minor, corruption of a minor and indecent assault.

Police said Vazquez met the girl while he was in the bullpen at PNC Park in Pittsburgh and communicated with her through text messages and social media. Vazquez, according to the complaint, "claimed initially that he refused to communicate with her due to her age," saying the girl appeared to be 16 or younger.

Vazquez told police he exchanged nude photos and videos with the girl, who was then 13, and drove to her home in Scottdale, Pennsylvania, about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. When Vazquez, then 26, arrived, the girl got into his car. She told police he pulled down her pants and tried to have sex with her.

Vazquez attempted to have sex with the girl, he told police, but he said he needed to leave because he had a game that night, according to the complaint.

Vazquez admitted to later sending more text messages to the girl.

The charges in Pennsylvania followed two charges in Florida, where the girl and her family now live, for soliciting a child for unlawful sexual conduct using a computer or device and giving obscene material to a minor. The girl's mother found photographs allegedly sent from Vazquez on her daughter's device and called police, spurring the investigation.

Attorneys for Vazquez declined comment in a statement released Wednesday.

"We are in the process of reviewing both the Pennsylvania and Florida charging documents, as well as the underlying facts of the matter," it said. "At this time, any comment would be premature."

Major League Baseball placed Vazquez on administrative leave after the arrest and is awaiting further information from police before considering disciplinary actions.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Yankees lost

Yankees - 99-54
Dodgers - 98-54

Quote:
If the Yankees and Dodgers, for example, were to face each other in the World Series and had identical regular-season records, home-field advantage would go to the club with the better head-to-head record in 2019. In this case, that would be the Yankees, who beat the Dodgers in two of three meetings in August
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 118 of 248
Jump to: