Luol Deng 3 games 3 DNP Coaches decision

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Luol Deng 3 games 3 DNP Coaches decision

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/timberwolves-luol-deng-stuck-on-bench-in-season-opener/

Yes I know it’s two games into the season. He gave up 7.5 million to play signed with his ex coach and isn’t playing. After Thibs gets canned he’s probably out of the league. One of the worst contracts ever given out
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Luol Deng 3 games 3 DNP Coaches decision

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/timberwolves-luol-deng-stuck-on-bench-in-season-opener/

Yes I know it’s two games into the season. He gave up 7.5 million to play signed with his ex coach and isn’t playing. After Thibs gets canned he’s probably out of the league. One of the worst contracts ever given out

Well, he gave up $7.6 million from the Lakers, but he got $2.2 million for the Twolves so he is $5.4 million down right now. I suspect some team would sign him as veteran presence for the minimum next year so I doubt he's going to lose much money. Either way, I suspect he'll get by.

I am surprised he hasn't played.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

We gave him 17m a year. Wow.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Luol Deng 3 games 3 DNP Coaches decision

activeverb wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:

Well, he gave up $7.6 million from the Lakers, but he got $2.2 million for the Twolves so he is $5.4 million down right now. I suspect some team would sign him as veteran presence for the minimum next year so I doubt he's going to lose much money. Either way, I suspect he'll get by.

I am surprised he hasn't played.

$5.4mil, that’s a lotta money. I thought for sure he ‘knew’ he’ll get playing time with a team before giving that much $ back
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

What happened to this guy? 33 is old, but it isn't *that* old.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Funny you mention he’s 33, LeBron is also 33 and is averaging above 20PPG while trying to find balance with his teammates, people like making fun of Ibaka being old then he is but at least he can play lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Funny you mention he’s 33, LeBron is also 33 and is averaging above 20PPG while trying to find balance with his teammates, people like making fun of Ibaka being old then he is but at least he can play lol

Ibaka just turned 29.

He's younger than Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, James Harden and Demar DeRozan.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

He's officially 33 but the earth may have made more trips around the sun than that since he was born.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Deng's story is very puzzling to me. I haven't heard anything that explains anything. There doesn't appear to be some kind of severe mental problem or something like that. At one point, before the Pau trade, there were serious talks of Kobe being traded to the Bulls with Deng as the centerpiece, he was quite a good player.

The contract is bad, but that happens a lot. REmember Brian Grant? That was worse. We were giving him $15mill a year for nothing at a time when that was MAX money (that's probably what Kobe was getting at the time!).

Who knows what has happened. I'd love to know if anyone has insight.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Deng's story is very puzzling to me. I haven't heard anything that explains anything. There doesn't appear to be some kind of severe mental problem or something like that. At one point, before the Pau trade, there were serious talks of Kobe being traded to the Bulls with Deng as the centerpiece, he was quite a good player.

The contract is bad, but that happens a lot. REmember Brian Grant? That was worse. We were giving him $15mill a year for nothing at a time when that was MAX money (that's probably what Kobe was getting at the time!).

Who knows what has happened. I'd love to know if anyone has insight.

Deng's play just declined drastically which happens when athletes get old. If one goes by his official age (33), such a drastic decline is not supposed to happen other than because of injury.

What I think really happened was that we, and now the wolves bought a lemon. Deng is probably older than his stated age (this has long been rumored to be the case and is my guess too given his recent play) and he no longer has what it takes to play at nba level. Also Deng is not helped by the fact that the game in general has changed in a manner that doesn't fit into his preferred playing stye (i.e. gotten faster).

It is what it is. Mitch should have probably been more skeptical but that's water under the bridge now.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

He's officially 33 but the earth may have made more trips around the sun than that since he was born.

We're still going with this African's don't know their own age nonsense? From a mod at that?

His family escaped the Second Sudanese Civil War. That began no earlier than 1983. Deng was born in 85. So you're saying he was born well before the war and was like 10 when he shows up in Brixton? But Manute Bol didn't decide to teach Loul basketball, despite being obviously half way to grown up. He just taught his older brother--who was also obviously lying about his age?

Look, if there is substantial evidence his entire backstory is b.s. I would love to see it. Like did his family really escape the first Sudanese Civil War, and Luol shows up in Brixton in the mid-70s as a kid, but didn't bother to enroll in high school until the mid-90s? Otherwise I think this is more of the typical African's can't tell time or keep records racist nonsense. Some guys fall apart earlier than others. He'd hardly be the first NBA player to fall off the cliff in his early 30s. He would hardly be the first NBA player who's career ended do to being on the wrong teams at the wrong times and losing rotation time. These are the most parsimonious answers, not that he's secretly in his late 50 and fought in the First Sudanese Civil War, snuck into the UK pretending to be a child, and then eluded the British educational system for over a decade, and then somehow evading the attention of Manute Bol, despite being a fully grown man. Yeah.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: