What would be considered fair to pay student athletes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  

WHAT IS A FAIR AMOUNT TO PAY STUDENT ATHLETES?
$100.00 a week
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
$200.00 a week
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$300.00 a week
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
BASED ON THE SPORT
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
NO PAY
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
OTHER
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

15 dollars an hour during practice times and game time and tuition paid for.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
15 dollars an hour during practice times and game time and tuition paid for.

My position isn't monetary in a occupational sense. It's asking night on the town, dinner and a movie, personal incidentals expenses, etc. Enhance college enjoyment out of class away from the grind of sports. Live a little.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Many athletes at bigger programs already get paid "cost of attendance" stipends larger than the amounts listed in the poll. I am not sure what the numbers are today, but most of the Power 5 school athletes get $5K or more a year, deposited monthly into their bank accounts. It is usually over 8-10 months. Beyond that, they get thousands more funneled to them through loopholes throughout a season. For example, during away games each player gets a per diem amount for food and expenses.....but nothing says the school can not provide that cash directly, and still provide all meals to the student athletes which is what happens.

The biggest lie related to college sports in the media today is that these poor souls are being cheated in some manner. A college athlete in a revenue generating sport at a major program lives like a modern day king. They fly almost exclusively on charter flights, their living areas are almost always top notch, they always have spending money in their pockets, the athletic departments now provide meal services 24/7 like a 5 Star hotel.....they basically want for nothing.

I continue to hear how some of them could make so much money off their likeness. I do not see it unless it is a shoe company or something trying to skirt the rules and get ahead of the game for when the player turns pro. Who is going to pay Zion Williams (without anything related to Duke on his body or in the picture) big money to do something? This is always left out of the equation....but Duke is very important to Zion Williams brand.....Alabama is very important to Tua Tagovailoa's brand. Colleges do not force anyone to attend and play sports in their uniform....it is a choice. If you feel like they are "exploiting" you....do not go. It is really that simple....and the complaint about not being able to turn pro without college is an issue with the professional leagues, not the NCAA. The NCAA is the easy target, but the wrong target. College students are forced to provide free labor every day all year in pursuit of a degree.....students in the medical field spend hours at hospitals learning and practicing.....and it is similar in many other professional fields, but I have yet to hear the media compare that to "slavery".

I've read a lot of posts on this forum, and this may be the worst one I've ever read. I bolded all the terrible points. God bless everyone who read this.

This poster literally never provides intelligent responses in any thread on any subject. He/she chimes in routinely with ignorant commentary about subjects that he/she clearly has little to no knowledge about or simply acts as a tool to piggyback on someones post with unintelligent cynical comments. It never furthers a conversation, makes a counterpoint, and only serves as a weak effort to bait others behind a keyboard. I am not sure why it continues to be allowed.

Takes one to know one

Except I attended college as an undergraduate on an NCAA football scholarship and know how the system really works. I have followed the rule changes closely since I played, and as a professional, I have been a member of teams whose work has been requested and included in two NCAA investigations that resulted in penalties for NCAA institutions. Maybe there are members on LG that are even closer or have even deeper knowledge than I do about the NCAA regulations as it relates to student athletes, but to suggest I am absent of knowledge on the topic is simply a take without knowledge in hopes of undercutting me personally. My response was to a poster that has made it clear for months via comments and actions that they have an issue with me personally, and routinely follows up with similar type posts that do not include any additional information, agreement or specific disagreement. We had a good conversation going on for a couple days with different and good insights. There was nothing false or knowingly inaccurate about my post as it only served to continue the conversation. The response did nothing to add to or continue the conversation, nor was it the 1st or 2nd time that a similar response was posted to my comments by the member, that I have let go without bringing attention to.

In regards to an earlier post about knowing college athletes on scholarship that were "forced" to sell drugs in college, I can only assume that has not been in recent years. There was a time when the NCAA limited how many meals could be served, and there were no cost of attendance stipends. This did result in some athletes from poor backgrounds arriving on campus with some limitations on their needs if they had no private support. Today, cost of attendance stipends put real cash in the student athletes hands, most often larger sums than I ever had in college, yet I always seemed to have money for cheap dates, movies and beer. Also, the NCAA now allows programs to feed athletes 24 hours a day without limits....and facilities are often staffed 12-18 hours a days for made to order healthy meals, and often leave behind coolers full of overnight snacks and treats for athletes in case they get the "munchies" for some reason.

Clearly a small Division II school is not going to have all of the athlete amenities that larger FBS and FCS schools provide, but there is no argument to really be made for these smaller schools. They are not making profits from the sports they offer, and students that had the opportunity to be professionals are not playing at these schools. At these schools, it is really all about choice and no party is taking advantage of the other.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Many athletes at bigger programs already get paid "cost of attendance" stipends larger than the amounts listed in the poll. I am not sure what the numbers are today, but most of the Power 5 school athletes get $5K or more a year, deposited monthly into their bank accounts. It is usually over 8-10 months. Beyond that, they get thousands more funneled to them through loopholes throughout a season. For example, during away games each player gets a per diem amount for food and expenses.....but nothing says the school can not provide that cash directly, and still provide all meals to the student athletes which is what happens.

The biggest lie related to college sports in the media today is that these poor souls are being cheated in some manner. A college athlete in a revenue generating sport at a major program lives like a modern day king. They fly almost exclusively on charter flights, their living areas are almost always top notch, they always have spending money in their pockets, the athletic departments now provide meal services 24/7 like a 5 Star hotel.....they basically want for nothing.

I continue to hear how some of them could make so much money off their likeness. I do not see it unless it is a shoe company or something trying to skirt the rules and get ahead of the game for when the player turns pro. Who is going to pay Zion Williams (without anything related to Duke on his body or in the picture) big money to do something? This is always left out of the equation....but Duke is very important to Zion Williams brand.....Alabama is very important to Tua Tagovailoa's brand. Colleges do not force anyone to attend and play sports in their uniform....it is a choice. If you feel like they are "exploiting" you....do not go. It is really that simple....and the complaint about not being able to turn pro without college is an issue with the professional leagues, not the NCAA. The NCAA is the easy target, but the wrong target. College students are forced to provide free labor every day all year in pursuit of a degree.....students in the medical field spend hours at hospitals learning and practicing.....and it is similar in many other professional fields, but I have yet to hear the media compare that to "slavery".

I've read a lot of posts on this forum, and this may be the worst one I've ever read. I bolded all the terrible points. God bless everyone who read this.

This poster literally never provides intelligent responses in any thread on any subject. He/she chimes in routinely with ignorant commentary about subjects that he/she clearly has little to no knowledge about or simply acts as a tool to piggyback on someones post with unintelligent cynical comments. It never furthers a conversation, makes a counterpoint, and only serves as a weak effort to bait others behind a keyboard. I am not sure why it continues to be allowed.

Takes one to know one

Except I attended college as an undergraduate on an NCAA football scholarship and know how the system really works. I have followed the rule changes closely since I played, and as a professional, I have been a member of teams whose work has been requested and included in two NCAA investigations that resulted in penalties for NCAA institutions. Maybe there are members on LG that are even closer or have even deeper knowledge than I do about the NCAA regulations as it relates to student athletes, but to suggest I am absent of knowledge on the topic is simply a take without knowledge in hopes of undercutting me personally. My response was to a poster that has made it clear for months via comments and actions that they have an issue with me personally, and routinely follows up with similar type posts that do not include any additional information, agreement or specific disagreement. We had a good conversation going on for a couple days with different and good insights. There was nothing false or knowingly inaccurate about my post as it only served to continue the conversation. The response did nothing to add to or continue the conversation, nor was it the 1st or 2nd time that a similar response was posted to my comments by the member, that I have let go without bringing attention to.

In regards to an earlier post about knowing college athletes on scholarship that were "forced" to sell drugs in college, I can only assume that has not been in recent years. There was a time when the NCAA limited how many meals could be served, and there were no cost of attendance stipends. This did result in some athletes from poor backgrounds arriving on campus with some limitations on their needs if they had no private support. Today, cost of attendance stipends put real cash in the student athletes hands, most often larger sums than I ever had in college, yet I always seemed to have money for cheap dates, movies and beer. Also, the NCAA now allows programs to feed athletes 24 hours a day without limits....and facilities are often staffed 12-18 hours a days for made to order healthy meals, and often leave behind coolers full of overnight snacks and treats for athletes in case they get the "munchies" for some reason.

Clearly a small Division II school is not going to have all of the athlete amenities that larger FBS and FCS schools provide, but there is no argument to really be made for these smaller schools. They are not making profits from the sports they offer, and students that had the opportunity to be professionals are not playing at these schools. At these schools, it is really all about choice and no party is taking advantage of the other.

Play nice people.... CAT FIGHT

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: