Mega Millions 1.6 Billion.. 10.20.18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is 1.6 Billion Dollars time to buy a lotto ticket just because of the chance?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 21 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 25

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:

Workplace $ pool time!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Workplace $ pool time!

Yup!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
soon after I graduated college, a local guy in WV won $315 Million in PowerBall. it was one of the biggest jackpots at the time. He was already financially well off. I did not know him personally, but knew several people that knew him fairly well. He bought the ticket less than a mile from my apartment. His life went to total (bleep) after he won.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/28/500-million-powerball-jackpot-the-tragic-stories-of-the-lotterys-unluckiest-winners/slide/andrew-jack-whittaker/

Oh, Jeez, he left 545K and 200K in his car at a strip club to be stolen both times. That's a cracker mentality. He was mistrustful of banks. Another tipoff re: cracker is that his name was Andrew, but went by the nickname Jack. "My name is Andrew, but call me Jack..."

Down at the bottom, there's an arrow to Billie Bob's tale of woes, haha. Billie Bob. Not even kidding.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The odds of winning it are about the same as someone from another country being told that we’ve picked one random person that he has to find. Every ticket is like him walking up to a stranger and asking if they are the person. Your odds go up with each person you ask, but you could do this for a lifetime without getting close.

Yes, everyone knows that the odds are extremely low but at this amount it's worth throwing a few bucks at just in case because the fact is someone has to win at some point
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The odds of winning it are about the same as someone from another country being told that we’ve picked one random person that he has to find. Every ticket is like him walking up to a stranger and asking if they are the person. Your odds go up with each person you ask, but you could do this for a lifetime without getting close.

Yes, everyone knows that the odds are extremely low but at this amount it's worth throwing a few bucks at just in case because the fact is someone has to win at some point

Sure. My point wasn’t to tell you not to buy a ticket. I did. It’s just weird to represent the odds in a way that shows you how low they are.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sure. My point wasn’t to tell you not to buy a ticket. I did. It’s just weird to represent the odds in a way that shows you how low they are.

Yeah, there are some ridiculous things that the odds of happening are better than winning the mega millions. You're twice as likely to get crushed by a vending machine than to win the Mega.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Workplace $ pool time!

It will be an empty work place Wed morning if that thing hits.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
soon after I graduated college, a local guy in WV won $315 Million in PowerBall. it was one of the biggest jackpots at the time. He was already financially well off. I did not know him personally, but knew several people that knew him fairly well. He bought the ticket less than a mile from my apartment. His life went to total (bleep) after he won.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/28/500-million-powerball-jackpot-the-tragic-stories-of-the-lotterys-unluckiest-winners/slide/andrew-jack-whittaker/

I think losing your anonymity is the biggest casualty of being a lottery winner. Everyone knows you are rich and wants a piece of the winnings. Compared to somebody who might have acquired their wealth thru wise investments or businesses.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
nope ill never ever play the lottery. The biggest gamble I'll take is betting a few bucks on the pass line + odds on craps... and thats only if Im getting served comp drinks.

How would anyone with that attitude ever end up near a craps table?

well thats easy... as a math guy I dont really gamble. But if im in Vegas with the wife I'll hit up a craps table to burn time as its actually a fun game to play with a good table crowd going and comp drinks flowing in. And with playing pass/dont pass with full odds its as safe a bet as you can possibly get.

Definitely the best game for sure - even more fun when you start spreading your money around and covering numbers, even though the match says not to.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, there are some ridiculous things that the odds of happening are better than winning the mega millions. You're twice as likely to get crushed by a vending machine than to win the Mega.

Someone's gotta get crushed, and someone's gotta win the Mega . . . might as well be the latter.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Someone's gotta get crushed, and someone's gotta win the Mega . . . might as well be the latter.

Imagine if both happen to you
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Oh, Jeez, he left 545K and 200K in his car at a strip club to be stolen both times. That's a cracker mentality. He was mistrustful of banks. Another tipoff re: cracker is that his name was Andrew, but went by the nickname Jack. "My name is Andrew, but call me Jack..."

Down at the bottom, there's an arrow to Billie Bob's tale of woes, haha. Billie Bob. Not even kidding.

that strip club was a converted KFC....I know that probably does not matter...but at the same time it feels so much worse.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:

that strip club was a converted KFC....I know that probably does not matter...but at the same time it feels so much worse.

The strip club should've retained KFC's old slogan in that case. Then again, adult dancing establishments do have different levels of quality just like chicken dining establishments. I'd have to see the gurlz to know if the slogan applies or is probably not an appealing idea.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
adkindo wrote:

The strip club should've retained KFC's old slogan in that case.

it is closed now, but you can tell from the picture....it was a high class joint....Pink Pony Image

the last Yelp review....

Quote:
This hole in the wall has been closed every since powerball winner Jake Whittaker had several thousands of dollars stolen out of his truck, which he left unlocked in the parking lot of a strip club. I mean REALLY! Who is that stupid!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

At least one winning ticket in South Carolina.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the point in playing the lottery. Instead of spending what amounts to a few hundred dollars a year on lotto tickets (if you play every week), I'd rather invest that money on something that will actually bring me a solid ROI. Or gamble on something that actually involves skill so that I can have some kind of control over whether I'll win.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I don't see the point in playing the lottery. Instead of spending what amounts to a few hundred dollars a year on lotto tickets (if you play every week), I'd rather invest that money on something that will actually bring me a solid ROI. Or gamble on something that actually involves skill so that I can have some kind of control over whether I'll win.

Most people are spending a few bucks for a day or two of irrational hopes and wild dreams.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

What’s the ROI on a theater ticket, or a tank of gas to take a scenic drive?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Yup. The lotto is as much a form of entertainment as anything else.

Except even better because you can write off your losses
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Btw did y’all see there was one person in that article who won TWO jackpots within 5 months?! It said the odds of that were 1 in 15 TRILLION.

Needless to say she still went broke
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

1 winner of the 1.6B Powerball from South Carolina. Damn that's a lot of money, even when taking the lump sum option.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject:

^ over $900 million. Their life will never be the same..
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
^ over $900 million. Their life will never be the same..

I saw a breakdown recently that the cash option will result in $550-$625 Million (depending on the state) after taxes.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Can't win if you don't play.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
slavavov wrote:

What’s the ROI on a theater ticket, or a tank of gas to take a scenic drive?

I'm talking about people who play the lottery on the reg. Buying one only when the jackpot is this high may not be a bad thing, but if you play every week, it adds up and that money should be put to better use.

There are some really solid and trustworthy self-employment/business opportunities out there that only require an investment of no more than a few hundred dollars, which is how much money you'd be throwing away (at least) if you play the lottery every week or two.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: