Need some advice about an accident and establishing fault
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Need some advice about an accident and establishing fault

I was involved in an "accident" last week in a 7-11 parking lot. I use the term "accident" loosely, because I was at a complete stop, and the guy put his car in reverse at full speed and hit me (despite me slamming/honking my horn). I was shocked that someone could go in reverse without looking to see what was behind them. After the fact, he readily admitted that it was his fault, which it obviously was...We exchanged contact information, took pictures, license, insurance, etc.

Since then, I got a few estimates and then forwarded them to him, saying that he could give me cash and we could do it without insurance, otherwise, I would have to file a claim with his insurance company. Long story short, it's been a few days and I haven't heard from him.

My main concern is that if this moves to a claim, WHAT IF he changes his tune and lies about the situation, saying that I was also moving forward. Again, I was at a complete stop. If that were to happen, I dont have witnesses and would have to hassle the businesses in that parking lot for video, of which I'm not sure they will have or will even want to bother with giving me, even if they did.

Would appreciate any advice.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Did you take pictures? If it happened exactly the way you described I think the photographic evidence would make it really hard for him to lie about it.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Not fully tuned in for a reply but first thought is

Where exactly did the cars make contact? Exact bumper to bumper

*Don't assume people are honest in situations like this. Be just like the repo man.

Keep this relationship straight from the get go and don't let it stray. Complete it all as fast as possible.

Props for not being too emotionally involved in this.
If nothing back today I might call and talk to a police officer and see what your protections are.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Did you take pictures? If it happened exactly the way you described I think the photographic evidence would make it really hard for him to lie about it.

Was thinking the same thing as nickuku. My guess is an impact with a stationary car would look a lot different from an impact with 2 moving vehicles.

I also think it would be helpful if your car still happens to be in an non-repaired state, since actual physical evidence of the damage could colloborate your account of the incident.

Last edited by Vanquish on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 am; edited 3 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

Yep
If he hit side of your car with back of his
Seems like you are not capable of doing the opposite

Go drive over and take pictures of his car if you have his address?
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

The impact was pretty straight (back of his car to front of mine)...The main part of the damage was/is underneath not sure if you call it the bumper, but where you screw in the license plate. It tore that hole open, making me unable to put the plate back in. Most places have recommended replacing the bumper.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

You might have a bit of a problem since your damage is on your front bumper rather than the side of your vehicle. Front end damage to your car onto the back of his is typically indicative of a rear end situation. Makes it much easier for him to claim he was stopped and you were the one that ran into him. (as opposed to if he was backing out of a space and hit the side of your vehicle)
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

1) Report the accident to your insurance company immediately. In the event the other party decides to get cute, and this thing ends up being contested, the powers that be generally weight things towards the party who most consistently reacts appropriately, and by law accidents above $400 in damages need to be reported.

2) File an incident report with Police. You want to be first to report your version of events.

3) Take a drive back to the 7-11 and stand in the spot in front of where he was parked and do a slow 360, looking for ATM's, of any surveillance cameras. Provide your findings to your Insurance Claims Adjuster so they are aware that video evidence is likely should they need it during the subrogation process with the other guys Insurance company. This is important to keep any fault from being assigned to your claims history.

4) Now is a good time topurchase that dash cam. I think you can now see the value of it.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

It’s for situations like this, I have been considering a dashcam.

There’s really nothing you can do other than tell your insurance company and let them do the investigating if you don’t hear from the guy in a few days.

Speaking of dash cams, anyone got one or know of one you’d recommend?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

There’s really nothing you can do other than tell your insurance company and let them do the investigating if you don’t hear from the guy in a few days.

I rolled with this cheapy from Amazon for most of the past year and a half, until my car was stolen in August, and it worked just fine with surprisingly decent quality video.

Cheapy DashCam

I just purchased this replacement Dashcam last month and it's got more bells and whistles, but honestly, unless you're planning on making drive vids, or are an Uber Driver, the cheapy above is sufficient. I just ended up purchasing the nicer unit below because I was in the "Just got a new car" phase where you purchase goodies in the 1st month of ownership that you wouldn't otherwise.

Dual Channel Dashcam
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I rolled with this cheapy from Amazon for most of the past year and a half, until my car was stolen in August, and it worked just fine with surprisingly decent quality video.

Cheapy DashCam

I just purchased this replacement Dashcam last month and it's got more bells and whistles, but honestly, unless you're planning on making drive vids, or are an Uber Driver, the cheapy above is sufficient. I just ended up purchasing the nicer unit below because I was in the "Just got a new car" phase where you purchase goodies in the 1st month of ownership that you wouldn't otherwise.

Dual Channel Dashcam

Just curious, does the more expensive have wifi for phone connection like the cheapy?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Driving in LA I consider a dashcam as a must have. There's just an epidemic of road stupidity that seems to get worse every year as they cram more people into the city.

I went with a model (Rexing V1) that had good ratings on Amazon that didn't require professional installation.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject:

So, barring some changes, I might be in luck here...He's willing to pay the cash. I'll be meeting him tomorrow at the auto shop, where he'll pay them directly (probably to make sure I dont pocket it). I'll definitely look into a dash cam for the future.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
So, barring some changes, I might be in luck here...He's willing to pay the cash. I'll be meeting him tomorrow at the auto shop, where he'll pay them directly (probably to make sure I dont pocket it). I'll definitely look into a dash cam for the future.

I have one its a small investment to avoid potentially a gigantic headache.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Cheapy DashCam

Dual Channel Dashcam

Just curious, does the more expensive have wifi for phone connection like the cheapy?

No. The company has another model for $30 more that has the WiFi capability. That's the one I'd originally ordered, but Amazon screwed up and sent me this one & when I reported the error they apologised that the other one was no longer in stock an offered me a $50 gift card towards future orders, so I decided I could live without it sense I actually only transferred footage from the old dashcam like once every 3 months or so.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Cheapy DashCam

Dual Channel Dashcam

No. The company has another model for $30 more that has the WiFi capability. That's the one I'd originally ordered, but Amazon screwed up and sent me this one & when I reported the error they apologised that the other one was no longer in stock an offered me a $50 gift card towards future orders, so I decided I could live without it sense I actually only transferred footage from the old dashcam like once every 3 months or so.

How is the battery life on these things? How many hours/gig do you get in a memory card?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Cheapy DashCam

Dual Channel Dashcam

Thanks!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Do you have a photo that indicates your car was in the parking spot while his wasn't?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I had a similar thing where a car in front of me was parked but rolled back into the front of my car a parking spot away when the owner didn't set the parking brake apparently. Anyway, when he came back to his car, I pulled out my phone and took video of the damage, then just held it in my hand still recording while he was talking and admitting fault, etc. You never know when someone might change their story later (happens to people all the time) and just having that puts that at ease. So, advice is always pull out the phone and record as soon as you can.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

How is the battery life on these things? How many hours/gig do you get in a memory card?

The battery life of the cheapy one was pretty much non existent (maybe 30 seconds) but it was meant to be hardwired. It came with a cigarette lighter plug, but that's pretty useless if you want the cam to film when parked since most cigarette lighters are switched. So I ended up hardwiring it to the unswitched power lead so it's always on.

The battery life of the Dual Channel is only marginally better (maybe 3 minutes) but just like the cheapy, it's meant to be hardwired.

The cheapy will record a little more than 12 hours on a 128gb micro SD card, and can be set to loop and start recording over the oldest footage.

The dual channel has more options. I'll list from shortest to longest, all for 128gb micros sd card:

Both channels recording on 1080 resolution = 13 hours
Single channel recording on 1080 resolution = 20 hours

Both channels recording on 720 resolution = 14 hours
Single channel recording on 720 resolution = 24 hours

Both channels recording on 480 resolution = 16 hours
Single channel recording on 480 resolution = 28 hours
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

^ Thanks!

Might look into the Rexing V1. Some pretty cheap ones on ebay.

Got into my first accident (knock on wood) in 25 years of driving last year. Thankfully I'm surrounded by legal help but the dash cam would have saved a LOT of headaches for me.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

You probably should both sign a release, saying you both acknowledge what happened, agree that his compensating you constitutes a settlement, and both agree to close the matter and pursue it no further.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

You probably should both sign a release, saying you both acknowledge what happened, agree that his compensating you constitutes a settlement, and both agree to close the matter and pursue it no further.

Yeah, was just going to post something along these lines.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

In California, does the law require one party or both parties know a conversation is being recorded? Also, would that even matter if the conversation took place in a public parking lot? I would not have thought to do this, but while taking pictures, a person could also video the damage while the conversation was taking place confirming who was at fault capturing the audio on the recording. The other party would not even really know they were being recorded.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
In California, does the law require one party or both parties know a conversation is being recorded? Also, would that even matter if the conversation took place in a public parking lot? I would not have thought to do this, but while taking pictures, a person could also video the damage while the conversation was taking place confirming who was at fault capturing the audio on the recording. The other party would not even really know they were being recorded.

That's a really good idea.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: