Dorcas Reilly, woman who created the green bean casserole dies at 92
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Dorcas Reilly, woman who created the green bean casserole dies at 92

http://www.kxxv.com/story/39349836/woman-who-created-green-bean-casserole-dies-at-92

Quote:
HADDONFIELD, N.J. (AP) - The woman who created a Thanksgiving staple - the green bean casserole - enjoyed by millions has died at age 92.

Dorcas Reilly died on Oct. 15 of Alzheimer's disease, said Ken Tomlinson of the Hinski-Tomlinson Funeral Home in Haddonfield, New Jersey.

Campbell Soup officials said the New Jersey resident was the driving force behind the popular dish, made with green beans and cream of mushroom soup topped with crunchy fried onions. The company said it is the most popular recipe ever to come out of its corporate kitchen.

The original recipe card was donated to the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002.

"Dorcas was an incredible woman, whose legacy will live on for years to come. She will be missed by her Campbell colleagues and all those who were impacted by her creativity and generous spirit," the company said in a statement.

Reilly was a Campbell Soup kitchen supervisor in 1955 when she combined the ingredients of the now-legendary green bean casserole for an Associated Press feature.

In a 2005 AP interview marking the recipe's 50th anniversary, Reilly said she didn't remember having a hand in it because the dish was among hundreds that were created during her time at Campbell's. She also helped create a tomato soup meatloaf, a tuna noodle casserole and Sloppy Joe-like "souperburgers."

The recipe is still a fixture on soup-can labels and television commercials. And Reilly said she always kept the ingredients for the casserole on hand in her home - just in case someone asked her to whip one up.

Reilly also noted whenever the company held recipe contests, she would typically see "homemade" variations of the soup-can recipe for the casserole.

"It would be Aunt Suzy's or Grandma's," she said.

Campbell's officials have said consumers often tell them practically anyone - even novices or bad cooks - can make a green bean casserole because it's so easy to prepare.

Reilly worked for Campbell's on and off between the late 1940s and 1988, when she retired as manager of the Campbell's kitchen.

She is survived by her husband of 59 years, Thomas, and a son and daughter. A service will be held Saturday in Haddonfield.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Please bury that rotten recipe with her.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

I never liked it. One of the worst Thanksgiving recipes ever. Just steam some fresh green beans and add some butter and toasted almonds if you don't know how to cook.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I never liked it. One of the worst Thanksgiving recipes ever. Just steam some fresh green beans and add some butter and toasted almonds if you don't know how to cook.

Worse than sliced, canned cranberries? Nothing like eating jellied fruit with the indented mold marks of a bpa lined can.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Worse than sliced, canned cranberries? Nothing like eating jellied fruit with the indented mold marks of a bpa lined can.

Never liked that either. But I said recipe.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I'm not saying I have good taste or refinement to begin with, but I prefer the gel to the sauce. I don't like the texture of them and they always have tiny seeds that get caught in your gums. Besides, when the jelly plops out of the can, it makes for an appetizing sound.

RIP to Dorcas. I thought Dorcus was the guy who got killed by messing with hornets, but that was Dorkus (male version).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

My mom kept a bunch of old volumes of cooking magazines from when she grew up. They're pretty shocking to thumb through. I honestly don't know how some of y'all lived on the kinds of stuff you were eating. We've come a long way
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I'm not saying I have good taste or refinement to begin with, but I prefer the gel to the sauce. I don't like the texture of them and they always have tiny seeds that get caught in your gums. Besides, when the jelly plops out of the can, it makes for an appetizing sound.

RIP to Dorcas. I thought Dorcus was the guy who got killed by messing with hornets, but that was Dorkus (male version).

Yup, the jelly is an admittedly low rent, yet satisfying ritual for me. Only time of the year I touch it, but I eat a whole can. Candied Yams are a no no for me though. Strictly baked with butter.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Cranberry sauce in general is the most overrated Thanksgiving dish.

If it was so good we would eat it on occasions that have nothing to do with THanksgiving. But we don't, because it's just not that good. Do we eat turkey outside of T-day? Yes. Do we eat gravy? Yes. Do we eat mashed potatoes? Yes.

Do we eat cranberry sauce??? No. Nobody does.

Same thing with egg nog.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

If it was so good we would eat it on occasions that have nothing to do with THanksgiving. But we don't, because it's just not that good. Do we eat turkey outside of T-day? Yes. Do we eat gravy? Yes. Do we eat mashed potatoes? Yes.

Same thing with egg nog.

First of all, cranberry sauce is no dish. It's a condiment. Second, by that logic stuffing is no good because we only eat it at Thanksgiving. And that is offensive. It makes no sense that we only eat stuffing once a year. It's delicious.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I never understood cranberry sauce as anything other than the tainting agent in a plate of thanksgiving food packed for you by someone else...the pink bit of mashed potatoes and the collateral 1/2" of potatoes surrounding the pink bits are getting scooped and flung right into the sink.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
methdxman wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Same thing with egg nog.

First of all, cranberry sauce is no dish. It's a condiment. Second, by that logic stuffing is no good because we only eat it at Thanksgiving. And that is offensive. It makes no sense that we only eat stuffing once a year. It's delicious.

Stuffing is not bad, but again, I maintain if anything is delicious, you would eat it more than once a year.

I don't only eat steak once a year, I eat it at least twice a week, bc it's f'ing delicious.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
ocho wrote:
methdxman wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Same thing with egg nog.

Stuffing is not bad, but again, I maintain if anything is delicious, you would eat it more than once a year.

I don't only eat steak once a year, I eat it at least twice a week, bc it's f'ing delicious.

I stuff pork chops, chicken, got a delicious beef stuffing recipient. Turkey's not
the only thing you stuff.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I eat stuffing multiple times per year.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Living your best life
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Living your best life

I'm living my GF's best life. She loves the stuff. Ing.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

Serving up green bean casserole instead of green beans simmered in a generous amount of smoked neckbones or ham hocks is a good way to be forever banned from thanksgiving in my book.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Same thing with egg nog.

used to think the same of egg nog until I discovered Vanilla Spiced Egg Nog and how well it mixes with a good black rum and brandy. I now count the days until I can find it in stores again.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Serving up green bean casserole instead of green beans simmered in a generous amount of smoked neckbones or ham hocks is a good way to be forever banned from thanksgiving in my book.

U making Collard Green beans
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

well thats how you make some legit southern style green beans as well.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
you beat me to it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
you beat me to it.

With a fruitcake.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
methdxman wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Same thing with egg nog.

used to think the same of egg nog until I discovered Vanilla Spiced Egg Nog and how well it mixes with a good black rum and brandy. I now count the days until I can find it in stores again.

I love egg nog and you're right, the new flavors are great. Used as a coffee creamer is best.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Terrible dish. I am pretty sure that I have never even met anyone who liked it.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

love it and cranberries, eggnog especially with lots of rum,fruitcake, giblet gravy...all the good stuff!

Here's a good green bean casserole recipe ...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: