OFFICIAL: College Basketball 2018-19 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

#20 TCU opened their season tonight @ home against Cal State Bakersfield, and needed a big 2nd half comeback to win....not a good look for Jamie Dixon's team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I have never been more embarrassed by a WVU basketball team as I was tonight. We lost a home opener to Buffalo 99-94 in OT, the first home opener we have lost in 20 years. Buffalo brought back most of the team that knocked off Arizona last year in the NCAA Tournament by 21 points, and should be a Top 25 ranked team this year....but losing the game is not what was humiliating. WVU basketball teams do not give up 99 points to anyone! In recent years Huggins has built an identity at WVU as one of the most hard nosed defensive programs in the country, and I honestly did not see one player on the court tonight that even looked remotely aware of how to play defense. It was clear, sad and shocking in how much Jevon Carter and Dexter Miles meant to the WVU program over the last 4 seasons. They were the only seniors last year, and the only missing pieces, and apparently the only players that actually could play defense. Huggins called off the iconic press at one point because it was embarrassingly pathetic.....and Buffalo who also presses was making Press Virginia look like amateur hour.

We made baskets tonight, but it did not come off of good offense....but just guys hitting shots; something that simply will not happen every night. Actually, Beetle Bolden (starting PG) went out of the game with about 4 minutes left in the 4th Quarter with what looked like a serious knee injury as he had to be carried off the court. At the time, we held near a 10 point lead, and he was the leading scorer with 21 points. After he left, we could not score allowing Buffalo to close the gap and tie the game. If Bolden has a serious injury, this season will only get worse.

Make no mistake, Buffalo is good and will likely win 25+ games this season, and be in the NCAA tournament.....but unless WVU significantly improves, the current #13 ranking is laughable, and they will struggle to make the tournament. This defense will be eviscerated in Big12 play.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

Duke takes the #1 spot in the AP Poll, Kentucky slips from #4 to #10, and WVU falls from #13 to unranked after losing to Buffalo.

AP Top #25 11/12

Have to say, I did not expect WVU to fall out of polls after 1 loss....you thought enough of Buffalo to rank them, and losing to them in OT does not seem like it should be a 13 spot drop. That said, not going to complain, maybe it wakes them up. Also, not sure I would have moved Duke ahead of Kansas yet.....Kansas has looked good, and I think Kentucky struggling with SIU illustrates the win over Kentucky was far more about Kentucky being over ranked.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Eh. College basketball polls are sort of pointless. It's just stuff for people in the media to talk about. Talk to me in March when we discuss bubble teams and seeding. In football, I can bring myself to care a little bit about the polls because it actually matters who gets ranked at the top. In basketball, pretty much everyone in the big conferences with a pulse gets invited to the tournament.

I agree about Kentucky. I watched the highlight reel for Zion Williamson. It was like Calipari recruited a bunch of matadors this year. However, Calipari usually gets his kids playing better by mid-season.

As for West Virginia, you're just paying the price for leaving Wheeling Jesuit off the schedule. Don't think that the rest of us didn't notice.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

#18 Michigan wins @ #8 Villanova 73 to 46

Radford wins @ Notre Dame 63 to 60
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Syracuse misspells 'Boeheim' on back of jersey of coach's son

Quote:
The last name on the jersey worn by Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim's son, Buddy Boeheim, was misspelled in a Thursday night matchup against UConn.

Buddy Boeheim's name was spelled "Boheim" instead of "Boeheim" on his No. 35 jersey during the 2K Empire Classic at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

LINK

of all the names for Syracuse to misspell.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

right when I begin to feel sorry for myself over WVU's rough start....I think of Villanova fans, and realize it could be worse....losing to the Furman Paladins at home a couple nights after getting blown out by Michigan at home....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I did not watch the Arizona/Gonzaga game last night....but noticed 'Zona was up at the halftime, and know this is not one of Arizona's best rosters. I thought just another year of Gonzaga being overrated! Then this morning I saw what they did to Arizona in the 2nd half.....guess they are for real.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Add Duke to the list of believers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Unranked Texas beats #7 UNC.....

Big12 is shaping up to once again be the best conference in the country when viewed top to bottom. WVU and TCU has struggled a little out of the gate, but I doubt they will be "bad" teams. I honestly do not see any "bad" teams in the conference. There were doubts about Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, but they have showed signs of strength early in the season. ACC still appears to be the strongest at the top of the conference, maybe followed by the Big10.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

UCLA has been a no show tonight against Michigan State.....I do not think Michigan State is this much better than UCLA this year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Add Duke to the list of believers.

no doubt.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

Week 4 AP Top 25

Gonzaga takes over as #1, barely edging out Kansas.

LINK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

The Jayhawks' check must have bounced.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Everyone (including me) hated the antiquated RPI system that the NCAA used for tournament selection and seedings.....so they finally scrapped it, and introduced what was suppose to be a modern analytics driven model referred to as NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool). The first rankings are out....and you decide...

LINK

I assume everyone thought Ohio State would be the #1 team in the country, and Texas Tech was better than Duke?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

We'll see what it looks like around February 1. The data is limited at this point, and perceptions tend to be driven by media polls and pundit hype. We may look back on this on February 1 and say, "Wow, Ohio State really was a lot better than people thought." Or we may just see it as a data anomaly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

This is sort of funny, really. The NCAA should never have released these rankings until there was enough data to prevent all of the weird results. You can see the rankings start to take a more coherent form, but still . . .

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings (Note that my comments relate to the version of the rankings on a page with the notation "Through Games NOV. 28, 2018." These rankings will change. Duh.)

Belmont at #9 and San Francisco at #12 are the anomalies that jump out. But we also see Syracuse jumping from 118th to 40th after beating Ohio State. UNLV dropped from 45th to 136th after losing to Valparaiso. Rice dropped from 265th to 276th after losing to Texas State.

Memo to the NCAA: Next year, don't release these rankings until about Christmas.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Radford goes into Austin and beats #17 Texas.....Radford went to South Bend earlier in the season and beat Notre Dame. I have a feeling no P6 team is going to want to draw Radford in March.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

FURMAN is ranked in the AP!

Week 5 AP Rankings
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

Amazing half court shot by Kentucky to tie the game against Seton Hall to put it in overtime.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

This is the first year in several years where I have not seen any teams that appear to be dominant so far in college basketball....sure Duke and Kansas are good, but both are more beatable than most years. Gonzaga barely escaped with a home win against Washington. Michigan looked good early, but now they are getting close wins....Michigan State barely beat a bad Florida team today. Just not a lot of separation between the 10th best team and the 25th best team in my opinion. I think this could be the year of the mid majors come March!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Keep an eye on Buffalo....they have games @ 'Cuse on 12/18 and @ Marquette on 12/21....if they can get threw those two games with wins, I am not seeing a likely loss on their schedule. They are legit.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

#1 Gonzaga loses to #7 Tennessee.....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Down goes Nova...

#17 Villanova - 75
Penn - 78
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

things are getting bad in Lexington....Kentucky sophomore guard Quade Green who was a 5 star prospect announces he is transferring in the middle of the season.

LINK
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: