Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jorge Castillo

@jorgecastillo
·
46m

Julio Urías is expected to be reinstated from administrative leave and activated tomorrow, per sources. He was arrested last week on suspicion of domestic battery.

Great news
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

More Urias details, from Jeff Passan…

www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26790944/urias-reinstated-rejoin-dodgers
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Quote:
Mall officials in possession of the video declined to give it to MLB, and while the league could have pursued a seven-day extension of administrative leave, the union and Urías would not have consented and could have filed a grievance, per the jointly negotiated domestic-violence policy.

Quote:
The league's investigation into Urías remains open, according to sources. Prosecutors have yet to file charges against Urías, and the Los Angeles Police Department still has not released an incident report.

Quote:
The Dodgers, who declined comment through a spokesman, are required to abide by the jointly negotiated rules and cannot levy discipline on Urías or keep him from returning to their roster.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Quote:
Mall officials in possession of the video declined to give it to MLB, and while the league could have pursued a seven-day extension of administrative leave, the union and Urías would not have consented and could have filed a grievance, per the jointly negotiated domestic-violence policy.

Quote:
The league's investigation into Urías remains open, according to sources. Prosecutors have yet to file charges against Urías, and the Los Angeles Police Department still has not released an incident report.

Quote:
The Dodgers, who declined comment through a spokesman, are required to abide by the jointly negotiated rules and cannot levy discipline on Urías or keep him from returning to their roster.

Why would the officials in possession of the video decline to give it to MLB?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe they feel as I do that it is not the role of professional sports organizations to act as judge and jury when there is a legal system designed for this purpose . . . though I doubt it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe they feel as I do that it is not the role of professional sports organizations to act as judge and jury when there is a legal system designed for this purpose . . . though I doubt it.

in a round about way....not that I think they have a position on professional sports teams, but I assume the malls policy is their surveillance of the property is only for the security of their customers, and they would only provide video to law enforcement for an investigation.....and I assume law enforcement policy is they only acquire evidence for a criminal investigation, and if there are no charges, then the video is property of the mall and not part of public record. I mean if my employer requested the video because they believed I skipped a conference and went to the mall, the mall would not turn over surveillance of thousands of people to my employer for a private employment dispute.

Basically I am saying TMZ will probably have the video within 48 hours.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Jansen got a clean inning tonight. Nice outing from Kershaw. Baez hit by line drive in the knee. Looks like he may spend some time on the IL. This team just keeps grinding and I don't think they have played near their best ball yet. The starting pitching has been stellar though.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

The 2 out hitting ... that’s what’s gonna win us the WS!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Jansen got a clean inning tonight. Nice outing from Kershaw. Baez hit by line drive in the knee. Looks like he may spend some time on the IL. This team just keeps grinding and I don't think they have played near their best ball yet. The starting pitching has been stellar though.

How does the 3 batter minimum rule apply when you have an injury? Clearly, Baez was hurt. But, what if you see something you don't like? Non-contact injury?

Guy throws a pitch and you see something that you don't like. You take him out. Is that ok? Can an umpire overrule that? Do you have to explain to the umpire what you saw?

I can see something like this playing out in the playoffs.

Guess they already had an article addressing this:

Quote:
Are pitchers going to fake injuries to get around MLB's new rule?

Yes, totally.

Major League Baseball announced on Thursday that starting in 2020, pitchers entering games must face at least three opposing batters or reach the end of a half inning before they can be removed. The rule change is aimed at reducing mid-inning pitching changes and speeding up the sport’s much lamented pace of play.

But the press release introducing the new measure included this parenthetical: “(with exceptions for incapacitating injury or illness).”

So, since we know that optimizing platoon matchups really does give teams an advantage, and since umpires would have no great way to prove that a pitcher is not genuinely hurting, I feel confident that at some point, undoubtedly, some team or several teams will try to manipulate the exception. A lefty pitcher is going to retire Bryce Harper then come down with sudden stomach issues when Rhys Hoskins comes up. On the very last pitch he needs to get Josh Donaldson out, a righty will tweak his hamstring just in time to avoid facing Freddie Freeman.

Maybe some team will do it twice and arouse suspicion from the league, and you’ll hear about MLB forming an exploratory committee to investigate, or something. Maybe the teams will be smart about it and wait until the postseason to do it in dramatic fashion in an important game. But it’s totally happening at some point.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/mlb-rule-changes-pitcher-batter-minimum-injuries

Looking at the rule changes again, I noticed this rule:

Quote:
Position players will be prohibited from pitching through the ninth inning unless the player’s team is winning or losing by six or more runs when he takes the mound.

That got me to thinking. What is Shohei Otani? Is he a pitcher or a position player with regards to this rule?
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

How does the 3 batter minimum rule apply when you have an injury? Clearly, Baez was hurt. But, what if you see something you don't like? Non-contact injury?

Guy throws a pitch and you see something that you don't like. You take him out. Is that ok? Can an umpire overrule that? Do you have to explain to the umpire what you saw?

I can see something like this playing out in the playoffs.

Guess they already had an article addressing this:

Quote:
Are pitchers going to fake injuries to get around MLB's new rule?

Yes, totally.

Major League Baseball announced on Thursday that starting in 2020, pitchers entering games must face at least three opposing batters or reach the end of a half inning before they can be removed. The rule change is aimed at reducing mid-inning pitching changes and speeding up the sport’s much lamented pace of play.

But the press release introducing the new measure included this parenthetical: “(with exceptions for incapacitating injury or illness).”

So, since we know that optimizing platoon matchups really does give teams an advantage, and since umpires would have no great way to prove that a pitcher is not genuinely hurting, I feel confident that at some point, undoubtedly, some team or several teams will try to manipulate the exception. A lefty pitcher is going to retire Bryce Harper then come down with sudden stomach issues when Rhys Hoskins comes up. On the very last pitch he needs to get Josh Donaldson out, a righty will tweak his hamstring just in time to avoid facing Freddie Freeman.

Maybe some team will do it twice and arouse suspicion from the league, and you’ll hear about MLB forming an exploratory committee to investigate, or something. Maybe the teams will be smart about it and wait until the postseason to do it in dramatic fashion in an important game. But it’s totally happening at some point.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/mlb-rule-changes-pitcher-batter-minimum-injuries

Looking at the rule changes again, I noticed this rule:

Quote:
Position players will be prohibited from pitching through the ninth inning unless the player’s team is winning or losing by six or more runs when he takes the mound.

That got me to thinking. What is Shohei Otani? Is he a pitcher or a position player with regards to this rule?

How about what they do in the NBA. If a player can't shoot his FT due to injury the other team picks who shoots the free throws.

In this case, the batting team gets to pick who the next pitcher is in this scenario of relief pitcher getting hurt without seeing 3 batters.

---George Carlin
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

I think the 3 batters rule is total horse(bleep).
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
The 2 out hitting ... that’s what’s gonna win us the WS!

Yes.

Shutting out the other team regularly as they have been doing would be good to continue doing as well.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

MLB draft coming up in a couple of weeks. Very interested to see who the Dodgers draft as there are some intriguing prospects at the top of the Dodgers' draft spots.

Even more important, the race for Craig Kimbrel will officially start as the team that signs him won't have to give up draft pick compensation or international slot money. I think the most the Dodgers can offer without going over the CBT threshold is around $7 million. Not sure that the Dodgers will have enough to sign him compared to other potential contenders.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
MLB draft coming up in a couple of weeks. Very interested to see who the Dodgers draft as there are some intriguing prospects at the top of the Dodgers' draft spots.

Even more important, the race for Craig Kimbrel will officially start as the team that signs him won't have to give up draft pick compensation or international slot money. I think the most the Dodgers can offer without going over the CBT threshold is around $7 million. Not sure that the Dodgers will have enough to sign him compared to other potential contenders.

Yeah, Kimbrel turned down $17.9M this year.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Yeah, Kimbrel turned down $17.9M this year.

Even prorated across the whole season that $7 million is still woefully short. And this compounds the underlying issue people have with the front office at times. They've done well in many aspects, but the asset management hasn't been very well done with regards to big money free agency. If they didn't waste money on big money injury-riddled players, they'd probably have the extra funds to be competitive in signing him while maintaining the CBT threshold. Now as it stands, they have to go over it if they want to shore up a weakness. And they haven't shown that inclination. It may end up hurting them again like it did years ago with Justin Verlander.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Good wins Saturday and Sunday to sweep the series. Decent enough starting pitching and Corey Seagar is coming alive with the bat which is most encouraging. Now we just need Kike to get hot.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

On regular TV tomorrow, for all of us Direct TV users...
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

Outside of hit for average, hit for power, hit to the opposite field, take a walk, run like the wind, throw, and field, what else can Belli do?

A great catch from yesterday
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Can we just make up an injury for Joe Kelly and declare him out for the year?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Bellinger is (bleep) amazing. Second putout from the outfield this game. This last saved another run.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Bellinger is (bleep) amazing. Second putout from the outfield this game. This last saved another run.

Soooo heads up. You rarely see this play
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Soooo heads up. You rarely see this play

For good reason. That was absolutely idiotic baserunning from Gomez! First off, you aren't even the tying run, and secondly, there were 2 outs on the flyout and you're already in scoring position anyway.

That said, that was a seed from Bellinger. Wow.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Kelly must be DFA'ed ASAP, his personal issues aside he has been an utter disaster.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Kelly has to be DFA'ed ASAP, his personal issues aside he has been an utter disaster.

If he were on a 1-year deal, I would agree with you. Maybe they can still get something out of him next year. But for now, he appears hopeless, that's for sure.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Kelly has to be DFA'ed ASAP, his personal issues aside he has been an utter disaster.

If he were on a 1-year deal, I would agree with you. Maybe they can still get something out of him next year. But for now, he appears hopeless, that's for sure.

Damn your right too much dinero the eat if they cut ties with him now. At least stiffs like League, Brian Wilson and even Romo to a lesser degree had something left before imploding as Dodgers. Kelly has been a bust since opening day with no end in sight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 61 of 248
Jump to: